Author Topic: Is all this really necessary?  (Read 25111 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Is all this really necessary?
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2008, 07:41:07 AM »
Aww, really glad things worked out for the best in the end
Please spay your cat

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2008, 18:17:27 PM »
Hurrah!!!!
 :cheer: :yesss: :attention: :happy dance:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2008, 18:13:50 PM »
Thanks Harna - All went really well and hoping to have them on Saturday as Friday is their last day on their meds and they will be getting checked over by the vet!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2008, 18:04:31 PM »
Hey Bryony,

By the time you have got this post I expect you should have been home checked! I bet it all went well  :hug: and hope that you can have the cats home with you by Friday so you can enjoy the long weekend together.  :Luv2:

Let us know!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2008, 16:03:09 PM »
Good luck  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2008, 15:40:20 PM »
Just called her, she seems lovely and she's coming over later this afternoon so I've arranged to leave work a little early!! I'm a bit concerned that I may not have given her great directions of how to get to my house - I'm awful at it at the best of times but hopefully she'll be able to find it! I'm starting to panic a bit now, but I've got my OH on the case making sure theres no mess in the house - he came home at lunchtime and its amazing how much mess he can make doing his lunch!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2008, 15:30:24 PM »
Excellent news   :wow: :wow: :wow:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2008, 15:28:18 PM »
I guess the post was uncharacteristicly good this week because I just got the homecheck call, well there was an answerphone message when my OH got home so he called me and gave me the number!!! Its a lady called Sue so I'm going to give her a call!!!

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2008, 14:51:27 PM »
Just got back from seeing the girls today, their colds seem to have cleared up, only had one or 2 sneezles so that good. Everyone seems to recognise me now and the girls in the cattery know which cats are mine! A few purrs and heatbutts later (nose to nose - so cute!) and it was nearly time to go, but not til I'd shown them their first toy from me - a laser pointer - they loved it!

I spoke to the reception lady on the way out and she said that my homecheck was POSTED out on Monday 17th, then muttered something about Easter post, so I guess unless it arrives wherever its going today or tomorrow morning, theres no chance of me hearing anything until at least next tuesday so I'm not a happy bunny, this is why I would have liked the home check put through while I was getting the neighbours permission!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2008, 12:53:15 PM »
Last time I went, I was sitting on the floor in the outdoor part of their cage, in my work trousers with one of them on my knee and half on my front and the other sitting on my knees, which must have been very uncomfy!
:rofl: :rofl: Been there done that! One of Memphis' litter would always sit on the back of my neck and fall asleep!

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2008, 12:51:01 PM »
Last time I went, I was sitting on the floor in the outdoor part of their cage, in my work trousers with one of them on my knee and half on my front and the other sitting on my knees, which must have been very uncomfy!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »
I suppose it depends on the people, I get excited every time I can go and see them and I always want to stay longer than I'm able to!!
Same as me  :wow:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2008, 12:44:12 PM »
I suppose it depends on the people, I get excited every time I can go and see them and I always want to stay longer than I'm able to!!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:53 PM »
When I volunteered/worked in a rescue that was pretty common. People came in once to see the animals/put in a reserve then then next time they came in to see the cat was when they were picking it up.

Dogs they had to meet them several times, so very different.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2008, 12:30:16 PM »
Aw, thats such a sweet story! Glad your got your baby home!

I think they must have noticed how much I go there because the people on reception recognise me when I go through and the cattery girl commented last time I visited saying that they are going to know me really well by the time I can actually have them. I guess maybe some people don't visit their reserved cats as much, most of the cats there at the moment have reserved signs, yet every time I go in during the week, I am the only visitor in the cattery!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2008, 12:24:47 PM »
I had unofficially reserved mine (for about 6/7 weeks or so). DDay came where I could finally reserve him when I went in I was told he had been promised to someone else, so I couldn't have him. My heart sank and I was truly devastated. I had developed such a love for my baby boy. They saw JUST how much I loved and wanted him (yeah there was a ton of tears  :-[ ) ... I walked out of there a couple of hours later with him, and he's been here ever since  :Luv:

It's obvious you want these kitties ... they've got no reason to keep dragging it on.

:hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:26:00 PM by Den »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2008, 12:16:09 PM »
Maybe I'm just being overdramatic.

You're are in a frustrating situation. I've got the T Shirt and remember how very upsetting the wait was. At least they have each other for company and you've got a bit of heaven to look forward to when you bring them home.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
Rosella, whenever I go to see the cats, they are curled up in their basket staring through the perspex, as soon as you come up to the pen they are climbing up the plastic trying to get out, once you open it they come flying out either onto the floor or onto my shoulder! I can only see them for 20-30mins during weekday visits as opening hours are short and through when I work, so I have to go in my lunch break and it is a 1/2 hr drive in total. When I go in at weekends, I am usually there around an hour/hour and a half so thats a bit better. When I leave I have to try and get both back into the pen and as I walk away I can hear them crying, that is the worst bit as it must be hard for them to understand. Hopefully they realise because I keep coming back that I am not leaving them like their last owner did. They are certainly not ill treated and now that their cat flap thing is fixed they are warmer than they were, but their warm indoor pen is very small and I have never really seen them in the outdoor area except to use their litter tray. Maybe I'm just being overdramatic.

Lesley - I can see how that could have happened to be honest, I have seen the van entry/exit gates left open several times since I've been going there and although the pen door is normally locked, the big door into the outdoor section always seems to be open.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
Hehe, jailbreak!  :sneaky:

Wouldn't be hard, theres rarely anyone in the cattery during the week and they always seem to leave the door unlocked! But I'm not like that, Plus I think I'd be pretty obvious walking back through reception with all the meowing and wriggling!

Funny you should say that, there was a report on the telly not so long ago about a dog that was stolen from there. :-:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2008, 10:36:57 AM »
... but it is the thought of them stuck in a little cage for weeks on end that upsets me more than anything.

I really sympathise Bryony and now know NEVER to chose a cat in future before homecheck has been carried out.  One of the many things I've learnt from this site.

Now being devil's advocate for a minute, put yourself in the furries' shoes. I don't think they will see it as imprisonment  ;D. They have each other so they have company.  Do they really look upset?  Are they being fed and kept warm?  Do they have a lovely lady coming to visit every day offering cuddles and who is very likely to give them a future home with toys and stuff?  Everything will be fine.  

My OH was livid but mainly coz he could see how upset I was with the wait as he wouldn't visit Freddie until the homecheck had been arranged (when he did go and visit 1st time on his own, he picked up the wrong cat!).  It will all be worth it in the end.  Give them a  :hug: from me.  

There will be plenty of time to discuss homecheck delays with this rescue when your homecheck is over.  You will sail through. Like Gill I had just lost Aslan and was in a state and home checker was lovely and very understanding. Stangely both Tom and Billy Whiz came in to see her and behaved well; not like them at all ;)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2008, 10:32:05 AM »
It does all sound a little OTT and I have to admit even I feel that with your particular situation and involvement with the cats to date they could have tried to speed up the process a little, but then you never know how short staffed they are.  :-:

Looking at it from the rescue's point of view, despite the fact that I feel they are being a little too officious, from what you say they do genuinely care for the cats they have in their care.  Most likely they are trying to do the best for the cats to ensure a perfect and permanent home but what may have started as a couple of procedures has turned into a bit of a circus for potential adoptees. :shocked:

I'm so pleased that you are sticking with it for the cats sake and as the others have said speak to them about volunteering.  Once you get a foot in the door tell them how you felt as an adoptee (when you get the opportunity and at the right time! lol) and you never know you may be able to help them 'tweak' some of their current policies or at least shed some light on the effect of their overly strict procedures.

still keeping all fingers, toes and paws crossed though that you get your little ones home with you soon.    ;)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2008, 09:26:07 AM »
I'm not criticising everything they do, and I don't have a problem with a blanket procedure as such, it just seems that they way things have been done are not in the cats best interest at all. If they had put through the homecheck when I was first asked to get my neighbours permission a week ago, I would have heard from the homechecker within a week, as I have been told this time, homecheck would hopefully have been done maybe today or tomorrow and I would have been able to take the cats this weekend assuming everyone was satisfactory for them.

As it is, the likelyhood of having them this weekend is getting less and less and they will be stuck in a cage for another week needlessly, if , god forbid, they refuse me, that adds another week on to the total time of their inprisonment and then probably another 3 weeks while another potential home gets vetted in the same way.

I know these rescues are doing a wonderful thing, it just seems that the way they do things could be done a lot better for the animals involved, I'd be perfectly happy waiting however long it took to home my cats, but it is the thought of them stuck in a little cage for weeks on end that upsets me more than anything.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2008, 08:16:11 AM »
Please watch how you describe this rescue, while they do seem to have odd views, if they weren't there, where would these cats be? Also bear in mind we dont know their reasons behind things - the rescue Kelly mentioned have certain policies due to the amount of animals brought back, so they brought in blanket policies. Whilst I dislike blanket policies, it was done with the animal's in mind.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2008, 22:11:30 PM »
Hehe, jailbreak!  :sneaky:

Wouldn't be hard, theres rarely anyone in the cattery during the week and they always seem to leave the door unlocked! But I'm not like that, Plus I think I'd be pretty obvious walking back through reception with all the meowing and wriggling!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2008, 21:48:29 PM »
Bryony

Who knows how these  :censored: idiot's minds work!  :tired: But rest assured, if they do say no I think you've already proved yourself a devoted Meowmy and i'm sure Leslie will sort you with a prefect pair of fluffballs. I cannot tell you how seething I am that they're prepared to put such an obviously dedicated person though this.  >:(

I am one step away from organising a Purrs jail-break to spring those kitties out of there for you!  :sneaky:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2008, 21:32:37 PM »
I think its a bit odd to ask your vet, what do they do with people who havn't had a cat? I could give my rescue our vets number but its the one I used when I lived at home with Lucy (now at the bridge) and Casper, and not the one I will be taking the girls to if I get them.

Still heard nothing about the homecheck so I think its very improbable that I will have them by the weekend, at least they aren't shutting over the holiday so I can still go see them every day! I'm kindof prepared for the sorts of things they might ask me and they should be able to see that we are already getting ready for our new arrivals by all the cat stuff in our spare room, but I have never had one before and so I'm pretty worried about it as I know I'll be really upset if they say no after all this and my OH will probably get angry about it.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2008, 20:59:17 PM »
Well, maybe I should clarify; I was adopting from outside my area and gave them my vet's number so that they could confirm that my current cat is in good health and has been vaccinated. I gave them permission to call them to find out these facts.

However, (and this is where I am pleased that I am able to read upside-down  :sneaky:) I wasn't aware that it was ME being checked out, not just the cat! Luckily, I have a fantastic relationship with an excellent vet (same one for 15 years - I think I've paid in entirety that flashy car he drives  :tired:) who I actually saw yesterday and he says he can't wait to meet the newbies. . . . .so it doesn't matter too much.

As I have absolutely nothing to hide, I don't mind so much. But the fact that they seem to have SUSPECTED that I was hiding something makes me a little  >:(

Still, I have the lads home now and that's all that matters. I can say  :P to all the hassle and see that it's been worth it!

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2008, 20:46:17 PM »
that's what I thought.  I had to clench my lips tight shut as I was that tempted to say something about being ignorant and that the kitten was obviously far too young (it did really look like 5 weeks) and should be with the mother.  But I had my little boy with me and I am not one to make scenes at all.  I was appalled though.

Yes, have read so many cat books by now and am addicted to the animal rescue programmes on Animal Planet (it gets that bad these days...).  Still learning more though. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2008, 20:40:02 PM »
Nooo not just bookworm you.  ;D

I had a stray who decided she loved me and I read everything I could about cats as knew not the first thing about them but suspect she is not the only one who doesnt bother.

The good thing is that she was at the vets so learning process started. As for the one who gave her the kitten, this is best left undspoken about!

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2008, 20:36:30 PM »
This is getting scarier by the minute.  I mean my vet would not see a problem in, I am sure but the fact that such a process even exists is scary.  No wonder people wait for the kitten season and take all those 'thrown away' unwanted litters privately rather than through the rescue process.  But then it maybe like the conversation I overheard at a vets.  A woman had been given a five weeks (!!!!!) old kitten by her boyfriend and she sounded like she knew nothing about cats, especially not the weening age etc.  I mean i am not saying that she will be a bad owner but I would expect someone to find out about kitten care first before taking one on.  or maybe that's just bookworm me doing that.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2008, 20:26:59 PM »
Definately they should not have done this unless you have given permission and you would also have to give the vets permission to give out information.

sooooooooooooo pleased you have them  ;D ;D ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2008, 20:24:05 PM »
intrusive without prior permission from you, and also possibly a breach of privacy ...  >:(

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2008, 20:23:19 PM »
I picked up my two newbies today! When I got there, I was told that they had telephoned my vet for a character reference! Is this usual!?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2008, 19:37:32 PM »
Have to say I was dreading a home check from Cp but I wasnt asked anything embarrassing at all and it was just a chat. Ok I know I emailed them with lots of info and they knew Kocka had only gone to the Bridge the day before.

I guess it helped that homechecker had also recently lost a muched loved cat and she knew exactly how I was feeling.

I do hope you get the gingers and soon  :hug:

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2008, 19:27:36 PM »
As I said it did not even cross my mind to try them because I heard another story from a colleague.   It would be outrageous if you wont get the cats after all that.  Have you had a home check before?  I would recommend you are ready for all eventual awkward questions.  That's what upset the person I know.  And don't tell me it is a place where animals are put to sleep if they are there too long...can';t bear the thought.  At least where I am going the cats have a lifelong attachement to the place and never get pts if healthy.  Makes the adoption less biased too although I would like an older cat anyway- but without the guilt factor.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
CC, I'd agree with your policies there, some flexibility depending on situation and none of the jumping through hoops that I've had to do! I don't suppose it is too hard to spot a genuine cat lover offering a loving home without having to examine every aspect of their lives!

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »
I dont mind emailing out the HC manual i have done.. It took me ages.. But please bare in mind it was written with our branch in mind and some of its contents dont necessarily cover all rescues, and also we have some flexiability in our policies. I try not to make it that people have to jump through hoops to get a rescue cat .. So some of my views are not necessarily what everybody else thinks or does.. So if your okay with that then i dont mind at all.

It would be really useful to have a copy - as I say, it's one of those things I hate doing and it would be nice to see someone else's slant on it.  Thank you.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »
I dont mind emailing out the HC manual i have done.. It took me ages.. But please bare in mind it was written with our branch in mind and some of its contents dont necessarily cover all rescues, and also we have some flexiability in our policies. I try not to make it that people have to jump through hoops to get a rescue cat .. So some of my views are not necessarily what everybody else thinks or does.. So if your okay with that then i dont mind at all.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
So long as CC doesn't mind then I wil do! I'm quite happy to help you out with your babies, I imagine its even harder to home check when you run your own rescue from home!

And Dawn, this has certainly not put me off rescues, if I hadn't considered rescuing, I would never have found this site, and it is the people on here who have really made me want to make a difference if I can.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2008, 11:38:26 AM »
Even so, I would still like to help out with a rescue, albeit one who appears to care more about the welfare of the animals waiting for their new homes. If anyone needs a Whiteley area checker - give me a shout.

I may well take you up on that offer Bryony - and could you e-mail me a copy of the HC manual when you get it, it's always nice to know what others do - it's one of those things I hate doing, even though it is for the benefit of my babies.

Link to CatChat