Author Topic: How many cats?  (Read 7069 times)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
Re: How many cats?
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 20:26:58 PM »
Its always a hard choice. My 2 are at the end of a long corridor of pens and I have to walk past all these little faces every time I go to see them. Obviously I couldn't possibly give them all a home, but its so sad! I'm hoping to volunteer for a shelter soon but I don't know if that will make me feel better or want to take them all home even more!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 19:45:59 PM »
 No no no, I don't have any ever in a pen.  I was talking about the rescue.  Last time I left a little black boy behind and had to be assured that he would get another little friend and someone would come and adopt him as he was young.

Have no doubts and lifetime commitments are not the issue.  Am committed, believe it.  I just feel sorry when decision time comes but it has to be.

Dark Moon

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 21:47:04 PM »
My Dear Pandora........

I have not one clue what you are going through. But......  If you have doubts then don't. It's a life commitment.

But, given the chance,  I would never not... The thing I regret is that little girl............  I went to the Humane Society ....  Ariadne came home with me. But I will never ever forget that little gray tabby I left behind.

Mine have all come from humane societies or have just wandered in and stayed. They are all gorgeous.

You don't EVER have ANY in a pen (did I read that correctly???????).

And, you need  not end up with as many. Though you would be the poorer for not having done! The next might just be the greatest love of your life.

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 20:56:33 PM »
Oh my...there it is again the: you know how things go.  I have this vision that i will end up with the dilemma of having two in a pen and...not wanting to separate them....erase, erase., erase that thought.  One only!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dark Moon

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 20:47:08 PM »
well!!!!!!!  I don't have much of that. I do  now have the 3 acres.

But, ya know... they (and me) were as happy when we had but 3 rooms (counting kitchen and bathroom) and a rusted old iron fire escape.

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 20:27:05 PM »
Well that explains the number and 4, as I saiad, looks more normal by the minute, especially as they have the safe garden area too and not really a busy road out the front, although it is irrelevant as they will never see that area.

Wish Ii won the lottery (who deosn't) and I would have a whole bunch of cat s and kids more.  My son just loved all the animals on that farm like rescue.  I am so proud that the childminder said he is considerate to all animals and people because that's how he is raised.

And just keep it coming with the answers because this is great.  I will need to download some pics on here.  The rescue saw them the other day and it was like seeing old friends to them in a happy home.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 20:07:00 PM »
For 2 adults we have alarge house and mortgage to match so the Clan Cats could have a safe haven and no traffic

It has 6 bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, 4 public rooms and 2 studies, plus acre and half of garden, 3 acre paddock and several acres of woodland with occupants and a stream, oh and we work to pay for it and the children love it and we will never move again! :innocent:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Dark Moon

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 19:35:55 PM »
Ah, but Pandora..........  They are all of them pretty. Except those who are handsome. And those who are exquisite. And those who are beautiful. Or some extremely rare ones who, like my beloved Brigit, are quite the most perfectly exquisitely beautiful.

House sizes? Shoot, I had a small apartment when I had 4. Actually also when I had 5 (well... you know how these things go....) . A tiny, tiny apartment which could fit into one quarter of my current downstairs.

It isn't the size of the place that matters. It's the love found therein.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new baby. For me - HEY! it's +  ... that's PLUS ... 2 outside and me and the babies are all out there. Me without coat and barefoot. Gosh, we've waited so long to feel warm. Even though many of you would consider this cold.

Trust me - to me and mine, it's the day we've waited months for!

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 19:15:31 PM »
Amazing- you must have looked after them really well.  Any food recommendations for longevity?  I can't wait.  It is now 2 weeks and 4 days till D-day cat choosing!  Hope they will still have the little black and white one I saw but as I said I am open to their suggestions to suit my circumstances.  Just want a nice cat- not a pretty one especially.

So what about house sizes????

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 22:30:59 PM »
Wow great answers.  Did that say 26 years old??!!!!!!!!!!!

Certainly did Pandora they (Bella and Milo ) are 26 years young.. Bella can still have a run around albeit for a few mins a day up a 40 foot tree and down   :evillaugh: she then sleeps for the rest of the day until bed time and spends the whole night purring  :hug: Milo ventures out to the garden once a day as long as its not cold, he sleeps a lot and sleeps on my shoulder. I get woken every night with either and ear full of dribble or a dribble eye where he is on my shoulder or my chest  :evillaugh:  :hug:

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 18:20:51 PM »
I better don't ask about the size of the houses for some of these answers.  Feeling quite normal now thinking of 4, thanks. And no no no-wont get to the stage where I have to say : i remeber those days.  Reason has to kick in- it has to.  With a two bedroom house (that's four decent sized rooms, kitchen, toilet and garden) , a child and me as the only adult:  that's enough. 

That's why I think volunteer work might be good.  get to be with cats without actually taking them all.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »
I have 5 2 moggies one whos 4 months the other is about 11 years,2 ragdolls ones 6 months and the other is 2 years. And one really really naughty birman. Its interesting to see that someone elses birman is the trouble maker too. I also foster and have one ragdoll who is 5 that looks like he will be staying with me permently as he has asthma and brain problems. I always say no more but then I fall for a sob story and end up taking on another opps

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 21:43:56 PM »
Be careful though. Four is your absolute maximum? Yeah, I remember those days..........

LOL!  :rofl: - Me too, vaguely!!

Eeeeeeeeeek I have four  :shify:  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 21:36:51 PM »
Be careful though. Four is your absolute maximum? Yeah, I remember those days..........

LOL!  :rofl: - Me too, vaguely!!

Dark Moon

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 20:37:50 PM »
I have 18. That's way too many, by the way.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 20:35:34 PM »
I shall have to show my husband this thread!!!   :rofl:

Three is our lucky number . . . . .

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 19:04:51 PM »
I have four and that is definitely my limit, definitely, definitely, definitely  :evillaugh:

Mine are indoor cats, if we move to a house where I could cat-proof the garden I would have more  :)

Rascal is a problem however, she loves kittens not older cats. Since the boys have grown up she has less patience with them. When they play they are a bit too rough and she bats them  :tired: However she still grooms them and follows them all over the house  :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 18:38:04 PM »
We habe 38 cats - 22 ferals, 1 rescue ragdoll and 15 domestics - all are id chipped, neutered, and vaccinated regularly and have programme in jections and are wormed every 3 months, also have 2 dogs and a couple of gold fish. 

They range from 18 to 2 at 6 months and as most have been fosters or ferals that nobody wanted all get along pretty well, yes we do have the odd spat but all in all a pretty calm houehold unless the laser pen is out or the catnip!

We even mortgaged ourselves to the hilt when we moved 18 months ago to a safe haven in fact estate agenmts thought we were weird as the cats and dogs came before anything in our search for the right home.  We found it and will never move again, we have indoor only and indoor/outdoor and all are in every night and have us on a rota for their time

We have also got about 9 waifs and strays outside who have turned up since we moved and we have neutered the ones we have caught and have a couple more to go

We also have high numbers as we bought our feral colony when we moved as noone could feed them and all are now housecats by our choice! :-:

We don't take holidays, and work to keep the mob and I wouldn't have it any other way but I'm sure the Clan Cats will have something to say about the new puppy we hope to get later in the year as a playmate for Sky last years puppy - the cats took about 2 weeks to accept him and now he plays and rounds them up and thinks all our black and whites are minature border collies! :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 17:07:00 PM »
Wow great answers.  Did that say 26 years old??!!!!!!!!!!! That's some age.  My cats are mostly quite docile.  My two boys, the older and the younger cat have bonded really well. My female is a bit haughty and has the occasional hiss but it has settled down recently.  They all have their preferred sleeping spaces, although the boys are on my bed together.  They are pretty much non aggressive cats and have never scratched or shown any aggression towards me or my son.

Saw a lovely one at a rescue today as they were having a special event.  I have seen her before, spoke to some people and they said I could have her.  the only problem is that I want to wait three weeks to be there in the holidays with her.  Just hoping she wont be taken in the next three weeks...

4 is definitely my limit. Am thinking of becoming a volunteer as my son is mad keen to be in the farm like environment and I would love to help.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 14:08:57 PM »
I have 11 currently and wouldnt rule out having more if a deserving case came along LOL! Having said that, with as many as I have, it would probably put me out of the frame for adopting more from many rescue organisations, although I know the rescue centre one of my persians came from wouldnt have any hesitation in me adopting a cat from them, especially as they know me and my persian experience.

Mine have all been used to newcomers, but I've always done the introductions carefully and thats really important if you want things to get off to a good start.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 09:36:42 AM »
I have 8 of my own kittys ranging from 6 months to 4.5yrs.   That's my limit.  That said all of mine have matching personalities and all get on a like a house on fire.  Fantastically well.  But definately my limit!  lol

As Gill says you have to think about the personality of what you have already.  Will they accept another cat??  If not, then it would be best not to as it would then risk problems with stress for your own cats.

If yes, then great... go for it.   With 3 cats now and looking for another 1, especially if you're looking for a little one that would ordinarily be hard to home I can't see how you wouldn't be a catch for a rescue!!  ;)

Good luck with the search, look forward to hearing how you get on with the search for your new furbabe!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 00:51:19 AM »
I guess it all comes down to personal choice. My first cat Bertie was rehomed to me from a rescue as a lone cat so I respected that and just had him. I have recently re-homed a pair of senior boys and as much as I would love another, well it wouldn't be fair on them I guess and I think I could get carried away  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:.

For me I think 4 would be the limit - and that is prob a few years off!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 00:07:56 AM »
The lady who is adopting my little Chance is the same lady that took his three sibblings before Christmas. That means she'll have all but one of the whole litter!  :wow: (They're the ones in my avatar at the moment.)m

Personally, I've had up to 6 adult cats in the house at one time, but some of them have been fosters who where only with me a couple of weeks. The most actual pet cats I've had is 4.  8)

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 22:10:09 PM »
I have 8 ranging from 19 months (twins) and my beautiful wrinkleys are 26 and obviously the ones in between. They all get plenty of attention as I never have a peaceful house having a  teenager. I did have 9 up until June last year as my beautiful boy Gizmo was called to the bridge.

I have plent of room for them all to either be together should they want to be or be alone. They have a million toys to play with and boxes different shapes and sizes.....

They cost an absolute fortune to feed, insure etc but I wouldnt have them if I didnt have the time or money too look after them...... Although there are some tiffs now and again they generally do all get on......... most nights I have at least 6 on the bed so if Im asleep when Daddy gets in her goes and sleeps in another room  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 21:53:13 PM »
I have 4 -all came at different times , but luckily they all get on ok- there is the odd spit and hiss -mainly from Sophie , i suppose she is the eldest and was first one i had after my Oscar went to Rainbow Bridge.
Most i have had was 5 and funnliy enough they all loved each other and would sleep together too (mainly on my bed ) but these 4 i have now ,will sleep near each other -but not together !

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 20:42:26 PM »
I think it depends on how much space you have, the puuuuursonality of the existing cats and how much you can afford in insurance , food and vaccinations.

I use to have one and like Ruth she would not accept any other cats and when she passed to the Bridge I wanted a pair and now have a pair , one of whom doesnt like me as she is semi feral......or anyone else......and they get on fine aged 6 and 10yrs now.

Then I decided that another pair would be nice as had the space etc and a pair of birman brothers joined us , now aged about 14. The reasoning was that if the pairs didnt get on , I would had least have two separate pairs that got on.

Nothing is that easy cos the two pairs dont get on cos the birmans seem to speak a different language to the other two.......sigh.

Most of the time they tolerate each other but the house is not as happy as it was and think that Sasa have got to love me by now cept for the birmans and they ceratinly upset my moggies.

I think that your 3 sound fine and wonder about possibly upsetting the apple cart by taking on another.

I think at the end of the day we take on extra cats for our benefit rather than our existing cats benefit and lots of tjought should be given to this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 20:00:44 PM »
We have 4 - It depends on the cats and how much space they have. We have a 4 bed, 4 bath with a double dining room and a huge basement living room. Also a kitchen that is a big as a good sized living room + garden. So they can find their own spaces. Even then we have occasional run-ins  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 19:57:14 PM »
An open minded person willing to have something less pretty, they'll love you!

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 19:49:15 PM »
Yes, that's my plan.  Saw a black 5 years old male in a local rescue that I might be interested in.  However, with having three cats and a young child, I want to keep it totally flexible not to upset anything and I will go with what the rescue recommends.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 19:43:31 PM »
I have 6 between 2 and 8 years and thats enough for my family  :evillaugh: if it was just me id up it abit for something "skanky" that no one else wants  :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 19:25:03 PM »
probably a good idea. I would have had one aged around 10 in between sofie and Bob, but unfortunately Claudius developed cancer that had metastasised before I noticed the symptoms. A younger oldie is a good idea, I think. :Luv: about four or five would be nice ....

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 19:21:30 PM »
Wow 8 seems a lot...but someone the other day told me she had 8.  Quite a few colleagues of mine all have 4.  It is just by chance.  Staggered ages seems a good idea too.  My two older ones are going to be 8 years old and my young one will turn 1 at the same time (they all have more or less the same birthdate!).   So maybe one between 1 and 8 will be an idea.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 19:12:58 PM »
I have had up to 8 cats at a time. I have to say that three is probably the optimum number. More than that, and while i am working, there will always be one who does not get sufficient attention to allow it to develop character and a meaningful relationship with me. If I was not working full time I would probably extend to around 5 as I would have the time to develop a relationship with each and every one of them. Layered aging is a good idea as you can always bring in a newbie when one passes to the rainbow bridge. Not sure about age pairs ... have never tried it. My present 2 are an adult female (possibly 3, more likely older) and a young one who is less than a year old. Before I arrived here I had Bob who was 19 (sadly passed to the bridge shortly before I moved) and sofie, 4 who decided she wanted to stay with the friends who cared for her and Shadow (the dog) when I moved over here. Shadow came over with me and has clearly adopted Esther and Smigden as his.  :Luv:

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 19:06:23 PM »
Well I thought having two pairs of similar age would be nice.   It has been a total joy to have the ones I have and the introduction of the last one was not difficult at all and six months down the line it is all pretty relaxed.  The two boys reallly get on really well. 

I even called the cattery they go to for a couple of weeks in the summer for the holidays and after two cats it is only 2.50 for the others per day which is very ok.    So I thought rather than having one more lingering in some pen, they can have a free and comfortable life here.  Of course I want to get it absolutely right for all to get along.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 18:53:45 PM »
Just the one for me, but would have 2 if I could. My one won't have another cat in the house so it's solo for the duration  :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 18:52:24 PM »
My personal limit is 2, as I adopt older cats and have a knack of finding cats that have health issues and cost a fortune (vets bills hte past 2 years have been in 4 figures each year, and the bulk is just on one of the two cats), and i dont want to be in a position where I have a third and can't afford the food or vet treatment. I do foster though, so get my kitty fix that way. Everyone has their own limit and it really does depend on things like space, finances and time. But dont knock rescues for asking why, we generally do it to make sure people have thought things through and are doing it for the right reasons, sometimes people do it for themselves with no thought of how their existing cats will cope, and if it doesn't work out, the cat has been messed about for nothing. Also, it might make a difference as to what cats they think would be suitable - we got asked about one of our 10mo's today, as another rescue had said that age group as a friend, yet ours are mega hyper and it would be brought back due to the existing cat not appreciating it. IF we hadn't known why, we might have said yes and got her hopes up unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 18:54:04 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
How many cats?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 18:41:46 PM »
I have three cats and am totally a cat person.  Unfortunately my family never really wanted pets, although my mum loved cats too.  So once I had my own home, which was seven years ago, I finally was able to consider having cats.  After careful considerations, calculations and a chat with the vet, I would like to adopt another one because I have the capacity to give one more a home. 

Does that seem strange?  Ringing around a few rescues, I was asked why I even want another one.  Answer: because I love cats and give another unwanted one a home...  So my question is:  how many cats does everyone have?  (4 by the way would be my absolute final limit and that's that)

Link to CatChat