Author Topic: A study of feral families?  (Read 2691 times)

Offline CallieSkye

• Adult Cat
Re: A study of feral families?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 16:14:07 PM »
Maverick Cats is another really good book on feral cats.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maverick-Cats-Encounters-Feral/dp/0933050453/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1201622878&sr=8-3

I spent all my summers growing up on my grandparents farm where they always had semi-feral barn cats. It really depends on their individual personalities. You can have almost an entire litter of kittens who won't come near you and then one of them who absolutely adores to be cuddled!! They've finally gotten all of their girls fixed this past year, so I got to see the last batch of kittens this Christmas while I was there. Occasionally a new cat will arrive from nowhere and join the colony. Normally it's only males who show up though so they should be in the clear for a while! (The vet was giving them a deal on operation because they had so many)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 13:35:54 PM »
There is a great book about ferals called something like "The wild life of feral cats". I'll check out the actual title and author for you. I'm not sure if it's still in print as I borrowed it from the library many years ago. I think it was written by Roger Tabor.

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Life-Domestic-Cat/dp/0099312107

also, if you google Roger Tabor you are led to some interesting websites of his regarding feral cats and their behaviour.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 13:49:37 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »
I saw that programme Lesley, it really interesting, the funny thing is they tolerate each other so well, I suppose the ones who don't like other just leave

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »
The only programme that I can think of that has been done on similar lines was one by David Attenborough with a feral cat population living in Rome I think it was.  Fascinating to see the link between mothers and daughters etc.  I think a mother and daughter both gave birth around the same time and the daughter was very protective and kept moving all the kittens.  One day she moved both litters and her mum couldn't find her or the kittens.  After a week mum gave up looking and lost her maternal instinct but daughter managed to raise her and her mum's litter by herself. :Luv2:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:50:24 AM »
I think I would be in 7th heaven being where that lady is and able to have all those little visitors  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 20:57:47 PM »
Would be a great help for people awareness!  ;)

Its lovely to know that mummy cat is still looking out for her kits new and old!  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 20:55:01 PM »
I quite agree about them being all the same. The mother of this brood has developed a fondness for the lady's homemade cakes and when the smell of baking is in the air, she lines up her babies on the lawn and coaches them in the art of looking pityful.... ever have I seen that kind of behaviour before? :evillaugh:

It's strange, though, that we send scientists and animal behaviourists out to study elephants and whale pods but I can't see that anyone has done a long term study of the feral cat on our own doorsteps.  :-:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 20:46:14 PM »
OO Im so jealous....what a brilliant thing to do.....I take it these people must be the quiet patient type.... :)

I still say to me the only diff between feral and domesticated is fear of humans! They are all the same underneath x

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »
OHHHH PB how fantastic is that  :wow: ;D ;D - i'm quite jelous. But how wonderful, at least they are safe and there wont be any unwanted babies.

What a lovely story  :Luv: :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
A study of feral families?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
Last summer, we were asked for help by a lady whose house borders farmland. One of the farm cats had taken up residence and had decided to raise her litter in the lady's garden, which has quite a lot of thicket type bushes.

Unfortunately, the kittens were just that bit too old for us to tame, but we did manage to trap them and get them neutered. Mum, however, proved illusive and by the time she arrived back on the scene, she was obviously heavily pregnant again. Sadly, we only managed to catch 2 of the new litter of 6 in time for taming and rehoming as our efforts are hampered by Mum, who keeps taking the kittens back to the farm, where we cannot trap as the farmer in non-cooperative. But in the following weeks and months since the first lot of neuterings, we have now TNR'd Mum and all but one of the last batch of kittens. We are hopeful of getting that one very soon, although obviously the last few are the most slippery!  :evillaugh:

The thing that is facinating me, and the lady, is watching the way this family work together and interact. Mum, although she has had another litter and been spayed herself, continues to educate and watch over her teenage kittens even though we estimate they are around 10 months now. And one of the teenagers, a female, has been seen baby sitting the newbies and even teaching them how to play-hunt with a dead mouse.  :innocent:

Does anyone know of any case studies like this? I believe this is a unique situation that farm cats have been observed at such close quarters over this length of time.  :shify:

And BTW, the lady says that since they've all been neutered, they now come in to her house and kitchen, and will happily sit on her sofa so long as the garden door is left open and they have an escape route. She can now touch or stroke most of them and one of the older kittens even sits on her hubby's knees for short periods.  :wow:

Link to CatChat