Author Topic: Tortie coming home- real rescue after all  (Read 5517 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Tortie coming home- real rescue after all
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »
Might be an idea to let your son fill her food bowl and put it down for her some of the time so that she can see he is a provider as well.  Glad she is settling in, you've done better than I have with some of mine; Gin lives behind the sofa and we very rarely see her and the only touch you get is a quick smooth sometimes as she rushes past you. :Luv:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 11:31:39 AM »
Luckily the fear is not turned against me.  She rolls on the floor for me, wanting to be rubbed on her tummy.  She headbutts me, purrs, wants to be stroked and allowed me to give her a thorough grooming, which might have been the first time she had that done. 

I alos had a major shock last night:  whilst i was having a shower, she had opened the window to the roof and back garden and...went outside...ahhhhh.  I thought that's it, she won't come back now as skittish as she can be.  But, as I went outside in the pitch black, accompanied by my other female, she actually jingled along and stopped walking away and allowed me to pick her up and take her back to the house.

She also started playing last night, as if she had never played before-she acted like a kitten but was also scared of the toy.  So I think she will be ok in time.  She seems quite clever, was straight at the window again this morning to check.  Once she can go outside, I think she will enjoy it all.  I am working a lot with her. 

The only thing is that she only trusts me but runs away from everybody and anybody else, including my son who she did not mind at the shelter.  He gave her some treats last nights which she tentatively took.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 22:38:38 PM »
She sounds like Misa was when he forst came here and it took 3-4 weeks before he came out from his hiding place for good. He still is scared of other people, the door bell etc and can get very scared if I do something unusual like getting the cat cage out.

The first time he saw me in a hat he was growling and flattened his ears back and was in attack mode.

I have had him nearly 3 years now and hw will sit by my feet when I am talking over the fence to the lady next door now which is quite a change  to how he was.

Sasa however is still semi feral and I cant touch her, she arrived at same time as Misa.

its so sad that cats like these , who are very goodlooking like yours have had such terrible lives and are so scared with it being embeded sep in their heads.

Some times I can see Sasa and she so much wants to be stroked and cuddled but she just cant force herself to allow it. The fear is in her eyes and recently she has eaten most of her coat and I am hoping she is just starting to get back to normal.

These sorta cats take a lot of patience and even then sometimes they dont come round but I know that Sasa loves me and in her little way feels safe and knows that this is her home and she wants to live here,  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 20:09:34 PM »
There is no way of telling how long it will take a cat to come round, it really does depend on them. There is a MEssybeast article about taming feral kittens that has some good points, and they do work on adults. Good luck with her.
Please spay your cat

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 19:57:32 PM »
She did go to the litter tray during the night, which I am glad about because was geting worried ahe would get constipated.  She is under the bed all day but comes out in the evenings or when I rattle some treats.  She seems quite confident with being stroked but the slightest sound makes her look worried.  never had a cat this nervous beofre so I wonder how long she will take to get more confident if ever.  Who knows what her life was like for 10 years- according to the shelter not very good.  She is ok with me though and the good thing is, she shows no aggression at all.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 00:07:24 AM »
She sounds like she is settling and its very early days yet for a nervous cat  :hug:

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 13:28:43 PM »
She used the litter tray to make one enormous puddle of wee but nothing else as yet.  She must be popping, considering how much she has eaten.  No problems with appetite.  She just walked out of her hiding and into another hiding but she is moving around the place.  And not running either, so she must be getting better.  Feliway all over the place.  At least its not the catastrophe I had with the others- poo and vomit up the curtains and carpets.  So she is far easier in that sense.  She comes to me in the evnings, when I am staying with her and she is ok for me to stroke her behind the bed.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »
Well done Pandora, Malena looks gorgeous and very unusual.  As everyone says, don't worry too much, cats has an amazing capacity to hold back from pooping.  One of my newest kittens managed to hold on for three days but, boy, when I finally got him to go he pooed for England.  I'm sure you will know  :sick: when she has finally been.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 01:51:17 AM »
Them kitties are beautiful!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 00:47:11 AM »
Dont worry she will use the litter tray as soon as she feels she has to especially as she is eating and drinking  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 20:18:18 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much ... most kitties do tend to hold it in when they first get to a new home.  I'm sure she will  relieve herself in the litter tray soon  ;)

With regards to bonding the following link may be of interest:

http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/bonding.html

http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/timidcat.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 19:47:28 PM »
Yes  I just went to get the litter they used in the rescue.  I am worried though that her bladder will burst... she has drunk quite a bit and eaten wet food.  And I did hand feed her today- chicken.  Eating has not been an issue with her at all.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 19:36:17 PM »
Hey Pandora, just caught up with your news - congratulations on homing Malena; what a lovely bunch of cats you have now!   :Luv2:

(oh, and don't worry - I had the same problem with my pics here, until I was kindly introduced to the joy of photobucket! I would urge to get an account (free) as I have absolutely no probs uploading pics there from my 12 megapixel camera)  ;D

One of my old rescue cats behaved in exactly the same way as Malena is - hiding yet being apparently happy with being stroked, etc . It took a couple of weeks but I used to spend a lot of time in the room with her, just talking, not making eye contact, leaving everything calm and easy. I used to hand feed her bits of chicken as she lay under the bed and every night, I would leave the clothes I had been wearing that day in the room with her as they smelled of me, the house, and my other cat. The idea was that she would get to know and understand these smells in a relaxed manner. I also used to leave a radio on very quietly, tuned to a talk station/radio 4 and sometimes would leave a nightlight on for her, too. As I said, it took some time but it worked.

As for the tray - I am sure you have already thought of this, but is it the same litter as at the rescue centre? Two of my cats came from a place where they would rip up old newspaper to use as litter and so for a while, they would 'go' on ANY paper left on the floor! We eventually weaned them on to 'proper' litter but I know that some cats like to feel a certain texture when they are digging and therefore can be quite picky with litter.

Keep us informed, but again, congratulations on the new addition to your family!  :hug:

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 19:21:42 PM »
New problem now:  she has not been to the toilet since I got her yesterday morning.  I rang two different vets and they said it is not unusual for that to happen.  I even wet and bought the litter they used at the rescue.

She is going to be quite some work because she is very nervous.  I wonder what horrors she has been hrough in ten yeras. Hpe I can undo it and win her trust.  She does come out to me with a lot of coaxing.  At least she did last night and this morning.  But the not going to the toilet worries me.  I could not hold it that long.  If she has not gone by tomorrow, the vet but the vet said to wait till then.  She is eating and drinking though.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 18:38:20 PM »
Ahhh gorgeous kitties and Melena is particularly stunning .... very unusual markings  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 14:54:31 PM »
What lovely cats :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 14:26:40 PM »
Here are Pandoras cats , including Miss Tortie  ;D

They are great but the pics were enormous in mbs so have needed resizing and compressing.

Have sent instructions on how to do  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »
Aww, glad she is home, and I am sure she will come round in no time.
Please spay your cat

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 20:30:43 PM »
I have done all that. She has new covered over bed, litter tray, food and water all gathered in that area.  Can't do anything about not eating where litter tray is.  Can't see her walking anywhere right now.  Have a covered litter tray but want her to use it once uncovered to get the smell.  She is really cute.  mind you, soon you can see all of mine.

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 20:23:03 PM »
So pleased for you. She will soon realise that she is in her own, loving home. She perhaps has never properly been loved before. :Luv: Can't wait to see piccies

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 20:18:31 PM »
given the circumstances she came from, it will take you time to build up trust. Often cats will be scared in a new environment and it sounds like she has not come from a place where she could be confident that humans would be nice to her. This is why she responds favourably when you approach her, but otherwise hides. I would be inclined to leave a litter tray, food and water near where she prefers to be (so she has life's necessities attended to) and sit in the room with her, talking quietly and in a friendly tone. Do not look directly at her when she comes out as she will see this as threatening. Treat her as you would a wild animal you were trying to befriend, rather than as a cat who should know how to behave. She will come around in no time if you give her the right body-language messages.

Well done you for giving her a home  :Luv:

To load photos. Establish a photobucket account and load them there. When they are in photobucket all you do is click on the fourth code down (all will be clear once you have done the first bit) and then go into your message to Purrs and do control V. The code will go into your post and when you go back to the main message you will find your photo has miraculously appeared - amazing stuff this technology! :wow:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 19:55:53 PM »
Malena, sounds wonderful and dont worry she will use a tray when she is ready, prpbably during the night when its quiet.

Misa hid under the recliner for ages and I used to leave him a dish of food and water there for him and also a tray in that room.

Slowly as he got confident he came out to eat with Sasa and then I moved everything to the palces I wanted them to be. Took a few weks but so what  ;D

If you send me the pictures I will post them for you and email you instructions what I did.

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 19:34:57 PM »
She is here!!!! I have called her MALENA.  Picked her up this morning and finally got a better look at her.  She is-despite me saying i will go for a really 'manky' one- a really beautiful brindle tortie with some large orange patches in the right places (she has a clear face of orange) and white paws, white chest and some white on her tummy. 

It was heartbreaking to hear the shelter woman telling me that she has had a bad life so far.  She was the one who picked her up from where they found her.  She was abandoned but came from a 7 ctas and 2 dogs household and bad conditions.  It might even be that she had her first vaccinations only just now and she needs a booster in three weeks.  My other cats have met her. shown interest.  I was particularly glad that my female was ok with her and was nice to her.

Trouble at the moment is:  She has hidden under the bed, which I have now pulled away a bit from the wall and she lets me stroke her- actually she goes purring mad with any contact and she has rolled all over-under the bed.  But she wont come out.  She has not eaten or drunk but I gave her a bit on my finger and she ate that up.  I even managed to give her a quick grooming with a brush, which she loved. The worrying thing is that she has not been to the toilet since I got her.  I have hidden it near her under a chair and we did leave the house for a bit to have it all quiet and give her a chance to go- but she hasn't.

I would love to show pics but I have had problems getting them to a size this site accepts.  Have no idea how to get it that small.  got a 10 megapixel camera so pics are pretty good but also large.  I have had someone trying to tell me how to shrink it but it was not very clear.  so if anyone has any more advice, please let me know.  I want to show her to you.  She is so pretty.

Oh and a little ironic thing happened today- weeks (or even a couple of months) ago I also asked another rescue if they had a cat to home to me and they were so unhelpful, I just forgot about them.  As I arrived home with Malena, the phone rang and this woman was asking me if I still wanted to rehome a cat as they had someone desperate to find a new home for their cat....I told her that I had just returned from a rescue.  She hesitated just to see if she could sway me but no no this is my final one and thats it.  Four is the upper limit for sure.  I also gave an application form to become a volunteer to the rescue today.  Let's see what they make of it.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »
Oh that's fantastic! Why don't more people realise 10 years is no age? Three teeth is no biggy either I'd just say keep the other tip top. I've known a couple of cats with no teeth at all. You give them mushed up pate, they go for biscuits but that's why we love 'em!

or I use a product called "plaque off" which lasts ages and you just sprinkle onto food and it helps with plaque (duh!) and also bad breath!

Where do I get me some of that? Smokey's teeth and breath aren't too great. He's only 2 1/2 as well. My 13 year old gives me far less health worries than the Corporal.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
Oh I can't wait for pictures!

My 10 year old boy Penguin had a few teeth out last year and somehow misplaced about 6. He's also the most laid back cat in the house and a daddy's boy.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:47:32 AM »
Aww great news. Can't wait to see pics of her. Like the others said don't worry about her teeth its normal for older cats to lose them ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 22:40:19 PM »
Glad you are still taking her - I dont always feed senior to mine, and I Wouldn't worry about her teeth - Rolo had 11 teeth out hte other month, wolfed 2 pouches at the vets, and has been fine since - he pretended to be iffy with biscuits, so I got him a few different flavours, at which point he accepted he could eat them. I have gone through about 10 dentals with cats and only had one that had issues afterwards. I would do yearly bloods to pick up on any changes early, and insurance is a must - either AXA or Sainsbury's are best for oldies - and not expensive, Molly costs me £11 a month, she is 15.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 22:34:21 PM »
So pleased that she is coming to you  :hug:

To be honest I dont do anything special for my older cats and Ducha had to have some mouth treatment just after I got him and he is still fine. I suspect that I may have to find them something else to eat eventually but Franta wont eat lumps except for biscuits and then licks the jelly of the meat  ;D

Have you got a name for the new lady of the house and am sure she will be eating fine. I think they just get more fussy as they get older  :rofl:

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 22:29:03 PM »
We want pics when she gets home!!!!!!!!!

Her mouth should be absolutely fine. Katie had two teeth out and had pate that evening, but was back to munching on biscuits the next day. As other people have said, some people don't feed thier senior stuff til they're older, but K is only 7 and I feed her senior stuff already, but I have to say that she's a little overweight so it's better for her!

There's not a huge amount you can do about the teeth apart from feeding a dry diet as well as wet as it cleans the teeth as they munch it. There is Science Hills TD food which you can put a few kibbles in with their normal food and it helps, or I use a product called "plaque off" which lasts ages and you just sprinkle onto food and it helps with plaque (duh!) and also bad breath!

Good luck with it all and we expect full updates!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
Tortie coming home- real rescue after all
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 22:20:57 PM »
When I started the whole process of adopting one final cat, i wanted it to be one that really would be overlooked and ignored for various reasons by many.  And now, without even realising it, this has come true. 

I chose her on Saturday, having been offered about 10 other cats, including an Abyssinian.  She did not have her vet check yet so no one knew how old she was or if she had any problems.  I literally just went by instinct, first impression and on her choosing me rather than the other way round.  a bit of a gamble but as I said, I was up for it.

Now she has been checked, she ended up having three teeth out and she is 10 years old, older than my oldest at the moment.  The manager was worried I would not take her now, knowing her age, but I just said: She is only half way through her life, no probs.

Will collect her tomorrow morning- so much more to learn though- how to look after an older cat- food for senior citizens (is it any good), how to prevent further dental problems- can she even eat with her teeth just out-will she need pain relief...Oh and i have read that there are supposed to be vitamins for cats but when I asked at the vets, they did not know about it.  Any ideas?

Link to CatChat