Author Topic: Please pray for sickly kittens  (Read 26919 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Please pray for sickly kittens
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2008, 18:53:41 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear this news PB.... my thoughts are with you and OH... I know how devestating it is to lose them this young.  :hug:

Don't forget that you have done your best for the little ones and far more than they would have ever known had they not been with you :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2008, 18:48:07 PM »
Hi, all

We've had some devastating news here. After a full day of tests and trying to find what's wrong with Hastings tum, Rob finally succeeded is getting a blood sample - not easy in a kitten this small - and Hastings has proved to be FIV+. Rob has said given all these dice against us, there was nothing left we could do for Hastings. He went to the Bridge this afternoon.

I have to tell you my OH and I are in bits. Not a brilliant week for us in Canterbury.  :'( :'(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »
we are all rooting for you pb, hope hastings doesn't have the dreaded fip

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2008, 10:08:50 AM »
What a roller coaster - rooting so hard for these little ones and sending positive vibes their way xxx

Fingers crossed that it is not FIP.   :hug:   :hug:  :hug: for you xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
Some news...

I became so concerned about Hastings' tum overnight, I called Rob the vet as soon as they opened and Rob told me to bring them both straight in.  :briggin: Rob is never one to give up on a fight, and has taken Hastings for a scan. If this swelling in fluid, it's bad news and could be an indication of FIP. But Rob will drain the fluid and send it off for analysis.  :'(

Little Sandwich, who yelled all the way there, and all the way back, seems to have stuck a middle claw up to the world and is still not giving in. It appears I got her weight a little wrong before and she weighed 180g on Wednesday, not 120g as I thought. Today, she had managed to gain 40g and is now 220g.  :wow: I think the ultra rich recovery food and the rehydration fluid might be responsible for the gain.  ;) She's still a weak little soul and we are worried sick about her, but she's got spirit and if she's prepared to keep trying, so are we.  :naughty:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:01:06 AM by Pinkbear »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 09:17:40 AM »
:care: Good luck at the vets, Julie. I really hope there's a way these two can be helped.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »
Julie
Will pray you get the strength you need to get you through, I know the little ones are in the best hands so sending positive vibes  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2008, 07:55:34 AM »
I Will keep you all in my thoughts today, and your vet will give you the best advice, good luck with whatever that is.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2008, 02:32:54 AM »
RIP Dover!  :(

Sending positive vibes for the other babes~~~~~and stay strong vibes for yourself~~~~~ :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2008, 00:12:13 AM »
Have only just caught up with this again and sorry to hear about Dover and hope that Sandwich and Hastings will make it  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2008, 23:58:18 PM »
Sorry to hear things are not looking good, I really hope that miracles can happen but if not then I hope they cross over to the Bridge peacefully  :hug:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2008, 23:01:19 PM »
Good luck with Sandwich and Hastings - thinking about you    :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2008, 22:20:34 PM »
Julie
Just cant find the words other than I know your pain.
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2008, 22:11:01 PM »
Sorry Julie - you sound like your heart is breaking  :'( :hug:

I keep picturing Sandwich's little face - I just wish there was something we could do - Rob will do what needs to be done and you need a break before you crack  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 22:12:47 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2008, 22:03:38 PM »
My thoughts are with Sandwich, Hastings and with you, Pinkbear.  Your vet will be able to take a dispassionate view in the best interests of the little ones.  I would only say, cross no bridges until you come to them  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2008, 21:58:35 PM »
Both Sandwich and Hastings are back to see Rob tomorrow. I have a sad feeling we won't be bringing either of them back.  :'( :'(

Little Sandwich has not improved at all. No matter what we try to feed her, she only tibbles and isn't eating enough to keep a sparrow going. I am syringing her with the dyhydration fluid 3 times a day, which is hopefully keeping her comfortable. All she wants is to be cuddled all the time and as soon as she sees you, she cries to be picked up and buries her head in your chest and nods off to sleep. We don't mind that, of course, but we can't even get her to eat from our fingers now. We are also expecting her to pass away at any minute and the stress is horrific.  :Crazy:

Hastings is now so bloated that he can barely walk. He's also started to be sick, which is worrying. I'm afraid I'm just too scared to look after him at the moment as something is going to rupture inside him before long and it's just going to be horrid, I know.  :'( I'm going to ask Rob to keep him in, that's if Rob feels there are still things we can do for Hastings.  :scared:

I'm asking myself if we are keeping these kittens going for us, or for them. Ultimately, Rob will decide and he knows we are feeling emotional about them... but I can't keep them going if there is no hope and so far, nothing is working.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »
sending all positive thoughts and vibes your way PB... the wee darlings are so trying to fight!  bless them.  I'll ask mum to add them to her prayers.

You are doing everything you can for them PB just remember that.   whilst we all want them to make it try to think that even if some of them don't... you have shown them what love and affection and safety is.  They would never have known that otherwise.  :hug:

thinking of you and the little ones lots :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »
120g  :Crazy: weight of a newborn  :scared:

I hope they all pull through julie  :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »
Miracle on it's way PB  :wish: xxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for all your support and kind wishes. It's a bit of a roller coaster here and it's so good knowing folks care.  :cuddle:

Rob the vet called me last night to say he thought Sandwich and Hastings would be better off with me. He's pumped them full of meds and says he couldn't do anything more than I am doing. So off I went to collect them again.  :tired:

Sandwich is now on 4 different meds, as well as special rehydrating drink and royal canin recovery mush - which she really seems to love and eats without any forcing.  :Luv: Hastings (or Foul Bowels) is also on 2 kinds of diarreagh treatment, but is still bombing around like a lunatic even though he looks 9 months pregnant with that belly. Rob has sent samples of both their poo for analysis just in case they have some kind of digestive virus, but he's sure this is all due to a very poor nutritional start in life.

Rob says all the time Sandwich is trying to make a go of it, he'll keep supporting her, and in even the few hours he had her he saw she's still got some spirit. As weak as she is, she still manage to swipe at Hastings when he stood on her tail.  :evillaugh:

But do the math... This litter is supposed to be 8 weeks old and Romney (the biggest of the litter) weighed 450g and Sandwich weighed 120g. We need a miracle.  :wish:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »
I'm sorry PB.  :hug:

sometimes doing our best is not enough when these poor things have had such a bad start in life.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2008, 08:04:23 AM »
aww, I do hope the little ones can prove the vets wrong, but whatever happens, they werent alone outside.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2008, 13:32:37 PM »
Poor little babies  :(  Have everything crossed for them and a  :hug: for you

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2008, 13:25:06 PM »
I have just caught up with this thread, Pinkbear.  I am so sorry to hear that you have lost the little one and Dover.  But they were cared-for and not alone; you are doing wonderful work.  I have my fingers crossed for Romney and Hythe, as well as Sandwich and Hastings.

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2008, 13:06:57 PM »
Poor babies. You need a break from it Julie  :hug:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 13:06:03 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this PB, at least they are in the right place now, fingers crossed for little Romney and Hythe

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »
Well, I've just returned from the vet. Apart from little Sandwich being in a bad way, something needed to be done about Hastings' tum. He was so blown up with gas, hewas  like a little barrel and constantly shovelling food in one end then pooing it out of the other.  :shocked:

Rob the vet has decided to keep them both in. Sandwich is dehydrated and is going on a drip, and Hastings needs special meds to calm his system down. Rob is a brilliant vet and we trust his judgement, but he said it looks bleak for them both. I have to say I'm just about out of bravery now, and I do feel like a coward but I am also relieved that I won't have to sit and watch them pass away. And I know they couldn't be in a better place and the nurses will love them both to bits.  :Luv: I could never be a vet nurse - imagine having to deal with things like this every day?  :(

Romney and Hythe have come back with me and are having some treatment to clear up their mild diarreagh. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we can at least save these 2.  :tired:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »
sorry to hear about Dover, you are doing a great job pb

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
Oh PB... I'm really sorry to hear about Dover :hug:

Sometimes though no matter how much we will it the little ones are just not meant to stay in this world. It doesn't make the whole thing any easier but try to think that at least you have given the little ones lots of love and attention so that they may know what love is before they go to the bridge.

I know how heartbreaking it is to lose them so young.  But you are doing the best you can for them and that is all that they would ever ask :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 10:40:15 AM »
Sorry to hear about Dover   :hug: :hug: you gave him the best chance

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 09:35:01 AM »
So sorry Julie

RIP little Dover - have fun at the bridge sweet boy xx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 09:12:59 AM »
I'm so sorry, Julie.

RIP, Dover. :RIP:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 08:22:32 AM »
I am so sorry to hear this, I do hope that the rest of the litter pull through. RIP Dover
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 08:06:13 AM »
A real shock to us all here, but Dover died during the night. Poor little Dover had grown a tad, and was eating much better, and I just don't know what I'm supposed to do to get these kittens to pull through!  :'( :'( :'(

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 13:26:26 PM »
fantastic news thanks for passing it on mark  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 09:37:28 AM »
Julie asked me to pass this news on - rather than reword, I just copied her email  ;D

Well, you could blow us down with a feather here!

We were getting low on the Royal Canin, so as some of them had improved a great deal, I thought we'd go back to the Felix. Guess whose little nose was first to sniff the air and went straight to the bowl and started to eat???

Little Sandwich appears to have been holding out for Felix and just didn't like the Royal Canin. We will continue the regime of feeding little and often, but this is the best development we've had for yonks!! Mark, please tell the purrs people as I'm off to work in a mo... Lets hope this is the start of him/her getting better.

Jxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 07:56:32 AM »
Fingers crossed - do you have some scales so you can weigh them every day Julie?
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 03:38:01 AM »
Sending tons of positive healing vibes for the little one.....they are all so gorgeous!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2008, 23:58:57 PM »
Hope the little ones start to improve... sending lots of positive vibes and :hug: for all.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 23:38:49 PM »
I've only just read this thread. I'm really sorry you lost one of these little guys, Julie. :(

But it looks like you're doing wonders that are still in your care. :hug:

Link to CatChat