Author Topic: Differences in purrrrsonality between females and neutered males  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Differences in purrrrsonality between females and neutered males
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 19:17:42 PM »
Thank you Jiji  ;D

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 19:09:55 PM »
Sorry they are not the ones for you Gill, they look and sound so lovely. I will keep my eyes out for you  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 19:03:41 PM »
Yes Jiji, one must be a seal point like Napoleon, I have a blue already and its funny but the blues seem to be much more scaredy cats than the seals.

Also if I am going to take two, they need to be younger cos to insure over 10 year olds is too expensive for me to take two

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 18:40:41 PM »
There are a couple of girls (6 year olds) in the Cheshire area one of whom it says is very much a lap cat, but they are a blue point and a blue tortie, have you ruled these out?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 18:24:35 PM »
The lady thanked me for my honesty, cos she wants them to go to the right home.

Both are so stunning and its so sad.
Think I am gonna have to stick with a boy and the breeder who has the other two also thinks neutered boys atre much more friendly than girls although her two girls are lapcats.

I worry about the one who hates her other cat though and feel its too much of a risk.

I think she bought them for breeding purposes but they need to stay as a pair and with the anger in the house they have to leave cos they were the newbies.

Not only are they expensive but both would need neutering too.

Just have to keep searching  :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 18:16:07 PM »
shame, but at least honest, they could have told you what they thought you wanted to hear!  she is a little stunner though

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 18:12:12 PM »
My heart was all beating and in love but turns out the two 5 year olds are not lapcats at all   :'( :'(

Its also not looking good on the other two either cos one of them doesnt get on with another cat in the house and cant afford to take a risk I think.

The cat below is Coco and her sister Izzy an blue point is equally gorgeous.........soooooooooooo sad

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 18:04:58 PM »
Effie was far more affectionate than Ella. Ella can be aloof and she can be demanding but she is not a lap cat. She likes a stroke on her terms but likes being picked up which Effie would not allowed.

Archie is only happy if he is on your lap and I will be interested to see how that changes when he is neutered (we took him the the vets last week to be chipped and they reckon he is still only four months!)

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 17:28:29 PM »
I have 2 moggies, one of each, Poppy is much more in your face affectionate. Loves cuddles, wakes me up most mornings for a fuss and to lay on me.  Charlie like a fuss and like to sit next to Pete, vitually on his leg, neither are lap cats though, Poppy perches on my chest, lucky its ample!!!

Both are neutered.

Nicky

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 16:41:27 PM »
No they are not local , ones in Widness and other Walsal but I would travel to met them.

Yes Liz I so agree with you.

I have now had replies from both current owners, the two seals are with a breeder but
cant find any info on their parents also strange that both are still on active list   but far too old to be going to first homes.

The seal and the blue are much loved I think but change to shift working and birmans such people cats, she feels she has to give them up................I wouldnt have but..................

So back asking questions to both owners

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 16:26:50 PM »
are they local enough to meet Gill - you may be surprised

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 16:19:51 PM »
I think it depends on how they are brought up and handled by breeder or previous owner, my Ragdoll is lovely but not a flopsy topsy and she had several homes before coming to us she does love to be brushed though

Sweetie the late leader of the Clan was a total Mummy's girl and loved to be on or near me at all times, some of the other girls will come and see me but its on their terms

The boys howeever love to be on my knee, shoulder, sleep with me and are all affectionate

It depends on the background and some cats just don't want to be knee warmers
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 15:45:25 PM »
Thank you for such quick responces.

None are in rescue as such, one pair need a home for good reasons! The other pair maybe are still with their breeder but not sure cos they are way older than kittens going to a new home, so maybe another change of circumstances.

I just wish they would reply as quick as of all of you.

I agree Edd, the breed which is affectionate and their upbringing and lines will affect everything.

However you all so far have confirmed what I thought and that is that neutered males are on the whole more affectionate.........sigh

I also have no experience of young cats and both my moggies who were 4 and 6 whenI got them came from terrible backgrounds and this is still reflected in their behavior.

The two birmans were around 12/13 when they arrived here and a different kettle of fish all together.

Misa liked to think he was the top cat but its only become clear now that Napoleon was and he used to rule just by his presence  ;D

Leonie who was under a year I think was  a sucking cat and liked to be stroked and lie on me and my lappy but wasnt keen on any of my other cats, except for Napoleon, maybe again she sensed he was top cat and he ignored her totally, and her being a diva found that very strange and would sit at a distance quietly and watch him. She hissed and roared at the others.

I think birmans by nature just love people so much and hope that applies to the girls as well as the boys.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 15:27:35 PM »
two of my girls are the most affectionate things ever oh and I can't sit down in our house without them appearing for a cuddle and both recognise the sound of our cars and wait by the door - Tilly my bengal loves fuss but only when she wants it - Oscar my boy hates fuss - I guess it just depends!

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 15:24:16 PM »
I only have experience with moggies I am afraid, but Ginger is a very demanding affectionate girl, who always wants cuddles, her only problem is that she gets very distracted easily, and shoots off to chase a fly or something, so they are not always long drawn out cuddles, but as she is only 1, that could be due to her age. Fred is less distracted when he wants cuddles so seems a bit more soppy.
I think that it could work either way though and their cuddly nature is part of their personality and not really that affected by their gender?
Benji only likes cuddles when he wants them, although I would still describe him as a cuddly cat....I am not much help am I?
are they in a rescue? or in a foster home? you could ask their carer what they are like? meet them and see what you think?
I have experienced soppy and cuddly neutered girls as well as feisty feral ones but also have the same experiences with male cats.
maybe someone with more experience will help, I really haven't been much use...sorry  :hug: :hug:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 15:19:52 PM »
Sparecat is my only real experience of spayed female but if shes normal,shes affectionate but in a less whiney clingy manner than my boys. more that of 'course youre going to stop what youre doing a rub her ears, what on earth else would you do' shes by far the most capable of my set but shes the one that always comes when called (and then races me to the door so she can berate me that shes been waiting ages) and the one that only has to be looked at to start her purring  :Luv: she has never not leaned into a face rub however much i wake her up and mither her

Could you trial run? ask to foster them for a set period before you decide for sure? worst case it free up foster space for the rescue involved?

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 15:18:22 PM »
As you know, I have one of each and on the affection front, Cooper wins hands down!! He's so loving and gives it freely on a daily basis. Little miss Peanut on the other hand, is very strict with the amount of loving she dishes out...... The odd occasion she does plonk her bum on Alex and I, doesn't last very long.....a couple of minutes max! She is extremely purry though, so that kind of makes up for it. At least we know she's happy! The only time she's really affectionate is when she wants feeding or letting out. Cooper is a snuggly boy no matter what and he has now turned into a fully fledged 'bed cat'  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 15:08:59 PM »
I would normally say that females are not as affectionate as males but that is my limited experience and with moggies - My Chelsea girl I think is a one off being a wild child on the streets since a kitten and getting herself up the duff at 6 months - making her a very "independent miss" :shocked:

My neighbour had a female birman and she was just adorable even as a youngster.  :Luv2: :Luv2:

So I would say you have asked a hard question cos I think the breed characteristics , the breed line as well as age may be determining factors - does that all make any sense :-:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 15:14:36 PM by Edd »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Differences in purrrrsonality between females and neutered males
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 14:52:48 PM »
I am looking for a birman as most of you know,

I wanted a neutered male but all cats on offer seem to be female.

All my cats except Sasa are/have been male and as Sasa is a semi feral, I really have no experience of female cats.

Neutered males are very affectionate but what are neutered females like?

I have just done an insurance quote for a young birman and can afford to have a pair but both pairs I am interested in are female.

Any help will be appreciated

Link to CatChat