Author Topic: wanted to rescue 2 siamese cats  (Read 69250 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: wanted to rescue 2 siamese cats
« Reply #346 on: January 18, 2008, 14:35:21 PM »
Mum cat would be a bit of risk to put in a multicat home wouldnt she?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #345 on: January 18, 2008, 14:27:05 PM »
I'm assuming she is working on you and you are working on oh, hope I'm right!!!!

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #344 on: January 18, 2008, 14:24:35 PM »
Dawn F, do you mean Dawn working on me, or the work I am having to do :rofl:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #343 on: January 18, 2008, 14:23:44 PM »
I hope that means what I think it means lesley!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #342 on: January 18, 2008, 14:17:39 PM »

Looking at one of the sites on Corona, it was aimed at breeders and how to overcome the kittens catching it, I think this is totally wrong and bloody annoyed me, what they need to be stressing is getting them done and hopefully eliminating the problem.  ;)

There will always be people out there who 'learn' how to 'get round' a disease or situation and share with others. :tired:  I think it should be down to the morals of the person to decide whether or not to jeopardise the lives of their cats for 'money'  But do agree with you that it is the wrong attitude and more should be done to stop breeding where the problem is severe as in the case of Simba and Coco.

I think though that until that happens folks like us will have to pick up the pieces!!  :tired:

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #341 on: January 18, 2008, 14:15:18 PM »
The instances that we had we had no choice as they came in preggers and were plastered in poo from one end to the other.  We couldn't leave kittens in that... she wasn't cleaning herself let alone the babys.  But despite taking the kittens away we lost most of the kittens which was put down to the extremely poor condition of the mothers prior and during pregnancy.   It was made worse by the fact that we also nearly lost the mothers after the pregnancy as it all proved too much strain on their systems and were critically ill for several weeks before starting to return to health.

Poor mum and babies  :'(  :'(  In this situation, you can only do what your best and sometimes that isn't even good enough  :'(

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #340 on: January 18, 2008, 14:14:21 PM »
I wonder who that could be :Crazy:.  I'm in turn working on somebody, but you don't have to do the work I do  :naughty:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 14:16:15 PM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #339 on: January 18, 2008, 14:05:59 PM »
I am working on someone at the moment  :naughty:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #338 on: January 18, 2008, 14:02:10 PM »
Aww hopefully you’ll find a home for the mom cat!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #337 on: January 18, 2008, 13:59:50 PM »
I know the mum of Simba and Coco has just had her last litter, she is being spayed and rehomed and I'm currently trying to find somewhere for her.  At least that's one less cat for breeding, just have to work on the others then  :tired:

Looking at one of the sites on Corona, it was aimed at breeders and how to overcome the kittens catching it, I think this is totally wrong and bloody annoyed me, what they need to be stressing is getting them done and hopefully eliminating the problem.  The breeder I'm dealing with has sort of addressed the problem but only with me drumming it into her, I'm hoping in the future, most of her cats will be done and rehomed  ;)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #336 on: January 18, 2008, 13:36:25 PM »

Modified  I've just looked at a couple of sites and that's the only way I can see for transmisision is the foecal/oral route  :-:  It looks like this vet got it wrong  :sneaky:  This is probably how breeders get away with continuing to breed when the queen is a carrier which just seems totally wrong in my opinion.  I think mum's and kittens should be together and if the mum is a carrier, she should be spayed but alot of breeders are just in it for the money  :sneaky:

I agree Dawn... in a rescue situation tho... I'm sure you know its not always possible but we do try to keep them with mum.    The instances that we had we had no choice as they came in preggers and were plastered in poo from one end to the other.  We couldn't leave kittens in that... she wasn't cleaning herself let alone the babys.  But despite taking the kittens away we lost most of the kittens which was put down to the extremely poor condition of the mothers prior and during pregnancy.   It was made worse by the fact that we also nearly lost the mothers after the pregnancy as it all proved too much strain on their systems and were critically ill for several weeks before starting to return to health.

From a breeders stand point I (personally) think it is highly irresponsible to breed from highly infected cats with FCoV and as you say... that is when it seems to be more about the money than anything else.  I know of a few breeders who have problems but deny it publicly and probably aren't doing anything about it either!

At the end of the day I think if you have a problem like this you can't realy ignore it... and if you don't notice well then you're in the wrong job!!!

Sadly it is very true that there are a good proportion that are in it just for the money and how they get away with running what are almost kitten farms is beyond me!

Jackie - Great to hear that they are both doing grand.  I take it that the vet has confirmed the belly isn't a fluid build up??  (that's what I'd be afraid of).

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 13:37:50 PM by madkittyrescue »

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2008, 21:23:27 PM »
So....John's mission for tomorrow then, is to get a pikkie or two of Coco's tum tum :rofl: (never mind tiling and re-plumbing the downstairs cloak :rofl:)

watch this space, and we will see what we can do ha ha

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2008, 19:58:24 PM »
Yes I think we should see pictures of Cocos tummy, hope she doesnt explode  :rofl: :rofl:

Pleased things are going well on the reduced tabs  ;D

Offline Jeannette

• Adult Cat
« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2008, 19:30:18 PM »
Have been lurking & following this story - so pleased they are doing so well

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #332 on: January 17, 2008, 18:27:41 PM »
Hi to you all from Simba and Coco (or should I say little barrel!!) :rofl: she is a fatty or what!!.  We have reduced steroids and so far things are looking good.  Day 3.5  ish of reduced dose so fingers crossed. Coco is getting fatter by the minute :rofl: both ok and looking good though.  I will try to get a pikkie of her big fat belly to show you all :rofl: I do think it is empty though ha ha ;D

see ya

JJSC
xxxx

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2008, 18:09:28 PM »
 ;D well we will just have to wait and see won't we. ;D  had a good day today again and found some more nice sleeping quarters (wardrobe and airing cupboard).  By the Way Diddy Dawn, Simba and Coco resent the fact that you implkied they didn't smell very nice :sick: :rofl: and challenge you to come and have a sniff for yourself now then......roses spring to mind :rofl: :rofl:.

post some more pikkies at the weekend

update later

JJSC
xxxx ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »
Not necessarily.  If memory serves me correctly it isn't passed in the womb and the kittens can only be affected with direct contact to mums poo!! 

I had a chat to one of the other vets the other day and he did say it was possible that Simba and Coco had the virus passed on via the placenta.  Re handrearing, I wouldn't be into this at all I'm afraid unless the kittens were rejected.   I would hate the idea of a mum having to go through all the hassle of giving birth, to have her babies swiped at the end of it, that is my personal opinion, I think where possible, the babies should be reared by mum.

Modified  I've just looked at a couple of sites and that's the only way I can see for transmisision is the foecal/oral route  :-:  It looks like this vet got it wrong  :sneaky:  This is probably how breeders get away with continuing to breed when the queen is a carrier which just seems totally wrong in my opinion.  I think mum's and kittens should be together and if the mum is a carrier, she should be spayed but alot of breeders are just in it for the money  :sneaky:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:57:05 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #329 on: January 15, 2008, 09:25:53 AM »
oh Jackie!  I hope she isn't poor thing must be exhausted from just living - hopefully it is just a bad case of wind!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #328 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:35 AM »
Hey Dawn,

If she is which I'm praying she isn't, there is a good chance these kittens will have problems because of the medication and if they are okay, there's a good chance they will also carry the Corona Virus. 

Not necessarily.  If memory serves me correctly it isn't passed in the womb and the kittens can only be affected with direct contact to mums poo!!     If kittens are taken off her after the first few hours they should be fine  (obviously to give them time to get the colostrum sp??)

Obviously more work for you as you have to hand rear.  THis was the scenario for us when we had issues with the virus in the past.

Great news to hear they are doing so well tho... fingers crossed she isn't preggers tho!   :-:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #327 on: January 14, 2008, 23:53:24 PM »
Baggsy a kitten for me if she is - I'd love a siamese!!

If she is which I'm praying she isn't, there is a good chance these kittens will have problems because of the medication and if they are okay, there's a good chance they will also carry the Corona Virus.  We have traced this back to the mum cat of Coco and Simba and it seems poor Pagan also mated with their mum  :'(  I'm going to have a chat with Sean tomorrow because I do also think if she is, the kittens would easily be felt at this stage.  Simba was neutered a good while ago, this was also my concern in case he had mated with her but the breeder assures me he was done a good few months ago, again I'm going to double check with Sean.

Jackie, I would ask the vet to check for gas in her tummy, because of their recent change in food, I would think this is highly likely.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 23:55:08 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #326 on: January 14, 2008, 23:42:13 PM »
I'd have thought that of she was 6 weeks or more, the vet would have been able to feel something!

Baggsy a kitten for me if she is - I'd love a siamese!!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #325 on: January 14, 2008, 22:50:21 PM »
I think with her being underweight and her general health Des, I doubt very much she has ever had a season.   When Sophie was really poorly, it took a good 6 months after the illness for her to come into heat, I knew then she was well enough to go through a spay.  I would think like humans, they would have to be fit enough to carry babies, when a woman isn't in good health, underweight etc, her periods are likely to stop and this is the bodies way of telling you, your body isn't in good enough shape for pregnancy.  You have to remember, these cats have been poorly for the last 15 months, I suggested to Sean about getting Coco done before she went to Dawn's but we decided it was best to wait.  Even though I can't say 100% she hasn't been near a tom cat, I really don't think she will be pregnant.........if she is, the tom cat must have had a very strong nose as the smell of these cats when I picked them up was  :sick:  :sick:  ;) 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 22:59:53 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #324 on: January 14, 2008, 22:05:37 PM »
ahhhh right , I wondered if that would Dawn  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2008, 21:59:21 PM »
Fingers crossed she isn't pregnant - phantom pregnancies aren't that common in cats, unlike dogs. If she hasn't shown any signs of being in heat, that could be due to pregnancy.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2008, 21:11:58 PM »
The other thing I was thinking is this could possibly be wind, I know that sounds daft but I had a youngster here that was constantly bloating up and when Sean squeezed his tum, a load of gas came out  :sick:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2008, 21:04:20 PM »
Maybe I being daft but how do you stop em getting a phantom pregnancy?

Getting them spayed  ;)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2008, 19:21:25 PM »
Before I got involved in rescue, I thought my cat Molly was pregnant and when I took her to the Vet, the Vet said "she should produce kittens in approximately two weeks".  Three weeks later we went back to the Vet and she was not pregnant, it was a phantom, so they can fool the experts as well (the vet, not me).  Hopefully it is just a phantom Jackie but glad to hear they are doing so well.  I'm so happy for you and jealous as well  :-[, makes me think of my Pagan :(

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2008, 19:09:52 PM »
No idea at all
x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2008, 19:05:49 PM »
Maybe I being daft but how do you stop em getting a phantom pregnancy?

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #317 on: January 14, 2008, 19:02:41 PM »
 :thanks: for that.  I do hope you are right :rofl: will obviously keep you posted though
xx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #316 on: January 14, 2008, 18:54:23 PM »
Glad they are both doing well  :Luv:  After speaking with you last week Jackie, I did have a chat with the breeder again and she said it was impossible that she is pregnant as she hasn't been near any other cats but, I honestly wouldn't want to rely 100% on anything she tells me  :sneaky:  Hopefully it is just a phantom, if she isn't pregnant which I'm hoping she isn't and she isn't calling, if cats aren't 100% healthwise, not all of them have a season until they are fit and well so I wouldn't worry too much.  The chances are if she has been checked and the vets can't feel anything, it will be a phantom as at this stage, they would be easy to feel.  She definitely isn't spayed, she wasn't done because of her health problems and for her sake, it was better that she was in better health before going under the knife.  I would get her checked again soon and if she's up to it, I would get her booked in........phantom pregnancies can make them ill which is the last thing you need. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 18:57:50 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #315 on: January 14, 2008, 18:49:01 PM »
Oh dear ... this site might help you: http://www.pusscats.com/Cat_Pregnancy.htm
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #314 on: January 14, 2008, 18:44:11 PM »
Yes Gill, they came from a breeder.  Sam, I am not sure how they tell if she has been spayed or not.  Diddy dawn told me that she hadn't been spayed though.  So yes you are right, and we will just have to wait and see. ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #313 on: January 14, 2008, 18:41:25 PM »
Oh well we are going to have to wait and see then  ;D

Of course they came from a breeder didnt they?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #312 on: January 14, 2008, 18:39:36 PM »
Glad the vet's visit went went and the babies are gaining weight (let's just hope Coco has been stuffing herself rather then carrying kittens  :Crazy: ).

How do they tell if she has been spayed ... can they shave her and see if she has a scar?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #311 on: January 14, 2008, 18:34:39 PM »
Simba is the boy and is nutered.  Coco is the little lady and she obviously isn't spayed :rofl: :rofl:.  We got them on 2nd December and I believe Diddy Dawn took them to the other Dawns and they were there 5 days??...they came straight from whoever to Dawn....so if she is pregnant...it must have happened at her original owners????Oh Heck I hope not!!

xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2008, 18:26:38 PM »
My goodness I thought they were boys!  :rofl: :rofl:

I cant remmber how long you have had them and the two Dawns before you but wouldnt she have been calling at some stage?

Arent they both neutered?

Well I am pleased that they are both doing well and hope that she is not pregnant  ;D

Offline Jackie D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #309 on: January 14, 2008, 18:20:06 PM »
Howdy folks,

vets trip a success. ;D  She is very pleased with the two and we are now reducing steroids again (hope it works better this time).  Both have gained weight again, Simba weighs in at 3.5 kilos and Coco weighs in at 3.2 kilos. ;D both are very happy and bright....and we didn't have any problems...not even after stealing the cooking oil :rofl: :rofl:.

I would like to share something with you all.....I didn't want to say before as I don't have any experience what so ever in this area......and may still be completely wrong...so if I am then just put it down to being the wrong side of 40 and things :rofl: :rofl:.  A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking that Coco wasa looking a little round in the belly department, she is now even rounder in the belly department :rofl: but I did say to John that I thought she might be pregnant (never had a cat that was preggy before, previous females have always been spayed).  DONT BE SILLY, was Johns reply!!.........so last week when I spoke to Diddy Dawn, I told her...........and today when we went to the vets....as soon as the vet saw her she said.....SHE LOOKS PREGNANT!!!!! anyway she had a feel and can't feel anything.....so called in vet number 2 who also said....OH SHE LOOKS PREGNANT!!!.....she also had a feel and can't feel anything........ they are both (and so are we actually) hoping that she is NOT pregnant...what with all the steroids etc that they have had over the last few weeks.....BUT...we will have to watch this space.....going back to the Vets 2 weeks from today (so they can have another feel|) :rofl: :rofl: oh dear....lets just hope she's having a little phantom pregnancy poor little lady!!  what ever next!! :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »
At least there is no danger of him having a furball  :evillaugh:

Sounds like they are well on the mend  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:41:43 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »
Sounds like they are doing well, and good luck for the vet app
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat