Author Topic: I think I am going insane....  (Read 6206 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: I think I am going insane....
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 17:11:13 PM »
These two are absoutely stunning - i bet Tuesday is forever getting there ! I know from your threads what a long wait you have had -but "Wow" these are worth it  :Luv:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 16:55:37 PM »
Awwww they are both stunning  :Luv2:

I can't wait to see more pics of them after you bring them home on Tuesday  ;D

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 16:49:48 PM »
(not wanting to hijack this thread  . . . . but yeah; it's an *agonising* wait! We are adopting him AND his brother Alfie!!!!   :Luv2:)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 16:36:29 PM »
Awwww what a great pic  :Luv2: I love the look of disgust on her face  :evillaugh:

Wilf is stunning I bet you can't wait till Tuesday  :Luv:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 16:26:37 PM »
 :censored:

Okay - that was the wrong picture!!!    :rofl:  THAT picture is of Wilf, who we are adopting from a rescue centre next Tuesday!!!!

Hopefully THIS is the right image . . . . . I think it's ME that's going insane . . . . . . :Crazy:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 16:24:27 PM »
Talking of Christmas dinner, here is a photo of Anoosh last December 25th - quite disgruntled that we had made roast potatoes rather than mashed, which are here favourite!! We are vegetarian and so the nut roast I made didn't really appeal to her . . . .  :briggin:

It's a cat's life, it really is!

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 15:38:48 PM »
aaaw thank you for that, yes your right, we are very committed to him - as far as we are concerned HE IS family no question!
In fact I would go as far as saying he probably gets treated better than me and my my sister lol  :innocent:

He is so spoilt, he gets a full christmas dinner (pots, veg the lot) at the table - a treat as normally his weekly sunday roast has to be eaten
in the kitchen (the hardship!) and when my mum poaches salmon for him, she has to do it with white wine and dill as he won't eat it plain!!!

:rofl:
I promise this is true...I posted about this a couple of years ago on cat chat!!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 19:09:28 PM »
Phew!  :Crazy:

Just read through this post! My goodness!

I am so pleased that it's all worked out well for you . . . .. the thing that struck me was how committed and dedicated your family is towards George; I am sure that Charlie and Matilda will grow up to be incredibly loved cats with a rather soppy (and I mean that in the nicest possible way!) extended family!

(And this is written by someone who gets mother's day cards from the cats . .  .)
 :Luv2:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 18:41:02 PM »
Glad everything seems to have worked itself out.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »
Lol, well the hamster lives in a fortress made by my lovely boyfriend from a large 'really useful storage box' and will be kept in the only room the cats won't be allowed in unsupervised, along with a houseplant that may well be posionous to kitties and the only fishtank with a lid that doesn't quite fit properly.

The large tropical tank in the lounge will provide endless entertainment for them I imagine, they can sit on the back of the sofa and watch kitty tv! The other fishtank is a little glass one in the kitchen and is probably the most cat safe tank I've ever seen so we should be ok. We used to look after the neighbours fish in one of those crap plastic tanks when I was younger and our cat at the time would watch the fish but never really went near them.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »
No way...a hamster and fish....wow your ginger ladies are going to think they have died and gone to heaven at your house!!

How much mischief at your house in the coming months.... :rofl:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »
Sounds like the best situation for everyone! My original rental agreement said no pets but after asking the landlord, we now have a hamster, 3 fishtanks and permission for cats!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 09:14:37 AM »
Wow, all change again! 

It does sound like the best solution though as George is not very happy travelling, and really exciting about Charlie and Matilda  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 09:10:56 AM »
Hi, yes it has, I feel dizzy  :Crazy:

I pick them up on 25th April...so feels like ages to wait!

I am secretly really gutted George isn't coming to live with me   :(         , but we had to do what was best for him. He loves my sister and
her boyfriend so I am happy for him....

So firing on all cylinders now, ready for the new arrivals....so much to do!!!!!!   

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »
What an emotional roller coaster you have been on  :hug:

So glad that everything has turned out so well for everyone  :)

When do you pick up Charlie and Matilda? Can't wait to hear all about them and we shall need lots of pics of course  :evillaugh:

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 08:12:23 AM »
**update**

WOW after all that George is not coming to live with me now, after all that my sister called me in tears yesterday - she couldn't bear the thought of him moving down to be with me as she would only see him every few months - so I told her the only option was to bite the bullet and ask her landlady (its written in tenancy agreement no pets, not even a goldfish!!) and she did and the landlady has cats herself and understood the predicament my mum/sister were in!!!!!!

So the sibling kittens (who we think we have decided to call Charlie and Matilda!!) are still coming to us and George is living with my sister which is best all round as he won't have a long journey and my sister only moved out of my mum and dads two weeks ago so George has lived with my sister all his life.

Goodness - cats will be the death of me this week, I have felt sick all week.....!!  :P

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 19:34:17 PM »
Well, as happens, fate seems to have stepped in - kittens will always find a home easily, whereas if you already had them and couldnt take George in, he might have struggled. I personally wouldn't get a kitten, I dont home kittens with cats over the age of 10, as single kittens have too much energy for an older cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 18:52:56 PM »
Great you are able to look after George, but I would think that your place is new territory for him, so the presence of another cat, for whom it is also new territory would be an ideal chance to get them used to each other. I would think something between four and six would be ideal as it would be steady enough to not cause George too much stress. If they came into the house on the same day or possibly a couple of days apart, they would both be getting used to new territory and to each other, so there is little risk of one feeling their space is being invaded.

I know from your earlier posts that you had you heart set on kittens, despite our best efforts to encourage you to think of an older cat. Perhaps there is a message here that you are destined to care for someone who is otherwise going to have trouble finding a home ...  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 17:49:45 PM »
I am a bit confused ......others will tell you thats not hard  :rofl: :rofl:

Is Tom going to live with you permantly or go back to your mothers when she is in the country?

If it is the former I would be tempted to get and older friend for him , if he likes cats . However there is always a danger that the pair will not get on.

If it is the latter then I dont think any other cats should be introduced cos he may miss them a lot when he goes home.

Have to say if its the latter I would not be happy for an older cat to keep moving location every few months for fairly long periods of time as he is likely to get stressed.

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 16:00:25 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for advice, I have pretty much decided 3 cats is a no-no..... I don't feel there is enough space.

Let me tell you about George, he is a very thoughtful, soft, loyal gentleman and you could literally do anything him to him and he wouldn't care because its us. He likes to eat, sleep, eat, sleep, snooze and is so lazy my mum has to make him go outside at some point during the day.
Tan - regarding his size, he is a huge tom with the biggest head - my boyfriend thinks he is the coolest beefcake of a cat he has ever seen!!
He is used to being the only cat in the house, but always gets on with other cats, never ever fights unless he is picked on and then he normally runs off and we have even seen neighbours cats come in the house and he just doesn't care! He had two (now only one) best friend cats and they like to sit and chill out together on the wall!!

I have been talking to my mum about whether she thinks I should get him a companion, she is not sure either.....starting to think a kitten may be too much for him although like I said he is so good and tolerant of everything and everyone.

I just want to do whats best for him..... my mum is totally heartbroken about this, as if he had lived at my sisters my mum would still see him when she was back in the UK. He woke her up this morning, sat on her chest purring, drooling and staring right in her face.....lol!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »
I think what Tan said sums it up for me.  :)

I still have an image in my head of my dear bridge babe Tigger's face when I walked in the room to find the Jumpster, then aged 14 weeks, literally hanging by his teeth from Tigger's earlobe while Tigger was trying to have a nap. If Tigger could have talked he'd have filed for divorce.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But they did end up the very best of pals.  ;)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:07:59 PM »
 I have enough problems with Smokey (2 1/2) being too scampish and playful with Josh (13) when Josh just wants to be the boss and relax all day.

The two kittens will hve each other but of course they will turn into two cats and maybe two big cats. Also, another thing to consider is the insurance and George's health.

Of course he is sprightly and merely a youngster himself at the moment but as the years pass you may have to consider higher insurance premiums for him and if (heaven forbid) he gets an age-related ilness such as CRF, you would have to fork out three lots of insurance, vaccs AND special food.

Sorry if I'm painting a gloomy picture of the future but I always thing any new cat decision should involve "where will I be in ten years time?"

I hope that George is still a happy pampurred old chap living in a happy home, but maybe it's better to just get one new addition. There are loads of older BSHs looking for new homes. A retired queen might be perfect, a lady who deserves a little of the quiet life maybe.

I popped some great links on your other thread but if you want them again, let me know.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »
Hi Lolly :)

Sometimes Fate steps in and changes ya plans and wonderful to hear that George will be with you.  :)  :hug:

Is he used to being an only cat in his home?  It different if he gets on with cats outside but in his core home he might not like another in his territory.  I would say it would be best to settle him in your home 1st, see how he is and wait till he is comforatble and "at home" there.  Changes to core territary can be stressful.  If he is an outside cat he needs to stay in for a while to get used to his new home and then when he is allowed out, he will need to get used to the new cats in the area as well.  

From posts over last 4 years on CC and here i read that if you were to have new little ones with an older cat, it is still best to get 2 cause they will "pester" each other and leave the older one to ingnore or join in with them. If you have one little one, he or she only has the older one to play with so will concentarte more on getting attention from the older one. Sometimes it's better to have just one little newbie if the older cat is lonely and used to a cat companion for most of their life.

It can be better to have as MM says a same age cat to introduce to a resident cat and it's the size and personality that also counts. If the newbie is smaller in size than the resident cat then the newbie is less threatening. Personalities - if you have a highly active cat with a sleepy cat, then it maybe be harder to introduce etc etc.

It all really depends on George and if he is used to  cat company in his core territory, his personality and size. :Luv:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »
I'd say either the 2 kittens or an older cat.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
I think you would be better getting the 2 kittens because they will amuse each other rather than annoying George (we got 2 bengal kittens when our 2 golden oldies - RIP babies were both 18 & 17), if you dont go for the 2 you may be better getting an older cat and then the 2 kittens can hopefully stay together.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:36:30 AM »
I think getting an older cat could be difficult as they could both try and claim territory, as neither will have firm foundations in the house. They will both be new to it, whereas I am assuming a kitten will just want to play and George can feel "like the boss" lol

Kittens annoy older cats because they have so much more energy to use up. Older cats like to snooze and eat, kittens like to snooze, eat, zoom about, eat some more, zoom about, snooze a little bit, hence why many rescues only home kittens in pairs.

George would initially feel like boss but once kitten gets bigger they are likely to challenge him for boss position. I see this happen between my 2 year olds and her majesty milly whos 8.

A good tempered adult of similar energy levels would suit George much better  ;D

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:26:05 AM »
I totally understand about you being upset about not being able to have them, I know how I will feel if things don't work out at the rescue with my 2. I suppose it depends on the temprement of the kitten, which is hard to judge, but I would think that so long as you are carful about introducing them, you should be ok, I expect the kitten would learn pretty quickly whos boss.

Hopefully someone who is experienced in introducing cats to each other will post of here as up til now, I've only had one at a time!

Probably a good idea to do something to help george relax. When we first got Casper and took him to my parents (half hr journey), he had every kind of accident possible in his box, stank the car out and wailed most of the way, poor thing!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:27:02 AM by Bryony84 »

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »
Hi Bryony,

My mum is going to speak to the vet, about maybe slightly sedating him, as he doesn't like going in the car and we don't want him to be stressed out.

The reason I am thinking a kitten, is a) because I already have two booked and I am heartbroken about not having them
b) I think getting an older cat could be difficult as they could both try and claim territory, as neither will have firm foundations in the house. They will both be new to it, whereas I am assuming a kitten will just want to play and George can feel "like the boss" lol

xx

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:55:46 AM »
Well firstly I think you are doing the right thing by having George, although I hope he travels well!! Maybe you could consider getting an older cat as company if you're not sure a kitten is a good idea, if you got one who was used to other cats there hopefully wouldn't be any problems with them being in the same house.

I understand how you feel with all your worrying as I'm worrying about whether I'm going to be able to have my shelter girls, I think it would take a lot for me to forget about them now!

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
I think I am going insane....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »
 :-[

Thank god I have come to this sight, as I am sending my other half loopy!! You may have seen my previous topic of" pros and cons of 1 cat or 2???" Well basically I definatley decided on two kittys, we established we had the room, it would be nice company for them and we can afford it.

WELL, More change...since then - I have spoken to my parents (who live 200 miles away) and I knew they were going away to their house abroad for 6 weeks in june and 3 months in august, potentially 6 months next year and they have a 11 year old Tom, our precious gorgeous family cat, the intention was he would move in with my sister. However it has now emerged she is not allowed pets in the new house she has just moved in to! So without a single hesitation, George is coming to lodge with me.

So now I cant have the kittens, I don't think a two-bed is big enough for three cats and he would possibly get bullied by the two little ones?
So now I need to decide, do I just have George or shall I just get one kitten for company for him? He gets on with other cats (he is the biggest cuddly softy thing) and is pretty tolerant of anything, but do you think he should just be allowed to live his retirement (although the luxurious life he has had with my mum, I bet he has at least another 9 years to go anyway and is in fantastic shape!!) out in piece without a baby annoying him or do you think he would enjoy it?????

I cried last night about the disappointment of not getting the kittens but I have to put George first, I am just not sure what to do....although I am not sure I could pick up one of either the brother or sister and not the other!!

Blooming heck, never thought and worried about anything so much in my life.....

Help.
Louise x

Link to CatChat