Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Elizabethan Collars (silly Q)

<< < (3/3)

Desley (booktigger):
You keep the collar on till the stitches come out, which is usually 10 days. You can take it off while they eat, and i always give them at least an hour without it on top of that, but it does depend on the cats, you have to supervise incredibly well with most of them!! They can eat, drink and sleep with them. IT is supposed to slip over their head, the bandage is to tighten it - if she wears a normal collar, you could slip the bandage through that to make sure she can't get it off. Good luck.

isabel:
I just got Jessicka neutered. She came home last night after staying over at the vets.

My dad collected her and was given a "lampshade" incase she tries to lick the wound. Of course, she is trying to lick the wound, so I have put it on her.

They didn't give any instructions though - how long should it be on for? do i take it off for breaks? (she washes her face then tries to wash the wound as soon as i take it off) is she safe to eat and drink with it? can she sleep with it on safely?

I was also wondering what the best method for putting it on is. It slips over her head on the smallest setting (does that mean it's too big?) and there's bandage tied round it. At the moment I've got it tied round her neck. Is that right?

I'm very confused!

And a little annoyed at how ugly her wound is. I know that the scar will be covered in fur, but you'd think out of professional pride, they'd have made it neat. A doctor would get sued for that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version