Author Topic: Grooming and getting out matts  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Grooming and getting out matts
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 16:17:27 PM »
You could try a little battery trimmer - I use the Wahl Pocket Pro http://www.mad4ponies.com/acatalog/wahl_pocket_pro_trimmers.html . You could just whizz one or two knots off at a time while he's relaxed, its so quick, he'd hardly notice!  ;) But if you keep snipping and pulling the knots apart as you are doing, you'll get there in the end, just takes a bit longer. Then you can keep on top of it now you know the areas to concentrate on.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 13:55:22 PM »
Star doesn't like her stomach being done, luckily she rarely gets anything in that area but I tend to pull them apart gently with my fingers - best overall grooming tool - mikki matbreaker as recommended by Gillian, it is fab!

Offline Sarah_Jane

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Twix, numerous foster kittens currently have a 2 babies with out names yet!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 13:45:02 PM »
I dont have the foggiest, but im sure somewhere i heard you cold get grooming gloves??? Dont know if these wud work and dont know where you'd find them  :rofl: but i thort id add my ten pence lol

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Grooming and getting out matts
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 13:32:26 PM »
What are the best tools for dematting?  Especially with cats who don't appreciate grooming?

I am so embarrassed at the number of matts Mosi has on his tummy.   He's never been a fan of being groomed, even though I did start him young.  He just swipes or bites at the brush/comb.   His fur has never really matted so I've got a bit lax about brushing and combing him and tend to just give him a quick brush when I can.  However I noticed when he was on my lap the other day that he has several matts on his tummy - esp armpits and near his bottom.   I was shocked!  When he settles down on my lap I am trying to cut into them so that they just fall apart and that is moderately successful but I can only really do that when he's totally relaxed on my lap and rolls over onto his back.  If I try to do it too often he gets wise to it.   Any tips on how to deal with him?  Given that there is only me to hold him and do the grooming, and that he tries to swipe at just about anything I try to groom him with.

Link to CatChat