Author Topic: Fostering?  (Read 3093 times)

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
Re: Fostering?
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 17:18:55 PM »
Hi DawnF, if you're in SE London/NW Kent anim-mates are always lookling for cat fosterers!

I have been fostering for them for nearly 2 years.  They are great - they have supplied me with a double cat house in the garden (at quite a cost) - I've also got a spare heated outbuilding which is used for mums/kittens - but saying that generally after a week or two, if the cats are quite social I let them out - I guess I'm lucky as I have a large garden and no direct access to roads.  At the moment I have a pregnant cat who was becoming a bit stressed being on her own in a room so she's now in the house and is flourishing - just waiting now for the babies to arrive!

My first foster Polly I remember I cried when she left (I'd only had her for 2 weeks) but I have lost count of the number of fosters I've had since then and it's great to get emails with photos and updates and to see how well they've come on, all in loving homes.  The longest foster I've had is Flora - who had 9 babies and was quite unwell - she was with me for 6 months and I was devastated when she went, but again she's doing great.  Muesli and Mozart have been with me for nearly 6 months, and I fear that they will always be with me as they are not "lap" cats, almost feral, but they are still lovely and give me loads of pleasure just to watch them interact with one another and the other cats.

Good for you for thinking of fostering.  I'm sure you'll love it - it is sometimes hard, but the plusses outweigh the cons.  Hope that the rescues get back to you soon!! 

Dx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 12:12:09 PM »
I have approached a breed rescue as well, (I thought that they would definately want indoor people) by phone and email and didn't hear back from them either - I'm starting to get a complex!!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 08:02:14 AM »
My local CP branch accept indoor fosterers, so sadly it must just be yours Dawn. There are disadvantages to fostering in your home rather than a garden, but on the whole I think it is better.
Ginge - the rescue could just be busy, you do have to appreciate that it is run by volunteers, and they do have other commitments. Please do be patient.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »
they ask you to have the base ready and it needs a power source as well so I think they would put people off just from that - with having the cat proof garden I just don't think it's a big enough space to have a strange cat staring out at my lot!  Especially when I've got two spare bedrooms

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »
Funny how different CP branches have different policies. We have indoor fosterers as well. In fact indoor is so much better. Caroline has an outdoor pen but if the cat is happy with it, she prefers them to live in the house. I can't see how a branch can insist on outdoor pens as they are expensive and the branch would need to be sure fosterers are in it for the long-haul before spending £1,000s on pens. CP usually pay for everything, including food for foster cats.

If you move out this way, Sharon will welcome you with open-arms as a fosterer  :hug:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:04:44 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »
hang on in there, my local cp will only let you foster with a pen in the garden which is no good for me because I don't think it's fair on my cats - I also contacted bengal rescue but never heard back from my phone message or email

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 18:23:19 PM »
Nor me it would seem, I'm still waiting for the local rescue to ring me back :( Maybe they are busy or I'm just impatient :Crazy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 16:03:41 PM »
good luck, I'd love to foster but nobody wants me!  I'm sure it has it's ups and downs but when you wave them goodbye to a lovely new home you can feel very proud

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 14:06:28 PM »
Anyone fostering should always have a plan for veterinary care in place, I know things rarely go wrong but when they do having to ring people for authorisation can lose vital minutes.

Good Luck Andrea I am sure you have lots to offer to the world of Rescue.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 13:57:07 PM »
Thanks Teresa, thats a very good point, one that I hadn't considered.

well I have made the phone call to enquire about volunteering and I'm now waiting for them to ring me back.

Considering doing a drive by to suss them out and also cos I'm board, see too much time on my hands :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 13:53:46 PM »
Excellent point there, T, out of hours is something I always forget about when people ask advice.
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 13:50:41 PM »
Good on you for wanting to foster and excellent advice from Desley and Angie. One  consideration must be costs and more importantly vet bills; you need to establish before the event what happens if a foster is taken ill especially out of hours; Will you be given access to use the rescue account or the funding to use your own vet. Claire fosters for me and lives a distance from me so we laid down rules to ensure that should the worst arise in the middle of the night she could get treatment from her local vet at the expense of the rescue, fortunately this hasn`t happened to date ,but good to be prepared.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 13:24:08 PM »
The only prob you have is there are no guarantees on getting an easy foster, one of the things with fostering is taking in what comes, my first foster cried constantly when isolated, despite being very affectionate and I Felt like a walking zombie after a few days. Second was mum and kittens, I wasn't a member of a forum then, and there was no warning as to how hard they were going to be!!
Offering to help with websites will be a big help.
Please spay your cat

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 13:20:48 PM »
Hi, thanks for your advice it has certainly given me food for thought! An easy foster would be ideal as we both work shifts although it does mean that one of is usually around in the day.

Isolating wouldn't be a problem as we have a spare room that could be used.

Funnily enough Desley I was thinking of offering to help with their web page as they seem to be a little short on pictures.

Well anyway before any of that I will start with a phone call and go from there, maybe do some volunteering first and suss out the fostering option at the same time.

Once again many thanks.

Andrea x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 12:51:59 PM »
Good on you for wanting to help. Most rescues will provide the things you will need, but will ask that you have a way of isolating, I took in 3 cats from a home environment last weekend that had both fleas and worms, so unless they have already been at the rescue and done, you cant guarantee little things like that, much less anything like catflu. I isolate for a fortnight, and even then they only get limited time out, partly cos it is my cat's house, and they dont always want to be bothered by all these newcomers.
There is no way of knowing how long they will be with you, I have had cats that I thought would be short term and snapped up quickly tak ages to rehome, and vice versa. It might be worth offering to do a CC page for the rescue you help, as htey can be a big help in rehoming. You also need to be able to dedicate a decent amount of time each day to them, and to all the extra cleaning it will create. i am no help with not getting upset I'm afriad, as it doesn't bother letting me know - I am always happy with the home they are going to, and there is always more needy cats that will benefit from me letting one go. I agree with Angie's last sentence, I am 'Auntie Des' to fosters rather than 'Mum', and them being separate does help a lot, the long termers who are integrated have been harder to let go.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »

As a general rule do the rescues provide cages, littertrays, bedding etc?

Are the cats health checked as Ive obviously got my two cats to consider.

This you should ask your rescue. Its always advisable to keep your cats apart - some rescues will insist on it as vets can't spot every bug/illness around. if you don't want to do this then you should quarantine for a month.

On average how long do they stop with you and how do you stop yourself from getting upset when they are re-homed.

Depends on the cat, as a new fosterer hopefully they will give you an 'esy' cat first off (that is friendly, no bad habits and young) but even then we've had some like this for 9 months before rehoming.
As to getting upset, you just have to accept you will be upset when they go but look forward to getting to know and help your next. It does help to remember that they are not your cats and keeping them seperate also helps here.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
Fostering?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »
Hi, I am currently thinking of offering to help out at my local cat rescue and I am also thinking of offering to foster a cat- if they will have me :innocent:

Before I do so though I just want to ask a few questions because once I make the phone call I will agree to anything :Crazy:

As a general rule do the rescues provide cages, littertrays, bedding etc?

Are the cats health checked as Ive obviously got my two cats to consider.

On average how long do they stop with you and how do you stop yourself from getting upset when they are re-homed.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Andrea aka ginge66

Link to CatChat