Author Topic: Cat breeding  (Read 12069 times)

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
Re: Cat breeding
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 19:12:52 PM »
Free to a good home = used as bait to train fighting dogs,used for vivisection or the fur trade.

And no sadly I'm not being overdramatic,this can be the harsh reality of a free to a good home kitten's life  :'(

ccmacey

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 19:08:22 PM »
What are your reason's for wanting your cat to breed? Are you going to keep the kittens for yourself? If the reason's is to make some money then I think thats wrong. And I cant see any other reason why people would want to breed.

I have had my females spayed because I just could'nt cope with the fact of "what if the kittens went to a bad home" Just because someone pays for it dosn't mean it's going to be loved.

I dont really know how people can make life choices for others, regardless of being an animal. Would you do it to your daughter?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 18:47:00 PM »
Hi Sakura. I used to breed siamese and oriental cats quite a few years ago. The first litter I had three of the five kittens died of a general failing in health at 3 weeks. It was heartbreaking watching these wee things struggling for breath and having daily homevisits from the vet practically bankrupted me. The second litter (and last) the kittens thrived, but, because I had to keep them until they were 16 weeks old, I found it incredibly difficult to part with them, so ended up with eight cats. Breeding, whether pedigree or moggie is an expensive business. My queen visited the vet every two weeks during her pregnancy and, as I said, the vet was coming out daily for the first litter for two weeks.

If you want your kittens to thrive you need to ensure that the mother cat has a proper, nutritionally balanced diet both before breeding and during the pregnancy and lactation. This is not cost-free by any means. Felix and Whiskas just don't cut it with a breeding queen.

Finally, and I know it has been said several times before on this thread. It is a big responsibility to create new life when there are so many cats out there who need good homes, that will not be available to them because of the new lives you are creating. I wonder if you have considered this side of things. It is not simply taking responsibility for finding good homes for these kittens, it is the fact that in doing so, you are depriving less planned pregnancies from finding a home.

I do understand why you feel motivated to do this, but in a way, you are playing god. You are choosing to create life that will be depriving other living things of finding a home and love and care. If your friends want kittens of their own, there are plenty of places that can provide these for them. Please do think long and hard before you make your decision, won't you.  :hug:

MBll

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 18:33:26 PM »
Sakura  all your telling us is that  you want to be a backstreet breeder...there is just to many bsb about

MBll

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 18:28:03 PM »
Well another way to look at this.......say your cat has 6 kittens ...that is 6 homes you have stolen from  6 kittens in a rescue.

Nope  breeding more moggies is  abig no...not when theres  hundreds in rescue & the same number chucked out to start colonys.

Your mum if she cares for her cat then have him neutered.

Your friends if they want a kitten or cat then they can go to a rescue & home one from there & the space  will be taken up for a new cat/kitten

Your reason for breeding is not good enough ...extremely feeble

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 18:26:42 PM »
And she should know better to be using a moggy tom. Is her ginger a 100% house cat? Cos if he isnt there would be a good chance of him getting something and passing it on to your cat  :(
Please encourage your mum to neuter her tom, he is just as at risk from cancer as queens are.

If your area is bad enough for CP not to home to then i would seriously consider having more cats, there safety is paramount. They must know things about the area that you dont, a high amount of cats with certain types of human inflicted injuries for example   :(

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 18:20:06 PM »
My mother used to breed pedigree cats.

then I would have thought she would have been able tell you all you need to know

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 18:16:55 PM »
This site does so much work to help unwanted cats and kittens, I dont think anyone here would like to see another moggy allowed to have a litter.

So thumbs down from me too, sorry.

Offline Sakura

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 18:16:22 PM »
I understand everyone concerns, they are perfectly valid.
As it happen my cat is a moggy, however I wasn't planning on shoving her out the door to find any old tom. My mother used to breed pedigree cats. She now has a ginger tom cat free of disease, vaccinated etc. and she expressed interest in breeding him with my cat, otherwise I'd never have thought of it.
It's far from a done deal but if (big if) I was to let her breed then a few good friends have said they would be interested. If someone I didn't know was interested I would have to insist on seeing their home and reenforcing the fact that a cat os a real commitment that they have to have a real think about. I  was also planning an insisting that if they couldn't look after the cat for any reason that they bring it back, and I'd really have no problem with it if they did.
Also, I wouldn't be in this for the money, the kittens would be free to make nice people happy. When i was looking for kittens I found many people giving away kitten at 6 weeks or so, I think my main aim would be to give people I trust kittens that have spent an appropriate time with their mothers (was thinking 12 weeks) so that they were developed properly.
I just wanted sound, detailed, factual advice that I can have a good think about; most sites I've seen just give the bare minimum. At the end of the day I think the fact that I find it hard to imagine life without my cat now means that I will not be able to do this because of the risks to her life; but I would still like to have detailed, factual advice because I am interested in the topic generally.
The concerns of CPL were not because of the road we lived on but the whole area, I also tried the other rescue centres in my area. Therefore, my cat was not a rescue cat, but in reality since she came with terrible fleas and cat flu she kind of was!

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 17:52:59 PM »
Another thumbs down for breeding from me I'm afraid.

Plus there's the emotional trauma of watching the kittens die possibly.One of Jemima's* litter died at almost 3 weeks old.It was one of the worst experiences I've had and hugely upsetting.Could you cope with it? I nkow it's something I could never put myself through again.Kittens are supposed to be ickle fluffy and cute but it's easy to forget the heartache that can go alongside that.

*Jemima came to me pregnant after her owner's home got trashed.It was the last litter she ever had.

MBll

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 17:44:25 PM »
Heres the UK  verison lol  BSB...backstreet breeder lol

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 17:31:22 PM »
Oh right - got you   :thanks:

No not back yard - back garden!
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 17:27:35 PM »
back yard breeder - of course you wouldn't know what it meant! :rofl:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 17:26:25 PM »
What is a BYB?

Sorry - goldfish brain syndrome  
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 17:24:42 PM »
I have just heard too many stories like of sacks of kittens washed up on the beach where I live to even begin to understand any kind of breeding being acceptable.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

MBll

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 17:20:09 PM »
Hi Sakura and   :welcome:  to Purrs

I know breeders are not regarded too highly on this site but if it were not for breeders there would be no Manx cats.

Yvonne i have nothing againest knowledgeable etc breeders ya keen just my problem is with BYBs ya keen i seen to many posts wanting to breed cats & stud them out to makemoney ... not caring for the mum &kittens ...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 17:21:17 PM by RatiesRule »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 17:18:18 PM »
It can't be from CP as all cats are spayed/neutered before rehoming and with kittens, people have to sign a form agreeing to spay/neuter when old enough and these are followed up.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

MBll

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 17:15:35 PM »
you volunteer with cats protection & you want to breed more? is you cat a rescue cat?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 17:12:53 PM »
 :Crazy:

"To encourage the neutering of all cats and kittens not required for breeding. Cats Protection supports neutering as the only effective way of reducing the vast numbers of unwanted cats and kittens"

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 17:12:28 PM »
Hi Sakura and   :welcome:  to Purrs

What breed are you thinking of breeding can I presume that it is not a moggy?
I had a Manx breeding Queen (Cleo) and she had three litters before I got her spayed.  I know breeders are not regarded too highly on this site but if it were not for breeders there would be no Manx cats.

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

MBll

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 17:09:46 PM »
Why ...what is the reason that you want your cat to have a litter? 

There is more to breeding then sticking two animals together.......what kind of breeder are you ... good breeders are knowledgeable & responsible & have done their research etc, have homes lined up BEFORE breeding, vet new homes, have a contract,  & be willing to take back any kitten/cat if need be even YEARS later ...OOOH lots more to breeding.    Have you considered emergency vets if something goes wrong ...not to metion a bill vet bill but also could lose both kittens & mum.......not somthing i would  consdier.

Bad breeders the backstreet breeders are only in it for the money & sell to the first person that knocks on the door, they not bothered where the kittens end up. 

So what kind of breeder are you?   Yes even if you breed only one litter you are classed as  a breeder.

So have have you got a pedigree cat or moggie, nothing wrong with moggies but theres no reason to breed anymore when the rescues are OVER run with them & when space cant be found for more they are PUT TO SLEEP...even kittens.

As MM said about FIV/FELV ...if you allow your cat to be caught with the local tom & not test then are you going to tell the kittens owners that they will carry?

The  rescues on here will  have their own input on this especially the one man rescues that folk like you are supplying them daily with animals.   If you care anything about your weee cat you would do the best for her & have her neutered.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 17:07:49 PM »
Is it the road that they turned you down on? They normally have good reasons for doing so, nothing worse then losing a cat to a car  :(

If you volunteer for CP do you get to see all the cats that are homeless? And hear about the suffering of strays, these are often the result of the "good homes" that people find for the kittens of their cats "just one litter".

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 17:03:30 PM »
Hi Sakura,  :welcome: to Purrs.

This site is primarily a rescue site so the answer from almost everyone on here will be a resounding NO to cat breeding, I'm afraid.  Can I ask whether your cat you are considering breeding from is a pedigree cat or a moggy? 

If she's a non pedigree, then I think everyone on here will be unanimous in saying you should not breed from her for a multitude of reasons.  If she is a pedigree cat there are ways of going about becoming a reputable breeder but it's difficult to advise you without knowing more about your circumstances.  As to advice on breeding - I think the FAB website has some information on their website.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 17:04:43 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 16:58:49 PM »
what area are you in, another rescue may be able to help you, I was turned down by the first rescue I contacted

Offline Sakura

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 16:57:09 PM »
Thank you for the informative replies so far. I volunteer with cats protection league at the moment but they won't let me adopt because of where I live, otherwise I would have adopted 2 or 3!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 16:45:05 PM »
This page covers dogs but its the same for cats:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/pyo.html

If you wish to see kittens grow/your children see how kittens grow, contact your local rescue and find out about fostering.

Having a litter is not beneficial to a cat, it just raises her chances of getting ill.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 16:42:59 PM »
For those of us here in rescue we will of course say please don't. You know the argument about too many cats, not enough homes etc and this does also apply to pedigree cats as well, so if you do not get many replies this is probably the reason.
As a cautionary tale, when I was in the vets with one of mine on saturday, two pregnant BSH's were taken in. One had dropped 3 dead kittens and was carrying more and the other had already had a problem in labour. Both were due  to be given C-sections and sterilised. The breeder said it was cost close to £1500 for the 2 - thats 4 living kittens to be sold as £350 to make this up.

As far as effects on cats, IMHO it makes no difference to the wellbeing of the cat, sio the cat is not going to thank you either way.

Will you be able to find good homes for all the kittens? Last year a lot of rescues struggled to place their kittens and there are still a lot of 6 - 9 monthers in rescue as a result of this.

If you want to have kitten purely for yourself and the experience of it, then I would suggest you offer your services as a fosterer to a local rescue, if this year is anything like last year they will be grateful of your help.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 16:36:45 PM »
Im keeping stoom  :shy:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 16:32:44 PM »
Im sure people will regurgitate because this is a topic close to many hearts when they pick up another litter of abandoned unwanted kitties   :(

Health wise cats that are unspayed are at a higher risk of cancer, pyometra and being hit by a car whilst out parading with toms. Also the risk of FIV/FELV are high.

If the birth is complicated you could be hit with a big bill for emergency vet attention which insurance wont cover. Or if mum dies a litter that would need handrearing, feeds every 2 hours for some weeks.

Please just ger her spayed.

Theres no official statistics for the 100's of unwanted cats being pts but im sure thats something you wouldnt want to contribute to.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 16:34:52 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Sakura

• Kitten
Cat breeding
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 16:22:51 PM »
Hello all, I just joined yesterday, hope you are all well!

Anyway on with business, I am considering allowing my cat have a litter of kittens but I haven't come to a decision as I feel I do not have enough information regarding the subject to make a properly informed decision. I am aware of the ethical concerns surrounding breeding cats and would ask people to refrain from regurgitating these here; they will be part of the information I use to make my own informed decision on the subject. I have started this thread to get advice and fact from people who have had kitten litters themselves. I would like to know about the implications of the process generally for my cat and myself. In addition, if anyone could recommend books or websites with detailed information it would be greatly appreciated
Apologies if this has been covered many times by other threads, I did use the search engine, but perhaps not effectively enough.

Link to CatChat