Author Topic: for the hundreth time - cat litter  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: for the hundreth time - cat litter
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »
glad I'm not the only one!!  the wilko didn't really do it for me, the biocare is very good and clumps very well but there is no way it will last 50 days as claimed, its only been a week and to me looks like it will go in the bin tomorrow

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 04:14:14 AM »
I have got a sensitive nose!!  I've been known to get up on the night and change the tray if I can smell it!  we have to have a tray in an upstairs room to accommodate the peace process at home between willow and tilly

I'm always up in the middle of the night empty-handed smelly trays as soon as they've used it in in like Flyn and chuck it down the loo.

Hence writing this at really stupid o'clock, emptying litter tray   ;D Just got to wait 15 minutes to emty it after Astrophe uses it. They always go within 20 minutes of each other at night

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 12:15:03 PM »
I used to love OKO, until they changed it about 5 years ago and the clumps started breaking up. I guess it depends what type of diggers the cats are. I tried a similar one, called Greenwoods, but it was the same as (the newer) OKO, so I switched to clay clumping - I only do a full change around once a month - even less, since the new cats tend to go outside most of the time. Of all the litters I have tried, Sanicat professional clumping gold seems to be the best. Tesco sell 5L bags for around £5, but I pay £14 for 3 x 6L (the boxes from ooplus are bigger than the ones from Tesco) and that lasts for months. Even when we had Kylie, with her gut issues, 3 boxes last a couple of months.

As with the wood litter, I always found that the trick was to fill it deep enough so clumps didn't reach the bottom of the tray. The clumps set like cement in minutes, so easy to get rid of solids. Important have the right kind of scoop for clay litter though. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/accessories/98036

The bonus is, it isn't overly 'baby powder' scented -just a nice smell.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:18:47 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 08:37:22 AM »
I have got a sensitive nose!!  I've been known to get up on the night and change the tray if I can smell it!  we have to have a tray in an upstairs room to accommodate the peace process at home between willow and tilly

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 16:26:34 PM »
Tried Catsan but have gone back to Sainsbury's basic. Cheap at under £2 for a fair size bag, so at that price you can change litter more frequently :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 02:10:00 AM »
HAVE 3 CATS AND UMM 3 TRAYS CURRENTLY ALL HUGE AND GO THRO 30 LITRE BAG OF WOOD PELLETS A WEEK APPROX!

I DONT CHANGE THE TRAY COMPLETELY UNLESS ALL USED BUT THAT IS REGULARLY AND LUPIN WILL NOT USE THE TRAY IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS!

SOME HAVE TO HAVE USED LITTER TAKEN OUT EVERY DAY WHEN I GET UP, BEFORE I GO TO BED AND SOMETIMES BETWEEN! OK THATS MAINLY THE KITCHEN TRAY BUT THE 2 UPSTAIRS CAN BE USED AS WELL SO THATS SASA AND LUPIN BUT ALL 3 USE THE KITCHEN ONE.

DURING SUMMER NOT QUITE AS BAD BUT LUPIN CANT GET THE IDEA HE CAN GO OUTSIDE. HE WILL COME IN TO USE THE TRAY AND THEN WANT TO GO OUT AGAIN .......SIGH

SADLY MISA AND SASA CANT GET OUT NOW WITHOUT ME OPENING THE DOOR. THEY WOULD LOVE TO COME AND GO AS THEY USED TO.

MISA AND SASA ARE BOTH BIG CATS AND SO IS LUPIN LENGTH WISE.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 18:32:25 PM »
I use Oko as well, have two indoor cats and 3 litter trays. Very rarely change the cat litter completely, I just scoop and then add new litter when it's getting low.   

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 13:58:02 PM »
Are you putting it in deep enough, Dawn?  You shouldn't have to change clumping litter weekly because the whole idea is that you scoop out the clumps leaving behind only clean litter. You need a good 3-4 inches. Occasionally I spot clean bits if it's clear something's stuck to the bottom of the tray by spraying a bit of disinfectant onto a paper towel. I am a bit cautious when it comes to litter trays so do tend to give them a wash out every 4-6 weeks just to make sure there's nothing stuck to the bottom, but when I do that I put the same litter back into the tray. As Mosi and Kito are indoor cats they use trays exclusively and I don't need to do a complete change over more frequently. I probably don't need to do it that often tbh but I like the idea of starting over with fresh litter at least that often.

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 13:27:07 PM »
Every three months what am I doing wrong! I suppose I do have three cats but they do have garden access we are trying wilko this week
Try this one Dawn, we got this when we first Butter from CPL  :)
http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/cat-wood-litter-30l-297129

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 13:16:58 PM »
Every three months what am I doing wrong! I suppose I do have three cats but they do have garden access we are trying wilko this week

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
Oko plus here. It does track but Kito kicks litter everywhere anyway so whatever I use there's litter all over the place. I only change the whole tray every 3 months. I pay £24 for a 40 litre bag from zooplus and that lasts 3 months I ncluding 1 tray change for each tray (I have 2 extremely large trays)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
I buy Tesco Premium Ultra Clumping now - very fine white granules, and comes in 5 litre bags with built in handle, so convenient for anyone like me who can't lug around, or store, big bags
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »
cheap is good!  I've been using oko for years but am changing the tray weekly so it might as well be something cheaper

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 02:47:37 AM »
I buy Bob Martin wood pellets £1.20 for 5L,
Although Butter doesn't actually use his tray, it's just there for emergencies because he is locked in at nightime now after a big tabby and white cat kept coming in at nightime and scaring him and eating his food   >:(

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 23:44:30 PM »
I would say a bit smaller than Catsan, Pippin, Bob, Pirate and surprisingly Emo all have quite delicate paws. They, unfortunately have no problem. I would rather they stuck to the great outdoors, but when the weather is as bad as last weekend, they ALL use the trays. :naughty:

(Can't say I blame them :rofl:)
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 22:10:36 PM »
Buddy is using Okoplus clumping wood litter at the moment. He was using wood pellet stuff st the RSPCA, but I wanted clumping ideally, and the lady at the pet shop recommended it to us. Have to say, smell and cleanliness wise it's been good, only issues is that it's quite light so tracks out a little bit.

Another plus is that you can flush it a clump at a time.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 19:00:29 PM »

Shredded cardboard and paper with a sprinkling of wood pellets.
15l bag of wood pellets £2.99 from home bargains lasts about 6 weeks

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 17:18:09 PM »
 :hug:   My Billy likes the gel crystal sort about £2 a bag at home bargains or B &  M discount nearby. Not a woodchip boy at all.  :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 17:13:09 PM »
How small are the granules of the Tesco one Paula?

We used the wood pellets for many years but Madam Sky doesn't like them. I try to use stuff with really small granules as she only has ikkul paws.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 17:06:51 PM »
I use the Tesco value cat litter, it is clumping, doesn't smell except when pooed in and is £1.55 for a large bag, I think without checking, 10 litres. I have tried Catsan, wood based litters and keep going back to the Tesco cheap one.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 16:46:22 PM »
SORRY DONT USE CLUMPING HERE SMART CAT WOOD PELLETS

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 15:22:22 PM »
Wilko ultra clumping isn't bad.  We've used it before.

We always go back to Catsan though.  :innocent:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
for the hundreth time - cat litter
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 14:52:20 PM »
anyone tried:

biocare diamond cat

wilko ultra clumping

thoughts or recommendations please!

Link to CatChat