Author Topic: Help Derby - CP neutering? etc big rescue - feral/trap/kitten  (Read 12416 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Help Derby - CP neutering? etc big rescue - feral/trap/kitten
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 17:10:53 PM »
Sadly tabby cat has not been taken to the vet. M is using milk and says the swelling has gone, its not infected and nature will take its course if the eye is kept clean - which it won't be if taken to the vets where it can pck up all sorts of infections.

I just managed to keep my cool and laughed to say 'I was just going to shout at her 'cos I thought it was cruel but decided we would have to agree to disagree on that (cliches are always good for these times), that it was a cultural thing that city folk would take their cats to a vet if they thought they were in pain.....'

To be honest, as it was so dark can't say how bad it was anyway.

Can I just state for the record, if the cats now start to have health problems it really won't be our fault as I can see that one coming if anything nasty breaks out! (as in ' they were as healthy as butter to that cat group came - they must have brought summat with them.......') :-[

See even nice people are hard work!!

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »
I am tired too Angie, and have washed the dirt from my shoes.  One of my fosters goes to his new home today, so am working towards that, but the more I think about the situation there, the more frustrated I feel!

I wish we could stockpile some of the ones that were spayed/neutered, out of the way, so we are not retrapping them again and again!  I wish M would just say take these please I know I have too many.  I wish she could give us a final number of cats she wishes to retain.  Be it 4 or 14, not scores of cats surely?

I hope she takes the tabby to the vets today. 
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 10:18:07 AM »
At least you have managed something Angie, fingers crossed for the rest
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 10:15:47 AM »
so total to date : 7 boys castrated (3 by us), 3 females spayed (one by us who came in with the 4 kittens and she will be returning this weekend), 1 mum to be spayed by us ( and returned if todays anything to go by!) and a total of 10 kittens to be socialized and found homes.

Still so many cats and kittens there.

Top work, what a shame that the situation was allowed to get so bad in the first place. 

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »
Margaret the farmers shoulder has been bad and she has not managed to trap anything for a while.
Having said that she was quite active yesterday, humping stuff around the farm and was certainly strong enough to help move a matress and spring base out of her caravan with us to make room to put up a pen in the back.

Caught several cats that had already been done or not up to going yet (according to M) and was getting highly frustrated. Finally spent most of evening catching 2 kittens in the sheep shed and then using them to catch mum (or hopefully as then M couldn't decide if there were more kittens or mum was mum and at 9pm I feared we'd come home empty handed!).

Caught a young tabby in the trap that had a really nasty looking eye (as much as we could see in the dark) and M has promised to take it to the  vet today - we did try and bring that one away as well. We were trying to impress how quickly eyes things can spread across the farm and how sore it is but as we were leavinig M was muttering about bathing in milk so we'll see what happens when i phone up later.

the new mum cat has rearranged the small pen but I don't feel like tackling her today so she'll have to make do as it is.
Judith and I got back just before midnight and I for one am knackered this morning!

so total to date : 7 boys castrated (3 by us), 3 females spayed (one by us who came in with the 4 kittens and she will be returning this weekend), 1 mum to be spayed by us ( and returned if todays anything to go by!) and a total of 10 kittens to be socialized and found homes.

Still so many cats and kittens there.

We left another 2 pens up there so that M can try and trap and keep for us or have females recovering from vet or (hopefully) somewhere to contain kittens that need their eyes seen to 4 times a day.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 21:12:28 PM »
Awwww I love wussy buttons  :Luv2:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 21:10:56 PM »
Sue has taken mummycat and her 4, the tabby twins, fluffy black and scardy grey and white. They are the most hissy, spitty and Sue loves them that way - someone has to I suppose!  :Luv2:

So I'm left with the 4 who are now out of the pen and tbh are probably ready to home to the right home. Bunty has something going on on the tip of her nose and I'm not sure if it might be ringworm or not but I'm sure a quick trip to the vet will see.
All of them have purred though Buttons is the timid one of the four, boots just wants to go out in the garden and bazil and bunty are too busy playing.

boots

wussy buttons

Bazil and Bunty (another white and tortie!)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 16:07:22 PM »
Angie I didn't see all this till you had gone out but if you do this again please let me know as if I am not working I will gladly come out and help you x

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »
The twins....

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 12:05:36 PM »
The adults are going to go to Thompsons in Leek.

The young'uns will go to whichever vet is local - I know our local CP will help us with some of the neutering for the kittens and mums we bring here.
4 of these are (hopefully!) going to Sue in Nottingham shortly - couldn't get hold of her yesterday as we would have come back via the M1 and dropped them off.

Margaret (the farmer) has been on the phone this morning to check on them, she's also trying to decide if to let the mum cat go back with one of her kittens (when spayed) so that she will have family. (or perhaps placed on another farm with a couple of the kittens).

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 23:28:31 PM »
Angie, are you using a vet in Leek to get them neutered or having them all done with you.  My vet's friend is a vet I think on Leek Road and she said she's lovely to deal with  :shy:  Still not had any luck with the plea but I'll put it out again and see if we can get something sorted.  Hopefully I may be able to get over some time next week to do some trapping, got my hands full at the moment and pregnant cats coming out of my ears but I'll see what I can do  :hug:

All the cats/kittens look gorgeous  :Luv2:  :Luv2:  I've just had 2 stunning grey pregnant mums in, they are just  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 23:01:52 PM »
BTW, three of these are the three I took back on Monday!  :Luv2: :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 23:06:07 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 22:48:29 PM »
Following better communication channels at CP can you not ask the Derby branch to contact HQ to put out a general plea and they may be able to  help with transport.. The trouble is down here we are just too far away... but 70 cats is alot of cats i must say..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 22:41:03 PM »
Allrightie... to get this thread back on track >:(

Met up with Jane and Jill from Derby CP and went to farm. CP have left 5 traps and are arranging the neutering end of things, so a big thankyou to them for that. We still have no real idea of how many cats there are to be dealt with and are starting a sweep. JillE guesses at 70, Judith guesses at 60 (that was before we got there) , Me? don't know yet though you can guarantee if we're trapping in 3 months time there will be more!

So some pictures from a day at a farm.....

View one way

view aniother way

farmhouse burnt down a few years ago and not repaired (along wih the death of a few of the farmers pet cats)

a few of the other residents in the big shed

and........

the ones we brought back resting in cages in my spare room

The top 3 and the ginger in the second photos are about 4 months old and from the same litter, mummy is fat, expecting again and still on the farm.
The bottom photo is mum and 4 kittens (10 - 12 weeks) plus of course the ginger and white.

There are still 4 litters ranging from a few days old to about 5 weeks and another 3 pregnant cats that we can see and there may be more.
 We desperately need volunteers to foster these as and when they get caught so please...... if anyone is thinking of getting a cat think about doing a 1-off foster first. Spread the word and lets get this colony sorted out.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 17:04:27 PM »
They were a fantastic pair  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 11:52:04 AM »
Oooh those pictures are inspirational Julie!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »
A diamond in the rough is always a great find, wherever it comes from.   :)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 07:50:37 AM »
 :thanks:

But all I did was clean them up and win their trust.  :shy:

Those 2 are/were Apache and Sqauw now called Rosemary and Dill. They were born in an industrial estate and it took me hours to get the engine oil out of their coats.  :doh:

Fingers crossed when folks stumble on this thread in future, they'll realise when you rake around rubbish dumps sometimes you find nuggets of pure Gold.  8) Maybe it'll convince the anti feral brigade it's worth the time and trouble...  ;)

Hyjack over, I promise!  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 07:02:25 AM »
Julie, those piccies are truly amazing!  Looks like you fostered a pair of lions!  ;D

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 22:07:15 PM »
They are georgeous cats  :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 21:54:19 PM »
That after picture is stunning Julie  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 21:38:21 PM »
I think we're all agreed that ferals addictive.  :evillaugh:

For me, it's totally selfish. When I get a fresh batch of kittens they are usually covered in fleas, scabs, ticks and gorse. Their little eyes glare out in anger and they screw up their little faces and spit for all their might is worth. Such a sight would curdle the blood of well adjusted folks!  :evillaugh: But I'm nuts, me, and all I can see are the beautifully sleak, polished, purring show-stoppers that they will become given enough time and patience.  :sneaky:

I do feel sorry for the folks who will never know what it does to your insides when they finally purr for the first time ever... but then again I don't as that priviledge is all mine!  :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 21:10:19 PM »
I'll second tha Dawn most of our ferals aren't fot the feinthearted in fact half of ours would be PTS candidates as they really like all the things we can give them, food, warmth and their own pets - the dogs but humans are a whole different thing

We love them for their spirit, and when they do something a domestic does like head rub your leg even by accident is worth all the time you will wait

Ours have a domestic for each set of ferals and I love them all just working on the latest candidate who is playing wardobe launching currently! :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 20:32:36 PM »
Fair do's. It's not everyone who can appreciate the aesthetic beauty of a creature that spits in your eye while you're trying to save it's life.  :rofl: :rofl:

:evillaugh: I love them all regardless and have the scars on my arms to prove it  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 20:09:39 PM »
Maybe its more OUCHHHH factor  :rofl:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 20:02:41 PM »
Fair do's. It's not everyone who can appreciate the aesthetic beauty of a creature that spits in your eye while you're trying to save it's life.  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 19:57:59 PM »
They give me the AHHHHHH factor. Sorry couldnt resist  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 19:33:43 PM »
I can only speak for my branch where we consider all cat equal, kittens, golden oldies, sick cats, ferals.

Shame not all rescues view the cat population as equal, lots want the cute little ones or the ones that give the aah factor, sadly ferals don't come under that category  :tired:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 19:25:11 PM »
I can only speak for my branch where we consider all cat equal, kittens, golden oldies, sick cats, ferals.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 17:46:45 PM »
In my experience and dealing with most local rescues, it is a case of it's only ferals, let someone else deal with it.  One of my local ones will refuse to help when it comes to adults or ferals, wave in a kitten in front of their nose, and they'll snap them up  :sneaky:  Yes in some cases it's down to manpower but I am a one man band and have helped numerous cats out of my area because when the local rescues have been contacted, they've turned a blind eye. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 14:48:27 PM »
  I just can't believe no other rescues in the area will help, if everyone pullled together instead of everything being a competition,

I do not think that fair comment. It is not always a case of not willing to help, it is a case of not having  the manpower to deal with the situations in your own area never mind other areas.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:24 AM »
Really sorry this situation isn't near me as I'd be out there with you.  ;)

I know you would Julie  :hug:  I just can't believe no other rescues in the area will help, if everyone pullled together instead of everything being a competition, life would be so much easier and the pressure wouldn't be so bad on individual rescues  :sneaky:

I think all Rescues would love to be able to do more than they do, and they do so much valuable work without which we'd be right up the proverbial creek without a paddle.   I doubt this is so much a case of things being a competition, but more like knowing current limitations, which seems to be sensible.   

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 07:13:36 AM »
Jayne from Derby CP has phoned me today.

Derby do a lot of feral work  in the Buxton and the moors areas and are wonderful in the feral field.

Re the vouchers. Perhaps you could have a word with the vet and ask him/her to credit your account once you have the vouchers  from HQ to cover the cost.

Just thought, If Jayne from Derby rings HQ they can give authority immediately and add an amount to the branches neutering account. I have done this loads of times recently.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:16:00 AM by Ela »

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 20:32:29 PM »
Jayne from Derby CP has phoned me today.
She want to arrange a meeting with me at the farm (just got back from dropping off 3 neutered toms and returned the kittens!) to assess the situation.

So I shall try and arrange something tomorrow (prob thurs as I'm in Luton tomorrow).

Tell you what I'm sick of that motorway! Nevermind somebody has to keep BP going.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 23:02:58 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 20:20:59 PM »

I know you would Julie  :hug:  I just can't believe no other rescues in the area will help, if everyone pullled together instead of everything being a competition, life would be so much easier and the pressure wouldn't be so bad on individual rescues  :sneaky:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 20:16:08 PM »
CP are notoriously slow at paperwork but they do come up trumps in the end.  :) If you can hang on for the vouchers, which may take a week or so, I think that's much more preferable than going into more debt.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 20:03:45 PM »
Financially I am in exactly the same boat and struggle from week to week as I'm sure every other rescue is at this time of year, but I thought if a few of us could pull together, it's going to cost less in the long run because in a few weeks, there's going to be lots more to deal with as in all the females will be having kittens, and I know how overwhelming it is to deal with a large colony, I've done it on my own enough times  :tired:  Not to worry anyway, we can only do what we can do, hopefully I'll get a result from the plea I've put out, thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 20:06:57 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 19:58:55 PM »
Dawn its not a case of not wanting to help; Firstly I checked the distance and it is a 1 hour journey each way, at present I have lots of small kittens on 4 hourly feeds which would mean the maximum time per trip of 2hours trapping. Vet wise I have had lots of very serious cases in and my current vet bill will use up all my funds and more besides which means I am already adding to my huge personal overdraft for food etc. My vet charges me £35 per spay,with the best will in the world I cannot take on more debt, I am in danger of going under. I am currently worried sick because if Pedro has to have this bowel op thats £1200.
Last week I had to ask Mandy at Catchat to put a note on my header page saying No Room at the Inn.
I am really sorry I have thought long and hard and the decision has been really difficult,if anything changes I will let you know.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 19:33:28 PM »
Is there any chance you can help with trapping T and possibly get a couple spayed/neutered?  I'm up to my eyes in it and I'm further away but will help with trapping  :shy:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 19:11:00 PM »
Sorry not able to offer any help, we are already overstretched and more.

Link to CatChat