Author Topic: Trap Neuter Release - London East?  (Read 5520 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Trap Neuter Release - London East? SORTED!
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 16:57:57 PM »
OK I give in, he's adopted me and that's the end of it. He's been microchipped and vaccinated today by fave vet Neil who managed to get a comb through his tail fur, so he's now 100% sorted.

That brings me up to seven - as someone once said, the perfect number.

Thanks for all the support. Tuffs says WOWWEEE!!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 19:34:39 PM by sheilarose, Reason: SORTED »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Trap Neuter Release - London East?
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 18:29:03 PM »
What a positive update  :) That tummy is just itching to be munched but maybe that's a bit premature  :evillaugh:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »
Yay!! I hope his good manners continue :)

Chicken roll is amazing...I owe Liz big time for that tip! It worked a treat with my ferals :D
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
what a lovely update!!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »
Well, what a turn around.

Tufty has been in for 2 1/2 weeks now, and today, finally, he's nice. He came into the bedroom and sat on OH, headbutting.  :Luv:

As for his relationship with the other furbs, only Sly and Theo have ongoing issues with him, they are the youngsters in the family and so have had to push for their own status here, and are making Tufty work hard for his.
Pursley is wary of him, but then she's increasingly defensive against all the boys as she gets older (Pursley is almost 15 now).

Tufty uses his tray, plays with his toys (balls with bells in, a cardboard box and catnip pumpkins make him very happy) and waits patiently until everyone else has been fed before eating his own.

The chicken is working, he follows me when I make chomping sounds. He associates this sound with his favourite slippy chicken roll so I'm hoping to be able to call him in with it once he's free to roam again. 

I ditched the idea of the painkillers and it seems it was just his insecurities that were making him so violent. I've also put him on grain free food (Big Sam has this diet already as he's intolerant) which may also have effected the change of mood.

I want to say we've cracked it, he still has a short fuse but seems to have forgiven me for the eye drops, and with luck we'll be letting him explore outside over easter by way of the cat flap, which he still punishes to some extent but the desperation to escape has gone. Of course he still needs to be chipped and vaccinated before he can go outside, but I'll do this when he's proven to me that today's change of heart isn't just a ruse to lull me into a false sense of security.

Next step is to get him to relax long enough that I can groom him properly, then he'll be ready for re-homing.

I asked OH if we could keep him. The answer was "No" but it wasn't convincing......

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I might well have given up on young Tuf without your encouragement.

Here's a picture of Tufty today for you. :thanks:

Sheila xx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 21:35:00 PM »
If you get him to eat chicken roll you can squirt the metacam on to some chopped up pieces - having 30 odd ferals sharing our home we have a spreadsheet fro worming as some of the darlings are so mistrustful :shocked:

We have 3 undhandlable who live as house cats Master Ace we have had him for 7 years and he was fine till his Mother died 4 years ago and still hasn't forgiven us for moving house 5 years ago but he is however a very sociable cat with the other cats adores any kittens and likes the dogs

We have Master Blue he has been with us for 3 years and is coming around slowly and has discovered he loves cat milk so on the shake of a bottle he will now stay in the same room as me!  Finally Master Harper last years surprise trapping he lives on top of the wardrobe in our bedroom and is nocturnal but is slowly coming round

I have had cat scratch fever twice and always wnsure my tetnus is up to date as I have been shredded and had a couple of nasty shredds but usually my fault as they come rushing by or I trip on them in the dark :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 21:17:45 PM »
hes coming on so well! I was wondering how he was doing so was over the mon to find this update! hes lovely :Luv2:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Re: Tufty (was Trap Neuter Release - London East? )
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 20:57:04 PM »
Oh thank you, all.

Yes I discontinued the eye ointment after the fourth day - I couldn't stand it any longer, the poor mite became terrified of me and bit me so deeply when I tried to administer he even went through my glove.

The good news from Amy is that there is no lingering infection in either eye so the four days doseage was enough to clear up the bacteria.

We've hit a snag with the painkiller theory too - he won't take his daily 4ccs of metacam and because he doesn't want wet food or tuna fish, I've no way of getting it down him. Catching him to force it down would just defeat the object and reinforce his hatred of me, so this is going to need a re-think (actually he didn't improve one bit the night after Amy had injected him with the 24 hour painkiller on Friday, my instincts tell me the moods are not pain related at all).

He bit OH on Saturday, really deep wound in his arm, OH thought he'd cracked it as Tufty was allowing a moment's head stroking on the settee, but Tufty just whipped round so quickly...poor Mike! He's so long-suffering.

Anyway, Tufty now has the run of the house and although is still terrified of me, hissing and yowling, he seems to accept being deflected from the cat flap. He still pesters to go outside when the toilet calls and scratches and pummels at the cat flap until I push him gently away (a dozen times) with the broom handle.

I need to get him back on side before OH loses patience. The chicken and more chicken thing is a top idea, but I've discovered he only likes the really cheap chicken roll (high fat content) and will not eat any other type (or ham, or tuna, or cat treats) ! Great for the wallet but Sainsburys is miles away and I've run out.

Still, at least he will eat his applaws, drink his water and his bladder and bowel are functioning perfectly, so he's not on hunger strike.

I still love him, he's just going to need a lot more effort on my part, I hope my stubborn streak is wider than his. :).

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 23:37:13 PM »
Rule one - if you can scoop them up with your hands they aren't feral.

Rule two - if you squirted ointment in my eyes every day for a week I think I'd go off you too!  :innocent:

Rule three - boys are ruled by their tummies... Chicken, you need chicken and lots of it. Chicken is better than any medicine the vet can give! ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 22:54:19 PM »
I hope the eye ointment has stopped now and if so he will gradually start to trust you again.

Love Tufty as a name and hope that he will start to settle but he will not be happy until he can go out again  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »
oh I hope he comes around, if only they'd listen when you tell them its for their own good.  Its wonderful to see how much you care about him although not much consolation when you are getting bitten I'm sure!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »
He's now called Tufty, nice name... but he's proving to be a handful.

His coat is coming along quite nicely, his rather handsome mohican cut has prompted the name change.

Here is the problem...

Tufty has been indoors in isolation for a week and has been treated like a prince. The eye ointment prescribed for him really stung and he has reacted quite badly to my approaches as a result. He has been increasingly reactive to contact which has manifested in snarling whenever I approach him, and biting when I pick him up. Occasionally I can get close to him but only for a few moments before he turns defensive again.

Tufty went back to the vet (Amy) yesterday for a check over and she can see no physical problem, but has prescribed painkillers for a week in an attempt to eliminate pain as the underlying reason for the aggro.

He's desperate to be outside and spends all day gazing through the window and yowls for his freedom. Ideally I would like to let him go now and treat him as a feed-only stray, but his long fur forbids me from letting him go free (he just HAS to be brushed to prevent the matting happening again).

So, he stays indoors for another week while we test the pain killer theory. I've allowed him some limited contact with my other cats today and this has been OK, just some minor grumbles but no violence.

Any advice on moody cats will be appreciated!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 22:40:14 PM »
He is so handsome and hope his eye is better soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 22:35:54 PM »
lovely update :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 15:44:26 PM »
Thanks for the update on Monty.  He is such a looker  :Luv: 

I think I'll google zoom groom coz think our young Groucho could do with some help in the grooming department as his fur is so fluffy.

Am I right thinking you now have 7?  If so, that's a purrfect number  :)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 13:45:39 PM »
New pic of Monty post op - good job it's not smell-o-vision.  :Luv2:

He's been re-located from the bathroom into my spare bedroom as he's proved to be a very tidy boy in the litter tray dept, and it was getting tricky keeping the resident boys from sneaking in when we visited the loo.

You can see the lesion in his right eye (on the left in the photo) that has caused his iris to fail in the top corner. This is probably permanent.

The orange thing is his new best friend  :hug: - a knitted catnip pumpkin courtesy of PIOH shop. He lovingly tears it's eyes out with his teeth. It has stimulated a licking reaction in him and he's started to groom himself, but he's got so many scabs it's going to be a long haul getting his coat up to standard.

He's getting better every day but is still sore around his back where the matts were shaved off, his entire flank is exposed on both sides, and he's quick to let me know when I touch the wrong spot (OH let his guard down and caught a nasty bite last night when he tried to pick him up round the middle - ouch).

I've bought Monty a Zoom Groom on advice from the vet. Once the worst of his scabs are loose I'll start him on that.

It's tough love - the eye cream really seems to sting him and he puts up a fight every time I come at him with the tube. He gets honey in the form of Sainsbury's 99p chicken roll though, which helps him get over the trauma.

Sylvester is keen to make contact, he sticks his paws under the door and trills to me when I'm in with Monty. I'm keeping my options open for re-homing him, as his lingering hormones and discomfort are still affecting his mood. He's wormed and de-flea'd so his comfort levels should improve soon.

Hopefully once the eye cream is finished he'll settle down and we can get on with integrating him here for a little while to see how he develops.

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 01:07:33 AM »
He sounds fabulous :Luv2:
so glad he has found you and agree you are a true star for giving him a second chance in life :thanks:
I bet he will soon be back to a decent weight if hes accepting food so nicely off you :wow:
cant wait to see some more pics of this little man as he is sure to be more of a stunner than before after all the treatments have kicked in
well done you :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 00:40:36 AM »
You are a true star  :hug: :hug: :hug:  So pleased Monty has found such a caring person.  No doubt he will repay your kindness ten fold .....

Very handsome lad and hope he heals quickly  :care:

Seconded  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 23:50:04 PM »
You are a true star  :hug: :hug: :hug:  So pleased Monty has found such a caring person.  No doubt he will repay your kindness ten fold .....

Very handsome lad and hope he heals quickly  :care:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 23:33:35 PM »
he really does sound lovely  :Luv:.  hope he recovers quickly
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 20:36:55 PM »
he sounds lovely :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 20:05:36 PM »
Ahhhh how wonderful ... so pleased he is safe with you.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 19:32:07 PM »
Glad the vet visit went well and happy to hear his personality matches his good looks  :Luv2:  hope he is soon back to full health.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 19:12:20 PM »
He sounds wonderful and 3 is young LOL.  ;D

It sounds like he has had a rough life but is a survivor and hope his eyes improve soon along with all the other injuries  :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 19:04:12 PM »
 ;D Monty is a snuggler!

Vet had to shave his flanks to get the matted fur away, so he just has a mohawk down the middle of his back now, but I was able to pick him up from the vet's table and he cuddled straight into my shoulder  :hug:, let me pull his scruff gently and started purring.

He's simply a mass of scabs and scars, his right eye ulcer is down to a claw injury that may or may not heal, I've to apply ointment twice daily to both eyes and go back in a week for re-check. The left eye ulcer is unexplained, but may be related to a herpes flare-up (like having a cold sore on your eye - ouch). He has also pulled a nail bed which is sore and has to be cleaned regulary. He's had a long lasting anti-biotic, which will help all his wounds, and a frontline topical for his fleas.

He's young middle aged so has plenty to look forward to, I'm guessing he's around 3. He weighs 4 kg, so has been feeding himself OK but he feels lighter than his bonestructure suggests he should be (he's long). He hand feeds, gives long slow blinks and seems to really like being inside. He's certainly been someone's baby at some point, and a really loving one at that.

So he's set up in the bathroom, happily tucked up on a blanket in the bottom of the cat carrier, has wolfed down a pack of felix, three pieces of cooked chicken and a bowl of whiskas milk. Not surprisingly, he's sleeping now.

Me? I smell like a mouldy old carpet from all the cuddles and can't wipe the grin off my face. He's fabulous.  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 18:55:17 PM »
Well done and think he will need eye drops but also ulcers can cause blindness. So he maybe a bit of a problem and hope that the vet can help you with him  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 15:11:49 PM »
thank goodness you are helping him - no advice I'm afraid but hopefully someone can help

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Re: Trap Neuter Release - London East? (Ulcers in eyes??)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 14:11:16 PM »
Well, thanks to Tina for lending me the trap, "Monty" as we've now nick-named him has been caught this morning and is with the vet right now.

He's a bit of a state, but the vet (Amy) thinks he's a big softy as he's being very well behaved for her. Monty has long fur which has become so terribly matted that Amy's going to have to cut the matts off his back, poor little man.

Monty doesn't have a chip, but he sure does have a powerful smell,  :yuk: (due entirely to him being un-neutered).

His eye does show some damage, probably an old scar which Amy will test with some drops whilst he's under sedation today.

If all goes well Monty will be out of surgery by 2 o'clock. I'll keep him in here for a couple of days while he gets used to being neutered, but here's the sting...

...because of his long fur, Monty will not do well as a stray, the evidence of this is in his matting, so whereas he was going to be TNR, I'm going to attempt to find him a home where he can be groomed and fussed back into shape.

Eeek

Vet tech just called to say he has ulcers in both eyes, he's been castrated OK but vet wants to talk to me about his eyes so has made an appointment for 4.40pm.

Experience of ulcers in eyes anyone?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I was about to phone SNIP as they are quite near to me when a thought struck (careful now) that maybe the local vets might be worth a try, so just on the offchance I nipped in to my local Goddards (where Chubby had his TNR and dental treatment last year) on the way back from collecting the trap kindly offered by a fellow Freegler - and they still do the voucher system. Woopee!

The tech said they would have a look at his eye when he's brought and we'll go from there, but the vouchers are now issued by the vet clinic themselves, so although the loss of lovely Wayne our council animal warden is a blow, I've managed to scramble together the stuff I need.

So I have the trap, a neuter appointment (next Tuesday) and all I need now is a cat.

Trap's been washed out and is sitting drying in the sun with all it's doors locked open and a bowl of oh-so-smelly Whiskas inside.

Hopefully I won't catch too many of the residents over the weekend before Monty comes calling.

Fingers crossed!

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
SNIP is a good idea and also the Celia Hammond Animal Trust clinic at Canning Town might be another option.

The eye thing could be Horner's Syndrome - essentially an interruption to the nervous supply to the eye which causes one pupil to be smaller than the other.  Or it could be something entirely different!

Good luck with the TNR!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
No helpful suggestions from me either sorry, but what a lovely lad  :Luv2: 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 22:57:57 PM »
So sorry cant help with answers but wow what a handsome boy  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 22:43:10 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 22:11:18 PM »
no usefull suggestions im afraid- just had to say hes a bit of a looker :Luv2:
sounds like hes found you and likes what hes found! Good luck with his eyes hope they are ok ..poor little chap xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
Trap Neuter Release - London East?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 21:51:32 PM »
Hi everyone.

Well here I go again.

One of the newer strays on my block has been geting slowly thinner, dirtier and scraggier. He's only an occasional feeder at my house, but seems friendlier than some I've worked on. He's a long haired clever boy with his wits about him and has been around since Christmas, living in and out of my kennel. His picture posted around the locality have brought nothing other than sympathetic oohs and aahs, so I'm happy he is a true stray.

I've noticed he has one iris distinctly bigger than the other, and it's consistently so. I've been told this may be due to a head trauma, but he seems balanced and in no pain.

He's still a full tom as far as I can see, her sprays in my garden daily and it would appear he's broken in to my neighbour's house and sprayed. So, time to get down and dirty. My boys really dislike him which is what's keeping him from burglarising and spraying my house.

I've borrowed a cat trap and am ready to set it up this week-end, but need some advice a. about his eye and b. if there's a vet doing TNR work in north or east London who could also check his head for me.

I don't mind keeping him in for his few days recouperation so he gets a good start, (he'll be in my bathroom separate from the others) and i'll continue to feed him here if he chooses to hang around, but he does seem to be quite happy just being out pinching from the neighbours, so I'm not thinking of totally rehabbing him.

What do you think?

Link to CatChat