Author Topic: Melissa. (one of the two siamese on street after owner died -Canterbury)  (Read 11793 times)

Offline BigPaws (Rae&Missa)

• Adult Cat
Hiya Millys mum and all

No!- the collar in the pic doesnt as its the one she came with and I didnt want to stress her out anymore but now she is venturing further than the freezer I have one ready for her, so will swap it over and then take her pic again when she is "dressed". ;D

Rae
xxx
COME BACK MADDIE CAT, MELISSA IS WAITING FOR YOU

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
 :Luv: :Luv:
Glad she is braving trips out now.
Does her collar have a break away clip?  :shy:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Gorgeous  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
what a sweetie, i love colour pointed cats!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Ahhhhhhh  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Adult Cat
Hope this works-

Not a brilliant picture but she only stayed still 10 mins! 

This is Melissa- a little fatter and helping me on the PC

Rae
xxx

• Adult Cat
Thanks all- I would love for her companion to be found and re-united with her that would be amazing but if not then I would definately consider bringing another rescue siamese in as company for her once she has settled a little more.  I think about her friend all teh time, especially when Melissa is looking at you with that sad look in her beautiful blue eyes.  I just hope and pray that if she is not caught then she is being loved as much as Melissa and someone is caring for her properly- poor baby.

All advice is greatfully received.

As I am typing she is sat in the front room being cuddled by my daughter and creeping around the furniture.  She made loads of noise this morning and wouldnt stop, i it took a while but  I have worked out that she doesnt like the sound of the dryer next to the freezer so she is now exporing the front room.

Hope everyone is well today
Love Rae
xxx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Brilliant, so pleased she's gradually coming out of her shell  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
ahh that's wonderful so pleased she has ventured out and is getting lots of cuddles. 

• Adult Cat
Hi all, sorry its been a few days since I updated.

Well, Melissa has eventually come out of hiding.

She sneaks into the front room at night when its really quiet.  To start with any movement and she was off but now she hides but comes out after a while.

Melissa is now coming to her name a little more and when she gets stroked she rolls onto her back and from side to side and lets you really fuss her, purring her head off.  She is now eating Siamese mix biscuits and fresh chicken or cod mixed with a little applaws food, which is fabulous as it is almost all meat and she has flavours like prawn and seaweed, it actually smells wonderful.  She is partial to a little salmon and ham too.  She is eating quite a boit now as the first few days she ate very very little and brought up more than she ate.

She loves her upgraded potato basket and snuggles into the furry wigwam (still on top of the freezer) all the time.  I know she feels very safe there.  (I think its like going from a 1 star to a 5 star hotel for her, and at least fur is more comfy than wicker and king edwards!! ;D)

She is brilliant.  More news later
Thanks to everyone for your continued support, it means a lot.

Rae
xxx :Luv:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
great news to hear that Melissa is doing well... she is such a :Luv2: girl.

These things all take time and by the sounds of things you have the patience she needs to let her do things in her own time.  She will venture out from her wigwam when she is ready and so long as she does things in her own time and doesn't feel 'pressured' or 'forced' she will come to trust you.

She just needs to be able to see she is safe and considering what she has been through it is no wonder the wee angel is so afraid.

You'll both get there... 1 day at a time ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi Rae,

How's Melissa doing?  Has she ventured out of her box yet?

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Abit of topic but as soon as Melissa went from my household my two Bella and Leo relaxed abit.. They are as i type both asleep on the blue cat bed that Melissa was on a few days ago, this time both together... I love Siamese and have had them for many many years, they are very loyal cats and i think Melissa would do well with another puss cat in her life later on.. I would be coaxing her outside during the summer..

Still i am sure it will all work out and in the meantime we are still trying to catch the AWOL one this way..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
She  is lovely and a Seal point-a little underweight but nothing that you can't soon sort.
As they get older the points do darken and you get more colouration on the body too also the coat gets a little shaggier as they age.
She has had a bad experience and inevitably will be traumatised and nervous. Having kept Siamese oover the years I know how hard it can be to get them to relax and some will never loose their fears and tbh if she were mine (and I would have happily had her as I recently lost my 20 year old rescue Siamese and have a 5 year old lilac point rescue girl from a cruelty case rescue who was bonding with her so well and now misses her) i would use a kitten pen and get her used to it as her space and her safe place. When Ice came to me she was confident but had a habit of biting hard for attention which she craved having been kept with her own babies with her uncastrated brother in a garage and was a baby machine. Ice soon accepted it was her place with her bed and water and tray -although I fed her in the room to get her used to me. Undoutably your girl will miss feline company especially since she is used to it and I hope you will let her have a friend soon.
As far as outdoor life goes she may never want to go out and at least that way she remains safe-she has no happy memories of life outdoors!
I have a mixed cat household and over the years have introduced all kinds of cats many from rescues and many with problems and disabilities and i know that although Siamese will happily befriend other cats they do love the company of a fellow Siamese.
It would be great if her sister could be found and reunited with her but in reality she may need a more confident cat as a companion to help her get over her nervousness.
I hope it all works out well for you both.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I love them - it's long haired ones I have issues with - although I was fussing Carolines 2 Persians yesterday.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
She's lovely, I don't normally 'do' siameses (don't shout at me, I'm converted now  :evillaugh:) but her colouring is gorgeous  :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Aww, it is still such early days for her, I am sure she will come round soon.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
She is lovely and I am sure she will come round when she is ready  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: Ahhh she is gorgeous.

• Adult Cat
Aww Sharon- Thank you they are lovely.

Time is something I have a lot of with her so thats good, as I moderate my local Freecycle group from home.

She is still in her wigwam!- although she has looked out twice today, and meowed and hissed too- so I know she is still in there!! ;D

Rae
xxx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Aw bless her she is gorgeous.... :Luv:

Tis very early day's with Melissa for you at the moment Rae.....I wonder if plugging in a Feliway diffuser may help make her feel more relaxed in herself? Its a big upheaval she has been through with the loss of her slave, her missing pal, being with Sharon then being with you....time is gonna play a big part here....Good luck!  :hug:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
These are two fo the nice photos i took when Melissa was with me..

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 15:34:22 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I'm sure she'll come round in time, she is probably a bit shell shocked at the moment!  glad she is eating

• Adult Cat
I thought, if it is ok with the moderators, that I would put an update about Melissa on a seperate thread so that you could all see her progress.

As you know I fetched Melissa from Sharon at Canterbury Cats on Sunday.  She is one of the two siames that were made homeless after their owner passed away and one of the duo is still AWOL.

Day one, she caused a rescue mission after hiding up behind the sink and then once she was out of there found  away behind the washing machine.  We Melissa proofed the kitchen and she then decided to make her home on top of the fridge freezer in the porch off the kitchen, in a potato basket.  She ate very little and brought up what she had eaten so I then cooked her chicken breast for her second night and mixed it with a teaspoon of her food and put siamese mix biscuits seperate.  She has now for the past two nights eaten this almost in its entirity and kept it all down.

She is a  funy cat, she wont come down from the fridge for anything and only leaves her safe place at night when the house is dark and all are in bed.  Then she sneaks down, eats, drinks and uses her tray and then goes back to her little den.  If I didnt tell you there was a puss in the house you would never even know.

Yesterday, I upgraded the potato basket for a flufffy T.P and she seems quite content snuggled up in there.  If you stretch in and stroke her head you sometimes get a purr but she has not left the safety of her kitty house once yet.

Its early days and where she is she is warm and safe and left to settle in on her terms so I am sure within the next few weeks she will see that she is safe and loved and may venture out at some stage.

I will post you some pics soon (although you may have to look really hard to see her).

Bye for now and thanks for all the support it is really appreciated.

Rae :Luv:

Link to CatChat