Author Topic: Alfie & Wilf - update!  (Read 46174 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Re: We can offer a home to a Persian cat (long post; sorry!)
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2008, 16:15:25 PM »
Have you seen these two?  They're in West London so not toooo far in the great scheme of things!

http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?i=1523

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2008, 14:22:31 PM »
Ooo I'm sorry, didn't know you had posted them  :evillaugh: Was looking for something totally unrelated came across that site and saw them.

No, no I'm sorry Den, we talking at cross purposes here LOL!! what I meant was those two look like the old fashioned type persians from long ago in a link I posted on the other thread, here, if your'e interested http://www.breeds.traditionalcats.com/BreedInfo/FAQTPersian/PersianHistory.htm - I hadnt posted about the 2 you posted about - aaargh! does that make sense LOL!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »
I just stumbled upon Zola and Pepe and thought of you ...
http://www.pawsandclaws-ars.org.uk/homing.html

(down at the bottom)

Now, they look like those pictures of persians of long ago I posted on the other thread, don't ya think? Think it was the other thread anyway, they seem to be merging LOL!
Ooo I'm sorry, didn't know you had posted them  :evillaugh: Was looking for something totally unrelated came across that site and saw them.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2008, 09:09:03 AM »
Oooh they're stunning! I didn't know you could get persians like that until Gillian posted that page on the other thread.

Harna, can you let me know if this proves fruitful please? I'm looking into Lily's personality for you. Don't worry if you want me to hold off, it's no problem, she'll soon get snapped up!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2008, 06:39:04 AM »
You are right; 'old style' persians! And relatively local to me, too! I will check it out!
 :thanks:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2008, 00:14:26 AM »
They are just stunning  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2008, 23:16:47 PM »

(down at the bottom)

Now, they look like those pictures of persians of long ago I posted on the other thread, don't ya think? Think it was the other thread anyway, they seem to be merging LOL!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2008, 22:59:48 PM »
I wouldn't have a clue I still don't even know what open or ultra faces me .. I just like looking at the pictures  :wow: Just happened to see the name persian.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2008, 22:57:08 PM »
They are lovely but I really don't think they are full persians - not that it matters :Luv:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2008, 22:52:01 PM »

(down at the bottom)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2008, 22:48:37 PM »
You are all right - we will know when we see/meet the right cat, regardless of colour. (however, it's a good job I have my husband to keep me in check as by now I'd have 100 cats if it were my heart that ruled our household!  ;))

We will do what we have always done with the cats who we have shared our lives with - let them choose us and not the other way around!

Thanks for the support!  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
I dont have any issues with people who dont want certain colours, I know people say you shouldnt pick due to colour, but to me it isn't that simple, if you go somewhere there are large numbers of cats, colour is one of the first things you see about them. I am not sure if I can ever have another ginger and white male, Ginger was already so similar to a childhood cat I had. I did say I wasn't going to have another pure white, but managed to come home from a rescue with one, so you might just hear about a cat that isn't a colour you wouldnt go for, and something draws you to it. It is much better to take your time, than get the first one you see cos you feel sorry for them.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2008, 17:46:33 PM »
I understand too cos Kocka was a blue cat and my first and she had such a special way that I do not think any other cat could have. I read on greiving sites that its not advisaeable to get a cat the same colour as the one you have lost, and for all the reasons that Gillian has said, I do agree.

I love blue cats so much but like Gillian its because I so want Kocka back and all her littee ways would have to be there too.

So now I have a calico tortie, a big black and white and two birmans, all longhaired like Kocka but so different in temperament.

If I could have Kocka back I would but of course that is silly.

You must have a cat that you feel happy with but I reckon if you met one similiar to any of the others it might steal into your heart but it sounds like unless you met one by accident , that is not likely to happen.

I so understand how you feel  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2008, 14:23:25 PM »
I can understand you not wanting colours similar to those you've had before, because what you actually miss more than anything is their funny liittle ways and to have a cat the same colour who is in no way similar, temperament or character wise,  to any you've lost, can be difficult to accept.

When I lost Suzie a blue-cream colourpoint, to CRF last year, I DID think I wanted another cat who looked just like her - but of course what I really wanted was my beloved Suzie back  :(  I looked on several breeder's websites and found the one I eventually got my little Gwynnie from - I was drawn to that website because they have a picture of a breeding girl on it who is the absolute image of my Suzie (different colour - blue tabby point), the way she was sitting, looking down, the shape of her face, just so like her. I wanted to wait for a kitten from her - but then I thought about it - and knew that even if the kitten looked similar to Suzie - he or she would never be Suzie - so ended up having Gwynnie, a seal tabby point from a completely different set of parents!

Prior to me losing Suzie, I took on Jasper who is 13, his owner had died. Jasper had the same mum and dad as Suzie, and although he's a redpoint - he has so many similar characterisitcs to Suzie its scarey! and actually now I've lost Suzie, some of things he does reminds me so much of her - its bittersweet.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »
I don't think that's weird at all. When I wanted to get another cat I said any but bluecream as that was Hope's colour. As it happened I fell in love with a bluecream at Christmas (on the Alfie and Meggie thread, might've been before you joined, long story...) and would have been happy to take her even though she was a double of Hope. I wouldn't have thought that had I not spent time with her.

Sadly she died from a lethal combination of a broken heart and cat-flu/kidney failure. That brought everything back to me and I was a bit of a mess at the time.

All cats in rescue are needy so any you rehome will be another happy ending.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:09 PM »
Looks like George & Pixie have been rehomed.

They've got another one called FiFi but its not fond of other cats.

And when you find the perfect cat you'll know, sometimes you'll over look your original ideals due to it.

I'm not sure we could ever have another burmese as Lirael is my husband's first pet. Though I love the breed.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:23:28 PM by Sabrina (Auferstehen) »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:55 AM »
Sorry - don't know why that suddenly posted without me finishing it!

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that my husband is now automatically discounting any cat that might remind him of Leo. I know that to some this might sound stupid and may even say that if we were serious about homing a needy cat we should just take the first that came our way . . . . but then I am hoping that some might also understand to some degree what we are talking about . . . .

But you see, the trouble is that we are now also discounting calico/tri coloureds for the same reason (Marble and Mahla, who died last year, were this colour) and now my husband says he won't be comfortable having a blue-point. I think he sees each of our cats as being individuals that he really doesn't want to replace . . . . . it's such a tough thing to describe.

Anyway, I am wondering now if we *are* such a good household because all we seem to be doing at the moment is judging a needy cat by its colouring  . . . . and that makes me feel uncomfortable.

We *are* prepared to wait for the right cat for us but it's difficult to sit here and watch all these little cats coming and going without doing anything about it . .. . . . . .
 :(

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2008, 11:50:23 AM »
Corporal Smokey - yep, it's a full family project at the moment. (We only have the one child but sometimes it feels like more as she is always busy and generally exhaustingly inquisitive about life . . . . :briggin:)

Our main considerations are whether the cat we are looking for will thrive in our household - and that has to mean that it can cope with having children around and also with another, established (very easy going) cat. However, I am starting to feel a bit bad about the search as we are narrowing it down in terms of what we are looking for, rather than broadening it as time goes past. What I mean is, we are starting to get more choosy and with each and every cat that we hear about, we are having to make a decision and it's not been easy and leaves me feeling really guilty.

For example, we heard about one particular cat who sounded just about right but when we discussed her as a possible to see, my husband really wasn't sure and the only reason he could give was because she was predominantly black in colour and facially resembled our fist Persian, a black self called Leo. Leo was the first pet my husband had *ever* had, growing up as he did with a mother who's scared of animals. When Leo died, we were all devastated and five years later, I would say that we are still mourning him on a daily basis. This little cat was exceptional; we always said he must have been human in a previous life as he knew when you needed a hug and always listened to troubles and secrets. We were going through fertility treatment at the time and so he had a lot of listening and consoling to do.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »
I've just had an email . . . .  George and Pixie have already been rehomed.

It's  :( for me but no doubt  ;D for both of them, so I am pleased that it's all worked out okay.

I've been told that they have another Persian at the same rescue but I am not sure that she sounds compatible (not used to children/other cats and I have to consider Daughter and existing floof.)

Anyway - the search continues.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »
Breaking news. We have two persians coming in this weekend. That is all I know at the minute but I'll keep you informed....

Is it these two?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1031324425/d4b05b1c.html

Sorry, I found it earlier and wanted to ask about Persian rescues in Sheffield.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »
I have to say I love the way you're really involving the kids in this. Makes me think that you're genuinely looking for new feline family members and not just a pet. I wish all our cats went to people like that  :hug: . Be patient, it'll work out!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »
Excellent - thanks again!

It's the last day of Half Term for us today  >:( which means any chance of going to visit a cat will have to be done at weekends  . . . . :'( . . . which means I will have to force myself to be patient . . . . :tired:

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2008, 09:00:58 AM »
She's forwarded my email to the homing person.

I wasn't sure if she'd know anything more or not so we'll have to wait and see.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2008, 16:55:09 PM »
Thanks, Sabrina; maybe your insider knowledge may help    :)

. :thanks:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2008, 16:52:12 PM »
Corporal Smokey - race you then!

I have often thought that I should combine my two great loves (aside from husband and daughter, of course :Luv2:) of classic campervans and cats and just travel the country picking up waifs and strays. If your OH complains too much, I'll swing past and you can have the bed in the pop-up roof . . . . . . .

Has anyone here seen the animated film 'My Neighbour Totoro'? There's a cat-bus in that   . . . .  . . . . .

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2008, 16:51:24 PM »
Hopefully they'll come back soon.

I'll email my  contact to see if i can get you details though in the mean time. Its a different email address so who knows ;)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2008, 16:47:41 PM »
I phoned *and* emailed.

There is an answermachine  but the message states that it's for emergencies only and 'for routine matters' to call back between 9am & 4pm. So I've missed being able to try again today and shall have to call again tomorrow . . . . . .

Oh well - good things come to those who wait . . . .!!!    :)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2008, 16:32:06 PM »
Did you just email them or call as well?

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2008, 16:29:03 PM »
 :(

No, no news - I haven't heard anything back from them at all. It's been more than 24 hours!! 

Okay, so I guess that they are very busy and no doubt volunteers but I am offering a home (well, asking for more information and therefore POTENTIALLY able to offer a home . . .)

It's frustrating but I shall have to wait and see - will keep you posted!  :briggin:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
Any news on these two Harna? Mmmmm....red persian....

Hurry up, I packing me bags and heading to dorset.

Maybe as my revenge to OH I could pop round the country and get loads of cats, he'd love that...(see "other chat" if you're confused!  :rofl: )

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2008, 16:18:31 PM »
oh - it would be great if this worked out!!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2008, 16:18:01 PM »
Yeah - I shall have to learn to sit and wait.

Can't tell you how happyI am that I found you lot here - there have been so many positive possibilities and we are sure that we will find the right cat for us (and vice versa!) very soon!

Trouble is, I think I'm falling in love with every single cat that has it's picture here . . . . :-[

Anyway, I have to go out and about now (ie., away from my 'puter) so hopefully I'll have some more news when I get back this evening.

Oh - and I've finally managed to put up a pic of The Might Noosh (Anoosheh, my blue point!) This is a photo of her in the rescue centre on the day we adopted her - I shall have to try and find one that shows her fully floofed and healthier looking!

Best wishes to all - thanks for all your help!
 :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2008, 16:14:38 PM »
I reckon that is George  :rofl: :rofl: but who knows.

The rescues are not very helpful often and only provide limited info and one picture, or if they send two, they have to be combined and some cant do that.

Who ever that is he.she looks gorgeous  ;D

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2008, 16:10:48 PM »
 :thanks:

.Sorry to be so impatient. . . . . .       :innocent:

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2008, 16:08:47 PM »
I only know what the homing page says and the picture was called pixiegeorge which doesn't help at all!

I'm sure they'll come back to you shortly.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2008, 16:04:13 PM »
Hey Sabrina;

Brill - thanks so much for the info!

Well, it would be  2.5 hours on the road (5 hours round trip) but we are more than prepared to make the journey!

Do you know if this is George or Pixie? And what colour the other is? Their relation to one another? Their compatability with other cats? Their health status? . . . . . . .  :Crazy: okay - too many questions; my apologies  :shy: - don't worry - I've fired off an email to the rescue people to get all of the info and I eagerly await a reply!

Thanks again!

Very best wishes.
 :briggin:

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2008, 15:28:56 PM »
http://www.catchat.org/mgft/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2008022002

Just added those to up for MGFT as I'm their homing page girl, not sure if they're what you're looking for but they're persians so I thought I'd better post just in case.

edit to say I've not idea where you are in relation to these guys....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 15:31:08 PM by Sabrina (Auferstehen) »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »
Ok - thanks for the update; we'll look out for pictures later in the week . . . ..! 
 :)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2008, 19:17:21 PM »
Update on this. They're not persians. They're both supposed to be exotics. One is ultra-faced and I think Diane said she was blue so you'll have to get in the queue behind me for that one  :evillaugh: the other is black but I presume open-faced as Diane said "it's just a black cat to me". I believe they are litter mates and they have to go together.

I'm going up to photos and stories at the weekend so all will be revealed on Saturday!

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2008, 17:02:35 PM »
I can PM you contact details if you like but I don't know a lot at the moment. I'd pop up tomorrow but I have a follow-up visit to do.

I'll keep you updated! 

Link to CatChat