Author Topic: Charlie and Harry have been neutered  (Read 2368 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Charlie and Harry have been neutered
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 15:47:09 PM »
That's great news  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
  • Jessica pooh,Chi man,Chicken
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 15:27:12 PM »
Im glad to hear they are both back to there normal selfs.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 14:33:50 PM »
Oh that's a good news, I was just going to ask you how they are getting on as I came on!  It is indeed a relief about Charlie, and I can imagine they must be so much happier now!! ;D

Offline CharlieFarley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 14:03:47 PM »
Well the vet says it is a reaction to an injection so theres a relief.  The fact that I specifically asked the receptionist that and she said it wouldn't be is mildly infuriating but at least its been checked.   :doh:

Oh and the vet said the cones can come off so our boys were much happier last night and just washed themselves everywhere for hours - they were wet to touch by the time they'd finished!  :rofl:

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 17:52:54 PM »
I hope it all went well at the vets and they got to the bottom of the lump could be a reaction to the sedation. I would take the buster collar off some times it can cause more stress. only if they seem to be leaving the area alone. With the cathaters some veterinary hospitals use them with every op no matter how routine but no they are not really needed.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 14:03:14 PM »
my Charlie was neutered 10 days ago and he didn't have a cone either.  He was bouncing round like a lunatic as soon as he got home much to my dismay.  Hope your boys are ok and the vet visit goes well

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »
I hope Charlie is ok and that the lump is nothing to worry about  :hug:

I've never heard of male cats been given cones after neutering either.  It's such a small incision.  But I suppose if they're licking the area if might be necessary.  I suppose it's the same with any op - it's a case of whether they're bothering the area or not.  When Mosi had abdominal surgery they didn't put a cone on him but said that if he bothered the area a lot I should go back for one.  Despite licking around the area a lot (to clean the fur I think) he didn't bother with the actual incision at all so didn't need one.

Offline CharlieFarley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 10:55:55 AM »
Just phoned vet about the lump, they said they have no idea why hes developed a lump, he wouldn't have been injected anywhere other than his paw.  Getting worried now  :scared:  Hes got an appointment at 545 so vibes please!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 23:17:20 PM »
Definately call the vet about the lump.  :hug:

I think I must be being dumb here but thought the neutering op for a male was so quick and simple , I cant understand why catheters were needed.......is this usual?

Offline CharlieFarley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 22:20:17 PM »
Yes they are definately boys!  The vet said they had been licking so she had to cone them, they also pulled their cathaters out and covered themselves in blood, stupid animals!  :innocent:

I think i will look at taking the cones off tomorrow, the vet said they had to be on for 10 days but that seems more than a little excessive!

The only things that concerns me is Charlie has a lump on his back thats getting bigger by the day, i assume its where they injected him to antesatise him.  I'll be ringing the vets tomorrow.

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 17:23:33 PM »
I dont normally give buster collars out. I only send them home with one if i have seen the licking alot but thats it. you can always take it of them when your with them around the house, and if you dont see them licking and the area where they had testicals look fine (not swollen or red) then i would take it off.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 12:05:03 PM »
i have had one male who needed a cone, but that was due to an undescended testicle, so they had to 'dig' for it and he had a stitch on his belly. I can only assume as they have both been done they have done it to stop them licking each other - my neighbours male cat had a cone due to licking too much.
Please spay your cat

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 21:25:59 PM »
My 6 month boy got neutered last Wednesday. He didn't have a cone. He was very quiet when I got him home and the morning after (he slept A LOOOOOOOOT) Soon after that he perked up. I didn't have to change anything, I just let him get on with everything as normal .. same food, same everything. He's nicely healed up now and you wouldn't know he was only done last week. He had a little scab of dried blood a couple of days later but that was it.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 19:15:26 PM »
yep, never heard of boys wearing cones - sounds like a way to get extra money for a needless accessory, unless they turned out to be girls ... :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 17:23:04 PM »
They are definately boys?  :shify: :shify:

Iv not yet had a male cat who needs a cone after being neutered, i would re check with your vet and take them off.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 17:17:14 PM »
Boys dont usually need cones after nuetering so am a bit confused

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 14:04:33 PM »
I have some experience of Archie wearing a cone after two ops. They obviously do not like it at first,but they do get more used to them. If you can get it back on it might be an idea to take it off whilst he eats, otherwise try a saucer. You can get a collar that is easier to wear called the Bite Not, but by the time they arrive it might be too late now if they are only wearing them for a few days.
Archie had noisy breathing after one of his ops so he was taken back in for observation, vet though it was caused by tube during op. Its something to be aware of.
Archie was quite quiet after neut. but this quickly wore off. He also kept rubbing his poor bot on the floor.
If you have any concerns just give the vet a ring.
Best of luck. :hug:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 13:54:10 PM »
Well the big step is over and you all must be relieved! :hug:  I hope Charlie will be okay, usually the op doesn't present any worrysome side effects, though some cats stay sleepy longer than others.  Sorry I don't have any experience with a cat wearing a cone, but honestly this is the first time I heard of a cat having to wear a cone after the neutering operation.  surely my Oliver didn't have to wear one and had no trouble whatsoever.  I am sure the vet will give you instructions, feeding, how long to keep it on etc. before you guys go home but if they don't ask anything you need to ask!

As far as the personality changes, depends on the cat I suppose.  Many says the cats sort of slow and mellow down after that, but nothing has changed with Oliver, after 2 and half months he is still hyper as ever!

Keep us posted, my best wishes are with you and the gorgeous brothers :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 13:34:14 PM »
Hiya, I can't answer any of the questions as my boy was 'done' when I rescued him, but glad they're both OK, and I hope Charlie hasn't had any adverse reactions  :hug:

They'll be running around like loons later on, and you'll be wondering what you were worried about I'm sure  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline CharlieFarley

• Adult Cat
Charlie and Harry have been neutered
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 13:15:24 PM »
They were a nightmare last night, normally they're fed before bed and it settles them down for the night, well obviously last night I couldn't feed them so they were hurtling around like mad things crashing every where til 2am, then I was woken at 5am by Harry insisting on licking my face incessently  :tired: So in total I've had 4 hours sleep!

Anyway, they've been done and are coming round fine we can pick them up later.  However they're coming home with Cones on - poor things!  I guess this will make eating difficult?  Normally they have a rectangular bowl split into 2 sections they both eat from but i can't see that working, what should we use instead?  How long are they likely to need to cone for?  And how on earth am I going to share my pillow tonight with a 6 month old kitten wearing a cone?!  :doh:

Also are there any key things to look out for??  Charlie reacts to the vaccines and has already had one emergency vet trip since having him which we have no idea what caused it so I have a sinking feeling hes going to be a bit under the weather for the next few days - anything in particular I should worry about??

Also should I see a big change in personality at all?

Sorry for all the questions, can you tell I'm new at this!  :shy:

Link to CatChat