Author Topic: teeth  (Read 2716 times)

Offline snowdragon

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Bearbear
Re: teeth
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »
Wow Sue you really got me and hubby looking at pics of Maine coon and Norwegian cats . To be truthful we can't tell them apart as he has so many  things the same as them. Tufts on the tips of  his ears....striped tail (which he curls round your arm) dark stripe down the middle of his back....long mane which he is always getting in his mouth lol...almond eyes....... and the long claws and he is good at climbing (too good sometimes ) and forever having to cut his  back leg feathers as they get too long round his bum. So yes i think you could be right

I first heard of him when i was in  a village post office and they were talking about this  kitten who someone was feeding,then one of my friends rescued him and for some reason that day I went to see her and instantly fell in love and said I have to have him,she thought as I had just left my husband and I was in a flat i wouldn;t be able to afford keeping him(little did she know my pets come first) to cut the story short i got him,now people thought he was about 3 months old in fact after the vet checked him they said he was about 7 to 8 months old.Another thing he never stopped purring even at the vets so I was told.So that is the early history of Bear (we were meant to be together lol).

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:35:40 AM »

Oh that's great news snowdragon.   He'll be feeling much happier now, bless him.  He sounds lovely - does he have some Maine Coon, or Norwegian Forest Cat in him, do you think?  Am thinking about his mane, and long fur coat.   :Luv:

yes, cats are a revelation aren't they, for people who take time to watch and learn about them thrugh direct contact.  There are a few of us here who had been "dog" people or even just "not cat people" who had our views changed after sharing our lives with a cat companion.  I wouldn't be without them now.  They're especially a Godsend when you can't get about through illness.  They seem to know their companionship is highly valued.  :hug: :hug:

Cats tend to gravitate to healing too, and respond well.  They like hanging about healing rooms too.   ;) :evillaugh:  Any cosy spot with a bit of a good vibe going on, in fact.  :hug:

So pleased you helped Bear feel more himself again.  Hope you can now relax and enjoy finding your way around the forum. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:07:59 AM »
So pleased you found the reason  ;D ;D

I dont ceawl until fat later than that  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline snowdragon

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 00:23:56 AM »
Hi......Thank you for your reply,we found out the problem, as he is long coated he had got a bit of his mane trapped in his mouth(such a small bit) so after me getting completly stressed hubby opened his mouth and we saw it at the side of course i cut the mane shorter.he was so sweet using his paws trying to help himself but wouldn't let us near him at first.After we got it out he was fine. he hasn't had any problems up till today but me I stress so easy over my Baby. he a good few teeth out about 5 years ago so now he has 1 back tooth,4 fangs and most of his smaller teeth(new name for him gummybear lol) He had 3 out nearly 2 weeks ago and one root which was left but the vet who i used to have come round the house.She was asking to much to take these teeth out so went to my local vet who was £160 cheaper and excellent service.The nurse got rid of any knots ,clipped his nails and made him gorgeous also.

Bear is 12 in august,he is an indoor cat and  after being a doggie person for years(had cats also) I never realised how intellegent they were.bear is always talking to us.loves waking me early in the morning (I am very ill and disabled so don't normally get up till 9 as I take a lot of medication) )7 this morning he tried to get me up,finally crawled out at 8.20.His man slave normally feeds him at 9.I was really ill on boxing day for 5 days he stayed in the bedroom with me all the time. I am a healer and he loves when i give him healing. This little cat is my life I love him so much. If i think anything is wrong i will take him back to to be checked but he has been fine since then .Thank you margo

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 15:28:50 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Sue is right and a vet visit is needed.

Sasa had most of teeth out 6 months ago and no problems there either.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »

Hello snowdragon

Welcome to Purrs.    :welcome: :welcome:

Can you tell us a little about your cat>  Is he elderly, and does he have any other health difficulties?  Has this just started since the check up, or was it noticeable before then?

It can be notoriously difficult to get a good look in a cat's mouth to check, and much depends on the cat's willingness to be handled, so it may not be immediately obvious if you take a look yourself as to what's causing the problem.

When Paddy had his teeth out at 15, he had no post surgery difficulty, thank goodness, but if this is something that is happening each time he eats it's best to take him back for a further check up just to make sure everything's settling down with his gums as they should.  It does sound like something is making him feel uncomfortable, and your vet should be happy to take another look to make sure all is good.

Cats mouths are not the cleanest of environments, so prudent to make sure there's nothing causing a pocket where food can get trapped and set up an infection.

What is your cat's name?  We'd like to say a big "Welcome to the forum" just for him.   

Offline snowdragon

• Kitten
teeth
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »
Hi...Thank you for allowing me on your Forum.My cat had most of his teeth out a week and 4 days ago,everything went fine and he had his check up last week,but today he seems to keep getting food trapped in a cavity and paws his mouth on that site till it clears.Please do \I need to worry or will this right itself eventually?

Link to CatChat