Author Topic: Update on Socs story  (Read 3048 times)

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Re: Update on Socs story
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 17:46:39 PM »
No haven't spoke to them but I guess its worth a try. The biggest problem is Socs asthma it is so bad that he really would be at very high risk being put under GA and they would have to do that to do most of the tests.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 14:40:32 PM »
So sorry to hear the sad news about Socs :(  I am sure he knows how much he is loved .  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 14:11:23 PM »

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »
I have only just seen this story. Could somebody kindly point me to the original thread so that I can see read his story before coming into crae?

Kelly-Joy,

I am so sorry to read this story, which is partially tempered by the fact that he is having the best attention. I know that you have had 2 veterinary opinions but have you approached the Feline Advisory Bureau? Their veterinary scholars and professors are at the cutting edge of many feline problems, of which ordinary vets have little or no knowledge. I can vouch for that first hand, due to the superb support and advice that both our vet and us have had for Beanie, who has a mycobacterium problem of which little is known.

You will probablly know of the work they do with breeds and moggies. If you haven't consulted them it is worth a  shot and you have nothing to lose.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »
Thanks everyone :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »
Very sorry to hear the news kelly, but as everyone says, at least he knows love and is not in any pain at the moment and will not have to suffer any pain unnecessarily.   :hug: :hug: to both of you.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »
really sorry to hear this news Kelly but at least he is happy and knows love now and for the rest of his life regardless of how long that may be.

I know how heartbreaking these kinds of cases can be and all our thoughts are with you and socs.   Give him a tummy tickle from us and keep us posted on how things are going. :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 09:07:24 AM »
Sorry to hear the sad news  :hug:  Please give him a gentle head kiss from me and the boys.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 08:31:24 AM »
God bless him he is beautiful and such a sad story.  Hope he has a long time of pampered love left.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »
aww, I am so sorry the news isn't good, but at least he will be pampered and loved, and that is the most important thing.
Please spay your cat

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 01:18:55 AM »
Awww poor baby, he is so beautiful. Terribly upsetting but at least he has a loving home for his remaining time  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 01:07:58 AM »
So sorry to hear your news, Kelly.  :hug: :hug:  :'(

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 22:01:14 PM »
So sorry to hear about Socs - at least he is in the best home for him until his time comes  :hug:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 19:57:39 PM »
Thanks everyone he says thank you for all his cuddles ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 19:34:12 PM »
So very sorry to hear about gorgeous Socs  :'(

Give him a big cuddle and chin rub from me and my lot  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 19:32:50 PM »
So sorry Kelly  :hug:

Please give Socs a cuddle from me xx  :hug:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 18:07:18 PM »
Really sorry to hear the news - but I am pleased to know that Socs is with the best possible people who will give him the quality of life that any cat would envy, for however long he has left to be pampered.
 :hug:

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 17:51:33 PM »
So sorry :hug: :hug:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 17:45:32 PM »
Sorry to hear this sad news, Socs is a beautiful cat. At least he will be cared for by very loving people and will have happy memories of his life until it is his turn to cross the bridge.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 17:45:45 PM by Bryony84 »

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 17:33:47 PM »
Sorry Kelly  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 17:04:05 PM »
so sad to hear about socs but i am sure you will love and care for him as long as he has a quality of life  :hug: :hug:

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Update on Socs story
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 16:55:14 PM »
Heres an update on Socs story it isn't the news we wanted be he will stay with me and my family and be very well loved until his time come.

It is with an extremely heavy heart that we have to post the following update, but as a charity, we believe in honesty and transparency and we know that many of our supporters are following Socs' story and would wish to know the truth about him.

We took the decision to consult another vet and gain a second opinion on Socs' condition, both his asthma and the neurological problems, as the vet he had been seeing seemed unable to give us adequate answers to the questions we had regards Socs' prognosis. Last Friday, 14th March, Socs was examined by two vets at a different practice. They felt his asthma was severe, but that the medication he has been prescribed was good and the best for him. They observed the eye shake and also noted a head shake. Socs also 'jumps' on occasion, as if he is frightened, but when there is no cause or reason for the behaviour. The vets felt that all these symptoms suggest that Socs is having mini strokes and that if this is the case, there is no cure and no treatment. They advised that any head scan would cost upwards of £4000, that Socs would need to go to the Royal Veterinary College at Cambridge for this procedure and that a GA would be necessary. The vets feel that there would be nothing to gain from having him scanned, given their opinion about the cause of the eye shake etc. and that given the severity of his asthma that he would be at great risk of dying during the procedure. The vet feels that Socs is a very unwell Raggie and that the prognosis is very poor. It is likely that he will either have a severe asthma attack, which will lead to his death or that he will have a major stroke. The vet cannot say how long Socs has, but we are to expect his life to be cut very short.

So all there is left for us to do is make sure Socs has his medication and in addition, for us to provide palliative care, ensuring that what time he has left is as happy and comfortable as possible. He has a very good quality of life, in that he is not suffering pain, is eating well, is playing and loves his fusses and cuddles. In every sense, Socs acts like a normal, happy Raggie. With Kelly and Steve, he has everything he needs and is loved as if he were one of their own Raggies. The UKRCC remain committed to funding his needs and making sure he is provided with the very best of veterinary and foster care, for the rest of his life. Should there come a time when Socs is suffering, then the UKRCC will ensure that the right thing is done by him.

We all feel so saddened that there is nothing more we can do to secure Socs the long, happy life we had hoped for him and which he deserves, but we will ensure he knows nothing but love and care for the rest of his life. We hope that he is able to have many more happy times yet and that just maybe, for Socs, there will be a miracle and he will prove the vets wrong.

Please keep this very, special little man in your thoughts.

Kelly and Steve, thank you both, for dedicating so much time to Socs and his needs and for giving him such a lovely home.

Heart felt thanks to all those who have donated towards Socs’ fund. The money raised will be used to continue to fund his medication and other veterinary expenses, as well as anything else Socs needs to make his life more comfortable. We shall provide Socs with the very best of everything, so that during whatever time he has left, he knows nothing but love, comfort and care.

Link to CatChat