Author Topic: Exotic BooBoo and Moggy BamBam  (Read 10874 times)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Re: Exotic BooBoo and Moggy BamBam
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2008, 22:01:31 PM »
Poor BamBam - you can almost feel the shyness radiating from him. I do hope that he finds a wonderful home very soon. As for BooBoo; well, what a beautiful moon-face!!! I am sure someone will fall in love with this pair . . . . . . .

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 21:38:53 PM »
Bam Bam is gorgeous and as for BooBoo awwwwwwwww  :Luv2:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 21:37:01 PM »
Ok, I'm going to bring this thread back now as much as I adore Persian banter!

Sadly BamBam is very nervous so all the pictures of him are similar but here's one:

And here's another of BooBoo:

Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 19:47:13 PM »
Bless him, you wouldnt catch one of mine sat soaking wet in a sink   :Luv:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 19:38:11 PM »
Ok, one more persian pic. Corporal Smokey's bath time!  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 18:05:15 PM »
Thats a good idea Amy  ;D

Have to say that I love exotics and the persians on Purrs have caused me to get quite attached to them too  ;D

I think Bam Bam should not be forgotten and a nice picture would be great, one not through the bars, as it were  ;)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2008, 17:55:30 PM »

ps what ever happened to cosmic with her girl after the nose op ?

Mango !
I wondered about her the other day. Just found an old PM so looked to see when Cosmic had lasted signed in and it was 1st Dec 07

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
CandyShandy, that Christmas picture of FooFoo would look ace as a Christmas card. I'd certainly buy some! Might be worth sending it to Tan  ;) .

Also, I think it's ok that this has turned into a discussion on persians and exotics. More people reading may mean more chance of homing these two wonderful cats (I do feel a bit bad about missing out on the gorgeous moggy BamBam who is here too!)

I'll pop another pic of the cats on the thread later to bring it back to where it started but until then I'm quite enjoying the persian banter. I've learned so much from all of you and still feel there's loads I don't yet know!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 23:45:43 PM »
Fabulous cats -and another persian catwoman here .
See my thread for pics of my 4 -all rescues .
Winstons owners just didn''t want him anymore and someone told me about him and them about me -so i rang and they ask if i could fetch him -so i did -no real explanation why only  they were moving ?!- coat really matted and had to be shaved completely -wasn''t expecting to get another cat either at that time -was also going on holiday in 1 week  too and had arranged for a friend to look after the 2 i had (didn''t have bungly till later ) Couldn''t say i had another one, couldn''t mix with the others ,go out and was sleeping in the same room as she would be -so poor Winston had to go to vets and be completely shaved , as it was November too -i bought him the smallest dog coat i could find ( pity it was reddy/orange and clashed with his colour !)
He then had to go to the catteries for a week till i came back -he had also taken £150 of my holiday spending money to the vets ! -shaved, blood tested and vaccinated -not done since he was a kitten .
He had a heated bed there and pen !
Never left any of them since - not even 1 night.
Smartie and Sophie both cats protection and bungly from Chapelhouse - all in pretty good condition considering.
Smartie was in a pen and hated it -howling and it was freezing cold- still hates baskets (vets) and car journey -howls ! the vet is 14 miles each way too !!!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 22:57:53 PM »
What a babe foxy is!!!!  :Luv2: :Luv2:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 22:38:25 PM »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 22:26:29 PM »
Hi Sam,

My search for a new persian adoption is what made me find this forum . . . please take a look at my very first (and very long  :shy:) original post so you can find out a little bit more about me/us (it's a family quest!  :)) http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12042.80.html

I'm not sure where you are (we are in Brighton but are prepared to travel) but many kind people here are keeping an eye out for us so if you see a Persian (preferably red!) coming your way or hear from anyone else, I would be *very* grateful. As I said in my original post, we are NOT looking for a kitten (unless rescue!) and we don't want to get a cat via a breeder.

Thanks again!
 :thanks:

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
  • Jessica pooh,Chi man,Chicken
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 21:59:18 PM »
Harna,
          I'm sorry for your loss just found out how hard it is  :'( They were obviously very lucky to have had you in there life to!.
There is a pedigree cat rescue lady who comes to the surgery were i work would you like me to find out if she has any Persians up for adoption ??.

Candyshandy,
                    Your fluffmonsters are very gorgeous !!! Fabian looks funny with his big fluffy head and white body hehe he looks better with his hair though :Luv:
Sol and Foofoo are very cute to !.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 21:58:24 PM »
Yes you are right but I too tired  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 20:50:24 PM »
Perhaps a mod could split the thread and call it 'Persian bonkers' or something.

The thread should really be about the gorgeous Booboo and Bambam and finding them a forever home  :Luv:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 20:46:28 PM »
Gillian - Suzie looks so gorgeous in that picture - you are right; there is a certain 'persian' way of sitting!

(Apologies - I seem to have taken this thread a little off track - hope I don't get into trouble with the moderators . .. . :shy: :innocent:  )

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 20:42:31 PM »
Sam - thanks! Sadly, Marble and Mahla both passed away within a couple of months of each other at the end of last year. Marble was about 16 and died peacefully at home with us. Mahla was being investigated for severe diarrhea which could not be attributed to stress or diet and eventually underwent some exploratory surgery. This sadly showed that she had huge and inoperable tumours in her intestines and bowel and we were advised that it was kinder not to wake her from the anaesthetic. We were not sure of her age either, but think she was only about 4 or 5. All of our cats have unknown histories as they have come from rescue centres. We just feel lucky to have had them in our lives, even if it's not been for as long as we would have liked. Marble was with us for nearly 13 years whereas Mahla was with us for just over a year. We have their ashes, and those of our old cat Leo, in little carved wooden boxes on the dresser in our bedroom.

CandyShandy - my heart jumped when I saw your picture of Fabian - he looks just like our beloved Leo. I don't have any photos of him on this computer, even though the house is covered with images of him.

We are currently on a quest to adopt a new Persian into our family and I have to say, Sol is our ideal! What an amazing chap - we are green with envy !  And Foo Foo - well, she sits just like our 'Noosh - ah, aren't they so beautiful  . . . and don't they just know it?!!

Thanks for the info about Himalayan. I didn't think there was much in it and now I know!      ;)

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 19:55:40 PM »
Here are some piccies of my fluffmonsters  :)

Fabian with fur

Fabian - baldy :evillaugh:

An old piccie of me and Sol - he hasn't changed much  ;)

And my gorgeous Madam Foofoo (my fave piccie of her) ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 19:44:50 PM »
Himalayans are what the Americans call the persian colourpoints  :shy:

My Foofoo's nose is quite high and she has the flatest face out of the three but I wouldn't really say she is 'extreme' - except when she's waking me up in the middle of the night  :evillaugh:

LOL!  :rofl: - I think Foofoo has a lovely face from what I can see of that photo you posted, certainly not extreme (in looks anyway!), in fact she has a similar look to my Suzie who won at some shows with the lady who had her for 10 yrs before she came to me. Here's Suzie, sitting in very similar position to that pic of Foofoo - its a persian thing!!!

Anoosh is a blue point - in fact, we have been told that she is Himalayan, not Persian but to be honest,

Yes, as Candy pointed out, Himalyan is the US term for what we call a Colourpoint Persian or Colourpoint Longhair. In the US they see the Himalayan as separate breed from persian - but it aint!!

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 19:40:31 PM »

My Foofoo's nose is quite high and she has the flatest face out of the three but I wouldn't really say she is 'extreme' - except when she's waking me up in the middle of the night  :evillaugh:

would love to see some pictures of your lot  :innocent:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 19:25:37 PM »

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 19:19:35 PM »
Your cats are really nice!! how old are they ??. I have a British short hair and i really notice how he struggles with breathing compared to my tonk but he has what you say a open face. but thats when he has been running around like a headless chicken hehe bless him.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 19:08:11 PM »
This is a really entertaining thread - and that website with the Persians of old!!! Brilliant!

All of my 4 have been 'open faced' persians; in that they have flatter faces than most other cat breeds and although they don't have such pronounced noses they do still have noses . . . if that makes sense!  I do have to confess that although I am a lover of the breed, the ULTRA faces are not attractive to me - I've seen poor wheezy, snuffly cats that have their nose either on a line or higher than their eyes - very bizarre and concerns me that they have been bred so highly. What I love about Persians are their little cobby bodies (bit like me!  :briggin:) and their *huge* owl-like eyes. Of course, that's the looks dealt with; like all breeds they have distinct personalities and they have amazing little characters - like having the companionship of a dog without the early morning walks!

Regarding coat quality; our first persian, Leo, was a self-black. He was partially shaved when he came to us but had an amazing coat when it grew back - really thick and rarely got knotted. He had what I would describe as a cursory brush every day - he never really seemed to need much of a full groom. In 8 years of having him, he never once had a bath!  Marble and Mahla were dilue calico and their coat was a *nightmare*. It seemed really floaty and fine and would matt as soon as it was looked at. They both needed a LOT of grooming to keep the knots at bay. Mahla actually had to  have a lion cut (euk!) due to  her state when we first adopted her.Unfortunately, Mahla came to us with ringworm and infected the entire household (cats and humans) before we realised. This meant that I had to bath 3 persian cats, twice a week, for about 4 months. Marble, a grand old lady of 16 who was rather set in her ways, had never been bathed before and SCREAMED. It was unpleasant, to say the least.  Anoosh is a blue point - in fact, we have been told that she is Himalayan, not Persian but to be honest, I am not sure what the difference is - and she has the same coat quality as Leo had. Barely ever needs a brush (but she still gets one anyway!) and she's only been bathed once since the ringworm episode as she got paint on her (brushed past a freshly painted door  :'()

It's amazing the variants in persians - but they're still a fascinating breed!

Pics: Marble, Anoosh, Mahla.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 19:02:26 PM »
They look like a different cat. but I'm used to them now and i quite like the look of the breed now. But obviously health issues come first, there are lots of breeds of animals that have the same problem with there breathing. Still cute though.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 18:25:52 PM »
I love Boo boo and those eyes  ;D

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 18:17:07 PM »
I obviously have the odd one then because Foofoo's is definitely the worst out of my lot - typical!  :-:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 17:51:49 PM »
Gillian the persians in that link are so different!  :shocked:

I know! - and it made me laugh though the picture of the 'perfect chinchilla' - LOL - did you see that coat?!!! :shocked: - looks like dreadlocks! - mind you we are talking 1920s or so - they didnt have all the shampoos etc like we have now.

My Sam, who is quite 'typey' doesnt have any breathing problems, as his nostrils are of decent size, but Lucy has teeny tiny nostrils and does wheeze a bit.

whereas Sam looks perfect!

Apart from his tongue LOL! Sam's coat is a dream to groom - in fact hardly ever needs grooming, just a bath and blow dry every 3 months or so - but then most colourpoint coats are easier than solid colours to look after.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 17:06:08 PM »
I think they're ok to a point (but where do you draw the line?).

I think from Gillian's pictue of Sam, he's similar in type to Smokey and they're probably about the limit of comfort IMHO. Smokey's quite special because he generally needs a little extra care with personal hygiene whereas Sam looks perfect!

I didn't notice BooBoo having any difficulty breathing at all but that's not to say she doesn't.

The animal's health should be paramount and is far more important than designer cats.

Wasn't there something similar I read about pug dogs? I may of course be dreaming....

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 16:48:41 PM »
Gillian the persians in that link are so different!  :shocked:
I think the ultra faces should be stopped, they regulate the bob tail breeds because of health/pain issues, the poor persians who cant breathe are suffering too  :(

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 14:34:45 PM »
Yeah I have to admit although I quite like the look of ultra faces, it causes Smokey no end of breathing snuffles. No looks are worth making an animal suffer for. The really extreme type, Peke-faced are outlawed in this country I believe, due to the breathing difficulties they have.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 14:29:02 PM »
I'm not keen on the extreme faces either

I think the felines in question would also agree with you gillian.

ps what ever happened to cosmic with her girl after the nose op ?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 14:24:34 PM »
Thats whats what person i known has, totally flat faces
Sorry but they look like mongies ( :rofl:) and have problems with food getting up these noses when they eat

I'm not keen on the extreme faces either, in either persians or exotics - and this is from someone who actually has some quite typey (but not ultra) faced persians! - Sam for instance in my signature, and Lucy who has a very 'flat' face (again not ultra). But they are about 10yrs old - and I had them before I really knew anything about face shapes etc! Persian/exotic face shapes have changed so much over the years to become flatter and more extreme (high noses in line with top of eyes :shocked: ) - if you see older pics of persians you really notice the difference - check this out: http://www.breeds.traditionalcats.com/BreedInfo/FAQTPersian/PersianHistory.htm

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 13:52:46 PM »

Yes, open faces are not so extreme as the very typey/ultra faced (some might say extreme!)

Thats whats what person i known has, totally flat faces
Sorry but they look like mongies ( :rofl:) and have problems with food getting up these noses when they eat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
It's possibly an open face, I've not come across closed before. I'm sure Gillian will know.

Sam x, Exotics are a crossbreed between Persian and British Shorthair. They can display qualities from either breed but you often get the shorthair coat and the ultra face. I get confused when you get into long-haired exotics! One thing's for sure, they're all  :Luv:

Yes, open faces are not so extreme as the very typey/ultra faced (some might say extreme!) persians and exotics. Bambam IS quite typey isnt she? You do get longhaired cats in litters of exotics, called variants, and looking exactly like a long haired persian. You get british shorthair variants too - I've got a grooming customer whose cat has very long fur, but he is in fact a british shorthair variant - due to the use of persians in british breeding programmes.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 00:07:50 AM »
It's possibly an open face, I've not come across closed before. I'm sure Gillian will know.

It will be an open face - I just wasn't sure of the correct name. They are both lovely  :Luv2:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 22:50:42 PM »
Someone i know has 11 exotics - got to say not my cup of tea but still lovely xxxx

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 22:14:35 PM »
Firstly - CAN'T HAVE THEM CS  :evillaugh:

Secondly - what a couple of beauties - shouldnt be too long to rehome them

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 21:55:59 PM »
I thought he looked abit like my chicken thats why i like him so much. you cant beat there chunky heads can you. very cute. !!!!! :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 21:28:53 PM »

Sam x, Exotics are a crossbreed between Persian and British Shorthair. They can display qualities from either breed but you often get the shorthair coat and the ultra face. I get confused when you get into long-haired exotics! One thing's for sure, they're all  :Luv:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 21:03:37 PM »
My friend has an exotic short haired called Mini who is the double of this little lady!! I had to do a double take - although the faces are slightly different so she maybe has another type of face (is it a closed face???). My friend is just Persian daft!!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat