Author Topic: I'm all nervous - ferals  (Read 17438 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: I'm all nervous - ferals
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2007, 13:19:19 PM »
I suppose I'm a mug, Ruth.  :shy:  :evillaugh:

She wrote to me today - full of apologies. Her Grandma's funeral was yesterday....  :-:

I'm still battling to get them more confident. They get scared about the room outside their kitten pen and will only come to the door if I tempt them with a feather. I'm going to have to get tough and make them eat outside the pen, I think...  :tired: Either way, they're still a week or so off being ready, so I can afford to give this woman a wee while to get her act together - she's waiting for her BF to get back off hols before making a final decision.  :innocent:

I'll see if I can get some more pics later today.  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2007, 13:08:42 PM »
What a kind person you are PB to give the benifit of doubt.....sorry but iv of been banging your door down to get them kits  >:(

Well better to find out now i suppose  ;)

I know it wont be long for these babes to be in their forever home......and with you a bit extra  :Luv: ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2007, 11:11:17 AM »
I hate it when people do that!! she obviously wasn't the right person for them though
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2007, 11:08:16 AM »
Well....  :innocent:

She didn't come. I think she may have forgotten.  :shify: I emailed her and no response yet. She also wasn't answering the phone. Not very efficient or thoughtful as I altered my Bank Holiday plans to suit her.  :tired:

Maybe Apache and Squaw might be up for grabs after all....  :)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2007, 17:41:11 PM »
What they need with all that land is 2 tabbys in the house and some real ferals outside  :evillaugh:
:rofl: :rofl:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2007, 17:19:33 PM »
What they need with all that land is 2 tabbys in the house and some real ferals outside  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2007, 07:59:52 AM »
Fingers crossed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2007, 23:23:26 PM »
Maybe you have a poltergeist  :Crazy:  :evillaugh:

Im glad that you have decided to let these babes have a home life.....i guess with 3 acres also they will have the best of both worlds  :Luv: :Luv:

Deep down i think the prospective new owners want more interaction with the kitties......and they will still be able to hunt  :wow:

"Good Luck"  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2007, 21:18:42 PM »
They are doing my head in... :Crazy:

I gave them a couple of little footballs to play with, but they won't play in front of me. I hear the ball rattling around the cage, but when I open the door to go in the room, they scurry off to their respective corners and do this book end act.  :evillaugh: Why don't they want me to watch them?  :shy:

The lady from the stables in coming to see them on Monday. I've made it clear these are house kittens now and will need the support and shelter of a pet cat, not a farm cat. She still wants to see them!  ;) Imagine if my babies could go from the comfort of a warm duvet then outdoors for a stroll round 3 acres of garden!  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2007, 17:37:20 PM »
I agree with Desley, the great progress you are making will be wasted if they are let back out at a stables. The tummy tickles is that of a cat destined to live a life of home comforts  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2007, 15:40:47 PM »
If they are starting to tame down, I wouldn't want to place them in a stable, I am sure there are cats more suitable for that environment than such young kittens. Dont forget, by letting them go, you free the space up for the next needy cats, and sadly, there is never not a next one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2007, 23:20:55 PM »
I'm as proud of them as if they were my OWN kids.  :evillaugh:

Squaw actually rolls over for a tummy tickle now. She purrs and purrs like a diesil train. Apache has now reverted to the strong, silent type, but he still likes a fuss when he thinks no one is looking...  :sneaky:

I'm starting to think about whether this stable place is good enough for them. I don't think anyone is good enough for them!  :) Only wish I could keep them...  :(

I will try the feather idea... and see if I can get a lazer. They do need some encouragement to play I think.  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2007, 22:30:21 PM »
I do think that they are as ready as they'l ever be.....there world has just got a little bigger.....is their cage on the floor? Maybe put it there so they can get used to the height of everything.....remember to lay down on the floor as you wont seem so scarey to them.....they are coming on leaps and bounds tho you must be proud  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2007, 21:24:41 PM »
i also used a laser pen with Shadow, in the beginning it was a nice stress free way of getting her to go back into the cage - she did suss it out after a couple of days mind!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2007, 20:47:25 PM »
Peacock feathers are wonderful for putting kittens like this at ease and for drawing them out of the corner :)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2007, 18:47:59 PM »
How did it go? or are you still trying to get em back in lol x

Well, I got Apache out but he ran straight into a corner. I left him there for about 20 mins or so, then I went to try tempt him out. He just hissed and spat... :scared: I guess they aren't ready yet.  :shy:

I bought them some toys.  ;D A wooley mouse and 2 pin pong balls. Every morning I find them half drowned in the water bowl.  :evillaugh: Squaw enjoys a game of footy with me, though. I roll the ball to her and she bats it back. She purrs while she's doing it as well...  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2007, 16:35:19 PM »
How did it go? or are you still trying to get em back in lol x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2007, 19:48:26 PM »
Sounds like now is the right time.....prepare for the uproar lol  ;)

As long as you know you can get them back in i cant see any probs x

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2007, 19:17:38 PM »
Anyone got any thoughts of when I can start tempting these two out of the pen?  :-:

Apache is as soft as treacle now. Sqauw still has Diva moments... but both of them will now let me touch them anywhere, and I can even groom them with a comb.

I just have a fear that they are getting agoraphobic in there as they seem to not even try to get out.  :shify:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
I'm sure I'll make peace with Apache easily enough. Brains in his belly, that one!  :evillaugh: But Squaw has started to tremble again when I sit next to the pen.  :-:

Time to pull out the artillery - liver sausage!  8)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »
They hopefully enjoyed the runaround anyway :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »
They're all back and settled now, but I've lost some ground, sadly.  :(

i'm sure you'll gain back the lost ground!

Once they settle back down and have some treats.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2007, 12:09:51 PM »

haven't got little razor claws.

I think most girls have :)

:poke:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »
We had a wee accident cleaning pen this morning.  :-[ Squaw legged it out of the pen door and started darting all around the bathroom.  :scared: Poor Apache didn't know what to do and just sat good as gold in the middle of the pen watching the commotion.  :evillaugh:

First she wrapped herself around the toilet outlet, then ran up the curtains. Eventaully, she went into the shower cubicle and ran up the shower curtain. I got a towel and prepared to grab her, but she was just the right height to leap straight into my eyes.  :scared: :doh: It was then I realised it does take a bit of courage, this lark, doesn't it? And yes, I know she was more scared than me but at least I haven't got little razor claws.  :tired:

After a short while I did manage to grab her, turned round to shove her back into the pen.... then saw that Apache had legged it too!  :rofl: :rofl:

They're all back and settled now, but I've lost some ground, sadly.  :(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2007, 11:19:08 AM »
Aw what a shame  :(

Glad there's no more kittens though.....less stress to the situation.....next week just use the smelly pilchards in tom sauce inside the trap, dont bother with the leaders  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2007, 01:10:57 AM »
Frustrating night!  :brick:

The mum is really a moo! She ate the front bait twice, then walked off....  :tired: But she doesn't look pregnant so that's a relief.  :innocent: And there aren't any more kittens!  :wow:

Managed to nab someone's ginger.  :evillaugh: Pool soul! He was so upset I gave him his own tin of sardines when I released him, and then he jumped in the car and curled up purring next to me.  :Luv:

So, I'll try again later in the week... :shy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »
Re: kittens in pen together.......kittens are so quick learning....the trust you have gained wont be lost....it will help the kittens settle in they'l be a doddle  ;)

Thats after the initial calming down period.....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 12:34:35 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2007, 11:43:57 AM »
Well, I got the second kitten pen organised. But keep your fingers crossed there aren't any more kittens as I really don't want to put them in with Apache and Squaw because I think it'll set them back.

Apache now seems to enjoy a good old fuss and will let me lift him up breifly without complaining. He's going to be a big cuddlebum - I can tell!  :Luv: Squaw allows me to stroke her but would rather I didn't. A bit of a diva in the future, I think.  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2007, 06:51:07 AM »
Kitten pen is fine  ;)  If she's released too early and something happens, you'll never forgive yourself.....make sure they use dissolvable stitches as well.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2007, 06:17:04 AM »
If that really is the case then I have a problem.  :-: If she's feral, there is nowhere to keep her... unless I could keep her in a kitten pen in the garden for a week? Is that feasible?

Why did I start this!  :tired:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2007, 06:10:07 AM »
After a spay you need a min of 48hrs to make sure theres no major problems with the wound etc.

I cant remember if it was someone on here or it was in real life about a cat who was released straight after her spay, the wound opened and "bits" started comming out and got infected and the cat died  :(

Yep, that happened to a friend of mine and the recommendation is 10 days.......I won't release mine until they have been done minimum 7 days, but ideally 10 if they are not too stressed.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2007, 19:59:46 PM »
Well, I may be on the trail of a second cage (it'll have to go in the bathroom, though) and I'm collecting a second trap tomorrow. But our branch is rapidly running out of this gear and I gather there's another case on the horizon this evening...  :(

Meantime, Apache is enjoying his new found voice and has miowed three times today...  :Luv:

Both of them are eating from my fingers, but only with sardines.  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2007, 19:20:46 PM »
2 cages on top of each other worked fine for me as long as they are both sturdy  ;)

After a spay you need a min of 48hrs to make sure theres no major problems with the wound etc.

I cant remember if it was someone on here or it was in real life about a cat who was released straight after her spay, the wound opened and "bits" started comming out and got infected and the cat died  :(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2007, 07:05:47 AM »
Have you thought about putting two cages on top of each other (with board in between) i know you prob have  ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2007, 23:08:26 PM »
Is there anyone in the area that could let you know whether there's any more kittens or not before you trap mum?  I know when I did the mum and kittens in the greenhouse, it was a few days before I saw both kittens together.  It's also possible because the mum will still be in milk, that the vet won't spay her.......mine prefer them to have dried up first.  It's a shame you haven't got anywhere to keep her really, I always try and keep mum and kittens together for a few days after trapping them.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2007, 21:12:38 PM »
Lovely idea, Teresa, that was plan A. But they're going on holiday today and not back for two weeks.  :brick:

Mum should be fine in the original location once she's spayed. If she's too feral, that really is the best I can do for her...  :(

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2007, 20:55:38 PM »
Could not mother cat be given the farm home after spay and kittens tamed and rehomed as domestic?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2007, 20:44:48 PM »
MM, I seriously don't have room for another cage. It's college holidays and there's OH's kids visiting this weekend...  :(

I've twisted it every way I can in my head, and the only option is to wait til sunday. Once she's been to the vet, if she's really feral I'm just gonna have to release her back to where she came from. But knowing me, I'll think of a plan B if I think she may tame down a bit.  ;)

BTW, the latest on the kittens it that I caught OH feeding them sardines from his fingers. He can't get over how much they've come round in 2 days.  :evillaugh: ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2007, 19:20:38 PM »
Could you get hold of another dog cage? She can live in one of those for the weekend, i use a carrier as their bed, makes it easy as you can shut the door  ;D
Where will she go to recover from her spay?

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2007, 19:09:01 PM »
try some cheapo frozen prawns, nice and smelly .  Mine will kill for them  :Crazy: ;)  good luck

Link to CatChat