Author Topic: Alice - update - also kitten update  (Read 13586 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Alice - update - also kitten update
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2007, 17:52:48 PM »
Well I let Willow & Alice see eachother a couple of times. Alice hissed but Willow didn't do anything. I went to go downstairs again and Alice got past me and ran along the hall. Again Alice hissed & mieowed and ran away. Willow just sat there and there was no aggression at all. Hopefully, this is looking good - although we still have bruiser Kylie to deal with  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2007, 14:48:33 PM »
Oh Mark that's fab!! Maybe that's been the problem...too many strangers in her house?  If you aren't doing B&B anymore then this may be the one thing to make her happy!  :naughty:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2007, 14:18:46 PM »
That was a dealbreaker  :evillaugh:

btw - Alice had her first mooch around. Willow was asleep in the dining room so I closed the door. Alice was not at all shy investigating the house - She seemed to know exactly where Willow had peed in the past despite thorough simple solution use  :evillaugh: She even went to the basement (and she's on the 3rd floor!). After investigating, on her way back, she was scent marking banisters etc (with her face - luckily!  :evillaugh: )
Later, Willow & Clapton were sniffing round but all seems fine. OH said hopefully Willow won't start peeing again (she hasn't for the last few weeks since I stopped taking guests)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 14:24:41 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2007, 10:22:05 AM »
Book me in for a night in January then! BUt you will have to clean your own door handles!  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2007, 10:11:31 AM »
Aw! Hope you still take houseguests (who make their own beds!) so we can all come visit and see your babies!   :naughty:

As long as they. Wash & iron the sheets. Clean thoroughly, including disinfecting door handles etc (my old cleaner said I have OCD  :evillaugh: ) and cook their own breakfast and wash up ........yes  :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2007, 09:23:45 AM »
Aw! Hope you still take houseguests (who make their own beds!) so we can all come visit and see your babies!   :naughty:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2007, 09:17:34 AM »
See, I told you things could work out unexpectedly.  It could be that taking Alice in has changed your life in other ways ;D, hopefully for the better in your opinion.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2007, 08:46:12 AM »
Mark, Dennis sounds fab!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2007, 08:25:50 AM »
Glad I re-read Wizz's advice. To shut Willow In the dining room (I will wait until she is sleeping in there later) and let Alice have a wander round and take it from there. Naturally I will put her back before Willow is freed.
I took OH to the station this morning and said I was in 2 minds about taking a 3-night booking mid-december as it would interfere with intros and also couldn't trust a new cat loose in the house as some people leave the front door open (annoyingly). Dennis said that with 4 cats,  doing B&B is out of the question going forward. I am going to look into going back to a regular job in the new year  ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 08:27:01 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2007, 00:30:06 AM »
Hopefully I will be doing tentative intros tomorrow. Bearing in mind that Alice hates the cage, I'm not sure how to play it so will have to make sure it's done carefully. She is coming out of her shell and actually started playing with her rush ball  :Luv2: - she is eating really well and her face is scabbing well  :sick: - She like to spend most of her time under the bed - not in a scared way though. If you lie on the bed, she hops up on top  :Luv2: - very odd that she purrs non-stop but flicks her tail all the time - mix signals  :Crazy: - anyway, OH is besotted with her which is a big help  ;D ( he had a calico growing up  :evillaugh: )
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 00:30:30 AM by Mark »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2007, 23:30:31 PM »
Please let us know how things go, I am wishing for it to be a success. ;D

I know from my four that strange things happen. Misa hates Franta but Franta keeps getting on Misas desk and they both go to sleep, Sasa hates being close to me but keeps coming a tiny bit closer to tell me she wants to play.

Time can heal and maybe Willow just wants a friend of her very own  ;D

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2007, 21:35:20 PM »
I admire you Mark xxx you are giving the lovely Alice a chance to know love and happiness which a lot of people would not do with her medical problems - I really hope it works out.

Big  :hug: for Marks OH too
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2007, 21:12:14 PM »
I personally wouldnt say she was unhomeable due to it - to pinch Ela's phrase, no cat is unhomeable. Instead, I woudl be upfront with people, and say that any vets bills relating to it would be covered.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2007, 21:11:07 PM »
What's the alternative?  Let her be stuck in a cold pen or sling her out to live under the car again
I dont mean in regards to fostering in a separate room until a home is found.
I dont see the point of exacerbating an already tense problem

Don't try putting him down for doing his best for this one
But what about Willow? And the other 2 who live in a house that must smell to them.
If a behavioural issue exists with 2 how is adding a 3rd going help :Dont know:

You have already said how you dont see the point of paying a behaviouist to tell you what you already know.   :Dont know: :loon:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2007, 17:00:57 PM »
I have to say I do understand what MM and Desley meant about the situation regarding Willow. But it does appear the options are limited with regards to Alices rehoming, so I hope things work out.

She really is lovely. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2007, 16:24:59 PM »
Thanks Dawn, Dawn & Clare  :shy:

Caroline said she isn't really homeable now due to the chance of recurrence so there aren't many choices left. Caroline says very much like you, she always has a houseful of cats, kittens and dogs and they just have to get on with it as it isn't an ideal world.

When I told OH about her not being rehomeable, he said "She's staying with us then!"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 16:25:35 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2007, 16:04:39 PM »

We all have our limits within a multicat household and really the charity decision makers should be looking at this in a practical manner.
If someone they didnt know came in and said we have 3 cats and one persistantly soils the house but we would like another they wouldnt jump into it with them.   :shy: :shy:

What's the alternative?  Let her be stuck in a cold pen or sling her out to live under the car again  :sneaky:  Mark is a loving, caring individual who loves his cats to bits, I honestly don't think he would even contemplate doing this if he didn't think he was in with a chance.  If cats have space, they can and do tolerate each other even if they are not 100% happy with the situation, it doesn't mean everything is going to go to pieces........Willow may surprise us and accept a newbie into the camp.  I have the odd little brat, apart from the 2 sooties, I have Smudge and she is a definite mummy's girl but she is fine as long as she has her time with me and she isn't mithered by other cats.  Don't try putting him down for doing his best for this one, if everyone in the world was like Mark, the world would be a much nicer place and there wouldn't be as many unhappy, unloved cats out there.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 16:14:15 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2007, 15:57:33 PM »
definately agree with Dawn's point Mark make sure you keep us informed!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2007, 15:50:17 PM »
I won't be posting any more updates regarding Alice.

Mark, you know your cats, and we have no right dictating what is right and what is wrong in your situation.....go for it sunshine, and please, please keep us posted, I for one am over the moon that Alice has found at least for the time being, the best home she can.  And when it all works out and everyone's happy, you can turn round and say "I told you so  :bum::cheeky:  ;)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2007, 15:44:20 PM »
Aw, well done Mark, and I hope everything works out .......... even if it doesn't, bless you for trying  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2007, 15:41:26 PM »
Mark, I really think you are the best hun  :Flowers:  :cuddle:  I would give Alice a try, it won't hurt and you never know Willow might just like her  :Luv:  I have a couple of Sooty's, a mini Soot and a Big Soot.......they can be little  :censored: but only with certain cats and each other.  Not all cats dislike every cat, they are like humans and sometimes we like people and sometimes we don't.  She sounds as if she's really wormed her way into your heart and I for one, would give her a go.  If things don't work out, at least you've tried.  I'm praying that this little one has already found her place, you sound as if you are totally besotted with her and she with you,  :hug:  :hug:  Good luck and everythings crossed here that things work out, xxxxxx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2007, 13:40:52 PM »
I posted on the health section an update on her biopsy with good and bad news  :(

She isn't in immediate danger but will need regular check ups. I just went and had a cuddle with her.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=9875.0

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2007, 13:18:51 PM »
I hope this works out for you Mark, sounds like this poor girl needs a suite of her own to make up for living under a car for so long!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2007, 13:15:10 PM »
Thanks Lesley - It's purely selfish on my part  :evillaugh:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
I think you have done a wonderful thing Mark and I know how easy and how quickly you can get attached to these "temporary" cats.  Alice had no where else to go and you offered her warmth and comfort.

As you say, it is worth a try and I know you will do what is best for all the cats - and sometimes things do work out when you least expect it.

Good luck Mark.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2007, 09:14:42 AM »
Thanks Ruth  :hug:

Just one more thing I need to add. Sharon is well aware of the situation and said Alice comes first and if the perfect home comes along, Alice can't be denied the chance which I fully agree with.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:38 AM »
I agree with Mark. Everyone should realise that we each are familiar with our own circumstances and whilst Mark may have vented his frustration with Willow on here it is by no means an indication that he doesn't love her or the others.

He has said he will try this, at the very least to give Alice a chance. This is a special girl and Mark would never put her in any harm. Many of our members have rescue and foster experience but that does not make any of us the expert of what goes on in Mark's home.

Let's give him the support he needs now.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »
I think you both may be doing textbook assessments of my situation. As I said, I WILL TRY. There is no harm in that. I am around 24/7 and would not risk any harm coming to any of them. Willow is well aware of her existence and isn't fazed (she normally runs into the attic if I open the door but is holding back but isn't getting prickly). Every time I give her a fuss, I make sure all the other cats get a sniff of my hand etc. I am doing things slowly, exchanging scents at the moment. As much as I want to keep her, I will always do what is best for the cats and I feel I am being judged here.

At the moment, she has her own suite and no contact with the other cats. There were no other indoor foster places available and she was miserable and going downhill in the cattery. I will try careful introductions and if it doesn't work, she will remain available. She lived under a car for a year and I think she needs nurturing which I am able to do. Bearing in mind she was already in the cattery for 3 months without a single viewing, she is in the best possible place at the moment.

I won't be posting any more updates regarding Alice.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2007, 08:19:58 AM »
I agree MM, I wouldnt home a cat in that situation either.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2007, 20:31:55 PM »
You never know Willow and Alice may become best friends and maybe that's just what Willow needs, a comrade. 

What Willow needs is a home where shes centre of attention, another cat lounging on her dads lap isnt going to her impress her.

We all have our limits within a multicat household and really the charity decision makers should be looking at this in a practical manner.
If someone they didnt know came in and said we have 3 cats and one persistantly soils the house but we would like another they wouldnt jump into it with them.   :shy: :shy:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2007, 20:22:32 PM »
 :evillaugh: I just read your update on the other thread.  :hug:  Its not often these little uns make themselves at home in our hearts.  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2007, 20:15:45 PM »
:blow kiss: Isn't Unca Mark the bestest?  think Alice would agree :agree:

Thanks Ruth :shy: :naughty:
We posted about each other's cats about 30 seconds apart  :evillaugh:

That's what I am hoping. I have over a week to work this out. I cleared it with Sharon that we will at least foster her rather than moving her to another fosterer. She is due for a check up in 8 days so not available for viewing until at least then. I just wish I didn't have workmen in this week to try introductions with some peace & quiet.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2007, 20:09:56 PM »
 :blow kiss: Isn't Unca Mark the bestest?  think Alice would agree :agree:

I too agree that you should try at least. You never know Willow and Alice may become best friends and maybe that's just what Willow needs, a comrade.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2007, 16:02:20 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2007, 16:00:23 PM »
Thanks JS - I was wondering if you were a spy  :evillaugh:

Latest is. We went out for Sunday lunch. Just took Alice's lunch up. 5 mins later, OH appeared with laptop to do some work in the attic  :shify:

Then he said to Alice "I think Mark wants to keep you Alice, he will have to close the B&B down as there won't be enough room otherwise"  :shify:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2007, 13:17:53 PM »
Hehe! I know everything.... :shify:

The kitten rescued by PB like night is now with Caroline our fosterers. She is black and we have called her Luna.. She has a minor injury, very hungry and prob around 6wks old or so...

Just so you know you aren't losing the plot! :)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2007, 13:07:15 PM »
Glad that her belly is down, but I still dont think keeping her is an option - while Willow didn't seem bothered by her, she could still spray if another cat is introduced to her environment.

But its worth trying - you never know !!  Cats are strange things.
I wouldnt say give up before even trying xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2007, 12:26:24 PM »
Have I missed another thread - I don't remember mentioning Luna's name  :Crazy: - Did PB post something? (Losing the plot here  :Crazy: )

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2007, 12:22:02 PM »
I love that...."I'm staying in the attic to read a book!" Really(!) Glad Alice is doing well, I think she's a lovely looking girl. :Luv:

Also, the man that helped Luna renewed my faith in human nature. Staying up until all hours to catch her - what a nice guy!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 12:22:20 PM by JackSpratt »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »
oh right , i thought the others were male  ;D

sounds like a love affair in the making  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Link to CatChat