Author Topic: 'Frozen' kitten  (Read 5878 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Re: 'Frozen' kitten
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 19:01:25 PM »
That's a lovely story - well done and lots of good wishes to Chance in his new home.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 18:13:05 PM »
Thats brilliant news PB and what a lucky boy Chance is to be in your care. Think you deserve a huge Well Done for all the excellent work you have done with this colony.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 17:56:02 PM »
Aww, that is wonderful, fingers crossed he improves quickly and can go and join his siblings.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: 'Frozen' kitten UPDATE!
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 17:39:30 PM »
Chance has been chosen!  :naughty:

Although he's still on meds, I remembered that the best friend of the lady that adopted his brother and 2 sisters called me a few weeks back asking if there was any more like them.  :evillaugh: She came this afternoon and has fallen in love.

Little Chance still needs to fully recover, but he's got a lovely new Mummy and Daddy to go to when he's fit.  :wow:

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
Aww, good luck with him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 17:11:55 PM »
another little piccy of him.  :naughty:

My poor old chair! He's just like his brothers and sisters were before Crimbo.  :evillaugh:

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 14:02:55 PM »
Awhhh, bless
That's good news ;D ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »
Chance has just amazed us all with how fast he's turned into a fusspot.  :wow:

He went for a check up and for treatment for his flu today. He was as good as gold and sat on the scale listening intently to everything that was being spoken about him.  :) He does have 2 testicles, the vet found, but they are less than half the size they should be at his age so that was probably why I couldn't find them.  :-[ Apart from being generally very small and a bit 'runty', and fluey and still recovering from ear mites and worms, fleas, etc., you would never tell he hadn't actually been inside a house or been handled before in his life.  :naughty:

As soon as he's finished his meds and been given the all clear from the vet, he'll be up for adoption.  8)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 15:47:22 PM »
Take a Chance on Me you should start singing to him now PB

He is devine  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 23:09:18 PM »
I couldn't seriously think of naming a pet after my ex. It would be like calling the poor soul Thatcher or Stalin.  :rofl:

Alfie is nice but I think we had one of those last year?  :shify: But I will settle for Chance - it was sheer chance that I put the trap over the hole in the shed just as the little tyke was making a dart for freedom. For two months this little one just stared at me through the brambles and I thought we would never get him!  :innocent:

So can I have Chance, Sharon?  :naughty:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 22:43:05 PM »
I thought of Morphe or Morpheus today! But just an idea..
BTW we have had a Paul.. You need to come up with something far more original!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 20:31:47 PM »
Well, I'm now certain this is a little boy, but he's cryptorchid.  :sneaky: So I need to think of a boy's name. I was thinking of Paul after my ex because he didn't have any  :censored: either!  :rofl: :rofl: Any suggestions?  :)

Maybe it's a knack or maybe it's a sign of just how adaptable these little souls are, but he has just spent 10 minutes asleep in my arms after I sang him off to sleep with Little Bunny Foo Foo.  :evillaugh: What was I worrying about?  :shy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 18:04:25 PM »
It has alcohol in it so you need to let it evapourate before going near the cat.

:evillaugh:

cat man do

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 20:34:48 PM »
You can get a "feliway" cat pheromone spray that you can spray on your hands.

It helps calm cats in stressful situations. It contains happy cat hormones that calm.

Helped a lot in a recent rescue I got.

It has alcohol in it so you need to let it evapourate before going near the cat.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 17:14:50 PM »
These are the best I could do juggling the pen door, camera, etc. Hopefully, His Lordship will be back from his trip at the weekend and can help me get some better pics.

Isn't it strange how they all think the litter tray is a bed to start with? Last year when I was using some cheap clay, I had a litter that went bright orange.  :evillaugh:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 16:49:46 PM »
She`s beautiful PB and it sounds like you are making great progress already,your vet sounds ok too. Definately need more pics when you have time and Chilly kitty is more confident.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 13:20:31 PM »
She's doing well today. I managed to pick her up and with a vice-like grip, give her a little cuddle and I sang a nursery rhyme to her for about a minute or so. She relaxed a tad and closed her eyes for a while. She was probably thinking I need sectioning.  :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, Desley. She's been listening to Radio 4. Lots of talking, etc.  ;)

I think she's going to be okay for rehoming eventually so I'm not putting her back. That's if she is a really a girl because I'm not too sure now. We're still a little protective of our private area, you know!  :innocent:

I got some antibiotics for her flu from the vet. He dealt with her brothers and sisters before Christmas and he says it's okay to leave her a while before bringing her in, unless I get worried about her, of course.  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »
Poor baby, it is good that she is eating though, and i think she will just need lots of patience and time - do you have a radio you could leave on for her?
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 06:22:47 AM »
yep gill, sounds like a perfectly normal reaction to me. Stark terror will cause any animal to 'freeze'. soft tones, dim light and veeeery gentle approach, always on the alert for the freeze to snap are the only sensible approach. She is terrified.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 23:57:32 PM »
She sounds to me like a normal kitten who has been very confused and will learn slowly all the new things that are good about humans.

She obviously gets some enjoyment from a stroke but is scared to be off the ground, which is not that strange.

Sounds like she is also lonely and wants something to cudddle up to maybe .....like a warm hotwaterbottle in a blanket.

She needs time and TLC thats all  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 22:34:51 PM »
Well, this kitten is doing my head in.  :-:

What made me think she was frozen was that she doesn't try to get away from me when I get near her, but she doesn't go out of her way to interact either. She just curls in a ball in the litter tray when I'm not trying to touch her. And when I walk into the room, she dives back into the tray and into her little ball at the speed on light. :(

We've had some dramatic developments today and it's still only a little over 24 hours since she was caught.  :shocked:

She now seems to enjoy me making a fuss of her. When I rub her ears, she closes her eyes with pleasure and she squirms around rubbing against my arm. And she is rolling over for me to tickle her tummy.  :shify: It's almost as if she's used to being touched and stroked but has never been picked up before. I have tried a few times to pick her up and she went bananas.  :evillaugh:

The good news in that she has eaten a bowl of wet food and a few biscuits when I wasn't looking.  :)

Anyone else had a kitten like this before?  :scared:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 18:31:56 PM »
Sasa freezes with fear when she is at the vets but the vet said one can only go up to the point just before she snaps and that was trying to weigh her  :rofl:

Another vet went one step too far and got bitten just like T said  ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 14:41:35 PM »
You do get a few in that are "frozen" with fear but they tend to come round after a couple of days.  Once she realises she's not going to come to any harm, you'll see a turn around in her which it sounds as if you're seeing now with her letting you fuss her.  If she's not too bad with the snuffles, you could hold off taking her in but it may be worth seeing if you're vet stocks Terramycin which is a powdered antibiotic,  this is great for colds and basically can be mixed in with the food.  The t shirt idea is a good one and I'm sure you'll win her round, she looks as if she needs her cuddles and if she was a fuss pot with the lady where she came from, you're half way there.  Good luck hun, I hope she manages to eat today, re the litter tray, again some won't use the loo for a couple of days but hopefully she'll go today or tomorrow  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 14:43:27 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:55:51 PM »
Aw bless...she's gorgeous PB!  ;)

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »
OHHhhh PB what a scrummy little girl  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: - such an angelic face.

Cyber hugs to her xxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:53:38 AM »
What a cutie!

We’re still not at 100% friendly with Quinn who still runs from us both and if you do manage to catch Miss Velcro then she’ll sit there trembling with those big eyes looking up at you.

Wish we could speak cat. It would make life so much easier!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:37:35 AM »
Here's the little darlin'  :) ;)

Thanks for the tip about the t-shirt, Teresa. I'll do that!  :wow:

I've just spent the last hour tickling and stroking her and she seems to not mind that. I also gave her a good combing, as I like to get them used to the feel of being groomed as soon as possible. She closed her eyes when I was tickling her ears and chin so maybe she's relaxing a bit.  :shocked: Then she started wriggling around and suddenly twisted her head and rolled over to show me her tum.  :Crazy: Mind you, I'm not sure if she wanted a belly rub or was just trying to stop me stroking her head.  :rofl:

I still can't get near her rear end but I can see she's a bit messy there and needs a clean. It's not diarreah as she hasn't been to the loo at all, but heaven knows what she's been eating out there so I'm not surprised she's a bit glued up.  :sick:

I'm pretty sure the flu strain she's got must be the same as her siblings had. It didn't affect their mouths at all, just the eyes and noses. If I was worried about her immediately, I'd shove her in a basket now. But I've got 2 in the vets today that need collecting tonight. Plus another going for a check over. I think it would startle her too much and I couldn't focus on her with all the others to juggle.  :tired: I think she can wait a day as she's breathing okay and not stressed with it.  :shy:

But I wish she would eat and use the tray.  :shify:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:41:40 AM »
Oh the poor little darling  :(

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
Sometimes the little ones do freeze in fear,when this happens I make the most of the opportunity for gentle strokes, little circular movements on her head will really help; do be wary though some of them reward you with a bite when they suddenly snap out of it.I often put one of my worn T shirts in with ferals,I find it gets them used to my scent in a gentle sort of way.
If you feel really confident a little smelly food  on your hand and gently rubbed onto her mouth or front leg may help, could be she is unable to smell it,try to avoid sardines and things that smart as she may have an ulcerated tongue. Stressed as she is I would bag her up and take her to the vets so she can start treatment straight away. You did a wonderful job with the others so I am confident you will bring her round in no time. sending lots of positive vibes your way.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
'Frozen' kitten
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:51:42 AM »
Dawn, Teresa, anybody?  :scared:

Before Christmas, I dealt with a feral type situation spread across the gardens of a residential area. I managed to catch 6 kittens, all had the flu but recovered and all got rehomed. However, there was 1 of them I just couldn't catch. She was far too smart and always managed to bury herself in some brambles just out of reach. The lady whose house it is is disabled and can't bend to scoop her up, but she reports this youngster comes running when she calls her and will rub around her legs when being fed.  :)

Yesterday, while trying to catch some of the adults for neutering, I finally succeeded in getting this last kitten.  :wow: But the thing is she's around 5 months now.  :shify: I decided it was worth trying to bring her round and am trying her in a kitten pen for a while. If it doesn't work after a couple of weeks, I'll get the vet to spay her and put her back. It'll be a shame but she will get fed and watched over.  :sneaky:

Thing is, she seems 'frozen' to me.  :scared: She cowers in the corner but she will let me touch and stroke her. No hissing of striking out but all the time I can feel her little body shaking with fear. I tried to lift her and she doesn't like that one bit, but I know it's only 24 hours. Thing is, I need her to come round a bit as she's got a streaming nose, like all the others had, and she'll need a jab of antibiotics to help her shift it. So I need to able to get her to the vet without it being a circus.  :doh:

Also, she has not tried to eat anything - not even in the middle of the night.  :-:

What should I do? Back off for a couple of days or keep handling her and talking softly?  :shy:

Link to CatChat