Author Topic: wanted to rescue 2 siamese cats  (Read 69292 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Re: wanted to rescue 2 siamese cats
« Reply #386 on: January 27, 2008, 18:26:57 PM »
Oh I hadn't saw the last losts - they are so gorgeous. Remind me so much of my wee Bertie who was Balinese - I just love Siamese and Balinese cats   :Luv2:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #385 on: January 27, 2008, 18:24:42 PM »
You getting the idea lol

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #384 on: January 27, 2008, 18:23:34 PM »
Oh yes more

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2008, 18:22:36 PM »
Even more  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2008, 18:21:40 PM »
Some more

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #381 on: January 27, 2008, 18:20:40 PM »
More

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2008, 18:19:40 PM »
Well I have seen all the pictures  :rofl: :rofl:

Would you like to see them?

They are coming in groups of four and some of first you may have seen before but never mind  ;D

I think they are looking so well  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2008, 00:54:02 AM »
Be great to see some pictures  ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2008, 21:54:55 PM »
Poor little Coco, it does sound like a phantom pregnancy bless her but if it is, she must be feeling a lot better in herself  :Luv:  I'm glad things are still going okay with them and reducing the steroids hasn't caused any problems, well done on a fab job  :hug:  Don't forget to get John to send me some piccies so I can send some to Sean  ;)

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2008, 21:30:51 PM »
I will get John to put the pikkies on the computer for me tomorrow so I will be able to show you her fat belly :rofl:

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2008, 21:29:31 PM »
 ;D Hi all,

No more news as yet, she is still tubby and round :rofl: but that's it!.  The Vets will have another "FEEL" on Tuesday, but to be honest I think she's just having a little phanton pregnancy aw bless her :shy: Think she's just a bit confused, put it this way....I hope it is just a phantom :rofl: :rofl: but she is sure doing a good impression,  :rofl: :rofl: will let you know what they say on Tuesday.  Obviously we are wanting to have her spayed and hopefully if the vet says she's well enough, we will be able to get something sorted out.  There is jabs to be had as well, but all in good time.  I just want them fit first, but they are desperate to go in the garden!! they try to escape everytime you go near a door, and coco is very good at standing on her back legs to reach the door handle :naughty:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #375 on: January 25, 2008, 23:38:03 PM »
This is sounding so good  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #374 on: January 25, 2008, 20:29:02 PM »
Great news Jackie .... any more updates on whether Lady CoCo is in the family way?  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #373 on: January 25, 2008, 20:21:36 PM »
 ;D Hi there all,

well, so far so good, steroids reduced again and all ok so far....ooh I hope this is going to continue, I am so pleased for these 2.  I phoned the vet today to make an appointment for Tuesday and even the young receptionist asked me how Simba and Coco were.  aw bless. :Luv:
 :Luv:
Running around up and down stairs right now this minute and both sound like they have got clogs on ha ha.  John has almost finished the downstairs loo and so he said will put some pikkies on computer for me tomorrow, so I will be able to share them with you on Sunday hopefully. ;)

meanwhile,  have a nice weekend all you lucky people that don't have to work Saturdays :rofl:

ta ta for now

love Jackie John Simba and tubby oops I mean Coco ;D
xxxx

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #372 on: January 21, 2008, 19:37:18 PM »
So far so good, all paws crossed.  They finished their antibiotics today and the steroids will be reduced again from Thurs....will keep all posted.

xxxx ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #371 on: January 21, 2008, 19:12:51 PM »
Cos most cats shirk it off and become immune a persistantly infectious cat is different.

I would move the earth for someone not to have to go through what i did with George.
Anyway i tried.

Im glad your steroid regime is going to plan Jackie ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 19:19:25 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #370 on: January 21, 2008, 09:20:21 AM »
fantastic news Jackie - hope they continue to thrive

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #369 on: January 21, 2008, 00:02:03 AM »
The news just gets better  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #368 on: January 20, 2008, 20:56:38 PM »
Ahhh what wonderful news Jackie.  It certainly sounds like tubby Coco and Simba have turned the final corner and are well and truly on the road to complete recovery.  It's been a long few months but your perseverance and persistence combined with lots of love and care have paid off and you now have two gorgeous, affectionate little troublemakers to keep you on your toes for a long time!  :naughty:  ;)

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2008, 20:54:02 PM »
Hi Millys mum.  We would just like to say, yes Simba anbd Coco were lucky because we were looking for siamese.....but there are a lot of siamese who find it difficult to find a new home because of their demanding and noisy nature.  Not everyone likes them, they think they are evil/naughty/whatever.  We have had a lot of years experience with siamese and with dicky tummies as well :rofl:.  So...we think we were all lucky to have found eachother really ;D ;D ;D ;D.

wish every cat could be matched with new owners so happily.
xx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2008, 20:51:24 PM »
That's great news  :Luv:  Will be keeping fingers and toes crossed  ;D

I'm so pleased these babes are with you guys, and its fabulous to hear how they are progressing  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2008, 20:49:42 PM »
Hi all,

just thought we would drop in and let you know how we are today. ;D  It has been almost a week of reduced steroids now and we still have good poo!! ;D.  The plan is to reduce the steroids again and also finish the antibiotics.  The antibiotics finish tomorrow....then the steroids will be reduced again on Thursday, so keep your paws crossed that all remains well.  We have 2 happy puss cats and 2 extremely happy slaves ;D.  Hope you have all had a good weekend.

Jackie, John Simba and Coco
xxxx ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2008, 19:16:56 PM »
With FCOV, you can't determine who is a shedder and who isn't.  And out of interest, those that are commenting, have any of you had your cats tested for it??

I hadnt until Gwynnie got ill and was tested. To be honest although I knew a bit about fcov I hadnt realised it was so profilic in the general cat population. It would be hard for any cat establishment, breeding or rescue, to ensure an entirely fcov free environment.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2008, 19:13:55 PM »
In no way did i mean you shouldnt help these cats but home them sensibley knowing their health conditions.

If I wasn't going to home sensibly, do you think I would be wasting my time finding out as much history as I can about them and being honest with people about what I'm dealing with.  I have got a foster home lined up for Vita, if I didn't care, I would have just taken her but as soon as I found out about the Corona Virus, I decided I was going to get her tested first.  Anyone who takes on any of these cats, will be told about the Corona Virus, it's not something I'm going to pretend isn't there because I know it is.  With these cats, sometimes I wish I hadn't got involved but god knows why I did, I have had numerous arguments with my vet about them and sleepless nights, at the end of the day, all I want to do is stop them from breeding and get them into family environments.   If I had to have each and every one tested, sadly they will just have to stay where they are and just pray that the temptation to breed doesn't overcome common sense.  If Lesley has one, that is one less to worry about and if Lesley's cats haven't already got Corona, it would be a damn miracle as it would be if all mine were clear, so where is the problem?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2008, 18:59:38 PM »
FIV is different though Liz, as it is a lot harder to transmit than FCOV.

I take it yours are tested Des?  With FCOV, you can't determine who is a shedder and who isn't.  And out of interest, those that are commenting, have any of you had your cats tested for it??
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 19:34:37 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2008, 18:39:47 PM »
FIV is different though Liz, as it is a lot harder to transmit than FCOV.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2008, 18:33:50 PM »
We mixed an FIV feral with ours and all ours were fine, I would do it again as it gave Holly somewhere safe for the last 8 months of her life and although she hated humans she died loved and wanted and is missed for the dynamic she added to our mob.

Both Dawn and lesley do this to help and whilst in an ideal worls everything would be tested and the like its just not possible but they do help what ever comes their way find devoted families and in some cases just somewhere warm to have a final few days but they leave a gaping gap whatever way it is

I love all mine but would help with another FIV if we could as its a roll of the dice and they need lady luck to!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #359 on: January 20, 2008, 18:15:16 PM »
Yep strays are unknown quantities, but in mum cats case shes a known dealing.
If you have a cat that doesnt like other cats, it gets homed on its own.
If you have a cat with FIV it goes to a home alone or with other FIV cats.
So i also think that a cat shedding coronavirus should also go it alone.

Whether these are from a breeder or off the street, I am not going to differentiate, in my eyes they all need help and as Lesley said, the strays etc we have no way of knowing of their history
In no way did i mean you shouldnt help these cats but home them sensibley knowing their health conditions.

I remember reading a few days ago that you found out that pagan had also had contact with this mum cat.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #358 on: January 20, 2008, 18:03:49 PM »
I realized as soon as I pressed the button   :-:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #357 on: January 20, 2008, 18:03:00 PM »
IBS - irritable bowel syndrome

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #356 on: January 20, 2008, 18:01:31 PM »
Whats IBS and what breed?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #355 on: January 20, 2008, 17:28:16 PM »
Plus, when dealing with rescue, one day you can take in a stray cat that you have no history of whatsoever.  Why does this cat get more of a chance because you know nothing about it, than one that you actually have some history of.

Thanks for the lovely comments Lesley  :hug:  I would agree that it is difficult and these cats have given me sleepless nights, I didn't go to sleep until about 7 this morning worrying about them and then I had to go to work  :tired:  Most of the cats that come in, have at some stage been in contact with Cat flu and are more than likely to have the Corona Virus.  Without testing all of them, I really wouldn't have a clue who has had what and being honest, how many people with just 2 cats can honestly say, their cats haven't been in contact with either?  Both of these conditions are mainly brought out in stressful situations such as rehoming, going into a cattery etc. and I really haven't got the funding to test each and every one.  The only times mine are tested for anything are if I suspect they are carrying something, ie if they are constantly snotty or whatever, and they are then also tested for FIV/FeLV, or if I get an older unneutered tom in, then he would also be tested.  In the ideal world, there would be more homes than cats but sadly that isn't the case.  Most cats do build up an immunity to the Flu Virus and Corona but chances are most would have had it anyway unless they have come from a family home where they have been indoor cats.   Most rescue cats do not come from these sorts of environments, and I know my vet would be happier with me if I only took in nice healthy cats/kittens and turned down the snotty unhealthy types of cats but if I only did that, how can I be doing rescue?  Whether these are from a breeder or off the street, I am not going to differentiate, in my eyes they all need help and as Lesley said, the strays etc we have no way of knowing of their history.  These cats need to be sorted asap, and if Lesley does decide to take one on, she is aware of what it involves and will take whatever precautions are needed.  When you take any cat on, vets and rescues usually advise keeping them separate for a couple of weeks in case of illness, what they don't say is test them for anything and everything.  I would be interested to know if anyone has had their cats tested for the Corona virus before introducing them to their own or is it a test that most rescues test for?  Regarding finding the ideal homes, yes Coco and Simba dropped lucky and with someone who not only adored the breed but had experience of dicky tums, I couldn't be happier for them but a lot of people also run a mile when they may have a problem.  I have one I need to find a home for at the moment, she is absolutely beautiful but does suffer from IBS, she is from a very loving home but because of her problem and the fact they have kids coming over to stay, the cat sadly has to go  :'(  :'(  I have got a week to find her a home, otherwise she is going back to her breeder :( 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #354 on: January 20, 2008, 14:13:43 PM »
It also mentions that breeders can and have been prosectued for selling kittens infected with fcov, may be worth telling Simbas/Cocos breeder this to help encourage her to get her cats sorted out.  ;)

Does this mean that all breeders have to have their studs and queens checked for this before breeding?  With any adults she knows have problems, these are the ones I'm helping with so she's not actually selling them.  There are a couple of others there that I'm getting spayed for her and apparently no problems with them so I'm hoping all her cats will be done by the time I've finished, and rehomed as pets.

It didnt elaborate any further than saying there have been successful prosecutions under trade acts and prevention of cruelty acts  :-:
Google may hold the answer to that one.
Good luck, i hope you manage stop these lines soon :luck:

Lesley it wasnt a dig at rescues efforts, i was just mentioning my concern at placing a known risk in a multicat home. I wouldnt do it with a flu carrier or felv, these are as contagious as fcov.
A siamese will always find it easier to get a single home than a mog because of their wow factor, look how lucky simba and coco have been with their new owners. They got chose cos of their breed so i dont think Dawn would particularly struggle in placing mum cat  :shy:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #353 on: January 20, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »
MM in a perfect world it would be lovely to re-home an FCoV cat in a sole environment but, unfortunately, most people in rescue do not work in a perfect world.

Dawn works harder than ANYONE I know in rescue and deals with far more cats than I could ever cope with.  She struggles every day to find any homes for these furbabes let alone perfect ones.   Plus, when dealing with rescue, one day you can take in a stray cat that you have no history of whatsoever.  Why does this cat get more of a chance because you know nothing about it, than one that you actually have some history of.

If I can help her in someway by taking one cat into our home to ease the pressure on her, I will endeavour to do it.  I do not put my cats at unnecessary risk, all precautions are taken with regard to isolation and hygiene.  But when you get into the world of rescue, life becomes 100% cat and whether the cats are found on the streets or you are dealing with a less than perfect breeder, the cats are one and the same and need help.  Dawn NEVER says no, she helps anyone and everyone.  If I could be 10% of what she is, it would not be enough so, please do not have a go at us rescues if we cannot always place the cat in the most perfect home, at least we are trying.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #352 on: January 20, 2008, 00:35:03 AM »
It also mentions that breeders can and have been prosectued for selling kittens infected with fcov, may be worth telling Simbas/Cocos breeder this to help encourage her to get her cats sorted out.  ;)

Does this mean that all breeders have to have their studs and queens checked for this before breeding?  With any adults she knows have problems, these are the ones I'm helping with so she's not actually selling them.  There are a couple of others there that I'm getting spayed for her and apparently no problems with them so I'm hoping all her cats will be done by the time I've finished, and rehomed as pets.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 00:40:58 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #351 on: January 19, 2008, 19:50:41 PM »
I know fcov is widespread but to put a cat thats known to be a virus shedder (different to the average cat who encounter the corona virus and become immune to it) into a home that has vunerable cats and kittens seems riskier than average.

From Dr Addie:
If you have kept a kitten in isolation for many weeks and his or her antibody titre has not decreased and you are absolutely unable to keep the kitten, he or she should only be rehomed to a household with NO OTHER CATS (although one could rehome two antibody positive kittens together).   The new owner should be fully informed that the kitten might be shedding FCoV and so could be infectious to other cats, and carries about a one in ten risk of developing FIP, which the stress of rehoming could precipitate. Encourage the new owner not to stress the kitten unduly (see also the Prevention of FIP section). For example, it would be best if neutering were left until the kitten's antibody titre has considerably decreased; get the new owners to get the kitten fed in his or her home rather than being put into a cattery; don't give a lot of vaccines at one time.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #350 on: January 18, 2008, 15:59:32 PM »
thank goodness they are that predictable!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #349 on: January 18, 2008, 15:58:24 PM »
I'm in turn working on somebody, but you don't have to do the work I do  :naughty:

I think I know what work that involves  :oolala:  :evillaugh:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #348 on: January 18, 2008, 15:42:45 PM »
Also, not all cats are shedders of the virus... and you've no real way of knowing who is!   If you take a cat on you know to be FCoV positive then I think you just have to be aware of the ins and outs and any risks associated with them. :)

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #347 on: January 18, 2008, 15:12:51 PM »
In multicat households and especially rescue environments, corona is probably present in about 40% of cats if not more.  Unless rescues tested all cats that came in for corona, which in itself is financially limiting, you can never guarantee that it will not be present.  I think if everyone tested their own cats, they would be surprised as to how many have actually got it.  In most cases it doesn't cause a problem, I think there's a possibility in 3% of cases that it can mutate into FIP.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 15:19:58 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Link to CatChat