Author Topic: Alfie & Wilf - update!  (Read 46158 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: We can offer a home to a Persian cat (long post; sorry!)
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2008, 00:44:32 AM »
This is Wilf in his typical position - he's such a laid back cat! Our first persian was male and he used to sleep in exactly the same position! None of our females have ever done this! (It must be a bloke thing - ladies are far too refined   :shy: )

Nope, my Gypsy and Zeta (both blue-cream point persian females) do it - no refiinement there LOL!

Lovely pics - great to see they've settled in so well  :Luv2: Love that pic of the overflowing cat on the 'far too small for him' cat post LOL!  :evillaugh:

Think we better have a 'REDS' club LOL! - my Joe wants to join  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 00:49:11 AM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2008, 00:41:39 AM »
 :Luv2: The beautiful Sol!

He was our standard - he was exactly what we were looking for! And look what happened!   ;D

I wonder if it's because they are so big that they sleep on their backs like that? These two haven't done it . . . . yet . . . but our old Leo used to snore like nobody's business and one of us always had to get up and gently prod him!
 :rofl:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2008, 00:38:32 AM »
Yaaay - piccies!!!

They look so relaxed and happy. :Luv:

Great to see (and hear) that Annoosh is wanting to make friends too!

You are so lucky - you have 2 Solly's! ;)

Here's a laid back piccie of my Solly - we'd best not meet up because I'd end up taking the wromg cat home! :evillaugh:

And here's one of me and him so you can see the size

I'm so pleased they have settled in so well and I think they have landed on their paws  :evillaugh: ;)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2008, 00:36:55 AM »
So, there you go! Who would have thought we would all be *so* happy, *so* quickly?! :cheer: We can't quite believe it! All cats are special but these two; well, they've slotted in with us and 'Noosh as if they have always been here!  :Luv2:

And, just in case I hadn't put up enough pictures, here are a couple more!!!  :pic:

Wilf - not exactly slumming it . . . . .

Alfie - snoozing. . . .

Anoosh - only *slightly* disgruntled (pic taken on day 1 - look on face says it all, really!  :rofl:)

Wilf - coming to terms with a 6 year old's bedroom . . . .

There - that should be enough pictures . . . . . for now!!!!  :rofl: (I'm off to bed! - when I said midnight earlier, I *thought* I was joking!!!)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 00:37:54 AM by Harna »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2008, 00:24:00 AM »
Anoosh has adjusted really well to having two new, huge cats in HER house. Inital hissing and occasional growling if they got too close but now she seeks them out and finds a way to spend time with them . .  . .

This cat call drape himself over anything beautifully. . . .  . (sorry, don't know how to turn this pic around! ) Anoosh and her friend Mahla (RIP) used to BOTH sleep on this at the same time! Wilf barely fits!

Sweet boy Wilf!
And lovely boy Alfie!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2008, 00:12:09 AM »
Okay - evidence that these cats are chilled out and happy - all of these pictures were taken in the first two days that they have been with us - and they've only been with us since Tuesday evening!

Alfie = sitting up, Wilf = lying down. We have a blossoming forsythia bush in the front garden where small birds congregate and they had jumped up to take a closer look!

This is Wilf in his typical position - he's such a laid back cat! Our first persian was male and he used to sleep in exactly the same position! None of our females have ever done this! (It must be a bloke thing - ladies are far too refined   :shy: )

second to sleeping in the bath, Alfie likes to spend his time on the end of my daughter's bed. Here he is, just chillin'

Sorry - think you'll have to look sideways  :shocked: - both cats seem to  :Luv2: adore :Luv: our daughter! They spend as much time with her as possible - and have stories at bedtime with her, too!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 00:27:12 AM by Harna »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2008, 00:04:56 AM »
Oh - that's Wilf's front paw next to a 50 pence piece, btw!!  :briggin:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2008, 00:04:16 AM »
Did I mention that these cats are HUGE???!!!  :wow:

Take a look at this coin size comparison!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2008, 00:03:01 AM »
Very soon - just photobucketing now!

Want a taster?!

Here is a pic!!!

It's of Alfie and Wilf when they first arrived and met our daughter!

(hope it works)

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2008, 23:04:00 PM »
It must be getting near picture time...................is it?  Hope so!!
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2008, 21:09:57 PM »
New memory purchased yesterday, 'office' cleaned out todqay (has taken all day!  :( ) and now OH is installing memory. By midnight,  :shocked: I hope to get some new pictures up for you to see. In the meantime, please check the thread about renaming Alfie and Wilf and vote in the poll - if you haven't already!  ;D

Thanks!

;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2008, 01:28:27 AM »
Hope you get the pictures sorted cos they sound gorgeous  ;D

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2008, 13:06:04 PM »
So glad they have settled in -they sound absolutely adorable . :Luv: :Luv2:
Looking forward to seeing some pics soon.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2008, 12:43:30 PM »
Glad they are settling in so well  :)

Fingers crossed that your OH manages to get some new memory and we get to see the gorgeous Alfie and Wilf  :Luv2:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »
YAY, I can't wait to see them all happy in their lovely new home  :Luv:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
Okay - this is how bad it is on the picture front: my Mac shuts down if I plug my camera in! OH is off into town (hopefully today; if it's open) to the Mac shop to spend £100 on some new memory!  :Crazy:

So, pics of the Freds as soon as I can!   :wow:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #200 on: March 21, 2008, 08:49:49 AM »
They sound as if they are really settling in and introductions seem to be going well with Noosh.
 :Luv2:
Get me some piccies!!!!!!! ;)

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #199 on: March 21, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
That's lovely news! Purrs and headbutts to all three of them :Luv2:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »
Just a very quick update:

All cats settled in nicely. They are true gentleman and are allowing Noosh her space and if they have to walk past her, they slink with their bodies close to the ground. She growled and hissed a couple of times when they were first introduce but now she is fine - I think she was shocked by their size (2 lots of 2 x her!) They have such great little characters, this is what we have learned so far . . .

Wilf :Luv: chilled out cat (if he were a horse he would be described as 'bombproof'!), loves to have his tummy rubbed, quick to purr, loves to sit on the keyboard or in the bath (when it's empty.) Seems to behave like the older, more sensible brother. Loves catnip, adores our daughter although he's so heavy that if he sits on her knee for too long, she gets pins and needles! Follows us around like a little dog.

Alfie  :Luv2:  quite vocal, not quite as chilled as his brother, acts very kitten-y and is into EVERYTHING. Licks plastic and is obsessed with a little foam zoom-ball which he carries around the house in his mouth. If you throw or bounce the ball, he catches it either with his paws or in his mouth, first go! (will have to get someone younger to put video of this on YouTube!)  :) When he wants something, he sits next to you, shouting and tapping you with his paw. Not quite so keen to be picked up but is quick to sit with you.

I am starting to think that these cats used to live in a bungalow because they were a bit baffled with the stairs at first! They have worked them out but it take ages for them to walk down the stairs - they are still very cautious!  They are also *really* interested in our goldfish - my daughter has a couple of pretty big ones in a tank on the dresser in her bedroom and none of our other cats have ever been interested - until these two!

Anyway, I am hoping that I can get some pictures on here soon! (we've taken plenty!)
 :Luv:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:03:27 AM by Harna »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2008, 09:08:43 AM »
So pleased you finally have them home  :wow:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »
Aww, glad to hear they have settled in well.
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2008, 08:16:15 AM »
Brilliant   ;D ;D ;D - so happy they are home with you!! You have waited so long and it is just great
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2008, 07:19:13 AM »
Okay, well, we all got through the night okay!  :)

Despite making up a couple of beds for them, using their own blankets from the RSPCA, they decided to sleep side by side stretched out on the kitchen table. (the spare room, which was supposed to be their room for the next couple of weeks, is out of action due to the fact that it has the boiler in it - which has decided to go wonky and needs the usual succession of odd men to attempt to sort it out . . . . the kitchen is less than ideal but at least it's safe and warm . . . )

I woke just after 6am and went to see them. Then my daughter came downstairs too, and we spent the next hour sitting on the floor chatting to them! Wilf, in particular, is a brave lad who seems to have taken a shine to my daughter - he sat on her knee until she said that she was getting pins & needles - did I mention how huge he is?! 6kg of weight on a 6 year old's knee . . . . .  :doh:

Both cats seem to have settled well - I've tried to take a couple of pictures of them but as soon as you walk in the room, they come over immediately and wrap themselves around your legs or try to sit on your knee - so I've got lots of red blurs and close-up floof! I don't like using the really harsh flash on my camera but when I did, the picture came out with them both with their eyes closed!!! 8)

Anyway, Anoosh seems a little less than impressed; having the boys in the kitchen has meant that her routine has changed a little and she's a bit wary. We are making sure that she gets a lot of fuss (as usual!) and will hope that she is less upset by this time next week . . . . . .

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2008, 06:47:15 AM »
So pleased that Wilf and Alfie are now home  ;D

Can't wait to hear all about them and see lots of pics  ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2008, 22:27:29 PM »
Glad they are home!  :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2008, 20:31:51 PM »
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay, thats excellant news. So happy for you :D and the kitties get a lovely new home.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2008, 20:31:12 PM »
Sooooo pleased they are home and they sound like Gillians persians already  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2008, 19:11:21 PM »
yippeee, sounds like they are having fun exploring their new home  :Luv2: we really look forward to seeing these two adventurers, especially if they have a penchant for high surfaces  :rofl:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2008, 19:06:41 PM »
Well, they are home with us!!!
 :happy dance:

I took the wrong turning and (after stopping to ask a policeman . . . .and then stopping further on to ask a postman!!) finally got there at 3.20pm! They didn't turn us away but did make me buy a bigger cat basket from their shop - I had one huge and one medium and they said that I needed a bigger one. It was an extra expense but I was happy to do it if it meant I could pay my money and take the cats!

Luckily, my lovely neighbour came with me and was able to help on the way home - Wilf (big red lad) was pretty chilled out and lay down and just got on with the whole car thing, but his brother, Alfie, cried and cried and cried. My neighbour, sitting in the back with his basket, ended up opening the basket and he sat on her lap the rest of the journey home. He even purred!

So, they are home. Both have eaten and had some water but neither has ventured into the litter tray yet. I shall have to keep an eye on this as both have a history of cystitis and I know that stress can be a trigger.

Both cats are 6kg in weight - they are HUGE. How huge? Well, my 6 year old daughter is  fairly tall for her age, and when they are standing on all four paws, they come up to her KNEE.   :Crazy:   I know people with smaller dogs!  :)  However, despite their size, they are very agile; they are in the kitchen at the moment and they are not afraid to jump up and walk along the work surfaces (something I really don't like and none of my other cats have shown an interest in doing  . . .) In fact, I went out of the kitchen to allow them some time to settle and heard a noise - when  I went back, I couldn't see Wilf anywhere - until I looked UP and saw him lying across the top of the wall mounted cupboards (and these are tall cupboards in a house with high Victorian ceilings! My 6ft 3in tall husband had to stand on a chair to lift this errant cat down!)

I have left them now, for some time to get used to the whole situation. Alfie seems shyer than Wilf so I have made up a blanket bed in the carry basket and he is having a wash in there. Wilf has decided the kitchen table is a good spot and is sprawled out across some tea-towels. Well, it's their first night here and . . . .well, . . . .  everything is washable! But he mustn't get used to it!

Anoosh has got a sniff of them and appears to be on her guard. We heard her hiss for the first ever time . . . . . but I am going to spend lots of time with her on the sofa tonight and will ease the whole situation together gradually.

And yes, I shall try to get some pictures posted soon - have to remove some old ones as my creaking computer won't be able to cope if I try to burden it with more!

Thanks to everyone who helped make this day possible - your support has been invaluable!  :Luv2:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2008, 15:35:11 PM »
Good luck!

Congrats on your new ones   ;D

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2008, 15:04:57 PM »
Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait...........!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2008, 14:13:44 PM »
Hiya, hope all goes well today! I am currently trying to adopt 2 girls from a resuce who are being equally as difficult as yours but in different ways so I understand how frutrating it can be when everything coming from the reception staff is a bit of a parrotted response rather than a response to the situation and the managers seem to either be no-where to be seen or don't want to speak to you.

Good to hear that your perseverance has paid off, hope mine will too!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2008, 13:50:15 PM »
Hope everything goes ok and no delays of any sort.
Bet they will think they are in a dream , getting a wonderful home where they will be looked after and cherished.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2008, 13:37:10 PM »
Awww good luck with them, their little mushes are gorgeous  :Luv2:  :Luv2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2008, 13:31:43 PM »
yay!  only just seen this but you should be there by now!  hope it all goes to plan

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2008, 13:30:28 PM »
Good luck - hope all goes to plan!  :luck:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2008, 06:42:45 AM »
:cheer: :cheer: :drink: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2008, 06:40:02 AM »
 :yesss:

I'm picking the boys up today!!!!!

:attention:

All I have to do is get through breakfast, do the school run, go to work and manage not to implode by 1.30pm, when I have to jump in the car and do that awful windy-road journey up the coast. . . . . . . I know that although this morning might drag, at least by tonight I'll have those lads at home with us. I barely slept a wink last night!!!

Barring any last minute hitches (fingers crossed that the centre don't welcome me with another hoop to jump through!) then I will try and update later tonight . . . . .

:happy dance:

(I had no idea there were so many emoticons!)

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:24 AM »
Aww they are lovely bet you can't wait to get them home ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2008, 22:36:31 PM »
Ah yes, the colour debate rages on - Wilf is *definitely* red.  :Luv:

Someone suggested that Alfie might be a red smoke. . . ..

Yeh, you would definitely get both red and cream kittens in the same litter. A red smoke would look to all intents and purposes like a red but with a white undercoat and a white ruff when 'in coat'  http://www.hymsnperrs-persians.net/aqgc_hyms_n_perrs_red_hot_n'_smokin'.jpg

Won't be long now  ;D

Link to CatChat