Author Topic: Should I help another rescue? Advice Please!  (Read 5945 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Should I help another rescue? Advice Please!
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »
what does the paperwork/membership help involve?

Paperwork is all manner of things that are needed in rescue I would be typing all day to give all examples.
Unfortunately this is not a job you can do if or when you have time, it is necessary to keep on top of it

Dealing with membership includes:-

A few days before the last day of each month I send renewal letter to everyone due the next month note the computer records and back up cards.

Anyone who has not renewed from the renewal letter sent the previous month I send a reminder note records and card. If still no reply after 2 weeks cross off address list for raffle tickets/raffle tickets, both envelope lists (monthly and newsletter list)  transfer from member list to lapsed list. That name then needs to be crossed off the membership number and re issue it to the next person who applies, and member name list.

New members advised by fosterer's, donations or by membership application forms. should be sent a thank you letter, membership card, car sticker, newsletter, note list raffle ticket list, put on a-z name list  list and number list (members that apply via an application form and not direct from fosterer  we have to also send a gift aid form). Put address in monthly envelopes list and on raffle ticket list.

When a renewal form has been returned  out new card, renewal letter thanks  are sent out , computer records and cards are noted.

Any completed gift aid forms, copy receipts and money/cheques should be sent to our Treasurer each week.

There are other bits needed to be done but far better to show than write down.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »
what does the paperwork/membership help involve?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 07:40:06 AM »
Just lost a long reply. In essence I wish we were lucky enough to be so choosy!

We have no choice we just cannot find any more time to transport for other fosterer's. Apart from most of the fosterer's working full time, having families wanting to do their own home visit, vet visits, helping in the shop, collecting donations, taking other peoples cats to the vets that can't or more usually won't, being officer for one or some  roles necessary in rescue like treasurer, for instance Helen spends many many hours a week, as she also has the shop to deal with as well. their is just no time to take on responsibility for another persons charges. Donna who does not work, (although she works tirelessly for CP)  our welfare Officer usually starts at about 8'o'clock and is often in and out of her home until late evening 7 days a week. I know I and some of the fosterer's do more now than we did when we were in paid employment. As indeed I expect most do in rescue.

Also our fosterers live over a huge area, it could take one fosterer over an hour to reach another. One for instance lives nearer to Derby yet another lives nearer to Sheffield.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 07:45:19 AM by Ela »

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 19:30:10 PM »
I wanted to make a difference after seeing my little cat go rapidly downhill with her CRF. I kept seeing the ad in the paper week after week and eventually made the call.

I think you have to have a predisposition to help but then the ads pursuade you to pick up the phone. Maybe a poster in the vets could help too.

Angie, I'm still working on my Auntie and Uncle and they're right round the corner!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 19:25:36 PM »
I got interested after adopting a cat from CP and they did an appeal for help. At the time I couldnt help, but when I could, I got in touch. Maybe do an appeal in a newsletter, that way you are targeting more cat orientated people?
Please spay your cat

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 19:21:17 PM »
Quite a few of our volunteers come from people that we re-home to (myself included). Many of the people join the branch as a member and then after a while quite a few people come forward to offer their support.

I think I posted in another section that a lot of time we need to people to do a lot of the back stage stuff, such as admin and paperwork but most people want to do the hands on cat care, which is great, but we need so much more that people don't realise!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 19:18:03 PM »
With over 300,000 people in Coventry you'd think there would be more people interested in helping out however appeals on the radio and in the paper have never done any good - we are trying to think of what else we can do to encourage people to come forward.

We were wondering if the newly retired would be a good area to explore - though they are probably all enjoying their new found freedom too much to want to be restricted by caring for animals.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 18:17:57 PM »
Good luck Amy.
I agree Angie - I have fostered for 2 charities without a car, although my vet is about an 8 minute walk from my house, and when I fostered for CP, I was about a 5 min walk from their house, so they would drop things off when they were going past to do things. I also had neighbours willing to help out (my first trip to the e-vet was at 4am, neighbours were happy to get up and take me over, and then rearranged things to take me back to visit).
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 16:37:11 PM »
We get people offering to foster with no transport,....
Also we get some people volunteer to help and  all they will say if you try to advise them of our standards is I've had cats all my life and don't want to know .....
Just lost a long reply. In essence I wish we were lucky enough to be so choosy! :'( >:( If we can accomodate it and the cats aren't suffering then its that or fold sometimes.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 16:23:15 PM »
so wish me luck!

I do as indeed I am sure will everyone on here. I am sure you will only enhance what the rescue now offers the little ones.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 16:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the offer. We are in Chesterfield itself and it is a bit too far for you to keep popping over. Move closer and we will welcome you with open arms.

Ah, I'd wondered if it was anything that could be done remotely without having to come over lots. Nevermind, if you do ever need anything like that, let me know. As with Diane and Joyce I'm happy to travel up when needed (with them it's usually every other week up to monthly) but new rescue is almost within walking distance meaning I could help them out with the kind of "on call" help such as vet trips and popping to the chemist for some Frontline.

I spoke to the lady at the shelter today and again all went really well. I said "when would you like me?" and she said "yesterday!" so they do need someone quite urgently. I'm going to go and see them next Sunday and be shown how they operate. I'm really looking forward to it but for all the reasons stated earlier on the thread I will be going with my eyes wide open.

I sincerely hope that next week I can report back that all the cats in their care are well looked after and homes well vetted so wish me luck!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 14:32:50 PM »
Sadly not all CP branches welcome new blood Ela, hence me no longer being a CP volunteer

I know, before we split about 5 yrs ago we had the same problem, I kept say we are not getting any younger and need new blood, the Co-ordinator at the time just uses to say we can managed.

It is very difficult though when people volunteer and you don't really know them, we had one girl volunteer for home visiting, she came to a meeting and spent all night chewing gum, blowing bubbles and pulling the gum out of her mouth, there was no way we could has sent her to peoples homes. We get people offering to foster with no transport, again we cannot use them as someone would need to take food, litter and all other necessary supplies, transport cats to the vets etc and everyone can hardly  manage now what they have to do without fetching and carrying for others. Admittedly I can arrange for litter to be  delivered to homes but we have to order £150 + VAT (About 30 bags) worth at a time and not many people are able to store that much and also for a small fosterer that would last forever.

Also we get some people volunteer to help and  all they will say if you try to advise them of our standards is I've had cats all my life and don't want to know about how we expect the cats to be cared for. We  had one new fosterer who said to a potential new owner, don't tell Elaine but I don't believe in fleaing and worming it it putting toxic chemicals in their body. Off course I was told and now after a few other things that person had to be released. We have a responsibility to the cats to ensure they have the best possible chance in life and we want people who will uphold our good name.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 14:40:36 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 14:14:49 PM »
Thanks for the offer. We are in Chesterfield itself and it is a bit too far for you to keep popping over. Move closer and we will welcome you with open arms.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 10:52:57 AM »
I do hope so, the only thing is and hope it is not the case in this instance is that some people are very set in their ways and will always say we can manage and will not let new blood influence and change things that are  often necessary. Me, I love new blood as I feel fresh ideas are always a good thing, even if not all appropriate. Off course more hands on deck is also a good thing. I know I would love some more volunteers, one to deal with our Membership, another to deal with our vouchers, it is only a few hours a month but would be an enormous help. I live in hope that someone will come forward.

Ela, you should've said in your PM! Let me know what you need and I will bear it in mind. I'm still in two minds about shelter#2 but I am going to find out. I will not be involved with a rescue that doesn't put the cats' needs first and does all the things you mentioned unless I truly believe I can have some influence.

Sadly my fear is that you may be right about the "stuck in their ways" thing. The lady asked me loads of questions about how I care for my own, where they came from, what parts of the house they have access to etc... so she seemed to really care but did say things like "oh well that's a good sign because we wouldn't rehome a cat to you otherwise" which makes me think they're either super cautious of new homes or not at all willing to be flexible.

I'm going to ring the other lady today and check it all out but Ela if you want to PM me in the meantime to let me know what you need that's fine. How far are you from me by the way?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 10:28:40 AM »
Sadly not all CP branches welcome new blood Ela, hence me no longer being a CP volunteer, they said they wanted help, but didn't really - and since I stopped volunteering for them, they have sent out numerous appeals for help. I have been able to help a smaller rescue much more.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
I do think though that CS will notice a considerable difference in the recognition of her efforts in working with a smaller rescue where you can influence change / benefits on a greater level.

I do hope so, the only thing is and hope it is not the case in this instance is that some people are very set in their ways and will always say we can manage and will not let new blood influence and change things that are  often necessary. Me, I love new blood as I feel fresh ideas are always a good thing, even if not all appropriate. Off course more hands on deck is also a good thing. I know I would love some more volunteers, one to deal with our Membership, another to deal with our vouchers, it is only a few hours a month but would be an enormous help. I live in hope that someone will come forward.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »
We also, more importantly I suppose, help with hand rears as they struggle a little with that aspect.

We do things like that, but we then keep the kittens and home them, so we are not working for another charity, the kittens once handed over become ours and therefore they are entitled to all the benefits that brings. Of course we also would tell other rescues about things like VetUK as someone else has mentioned.

So yes we do help other charities but  don't actually help out on another rescues premises. Everything we do is in our own Charities & Branches name. So it is very clear that we are not invilved with other rescues. If you only knew the bad name some rescues have you would understand.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 09:33:36 AM »
I'm in fact struggling to see what would stop me helping out with another rescue

All I will say about that is we will not be involved with other rescues who do not do home visits, home sick cats sometimes within days they have died or needed to be PTS (we know because at the time the vet has thought we had homed those cats) a rescue who will tell someone who rings them about a cat in an emaciated state we are full and offer no further help. A rescue that mixes cats from different situations. If we become involved in a rescue like that although we do everything right we would still be tarred with the same brush.  Also we would have to open our mouths if things were not as they should be, so the relationship would not last very long.

I will say that we have given food and personal donations  to other rescues but that is as far as it goes.

Its not as though they have to adopt each others procedures
I would agree that you do not have to adopt each others procedures but when your  procedures are fundamental to the well being to the cats and they are not followed by the other rescue then it puts one in a very difficult position.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:38:28 AM by Ela »

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »
working together doesn't mean trying to run as a 'single' operation.  We quite often help another rescue in our area with trapping and passing on referrals for cats and kittens.  We also, more importantly I suppose, help with hand rears as they struggle a little with that aspect.

Whilst we may not necessarily agree with 100% of the ways in which they do things that is not our concern, we will drop hints and ideas but we do our bit in helping the cats we can together and in homing.  We are still a completely seperate organisation but would never not help to the detriment of the cats.

I think that so long as someone can give the time needed to more than 1 rescue then neither should have reason to object.    I do think though that CS will notice a considerable difference in the recognition of her efforts in working with a smaller rescue where you can influence change / benefits on a greater level.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 18:41:56 PM »
I have to say we try and work closely with the other charity I help out - we are in regular contact, tell them what we have in and they tell us what they have in, so if they get a call for something they dont have but know we do (and vice versa), we can pass people on. i have helped them home more cats by putting them onto CatChat, and giving them a space by taking Zia on and a few other little bits. We also got a bit of fundraising help from the RSPCA last year, as they allowed us a stall on one of their do's, and it is nice to work together, it doesn't have to be about their procedures, there are other little bits you can do, and by sharing tips (like we do on here), you might be able to change things for the better, as sometimes you might not know about other avenues (like getting thigns cheaper online through things like VetUK), CatChat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 16:22:14 PM »
I can never understand why different cat rescue's aren't willing to work together

I tend to agree but see the problem from both sides. e.g. even with branches of the same rescue sometimes the standards are so different (although if all followed the guidelines they would be equal). and then it makes it very difficult and frustrating  working with a rescue whose standards are below what you think is necessary.

I don't see why Ela. Its not as though they have to adopt each others procedures.
I'm in fact struggling to see what would stop me helping out with another rescue - apartfrom helping out finacially which we would probably not be able to do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 16:09:46 PM »
I can never understand why different cat rescue's aren't willing to work together

I tend to agree but see the problem from both sides. e.g. even with branches of the same rescue sometimes the standards are so different (although if all followed the guidelines they would be equal). and then it makes it very difficult and frustrating  working with a rescue whose standards are below what you think is necessary.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 14:22:45 PM »
Good luck, i help more than one rescue out, and as Angie says, you just have to think about time commitments in case you end up being too rushed. CP were fussy about me helping out CAT77, as i was going to help out the two, but I am much happier now with the smaller rescue, and I know I have made a difference. The other thing to consider is that even if there are a few things you dont agree with, you might be able to get them to change their ways, or help them save money, so can help more.
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 14:08:54 PM »
I can never understand why different cat rescue's aren't willing to work together.  Certainly in our area there are very few that will happilly work together, which you would think would be to everyone's benefits.  Although that said you will always get the back stabbing and 'we can do it better' mentality in anything you do in life!

CS - I would say see for yourself and deem what you think to be the truth and decide from there what you can or can't do to help.  If they truly need your help they'll bite your arm off.  That said, on the other hand, don't be put off if they are a little untrusting at first.  We too can be like that in certain situations and always take any offer of help with a bag of salt as very often they never come through or do to our detriment.  Stick with it and once you can gain their trust adn show you're genuine I'm sure you'll find working with a smaller rescue beneficial and rewarding in many many ways.

If CP object, which I personally think they shouldn't as so long as you feel you can provide the time / services to each then that is your choice.  They cannot dictate to you about who you help and when.

good to hear how you get on... sounds very exciting.  I know I've never looked back since getting involved with CATS.

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 11:40:06 AM »
Good for you.

Definately don't believe anything you hear until you see it first hand.
I'm a help anyone out kind of gal myself and over the past few months have been involved with the RSPCA neutering/chipping scheme, CP leafleting and taking in a couple of cats for them (in return they are paying for neutering). (among other things :rofl:)

Anyway, apart from being sacked by the local CP a couple of years ago when I picked up messages once a week (they told me they felt my involvement with covcats was a conflict) there are no problems. In fact I truely think that the charities SHOULD work more closely as that the best way they can all survive. We've taken cats from the PDSA (the latest one being titch) and it does irk me that they cannot help us out when it comes to vet treatment (I think they should be allowed to treat our cats at cost or cost and a tiny bit - which is much more than they get from the general public as I noticed when picking up titch they spen 60K last year but received only 10k in donations!).

CP have the funds to do neutering schemes, we do not - yet we all benefit by the hard work they put in (and me a little bit) and I think it strengths us all to play to our strengths. At the end of the day, each of us is free to do what we do in our own ways.

perhaps I've been watching too much Star Trek - Federation of Cat Rescue and all that!!

Just one word of warning, do think about how much you do in total. Some days I can be quite bored and feel I'm not doing much more than looking after the foster cats and on other days there is far too much to do (shopping, delivering, vet runs. website, collecting cats, fundraising, leafleting for CP ......) so just make sure that you don't Max yourself out as far as commitments go incase on the really busy days you have to let someone down big time.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
Update...first contact has been made. I spoke to the branch coordinator last night. It seems they're a tightly run ship and a mini cluster of about three shelters. The closest one is walkable from my house and one of the main people lives seconds away from me. I had no idea!

The lady I spoke to asked me lots of fantastic questions to make sure I was genuine and then gave me a number to call today. She also said they have people coming in to help during the week but no-one at weekends-perfect!

I'll keep you updated

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »
Yep, I love the oldies too and some of my favorites at the moments are the old ladies and gents who have such characters!

I suppose the thing you have to think about is that maybe you can bring about some changes if you went there, so that if things weren't ideal then at least being part of the team you could impose changes from the inside!!!

The thing is, if you start and you feel that's it's really not right, then there's nothing keeping you there and at least you tried something different and it might be wonderful and really fill up that bit that is missing with CP!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 12:14:16 PM »
I agree with what the others are saying, if you have the time go for it  :hug:  :hug:  I personally can't understand back biting amongst rescues, we are all here to do the same job but sadly you do get jealousy and all it does is affect the cats.  Any cat in a rescues care needs help regardless of which rescue it's in, the smaller independant ones are the ones that I would think need more help.  I know how many hours I have to put in with mine and it's 24/7 so if you've got a family etc, all this has to squeezed in with those hours as well.  Maybe, even if you can just help with the trays etc, it will lighten the load  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »
That sounds like one of the reasons I wasn't happy before. I was at a communal shelter of elderly cats (and I still maintain it's a unique and fantastic place where the cats are really loved as if they were in homes) but they sometimes weren't vet-checked before going in and I was exposed to a heartbreaking catflu incident. I haven't recovered fully from that yet.

I'm a real sucker for old and broken cats though and I need to feel I'm helping.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »
I would definately go and have a look and decide for yourself.

I have a local shelter near me, but although they are very good in terms of the conditions that cats are kept in and the lady is lovely, I don't agree with the fact that they don't check where the cats get re-homed, and we've had to clear up mess when they've re-homed to unsuitable situations. This is my choice however and is just something that I feel strongly about, but it's always just up to what you feel when you get there.

Good luck! I'm fortunate as I do a lot of admin and computer work, but also get to visit the cats in the vet pens and so get my cat "fix" there!

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »
Yeah, both greta points. BC I completely don't understand the backbiting and would have never believed you had I not been caught up in it. Any rescue that says "them or us" frankly doesn't deserve the help and that's what happened before. Fortunately I was apologised profusely to by the party who didn't put me in that position and they're who I help now.

I really hate that the animals suffer in these petty feuds.

I have very limited time but as you can see, I get away with using my computer at work so that's where I'm best placed! Also, working in advertising means I can come up with the little stories for the cats.

I know this is invaluable and I'm indebted to CatChat but I do miss the hands on cleaning litter trays, mending matted long-hairs and that sort of stuff so I'd like to spend just a couple of hours a week doing that too. That's why I've been thinking about shelter#2. She's right round the corner so if for example she had some kittens that needed feeding at a certain time and some ferals to trap I could be there in a matter of minutes to help out.

I think I'm gonna do it. It's getting me quite excited actually!  ;D

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
Don't' see why you can't help more than one rescue.

As a cat chat volunteer I help about 7 when it comes to their homing pages. Most I don't know where they are and will probably never visit but I still help them ;)

I'd say meet up with shelter 2 and have a chat with the lady, visit the shelter if you can and see how it goes. I know its a shocking thought but they may appreciate any advice etc.  :briggin:

If you don't feel its right for you then you can always help cp more or do both. All depends on what your able to do, time and what you want to do.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »
given the amount of backbiting that can go on in any animal-related activity, I would prefer to see with my own eyes what goes on - even a good reputation can mask a range of problems, as we each have our own standard of what is right. So me, I would go see what she has to offer and if you feel it is something you want to associate with then go ahead - that sort of involvement does not need to be known to the other party so the risk of fall-out is minimal

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Should I help another rescue? Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
Ok, so after the big fallout, I am still at CP and we're doing well with our CatChat page. Thing is, I don't feel as if I'm doing enough to help and the shelter is quite far away.

I'm totally going to keep up the CC page as it's incredibly valuable to us and the ladies who run the shelter have been great but I'm wondering about offering the same to a small, local, house-based rescue.

Thing is, the lady who's shelter I used to help at said bad things about shelter#2 like housing conditions and cats living in cages etc...but I'm not sure who to believe. I don't want to see cats kept in poor conditions, I'm not strong enough and I don't want to get taken advantage of as I felt I was before.

Should I ring shelter #2 and meet up with the lady? She seems nice and as an independant probably needs more support. Or should I try to do more for CP?

I'm leaning towards helping both but what do you reckon?

Link to CatChat