Author Topic: Homecheck passed, kittens now home! *more piccys*  (Read 37120 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Homecheck passed, but nothings ever simple!
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2008, 10:37:32 AM »
Yeah its all exciting when were getting our furbabes.....the wait seems forever...it wont be hun, your better off waiting till they are 100% or as near as can be.....Good things come to those who wait!  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2008, 10:15:51 AM »
Fingers crossed, but I can see their reasoning, most rescues wont home cats if they are still under the care of the vet, you have to look at it from the point of view that their vet has probably recommended not homing them till they have finished their meds and he has given the OK, if they are moved and they get worse, it is their fault. The other scenario you mentioned is different, as they will be long term health issues, and it is a struggle to get people to adopt cats with existing health issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2008, 08:32:16 AM »
Thinking of you Bryony. Hoping like anything that all goes well. :hug:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2008, 08:06:15 AM »
 :luck:

Good luck, Bryony. . . . hope you can give us some good news later . . . . .

(don't forget to take a little bag with a cut onion in it so that you can get really big, really fat tears . . .  just in case you have to go with the 'last resort' plan .. . .  ;) :evillaugh: )

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2008, 07:47:45 AM »
all my fingers and toes crossed for you this morning Bryony :hug:

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2008, 23:09:16 PM »
EVEN BETTER Bryony, tell them you have taken THE WHOLE WEEK off work especially so you could see them settled in...

My god, I feel like strangling them, you must be ready to bash something.....

Take your other half and let him get annoyed!!!, not to shout, not to be rude but you need back up because someone is deffo on a serious power trip there!!!  >:(

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2008, 20:03:39 PM »
I wasn't going to, was just going to mention that due to our shifts next week there will be someone around to look after them and to take them to the vets on Friday.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2008, 19:28:11 PM »
you see I wouldn't even mention the three hours they would be alone ....
Me either ... they wouldn't be alone at all.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2008, 19:24:53 PM »
you see I wouldn't even mention the three hours they would be alone ....

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2008, 19:23:28 PM »
Lol, my OH isn't really a voice of reason, he will be with me but has been told to keep his mouth shut if possible. He gets a bit snappy if he's frustrated/annoyed. The last person to get it in the neck was the DHL woman because they accidently sent something he ordered to Exeter and he'd paid a fair bit for next day sat delivery.

I'm good at talking and getting my point accross but if they argue with me too much I might find it difficult, I admit I'm a lot better than I used to be though so I may be ok.

Setting aside everything else is in part true, I specificly turned down overtime work on the bank hols because I thought I would be settling them in and next week is perfect because OH isn't on shift til 1 and I will be home shortly after 4 each day so they will only be left for 3 hours on their own.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2008, 19:20:20 PM »
umm, and make sure they don't take you into a private area, do this in the public environment, so that they have to explain themselves in front of witnesses. I have found in the past that this is a very effective way of engaging with someone who is being unreasonable as they become aware that others are listening. I did it once when returning a pair of shoes that fell apart the first time I bought them. They lost several customers before they caved, but they did cave ...  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2008, 19:15:41 PM »
I'm not the sort of person to get angry but depending on the kind of reply I get from the manager, I may well cry as I don't deal brilliantly with confrontation.

You could also say that you've set aside this whole weekend and following week to ensure you can devote all your time to the cats,  cancelled all appointments, told friends not to call round etc etc - so would be an ideal time to have them HOME!  :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2008, 19:10:22 PM »
Maybe all this is telling you to get Lesley's kittens  :Luv: :Luv: If I was back in Portsmouth I'd definately be up for some  :shify: catnapping.

Probably should have done, and certainly would have if these 2 hadn't stolen my heart the way they have. I was watching scrubs last night and this line seems appropriate - 'Nothing in life that is worth having comes easily'

Too true. Ahh well stick with it and if you need purrs people to knock some sense into them I'm sure there will be a few volunteers.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2008, 19:08:47 PM »
Bryony - take your other half with you - if you don't cope well with confrontation (and I am obviously hoping that it doesn't come to that!) it may well hope to have TWO voices of reason talking to the centre staff. And it will show them that you are both committed to these little cats . . . .

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2008, 19:06:34 PM »
Maybe all this is telling you to get Lesley's kittens  :Luv: :Luv: If I was back in Portsmouth I'd definately be up for some  :shify: catnapping.

Probably should have done, and certainly would have if these 2 hadn't stolen my heart the way they have. I was watching scrubs last night and this line seems appropriate - 'Nothing in life that is worth having comes easily'

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2008, 19:05:26 PM »
Harna - thanks for those pointers - all very valid especially the fact that my taking them to my vet won't cost them any of that money that they struggle so much to get! I think the cats probably know me more than the rest of the staff now after all the time I've spent there, they are certainly perfectly happy cuddled up on my lap every time I go there and I'm sure the cattery staff who have seen this would happily back me up as they were all for me taking them this weekend.

I'm not the sort of person to get angry but depending on the kind of reply I get from the manager, I may well cry as I don't deal brilliantly with confrontation.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2008, 19:02:48 PM »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2008, 19:02:33 PM »
(the thing is, my husband will say that my daughter learnt that trick from me!!  :evillaugh: How else could I get the kitchen re-done, eh?!  ;) )

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2008, 19:00:25 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2008, 18:59:49 PM »
 :evillaugh:  yeah, well, sometimes a few well-placed tears can get a job done.

(I learnt this from my daughter!!!) :Luv2:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2008, 18:59:42 PM »
I like 'crying' :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
Crying works ..... crying got me Memphis  :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2008, 18:58:38 PM »
I like 'crying' :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2008, 18:57:09 PM »
I agree with BC and Harna.

I don't know of any rescue who would keep the animals there just to give them meds. I don't get whats going on.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 18:52:25 PM »
Ha!

Cross posted!!   
 :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2008, 18:52:05 PM »
I would change 'suggested' to 'said' and also point out the benefits of four consecutive days of both humans in the house over the Easter Break to ensure they are fully settled in their new home ... Good luck - and take the carry baskets. Only rather than talk to the volunteers, ask to speak to the person in charge ...  >:(

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2008, 18:51:39 PM »
 :censored:

Oh, for heaven's sake!!!!

How about going in to the centre, asking to speak to the Manager/ess and requesting (politely, of course) that :

* someone show you how to do the meds so that you can take these cats home to a dedicated, warm, environment where they can get one-on-one attention and not have the stress of other cats and lots of people around them.

*Acknowledge that the move may not be ideal in the first instance but compared to living in a small pen with the busy bustle of the cattery around them, it will be nothing.

*Make a point of reminding them of your cat owning history, play up the fact that you have shown your loyalty and dedication to these little cats by being such a frequent visitor (therefore minimising the impact of taking them home)

* Let them know that you are frustrated that you are attempting to do the right thing by these cats, have provided them with all the (insane) information that they have requested, and point out that you taking them will free-up the pen for other needy cats. (rescue centres always have a waiting list of cats to be rehomed, don't they?!)

* Tell them again that you are happy to take the cats to YOUR vet, pointing out that this will save THEM money.

Remember: as hard as it is, remain calm and don't get cross (not that I am suggesting you will be but many people by this stage will be tempted to shout in frustration!).

And if all the above doesn't work, cry!  :evillaugh:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2008, 18:49:02 PM »
I've had a think about it and I'm going to go in tomorrow and explain the following:

: That I believe they would be better out of the drafty pen - I imagine the reception staff don't even know that the cat flap is propped open so I'll explain that too.
: That I have had 2 kitties before and have had to give them much worse than antibiotic pills (think pink gunky medicine requiring a towel cat roly poly to administer)
: That I have a heated cat bed at home and they would be able to go to the toilet without having to go out in the cold.
: That this weekends weather is supposed to be very cold and I am concerned about them being warm enough to aid recovery.
: That the girl in the cattery suggested last week that if they need another week on meds, this was something we could do at home.
: Show them the name, address and phone number of the vet we plan to use for them and explain that we will either bring them back next friday to see their vet or take them to see our vet.

If they don't see sense after all that then I honestly give up with them and I'll just have to wait until next week, when no doubt we will be in the same situation again.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2008, 18:38:08 PM »
This is just completely ridiculous!  :tired:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2008, 18:26:23 PM »
This rescue is clearly run by people who are more concerned with their power over decisions than they are over the care and homing of their cats - These people do not begin to understand the meaning of reason - I would be soooooooooooo tempted to give them their ancestry - how sad that that would be at the cost of a potentially loving home for these two gorgeous kitties ........ >:(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2008, 18:18:33 PM »
The silly thing about all this is with the stress of bringing them home, they will probably end up with the sniffles again anyway  :tired:  I hope you can talk some sense into them, it seems pretty stupid they are delaying you taking them for another week  :sneaky:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2008, 18:16:28 PM »
Exactly what I thought. I re-listened to the message when I got home. The woman on the phone said 'I hope this doesn't inconvenience you too much and hopefully we can get them fixed for your soon'! They aren't broken! And surely its nothing to do with inconveniencing me, its about them.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2008, 17:33:25 PM »
Thats really dumb  :-:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 16:40:12 PM »
It just seems odd, because I'm sure they are happy to let cats with ongoing health problems go home with their meds.

It is definitely drafty, their outside cage is just wire straight to the outside and they have a flap into their very small indoor pen, but as I said the flap is propped half open because they don't understand how it works! Every time they want to use the litter tray they have to go outside. And to top it off, the weather is supposed to be really cold this weekend! Grr

I'm going to go and put my case accross tomorrow but I am 99% sure they will refuse because of 'procedure'.

Lesley - thanks for the offer, but the bed I bought them already has a variable heat pad in it, only the best eh!? lol

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 16:32:43 PM »
My babies are in it at the moment but I'm sure they could manage for an hour or so without it but as Bryony says, with her living so near, and the incubator being a bit of a large thing to maneouvre, it would probably take longer to move them than in a normal carrier.  I have plenty of snugglesafes you could put in a carrier, if that would be better, but anything I could do to help, I would be willing.

Unfortunately, I think it's just another case of them sticking to their rules with regard to medicating the babes and I doubt you will get them to change their mind - they do seem to be one of those places that think they know best in all scenarios, even if we can all see a different picture.

I also have an electric heated pad if you wanted that for their bed, it's one of the ones Ron kindly donated to me.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 16:31:21 PM »
I just thought it would show you are willing to jump through (more) oops to get them where they should be. I agree they would be betteroff in a warm home. Some of our cats that have been moved from pens to foster homes have thrived in a home environment. I bet it's cold and draughty there  >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 16:28:44 PM »
I could do, although I only live 10 mins from the rescue and they would be going straight back to a big heated cat bed!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 16:25:16 PM »
It's really cheeky of me to ask but I wonder if Lesleys incubator could be put to use. If Lesley didn't mind and you were willing, you could offer to pick them up in a heated carrier? - just an idea?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 16:05:44 PM »
Its not really the waiting that bothers me, I just want to get them out of that cage, Its still drafty even now they've put the flap back in the catflap because they don't understand what the flap is so the staff propped it half open or they wouldn't go out to use the toilet. I would think its as stressful being there as being with someone they recognise in the warm, even if it is strange territory. If they have been on the antibiotics for a week and aren't better, their surroundings are probably part of the problem.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 16:08:42 PM by Bryony84 »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Homecheck tonight - Any tips!?!?
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 15:58:13 PM »
Grrr - Angry now! Booked to pick the girls up at 10.15 Saturday at lunch time, OH got home from work and there was a message on the home phone saying they are not going to let us have them until next weekend because the vet wants to carry on their antibiotics for another week.

Why can't we just give them the meds!?

I guess they're thinking that the stress of the move to a new home might bring on further sniffles, but that could happen anyway and at some point they are gonna have to make that journey and get settled into their new environment and be in you care, so sooner rather than later will probably make no difference. I can understand your frustration, more waiting...  :hug:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
Re: Homecheck tonight - Any tips!?!?
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 15:35:04 PM »
Grrr - Angry now! Booked to pick the girls up at 10.15 Saturday at lunch time, OH got home from work and there was a message on the home phone saying they are not going to let us have them until next weekend because the vet wants to carry on their antibiotics for another week.

Why can't we just give them the meds!? They know I've had 2 cats before and I said last week that if they needed more meds, I'd be happy giving them and taking them back to either our vets or their vet for a checkup. I'm pretty angry about it because I'm almost certain that it was being in that drafty cage that gave them the colds in the first place! They would recover much better in their lovely warm heated bed at home!

Link to CatChat