Author Topic: Best digital SLR for cat photos?  (Read 5191 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Best digital SLR for cat photos?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 22:06:38 PM »
I'm definitely going to get a new camera this week. I got a bit teary tonight as Swampy has been very old today and missed his tray twice (just spent 1/2 hour mopping floors etc etc) and remembering that less than a year ago he was well enough to go down to SW France in our little car - no way would that be possible now. His adventure now is to walk down - or bunny hop down in his new oldie way, poor wee boy - a flight of stairs to the next level and sniff at the garden ornament my neighbour keeps out there (no idea why but it's a sort of lizard thing and entertains my 2!). I'm dreading winter and the way it makes him with his cold. I just took some more photos of him with my existing point and shoot 5MP camera. The ones with flash have him with ET eyes  >:( and the ones without flash are too dark. The zoom ones are blurry too.  I think I'll go into Jessops for advice or can someone recommend anywhere else?
I emailed the photographer who took some pics of them a year ago, which are lovely but out of date for Swampy, less so for Max, but he's not replied. Photos you take yourself are even more special I think.

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »
Yes, the lens is a Canon one and David has no experience of using non-Canon lenses on the Canon body.

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
lots to look into! Swampy presents the same challenge as Mitzi - dark coloured, single colour cats taken indoors...tricky. I'm now thinking get the best lens I can afford. Is David's lens (the Mitzi pics) a Canon or generic and does it make a difference?
My point and shoot is now failing to take proper close ups. It focuses all over the place and does need replacing.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »
I've recommended Gimp before very similar to Photoshop

and some fun done with photoshop
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 08:02:26 AM »
A friend of mine is a keen amateur photographer and he has an EOS 350D.  He didn't buy it for cat photography, but we've managed to take some pretty decent photots of Mosi with it (bearing in mind he's more used to photographing landscapes than kittens doing the wall of death and I'm a crap photographer at the best of times!)

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 20:39:15 PM »
Confession time, Mitzi, the black cat is very, very hard to photograph. Essentially the auto focus sometimes forcuses on other things rather than my black cat. However, if you focus manually you can get some great shots. Certainly better on David's Canon EOS 400 plus 17-85 mm lens than on my FinePix A600. Of course the price is very, very different.

Here are some pictures of Mitzi taken with the SLR. I have not processed them for colour balance, just cropped and downsized for the web.

However, the 'motordrive' photos I took on the auto focus were disappointing. Next time I will get David to be the photographer!

Indoors is worse, I am afraid. You have to adjust the digital image to see the detail on Mitzi. I use Paint Shop Pro but David uses Picasso. David also uses a freeware programme called The GIMP version 2.?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:11:50 AM by moiramassey »

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 17:01:07 PM »
woo Moria kitty gymnastics  :wow:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 16:51:06 PM »
Yes my avatar pic was taken on the canon EOS 400D.

The lens it comes with is ok.

You can always upgrade to another lens as you see fit.

I have a telephoto lens also and am getting a macro lens soon.

[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 15:38:40 PM »
thanks, that would be great. Your pics are hilarious and cheered me up after reading Andrew's sad post.  I'm interested in any lens or camera that takes great photos of your other cat (the black one having a look at the mad da Bird chaser!) as my Swampy is quite dark - although not as dark as before when he was younger as burmese go lighter and greyer as they age - but he has dark brown contrast which makes good photos tricky. Also what's the quality like inside as that's realistically where I take an awful lot of photos.
Max on the other hand is a dream to photograph.
I think we will have a look on saturday so any info before then is most welcome. Thanks everyone.

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 13:53:15 PM »
My husband has a Canon EOS ditigial SLR with two different lens. It has a 'sport mode' which is the digital equivalent of a mutlishot. He took these action chots using it. If you are thinking that they are not high quality remember that (a) I cropped them from a much larger image and (b) they have been resized so they can be put on the web.

Thinking about it, I think these were taken with the second lens he got. I could find out whcih one for you?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 13:54:41 PM by moiramassey »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
Did you take that photo with it Philip? How?? They are sitting with bright sun coming through the glass right behind them, yet it came out perfectly..purrfectly :-)

I've read that the Canon EOS come with a lens that isn't so good; then others say that's not really true (?). I realise with the Canons the lens is up to 55mm so for long shots may have to get another lens too in due course, unless someone in the sales will do a package. I've had a point and shoot for so long now, can't remember all of that. But if I have to buy a lens too, sends up the cost quite a bit.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 23:06:55 PM »
I use a canon EOS 400D and I love it.

Fantastic digital SLR.

[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
  • george tink jap connie riley morgan josh perkins
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 21:43:04 PM »
I've got a canon 20D which is excellent but i used a 350D for years which was also good

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 19:20:35 PM »
I think I know a better place to get a memeory card than amazon LOL......try here

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=6&type=6020&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 17:49:55 PM »
I don't only take pics of cats, honest  :shify:  ;)

When I was younger and had a little cheapo camera for snapping away on holidays and Christmas etc, I still remember every time I got the pictures back my Dad moaning that half the film was taken up with cat pictures  :rofl:!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 20:35:55 PM by em1209 »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 16:23:11 PM »
I would recommend getting a memory card of Amazon as they are really cheap on there. On a Canon review, it said they don't even have a basic card in the box to get you started. One of the reviews recommended buying a fast memory card. I know that did apply to flash cards but not sure if there are different speed mediacards? -if so, it mean they write quicker so the camera is ready for the next shot quicker (I think  :evillaugh: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 16:06:05 PM »
ooh lots of replies! Still waiting on that Sony model, but think I read somewhere that Sonys don't use SD cards (?). The Canon sounds good if I can find it at the right price. I have the same problem as Fergus's mum as Swampy is shades of brown. With Max being largely white, that's a challenge for any camera! The photographer from the local college who photographed them before was mighty keen to get the boys outside for his snaps :-)  I'm also a "refuse to read the manual" person  :evillaugh:
I don't only take pics of cats, honest  :shify:  ;)
Does the Canon do b & w too?  I can sniff the smell of burning credit card already  :Crazy: But if I just have the photos of my lads that I have now, I think I'd regret not having better photos.

PS Amazon has got the Sony A200 (I think - certainly 200) 10MP with 18 - 70mm lens for £280 with a 4 gig memory card; about same price (sub £300) as the Canon EOS which is 6 MP. I guess I would choose the best one in low light or contrast (see above for why!). I generally prefer Canon to Sony but am mighty tempted. Anyone got the Sony?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 16:21:29 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 14:55:26 PM »
\I would love one od em SLRS and Cannons instructions are very detailed usually too.

I have a Cannon digi at moment but would love to get better quality pics.............needs to have anti-shake protection too  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 14:04:15 PM »
 :Crazy:

Not for cat snaps  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 14:01:43 PM »
Just googled it and it's around £400  - that's a budget model?  :Crazy:

google a nikon D3 or Canon 1D mark III

oh then start pricing glass then it gets good :rofl: but glass lasts a long time though
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 14:02:43 PM by hOrZa »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 13:59:07 PM »
Just googled it and it's around £400  - that's a budget model?  :Crazy:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 13:43:39 PM »
I've got a Canon EOS 300D, think there is a 400D out now though. It's really comfy to hold and really clear and easy to use (which settings etc).

I do find it hard taking piccies of Fergus though as he's black, but I think that's just him  :P rather than the camera!!

there is a 450D out now and a cheaper budget versoin called the 1000D out or coming out about now

I'm a bit of a bloke when it comes to technical things and refuse to read the manual  :evillaugh:

Hey :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 13:45:05 PM by hOrZa »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 13:42:43 PM »
I'd like to know as well. Whatever Helen (Tiggysmum) has will do me  :)

Mine is a Canon EOS 350D, it couldn't be simpler to use.  I have it on automatic setting the majority of the time which is literally 'point and shoot', you zoom in by twisting the lens round and then it automatically focuses it.  The only time I change the setting is for a super close up and then you literally move a dial round to the 'close up' setting and then point and shoot.  You don't have to use it in auto mode and i'm sure it's capable of so much more but I'm a bit of a bloke when it comes to technical things and refuse to read the manual  :evillaugh:

It came with a software CD for the computer but I didn't bother with it, to get pics onto the computer you literally plug the USB cable in the side of the camera (my PC finds the drivers automatically) and the pics are transferred.

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 13:12:17 PM »
I've got a Canon EOS 300D, think there is a 400D out now though. It's really comfy to hold and really clear and easy to use (which settings etc).

I do find it hard taking piccies of Fergus though as he's black, but I think that's just him  :P rather than the camera!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 13:07:43 PM »
I should add - as long as it's easy to use. I want a point and shoot that takes brilliant photos  :evillaugh:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 13:06:25 PM »
Nikon D3

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 13:02:45 PM »
I'd like to know as well. Whatever Helen (Tiggysmum) has will do me  :)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:53:34 PM »
I really want an SLR.

As a result I always read the recommendations of people on the collie sites I read. The popular cameras for taking pictures of animals seem to be the Nikon D40 and Nikon D60. The Canon EOS is also very popular (although I can't remember the exact model).

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Best digital SLR for cat photos?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »
My birthday's coming up quite soon (1 - 2- 3 AAAAAAAH NO!!) but the upside is that I am allowed to burn the credit card and get myself an SLR in the so-called sales to take some decent photos of the park, the trees, the buildings, the puddytats.  I remember being told somewhere on the forum by Team Svartelheim (sp?? sorry!) who has wonderful photos of her furbabes about a Sony SLR but I can't find the thread or where I wrote it down. Right now I use a Canon point and shoot powershot S21S 5MPs which is great outside but not so clever inside and useless on close ups. Its best function is actually its video and video stereo sound! My 2 lads spend 99% of their time inside and as they are old now, I want to take some great photos of them inside, to keep forever. A lot of the photos I take of them with their eyes open have that 'shiny eye' syndrome like they are extra-terrestrials - imo it's worse than red eye as can't be as easily edited.

I'm keen to get a camera that's easy to use, not too big or heavy, the software is both PC and mac compatible (most are I think) and uses SD cards preferably. Also not too heavy and with the best possible lens that comes with the camera ie for close ups through to reasonable distance (obviously ultra zoom shots would need another lens). I thought I'd go to John Lewis and have a look but has anyone got any recommendations?

I thought of getting a 10MP point and shoot again, but think an SLR would be just that much better? Thanks for any help with this  ;D

Link to CatChat