Author Topic: Indoor litter trays  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
Re: Indoor litter trays
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
Alright Alright... I must be a more tolerant slave  ;)

Thanks Gillian, that's a lovely offer. I think I'll contact them and ask if they will send a sample and if not my family live very near there actually so might be able to snatch a favour there. But thank you for the very kind offer  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
Quite right, Fred.

Why should we cats cover up our business just cos you humans want us to?  I cover when I want to and I leave it uncovered when I want to.  Deal with it.  Honestly, these slaves are always moaning about their duties.

Jaffa
xx

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »
yoo litter trays stink toos yoo know an why shud we bury?  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
the invasion of da cats as started!!!
Fred (in a norty mood) :evillaugh:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 23:27:51 PM »
I like the look of the stuff on the natural instinct site but you have to order 12 boxes as they won't ship any less...  :-:

Do you know if there is anywhere that stocks this so I could try the girls on it?  :)

Ah, yes, I usually order 30-40 packs at a time lol! I'm just about to put another order in, I could try sending you a couple of packs? -  they will prob have defrosted by the time they reach you though, even if I put in insulated pack, not a problem but it means you've got to use it pretty much straight away. If they are only partially defrosted they can go back in freezer no probs. Think thats why they have a min order - to avoid defrosting, the more packs in the insulated boxes the less likely they are to defrsot. Think you can only get this from that company, I suppose you arent anywhere near their factory shop? you could pick a couple of packs up if so (Camberley, Surrey)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 18:32:06 PM »
Just been spraying neutrodol lol, wow the pong and he does cover up. Thre dam has burst after yesterdays op and yes he is using the tray well!

Fraid I couldnt cope with feeding a raw diet so will just have to hope is pong gets less  :innocent:

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 16:18:43 PM »
I like the look of the stuff on the natural instinct site but you have to order 12 boxes as they won't ship any less...  :-:

Do you know if there is anywhere that stocks this so I could try the girls on it?  :)

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
Thanks Gillian, this is all really helpful!

Bee

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 00:02:55 AM »
If you are interested in raw, I can recommend this company http://www.naturalinstinct.com/categories/Cat-Food which does ready made complete raw diet for cats. Its popular with my lot  :)

These sites are good for info about raw feeding:

http://catinfo.org/
http://feline-nutrition.org/

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 16:07:20 PM »
Aaah ok, thanks, yes, that makes sense now  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 13:37:59 PM »
When you feed raw you don't just feed the meat - you have to feed organs and bones too so that it is complete.  You can get supplements to add to meat to make it complete and you can buy pre-made frozen mixes if you dont fancy making it all up yourself.  But you're right, feeding raw does require doing a lot of research first as it's very easy to get it wrong and end up feeding something that is not balanced.  If you're interested, there are lots of threads in the health and behaviour section as this comes up from time to time.

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 13:21:09 PM »
Thanks everyone, sorry for the delay in thanking you - busy weekend!

We have changed to Cats Best to give it a go and invested in a neutrodol and so far it seems to be all good, although still no burying  :doh:

I would happily feed a raw diet but was worried they wouldn't get evryhting they needed from it? I'm a bit confused cause the complementary foods are mostly meat but people suggest not to feed them solely this but then others feed a totally raw diet.. it's very confusing  :-:

Thanks everyone for you suggestions!  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 17:57:09 PM »
Bee- it might also be worth adjusting their diet, cereal and sugar can make for particularly potent odours. Firefox knows lots about dietary things,might be worth a search (or if anyone can find some threads?). 

I can highly recommend raw feeding for reducing poo odours  :evillaugh: and yes, cereals/sugars/veggies and carbs in general are often a cause, simply because cats aren't meant to process them.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 17:10:04 PM »
If you had said to me a year ago I'd join a forum to discuss defecation I'd definitely have questioned your views on my chosen social activities  :evillaugh:

I'm afraid to say it's all downhill from here  :evillaugh:

Offline fostermummy

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Max, Mollie, Missie, Jake, Mia, Bella, (Princess) Ickle
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 16:53:55 PM »
I have checked with my local vet and its perfectly safe ! I also use Virkon ...

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 16:44:33 PM »
dettol apple discinfectant spray

some (or maybe all?) dettol products are toxic to cats- if it contains phenol or goes cloudy in water its extremely dangerous. it can be absorbed through the pads.

Phenol is a major part of slug killers and is common in disinfectants

Bee- it might also be worth adjusting their diet, cereal and sugar can make for particularly potent odours. Firefox knows lots about dietary things,might be worth a search (or if anyone can find some threads?).  ive also found clumping to be better for containing smells
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 16:51:08 PM by snarf »

Offline fostermummy

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Max, Mollie, Missie, Jake, Mia, Bella, (Princess) Ickle
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 15:29:38 PM »
In my asylumn for cats I have 6 litter trays and catflaps (two of my younger ones play outside and pee etc inside  :doh:)  I use BreederSelect Cat litter - paper based and available online and in some P @ H stores.  I clean my litter trays every night and I spray the trays with dettol apple discinfectant spray (just a squirt) The trays dont smell as the litter is fantastic and I only get rid of wet and pooey bits ... The trays are cleaned out every weekend ..

This stuff is great £10 for a 30L sack. It doesnt smell and the cats like it .. one of the foster kittens chases the litter (which is paper based) around the litter tray ! Needless to say the little room they are in is always a 'need a hoover' zone !!

This stuff is worth buying ! Hope it helps ..

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 13:18:06 PM »
Thanks both, that's helpful, think I'll try the cats best and the neutrodol, they haven't been put off b the air freshener yet, it was a bit of a test it and see, but it's not working that well anyway...  they are such good girls with their trays I just wish they buried more!
I had the two trays in differant places to start with to test it out but they both just used the same one and then both used the other one...  they also eat from each others food bowls too and swap half way though a meal... haha! Such twins!  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 13:12:26 PM »
I would ditch the newspaper and liners, both will hold smells and liners often end up leaking anyway if you have enthusiastic scratchers  ;) . I'd go for a clumping litter like Cats Best that Dawn suggested where you only have to remove the clumps of wee (and solids of course!) and the remainder of the litter stays clean and dry. You use less litter and don't need to dump every day.

I used to have all my trays in a large walk in cupboard, didn't have a problem with lingering smells. The only reason I moved the trays out of the cupboard, was because I have 8 cats and I started to think it wasnt ideal for them having to go all in the same place (bit like a busy public loo!) so I relocated them to different areas, bathroom, spare room, bathroom and hallway.  :)

I wouldnt use air fresheners in the cupboard either, cats sense of smell is much more sensitive than ours and can put them off - the Neutradol that Jez mentioned is a better alternative.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 13:10:04 PM »
I have a covered tray in the bathroom, and I put a solid Neutradol air freshener on top - it doesn't work magic but it helps!

I use woodchip litter which is pine scented (although it's not very strong), which also helps.

You can get covered litter trays which have a charcoal filter in the lid, but I've never tried one so I don't know if they're any better.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 13:10:36 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 13:00:06 PM »
yes pets at home, zooplus and lots of pet shops

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
Aaah ok, thanks Dawn, maybe I'll try that, is it available anywhere or only in certain shops?

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
Thanks Susanne  :)

No there isn't a permanent smell, it goes once we have cleaned it out, we are very dilligent about clean litter trays, it's just if we come home and they've been whilst we were out. They are both overed trays too, I didn't say that... I did have the trays in the spare room but I moved them as we had people to stay for the weekend and I didn't want the girls getting confused about where their toilet was if people stayed in the future although this is quite rare. We have both a bathroom and an en suite in the flat but they don't have windows only extractor fans (which are only on when the lights are) so it didn't seem much differant to keep them in the cupboard, it's almost the size of a small box room...  perhaps you are right though... Hmmm

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »
I never found catsan very good - I use cats best oko its a little messy but contains smells and you only have to scoop daily and complete change about once a month

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »
I would be wary of putting them in a cupboard as any smells with stay and linger more than if they are out in the open.  In my flat, I think the tenant before me (who had 2 siamese) used the large cupboard in the hallway for litter trays as I could smell it and it took ages to get rid of the lingering smell.  I have a covered tray in the lounge (rarely used) and an open one in the bathroom.  I scoop almost as soon as it's used.  Obviously I can't do that when I'm out, but I find that keeping on top of it is the best way to deal with smells.  The only time there is a smell is when they have done a poo recently and not covered it - Jaffa tends not to cover.  Sometimes I get in from work and can smell a poo as the bathroom is off the hallway and lo and behold - there is a Jaffa poo sitting on top of the litter!  At other times though there is a poo but no smell - I think the litter works it's magic eventually even if not covered.  I use worlds best cat litter.  In short, it's hard to eliminate all smells as there will invariably be a temporary smell when it's used, but with the right litter and good litter tray hygiene, there shouldn't be a constant smell. 

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
Indoor litter trays
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
If you had said to me a year ago I'd join a forum to discuss defecation I'd definitely have questioned your views on my chosen social activities  :evillaugh:

Anyway, any good tips for indoor litter trays? Currently ours are stored in a large walk in cupboard, The door is propped open for access at the moment but the plan is to install a catflap asap.

We use Catsan non clumping  and add a little Baking soda plus have liners and newspaper. They get totally emptied and wiped once a day, often twice and the majority of the time my OH is there to change them straight away. The problem is when we do go out for the evening and then come home to find they have both used them they really smell and it leaks into the rest of the flat. The girls aren't very good at covering their poo despite using more litter. We have a auto spray airfreshener in there (high up on an empty shelf) but it's not working well enough. The only thing that really works is the plug in one but I don't want to leave them on when we go out in case of overheating and house fires...

Any tips? Would another brand be better or would clumping work better?

Bee

Link to CatChat