Author Topic: Overnight lodgers  (Read 6711 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Overnight lodgers
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2008, 22:30:59 PM »
YEah, this is the other pair that are reserved to go on Mon. They actually decided against these over the phone due to being a pair, came to look at Mia (our 2.5yo tortie) who liked the lady so much she bit her, so came to the decision to have these two - I dont think they had seen their pic when they rang, but even if they had, it isn't the best pic, and they are much nicer in the flesh.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2008, 22:20:34 PM »
Awww they are adorable  :Luv2: Must admit they don't look as though they have Bengal in them.

Have they been reserved? I have the memory of a goldfish at the moment  :-[

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 21:44:34 PM »
It is, I thought they would have gone slightly quicker to be honest, we were getting lots of calls for young cats just before we took them on, and they fizzled out as soon as we got some!! Shame, as the two people that rang me both wanted indoor only cats (Both these pairs have been indoors only). Here are the other pair -  one of their parents is supposedly a Bengal, yet apart from their size, and the slight sheen to their fur, they dont look much like them - even their owners admitted Bailey looks more like one than these two!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please spay your cat

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 21:28:48 PM »
That's great news  ;D

I hope your homing run continues  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 19:58:13 PM »
Well, they loved the person, so they are reserved and if all goes to plan, they will be picked up on Mon. We also have another pair of cats reserved to go on Mon too, I am really pleased we have been able to keep both pairs together. So, just the ones here, the pair at Kellys and a 2.5yo tortie to go now, fingers crossed our run continues.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 08:30:48 AM »
We have someone looking at the two of them on Thurs (same people Kelly, she is just coming early, as she is away this weekend now), fingers crossed they like her!!
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 07:55:05 AM »
i have to say I dont like Guiness - he doesn't look anything like it!! She did at least stick with the theme you picked though!! Mind you, i like Tibby for a name, although hate Cefur!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 20:51:53 PM »
Marty is a rubbish name - Guiness is much better - she always changes the names   :Crazy:
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 19:32:20 PM »
Thanks, me too. They are too active to be in a rescue.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 19:30:30 PM »
Keeping our finger crossed for them.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 18:00:07 PM »
i had a phone call from someone wanting kittens earlier, and they are going to ring the rescue tomorrow to make an appointment to view them - I have said we want to keep them together, so fingers crossed.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »
WAs at the rescue yesterday, and these two will either be goign together, or with other cats, as both are too high energy to be only cats. They dont actually play with each other that much, Marty (Guiness was renamed!!) tried to play with Bailey, but he wasn't having any of it.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 08:19:24 AM »
IT is, as long as they dont lose their paper, it has address and tel no of hte vets on, all they have to do is ring and take them there. I do agree with you about older cats being better though, and I think for some new owners, older kittens would be better, as they are that bit more settled then.

Me too, CC page is bang up to date, so will see what enquiries we get in
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 08:17:26 AM »
actually, our kittens dont work out more expensive, as if they take their adoption paper to our vet, neutering is included in the adoption fee. This also gives us the chance to check who has had them done, so we dont have to do as many follow up calls.

Really - thats great - and leaves no excuse for people not to get it done!! I bet some folk still don't bother which must be frustrating!!

I hope these two are re-homed soon. I am sure Bailey's unusual markins will draw people's attention and they both just look adorable - good luck with this pair!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »
actually, our kittens dont work out more expensive, as if they take their adoption paper to our vet, neutering is included in the adoption fee. This also gives us the chance to check who has had them done, so we dont have to do as many follow up calls.
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 08:08:49 AM »
I find it strange that people just want kittens too - which would turn out more expensive as they will need neutered in the future and they don't stay small and cuddly forever!!

The benefit of an older cat or even an older kitten I think far out weight the cute factor of a young kitten! But that is just my view of course - I much prefer my sleeping 11 year old new boys to the idea of two young kittens running up my curtains lol!!! :rofl:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 07:52:13 AM »
We dont either, so we are hoping it works (it only went up on Sat, we are monitoring it for a month - the people looking at Frankie tonight think it is reasonable - and as he had an undescended testicle, he could have cost around £100 to be neutered if not already done by us). What I find odd is people are happy to ask for 2 kittens, but I rarely get asked for 2 cats, and I know it was touch and go with Shabbas home last year due to me wanting him to go with Kizzy.
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 21:54:55 PM »
If they don't get on brill then fair enough but I don't think £40 per cat is too much to ask and if that puts people off adopting a pair then hmmmmm are they going to be committed to the cats for their life time. I know £80 is a lot of money to most but then so is the cost of insurance, pet food, litter, toys etc etc. Maybe I am just being naive but I would really hope that £40 each would not put people off!!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 13:47:03 PM »
The main thing it depends on is whether the cats get on - not all cats that come in together get on. My impresssion with these two was that Guiness overshadows Bailey, I could barely get Bailey to play as Guiness was constantly there to get at things, even when I tried to distract him with something else, and despite being the smaller, he was the first in the food and did push Bailey out (separate bowls mind!!), so wonder if they would be better separated. We dont seem to get a lot of calls for pairs of adults, although people are happy to take on 2 kittens, and I sometimes wonder if our adoption fee puts people off (£40 per cat/kitten, so would be £80 for the 2), although a lot dont know that when they ring us about just one cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 23:31:57 PM »
I think it's a shame splitting them up especially if they get on well together.  What does it depend on?  One of our local rescues, I think they charge £65 per cat/kitten or something, quite often siblings they have in there do get split up because not everyone will pay £130 for a couple of cats.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »
Depends really - I have put on our rehoming page we want them to go together.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 20:13:41 PM »
If they come in together, do they try and rehome them together or split them if someone just wants one  :shy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 20:12:52 PM »
Hopefully, they are at the rescue now, so it is her call.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 20:11:36 PM »
Will you be rehoming them both together?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 20:10:16 PM »
I know, I doubt he will be hard to home, and Bailey is an unusual tabby - i have had so many 'different looking' tabbies now. I dont think they are from the same litter as they are so different, both in looks and in size. They will be booked in to be neutered next week (Bailey is a lot bigger than Guiness in that dept too!!), and then we can rehome them. They have been deflead today, and will be wormed tomorrow.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 20:06:34 PM »
Awww what a gorgeous boy Guiness is, they are both gorgeous but he is  :wow:  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 20:07:21 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 20:02:00 PM »
Pics, as you can see, Guiness is tiny, and Bailey has a gorgeously spotty side.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 15:05:53 PM »
I wish my local branch were nice, but I wont support them as they put FIV+ cats to sleep, and when I asked about old cats, they hadn't had anything healthy over the age of 12, which I thought odd. I do however like the rescues local RSPCA branch as they are the opposite with both those things. The one positive thing I have had from my local branch is putting found cats on their national database.
Just waiting for the camera batteries to charge JS, they have also been renamed today at the rescue, they are now Bailey and Guiness - and Bailey doens't like going in front opening carriers, I have some nasty scratches from trying to put him in one this morning - fortunately, he was fine with the top opener
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »
Pictures, pleeaaase Desley. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »
I think it's a shame when rescues don't help each other out, after all we are in the same boat and hopefully want the same for the animals in our care.  I first got involved with our local RSPCA after being invited to one of their committee meetings  :Crazy:  :Crazy:    Being a nosy cow I went to a few more and eventually got asked to join.  I do think by being involved, small changes can be made as you have as much say as anyone else and get to help decide where the money goes.  They spend an awful lot on the spaying and neutering, also vaccinating and microchipping schemes for both cats and dogs.  Ours are also fantastic when it comes to helping the ferals, they cover all my neutering costs and without them, I really couldn't get them all done.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 00:40:57 AM »
Well, I know you do have a good relationship with your local branch. You have no idea how much we wish we did.  :tired: Mind you, I did drop a spare case of soon-to-be out of date cat food off to their support shop today, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite.  :rofl:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 00:36:06 AM »
 :hug: I just hear so much  :censored: that I know are lies, not just about the RSPCA but others as well, and you only have to see on forums how many people take everything as written.  I personally prefer to learn the truth before I make judgements and it would be nice if others learnt to do the same  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 00:30:33 AM »
That's fair enough, Dawn.  :hug: :hug:  ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 00:03:48 AM »
Des, I would have done the same, I was referring to PB's comment below

That's just plain outrageous of the RSPCA...  :censored: :censored: :censored:

Anyone can say anything about any rescue including the RSPCA and it might not be true, and this adds to why they get a bad name.  It may be true but this is something I have never heard before, so would prefer to check it out before I agree with the above comments.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 00:04:43 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 23:58:27 PM »
Dawn, it was the Rochdale RSPCA (I personally have issues with some of their policies, and both them and CP often dish out our number) - while the bloke might have been telling lies to get us to take them, what would you have done if you had an e-mail saying that the RSPCA wanted a lot of money and they felt their only option was to dump them? Bear in mind also, my only initial info was they were kittens, and I had no idea what area they were in, i.e. how close to a busy road.
PB, that last sentence is pretty much what the e-mail I got said, that they felt they had no choice. Out of interest, I might ring up the branch myself on Mon, but I'm afraid I wasn't goign to waste time and risk him feeling I was calling him a liar, therefore not letting us help.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 23:52:26 PM »
We had a call tonight from a Vicar. Really desparate, he was. A stray was stuck in his living room behind his sofa that had snuck in through the cat flap. He couldn't get near it...  :tired: A few emails and phone calls flew around our branch and someone called him back. We then find his wife is an ex RSPCA Inspector. She asked if we could deliver a trap. We said she'd have to come pick one up, so she said she'd call the local RSPCA coordinator instead and refered to her by her name.  >:(  We are getting so many cases of the RSPCA telling people to call us instead. And now even their own are doing it! Why???  And now this! Asking for money before they will rescue kittens. >:( >:( The correct thing is to say No if they really can't help. There's always a next rescue to turn to. That kind of attitude could make people give up at the first hurdle and dump the cats.  :tired:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 23:35:47 PM »

I will check to see if this is the norm, as I've never heard of this before  :Crazy:   They may have just said that to get the cats in elsewhere, it's better not to believe everything you hear until you know it's true.  Out of interest, what RSPCA centre did they contact?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 23:38:22 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 23:29:49 PM »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 23:26:36 PM »
He just said they wanted a donation to help - we said we woudl appreciate one, but we would never say they have to pay so much or we wont help. Fortunately, their brothers partner adopted her two cats from us(Shabba and Kizzy for those who remember them), so said she would get in touch, as he felt his only option was to dump them
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 23:23:24 PM »
Was asked to help with two kittens yesterday, as the RSPCA wanted £70 to help

Why did the RSPCA want £70 to help?  I've heard a lot of bad things about them but never this  :Crazy:

Link to CatChat