Author Topic: Question about stray/neglected cats...  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Question about stray/neglected cats...
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 16:02:26 PM »
Sent you a PM
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 16:39:51 PM »
If your friend does a search on internet for area for cat rescues she will find loads and will need to chack em all for no kill shelter, they are there but you have to search.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:05:14 AM »
http://www.lvvhumane.org/ is possibly the closest to inner city Vegas.

Like many shelters they do still have a euthanasia policy, however, at the beginning of the year they seemed to be leading the way like LA in mandatory neuter/spay. So if this little guy can be taken care of and your friend wants him and can keep him, that's one less cat in danger of being killed.

If you've ever been there and wandered the streets, its not unheard of to see dogs and cats being fed by the tourists, and possibly due to ignorance its usually junk food, which does nothing good for them.

Hope your friend is able to help him poor mite.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:34:32 AM »
Don't know if this link will help, haven't got time to do a proper search as I have to go to Nottingham in a few mins.
http://www.netpets.com/cats/catresc/nevada.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:14:24 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:04:14 AM »
Haven't got a clue, I'm afraid. I only know of the Alley Cat Allies and don't even know if they have a presence in Vegas. She could always write to them. :scared:

One thing your pal could do, if this puss is approachable, is try to hack at least some of those clumps off. Especially round the rear end if she can. Flies have a habit of laying eggs in matted fur and you don't want to know what maggots can do to a puss's rear end.  :sick:

And get some good quality food inside him as well. Biscuits are usually a cheaper way of getting good vitamins and minerals into them.  ;)

Keep us posted. Poor puss!  :(

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Question about stray/neglected cats...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 22:25:50 PM »
My friend who lives in an apartment block in Vegas tells me she keeps seeing this cat, long haired type... she thinks he is stray but can't be sure. She reckons he is definitely neglected though as last time she saw him she noticed the roots of his fur is turning into a big dreadlock.. and on the chest is a furball the size of a tennis ball. I have no idea about the standard rules in the US, but I told her to take him to a vet to see if he's chipped, and if not, ask if she can keep him in foster home until/if the owner claims him... if noone claims him she can then microchip him in her name and keep him.
She said where she lives you have to pay deposit on keeping pets, so she said noone would probably come forward if she asked the landlord...

Anyone got any ideas on other things she can do? I told her to get some proper cat food and feed him when he comes by next time, to gain a bit of his trust.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Link to CatChat