Author Topic: Chicken necks  (Read 7229 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Chicken necks
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »
The risk of Campylobacter bothers me alot less than the antibiotics, growth hormones and other chemicals that are fed to intensively reared animals  :shify:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2007, 18:22:00 PM »
susanne i havent read your link yet but that bacteria you mention is a "natural" gut bacteria found in us normally and our cats.  That was what fraser had an "overgrowth" of initially on top of the chronic gastritis when that was all diagnosed and needed a course of antibiotics to get it back under control.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2007, 18:06:26 PM »
I have heard that said before. 

This article is rather out of date now but explains why organic chickens can have more bacteria than non organic.  I don't know whether anything has changed since that article was written.  Or whether the campylobacter (sp?) mentioned is a threat to cats.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1364

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2007, 17:26:09 PM »
here are her words: FYI Organic meats turn up with MORE bacteria ... reason the fertilizers used... I am using grass feed no antibiotic meats NOT organic
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2007, 17:23:54 PM »
I actually know someone who feeds raw and wont touch organic meat, will see if I Can find what she said about it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2007, 15:49:55 PM »
The other thing to make sure of Gemma is that the meat is fresh, and if you can afford it free range or organic is best.
I read on one site that some offal eg liver can have toxins in it (talking about intensively reared animals) so i will buy organic offal for my lot. The stuff they pump into chickens now adays i wouldnt want them eating it   :censored:

I always snip stuff with scissors as my knife "skills" are more than terrible!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2007, 12:49:42 PM »
Thanks for the tips Gillian, explains why I couldnt' cut the kidneys, I was using a knife!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2007, 12:46:06 PM »
For liver, heart, kidney, etc. what size chunks would you cut them into? Given the high salt content of kidney, would that be okay for them (not sure its that salty but it always tastes it)?  Would any form of kidney be okay - my butcher normally has kidney from several animals so I know I can get that?

For wings - would you give them whole or have the butcher cut them into smaller pieces?  Same question for necks but I have no idea how large they are?

I would start off with smallish chunks, some cats don't like the texture of offal initially, so you could slip a few bits into their regular food to start with! Kidneys are fine - mine prefer lamb kidneys, but they will eat pig kidney. Kidney and liver can be fed a very small amount at each meal, (think of the size of a mouse!) or a larger amount 1 or 2 times a week, the ideal is for it to make up only a small proportion of a raw diet, around 5-10%.The rest of the diet should be made up of meat and a small amount of bone. You might find it easier to cut liver and kidney with scissors, rather than cutting with a knife. Heart can be fed as a muscle meat - mine love lamb hearts again, and not so keen on ox heart. Have a look at this site http://www.rawfedcats.org/ - its really helpful.

Chicken wings can be cut into 3 pieces - if you get a meat cleaver and cut through the 3 natural joints - you have 3 nice pieces then. Like in this pic below. The necks that I get from AMP are mixed poultry necks so some of the larger ones can be chopped.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
Not sure what size chunks, as I had to cut it smaller for my toothless cat. You do have to make sure not too feed too much heart, liver and kidney I think, maybe only once or twice a week - i bought kidney for them, but couldn't cut it!! So they had heart, liver and raw chicken, alternated over a week. I assume that if it is from a butcher, any kind will do, but you might find they are fussy over what animals it comes from
Please spay your cat

Offline Gemma H (Akandra)

• Adult Cat
  • Hestia & Bacardi
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »
I've been thinking this meat to clean teeth with sounds like a good idea.  I'm currntly changing their wet food over to ones with more than 4% meat!  So some real meat might be good.  Fed them some nice pink beef left over from a function at work a couple of weeks back and Bacardi went mad for it!  But as for raw meat, can I ask a few questions?

For liver, heart, kidney, etc. what size chunks would you cut them into? Given the high salt content of kidney, would that be okay for them (not sure its that salty but it always tastes it)?  Would any form of kidney be okay - my butcher normally has kidney from several animals so I know I can get that?

For wings - would you give them whole or have the butcher cut them into smaller pieces?  Same question for necks but I have no idea how large they are?

I'm fine with all the raw meat, including cutting it, but don't think I could manage the chicks/mice.  Odd, but thats me.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2007, 22:36:28 PM »
Well, day didn't quite go as planned - had a viewing on Shabba at dinner, nipped to my mum's to give her some chicken for the dog, and ended up stroking 3 day old chicks and cuddling a week old duckling with a deformed leg, so the butcher was shut by the time I finished there and got to the pet shop!! Will have to go on Tues instead.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2007, 20:14:20 PM »
couldn't give the cats chicks after that.

I know what you mean. The reason I stopped eating Lamb was after were were riding on the bike through the Lake District and being that bit higher I could see more and I saw hundreds and hundreds of lambs many obviously new born  and loads of  little black ones, I said to myself thats it I will never eat lamb again and I haven't. it must be over 10 yrs now. Perhaps it would be a good idea if I saw loads of calf's  (although I don't eat veal) and piglets.

I had a similar experience. I was in Dorset around 1993 and we were in a firld surrounded by lambs and I decided never to eat lamb again. I haven't missed it at all  even when I was vege, all I craved was bacon & chicken.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2007, 19:51:16 PM »
Hope you had fun at the butchers  :rofl:
Did they hand over any chicken necks?!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2007, 09:55:13 AM »
This has reminded me to wander round to the local butchers later - hate going in there, it is worse than the meat aisle of the supermarket.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2007, 09:51:49 AM »
I'm also a veggie and don't eat fish or shellfish. Strangely, the only thing I ever crave is cockles and mussles!

The cats eat Whiskas, the impish little carnivores!  :fish: :feed:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2007, 16:41:26 PM »
Lol Gillian, you can see the concentration!
I got a pigeon from the butcher and have a pic of Lola with a leg in her mouth, i will see if i can find it.
Im a vege/attempted vegan, the thought of eating meat is  :sick:  but i can handle it for the cats  :-:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2007, 12:28:29 PM »
i do love that piccy for some reason.

funny chicken turned you, normally i believe the biggest turner of veges is bacon.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
i just had a terrible thought (sorry warped sense of humour)

gillian/lottie etc will you be treating your feline friends to an easter chick then  ;)

Hmmmm! - good idea, yes - must just pop and get some out the freezer!! Funny - I used to be vegetarian, and what was it that got me started eating meat again? - chicken  :) After 10 yrs of not eating meat chicken was my downfall  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »

What pic was that?

At the risk of making everyone feel  :sick: - this is the pic! Look away now!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 11:18:07 AM »
i know millys mum..couldnt help myself  :evillaugh:

the pic we are talking about is one of gillians, her persians are partialled to a chick and she has an excellent photo which isnt one you'd expect from  a persian cat. (taken before any gruesome stage i might add)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 10:54:07 AM »
Lynn that is mean!  :evillaugh:

What pic was that?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »
i just had a terrible thought (sorry warped sense of humour)

gillian/lottie etc will you be treating your feline friends to an easter chick then  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 07:45:23 AM »
couldn't give the cats chicks after that.

I know what you mean. The reason I stopped eating Lamb was after were were riding on the bike through the Lake District and being that bit higher I could see more and I saw hundreds and hundreds of lambs many obviously new born  and loads of  little black ones, I said to myself thats it I will never eat lamb again and I haven't. it must be over 10 yrs now. Perhaps it would be a good idea if I saw loads of calf's  (although I don't eat veal) and piglets.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 07:33:41 AM »
I was reminded of this thread when I went to my mums last night - they have hens, ducks etc on their allotment, and they have hand reared some again this year, so i went into their greenhouse to see 2 week old ducklings - couldn't give the cats chicks after that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 21:13:42 PM »
So shall I !!  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 21:05:44 PM »
LOL yes gillian i was thinking of you, i only knew from your fabby pic you had on the other week though  ;D

have to admit i always think of that pic now everytime i think of a persian  :rofl:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 20:16:05 PM »
I saw the title of this thread and realised I'd unconsciously moved my hand up to touch my own neck  :rofl:
Must go and get some moisturiser  :evillaugh:.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 21:03:11 PM by Baggy »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 19:55:44 PM »
I'm sure Whiskas, Felix et al buy a lot up. Along with beaks, feet etc  :evillaugh:

Probably right Mark  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 19:43:39 PM »
Desley, Anglian Meat Products do frozen poultry necks, its quite a large bag though! Thats the only place I've been able to get them from. I asked at all my local butchers, coz I'd prefer to buy fresh, but they all looked at me as if I was mad  :Crazy: and said they don't have the chicken necks - well where are they all then??!!! These were all traditional type butchers that sell whole chickens etc - but minus the necks - who's got 'em thats what I want to know! Oh - I do know - AMP buys them all up!

I'm sure Whiskas, Felix et al buy a lot up. Along with beaks, feet etc  :evillaugh:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 19:36:50 PM »
I know it happens all the time but I personally could not do it if my life depended on it. I remember being at Chester Zoo (think we are going there next Tuesday, depends on weather) and I think it was the owls or something that were being fed  dead baby chicks it was horrible.
i went to singapore with family when i was about 14, theres a bird zoo next to a reptile zoo so we went to both the same day, birds first. and they had hundreds of baby chicks in an enclosure at the start and you could handle them, needless to say i found one i fell in love with and just stayed with him/her while family went round the rest of the zoo.... then we went to the reptile zoo and every tank had 2/3 LIVE chicks hudled in a corner.  :sick: and  that's when i became a veggie, but my bridge baby got fresh meat frequently and so will lucifer. i regard it as a labour of love and they get told with every second im preparing it that its proof of how much i love them lol

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 18:06:40 PM »

and i know of atleast one other person besides lottie who sometimes gives defrosted chicks to her cats.

Wonder who that could be Lynn?!!!  ;D - not always defrosted either, as Gypsy is not against stealing the defrosting ones if I've left them too handy!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 17:32:06 PM »
Desley, Anglian Meat Products do frozen poultry necks, its quite a large bag though! Thats the only place I've been able to get them from. I asked at all my local butchers, coz I'd prefer to buy fresh, but they all looked at me as if I was mad  :Crazy: and said they don't have the chicken necks - well where are they all then??!!! These were all traditional type butchers that sell whole chickens etc - but minus the necks - who's got 'em thats what I want to know! Oh - I do know - AMP buys them all up!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 15:33:37 PM »
humph the chicks fair enough if some want to give them (not for me however) but my hubby would chuck an absolute mentler if i went and bought frozen mice when we are always trying to erradcate them from the loft  :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 13:45:31 PM »
Will have a wander to the butchers (5 min walk from the house) on Sat, actually there are 2 in walking distance, so will go to both and see what they can do - if not, they will have to stick to heart and liver, but bigger chunks than last time - Tiger has had to have a scale and polish this year, and she is the younger of the two.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 12:24:01 PM »
I thought the ingredients were poor and won't let them have it

Sorry I missed the I bit. To tell the truth I didn't read the ingredients. perhaps smacked legs are in order.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »
Also its grain that produces plaque & tartar and t/d is probably 80% grain  :-:

Milly would probably eat t/d , she was a biscuit girl before i got her, she didnt know how to eat tuna either.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 11:11:53 AM »
eg hills t/d but when I bought a bag of that I wasn't impressed with the quality of the food,

I expect cats are like people,e.g  some people love sprouts others abhor them. Someone put some dental food in the bin in Sainsburys and all the 6 I have here couldn't get enough, they loved it.

I didn't say they didn't like it - I thought the ingredients were poor and won't let them have it

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 10:58:15 AM »
eg hills t/d but when I bought a bag of that I wasn't impressed with the quality of the food,

I expect cats are like people,e.g  some people love sprouts others abhor them. Someone put some dental food in the bin in Sainsburys and all the 6 I have here couldn't get enough, they loved it.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »
I tried giving mine a chicken wing (had been and bought them nice organic free range ones specially) and they were decidely unimpressed at the lack of fur or feathers lol so I'll be sticking to chicks and mice.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
Aren't there brands of dry food specifically designed to clean teeth? I'm not sure which ones, but I'm sure I've seen them advertised.

There are dental foods, eg hills t/d but when I bought a bag of that I wasn't impressed with the quality of the food, and don't like dry food per se anyway, so would not want to use that for teeth cleaning.  Jaffa just swallows those kibbles whole anyway.

lol at feeding them in the bath!  I don't actually have a bath, but Jaffa likes to take anything big off to his special corner behind the cat tree in the lounge anyway.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:42:05 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat