Author Topic: To what extent to cats have an imagination?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
Re: To what extent to cats have an imagination?
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »
Cosmic post lol   :naughty:

I think building a little cat fort is a lovely thing to do for your wee moggy. My Izzy isn't the slightest bit interested in boxes.

:)

Catbird

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 08:01:20 AM »
This morning, before I left for work, Dot and I played the Evil Hand Game.  This involves me "spidering" my hand towards her and then Dot grabbing the hand with both front paws and slashing it with her back paws.  The great thing is that she does this with NO CLAWS  :wow:, so even imagining the Evil Hand she knows it's just a game and not to hurt Fat Hooman.  I hid more treats in her cardboard Village of the Damned before I left for work and she was happily terrifying the non-existent when I went out the door.   :Luv2:

I'd love to see inside her head sometimes, I really would.

C.

Offline soudicca

• Adult Cat
  • Jake's mum
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 23:51:55 PM »
Jake, my big black boy, certainly shows self awareness.  He likes to admire himself in the mirror or any reflective surface.  I tried sneaking up on him but he watched me the whole time... in the mirror, eventually right at the last minute looking over his shoulder straight at me and giving me 'the look'.
Black cats rule
RIP Suki, Cleo, Jade & Sam

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 22:16:29 PM »
........... Hope they are well and not too lost and lonely ...

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 21:21:23 PM »
Smidgen is a highly intelligent, but not terribly academic cat. He will play with his own tail for hours on end. And will suddenly leap to attention and attack a seemingly innocent pattern on the carpet. Esther, on the other hand, focusses all her play behaviours on 'people' (two legged or four) and on objects. She has had me runing downstairs in the dead of night in response to her more vigourous games with the catnip bag. But with her, it is clear that she knows that what she is playing with is what it is. Not something imaginary. With Smidgen, well who knows what goes on inside that head of his. The nicest times are when his games involve smooching up to Shadow ... :Luv2: Hope they are well and not too lost and lonely ...

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 21:14:58 PM »
When I see my guys chasing nothing or on a perfectly clean mark free floor going for something that isn't there I have to wonder if thats pure imagination.

It's good to know it's not just my cat - I just thought he was a bit loopy  ;D
He's not that good at problem solving either - I think it's cause he was in a 'rescue centre' for 4 years, so didn't have to think much.
I would think they must have imaginations, cause of the dreaming - they are imagining situations.... (?)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 17:13:17 PM »
...........................cats are great puzzle-solvers... :Luv2:

My first cats certainly were.   I once arrived home with a bag of shopping just as the phone was ringing so I dumped the bag on the kitchen floor and went to answer it.  When I returned, Ginger had fished a tub of cream out of the bag, made holes in the lid and was rolling it up and down the kitchen floor, licking up all the cream that spilled out of the holes. Puzzle-solving definitely but whether it was imagination or greed I wouldn't like to say.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 17:12:03 PM »
Here's something that may interest you, Catbird (and others too):

http://www.grandin.com/references/animal.consciousness.html
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Dark Moon

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 15:44:40 PM »
This is a discussion I used to have with my Dad years and years (o.k. - decades) ago....

He maintained that animals (cats included) have no sense of self-awareness. Bosh! One cannot feel and exhibit jealousy without feeling threatened, and to feel threatened one has to have a sense of the self being threatened. And - just watch as you give one food or a catnip toy or some such and see if they don't feel jealous!

I do not believe they think as we do. Hope not, anyway! But they do have a sense of self awareness. And they do think. And they are creative - hence exhibiting imagination - in their own ways and with what is important to them.

We judge too much by our own limited understanding. Something that might be terribly innovative in the cat world might pass us by unnoticed because it simply isn't 'important' enough. To us.

They've managed to survive and thrive without us - and (likely even harder!) with us - for eons. That in itself shows imagination!

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 13:44:17 PM »
I think that there must be some imagination in them - to what extent we'll likely never know unless we're reincarnated as cats (or happen to meet a talking one who can tell us).

Catbird

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »
I think that they must have imagination to play hunt, without imagination of some kind then you could not convince them that an empty toilet roll is *actually* a mouse or rabbit  :rofl:

Also hunters need an imagination to work out which way prey will leap etc

Or they could just be prepared to chase the empty toilet roll just because it moves, in the absence of real livestock.

Catbird

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
Or maybe the game she is playing is 'watch mummy act the fool' :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Could very well be.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
I think that they must have imagination to play hunt, without imagination of some kind then you could not convince them that an empty toilet roll is *actually* a mouse or rabbit  :rofl:

Also hunters need an imagination to work out which way prey will leap etc

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:37:02 PM »
I think cats have a vivid imagination! Well going from what I've seen with my indoor pud Capone!! He will suddenly set off, charge around, stop, look left, look right (ears glued to his head!) then charge off again as if he's seen a ghost.

I think it's his way of starting his own playtime!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »
Or maybe the game she is playing is 'watch mummy act the fool' :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Catbird

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
Puzzle solving requires imagination and cats are great puzzle-solvers... :Luv2:

Strangely though, Dot is not good at puzzles.  I put her favourite cat treats in an eggbox and she's totally lost, no matter how many times I show her the treats and how the eggbox works!  I think she just likes running around visiting furry death on her (imaginary) unfortunate little empire!

C.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
That's a very big question that you ask, Catbird, as it links to the questions of consciousness and self-awareness - one of the most interesting areas of science, for my money.

I'm not answering, you'll note  :evillaugh:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
haha definatley have a good use of imagination - Mine seem to imagine they own the place and that food ect comes from thin air!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »
Definitely lots of imagination going on with cats when you watch them, especially at play
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:38:12 AM »
When I see my guys chasing nothing or on a perfectly clean mark free floor going for something that isn't there I have to wonder if thats pure imagination.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:36:09 AM »
It's kind of hard to work out where imagination ends and instinct kicks in. But having seen my lot play some quite inventive games from time to time, I have to assume they have an imagination. Puzzle solving requires imagination and cats are great puzzle-solvers... :Luv2:

Catbird

To what extent to cats have an imagination?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »
Yesterday afternoon I set up Dot's little empire of cardboard boxes, tubes and crinkle tunnel.  She hasn't played with this for a while, as it takes ages to set up and takes over the whole of my 18' X 12' living room.  However, since the living room is pretty much Dot's exclusively (I live in the study and my bedroom) away she goes  :wow:

Now, she's been having terrific fun diving in and out of tubes, boxes etc.  I hid treats within all this and added large, thick pieces of crinkled up brown paper but even after the treats had been found and devoured, she played on.  This is where the question comes in: she seems to be playing an organised, imaginative game.  I am almost convinced that she is imagining herself to be some huge frightening creature ("is CATZILLA, stoopid Fat Hooman!" - Dot) terrorizing a community of small victims.

So... do cats have the intellect to play imaginative games?  They can obviously dream in an active way, does this suggest that they can use their imaginations, or am I just being daft?  I hid more treats within Dot's "victim community" before I went to work this morning and unless her morning nap has overtaken her, I guess she is still munching and terrorizing  :Luv2:

C. 

Link to CatChat