Author Topic: Advice for cat with no teeth  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Advice for cat with no teeth
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 16:30:53 PM »
I wouldnt keep a cat in cos of no teeth either.

Cats usually swallow biscuits unless the kibble is really big, so may go back to it later.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 13:39:47 PM »
Most of my oldies have either had none or just a few teeth.  They adjust really well because their gums harden although mine have tended to avoid biscuits after having their teeth out and although they have dry down all the time they only eat the wet (the ferals eat the dry that's left every day) I always mash their soft food up too or if it's what we're having e.g. chicken etc cut it into tiny pieces 'cos the kind of mum I am  :evillaugh:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 13:34:43 PM »
Thanks everyone, seems cats cope pretty well without teeth. Like I said he's been eating his normal wet food, although I've been mashing it up as his mouth is bound to be sore until it heals, so no need to liquidise it I don't think.

Jen - Poor Mazza  :(  So good that he is being looked after properly now. Bert is the same, catches things and tries to gum them to death, so clearly his two fangs weren't much use!

I think Bert would be miserable if he couldn't go out, he's bad enough being kept in whilst he heals.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 13:04:49 PM »
I think having no claws would be more of a problem for a cat - must say I don't think I would have thought of keeping a toothless cat inside either

Offline Furry Friend

• Adult Cat
  • I have 2 cats toffee and ziggy. Love them to bits!
  • Slave to: Toffee and Ziggy and Bloo
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 13:04:09 PM »
I dont know, your poor cat :(
Have you tried liquidising the food?
Would not letting the cat out make his quality of life worse. Some cats love going out. Id have thought a cat would defend itself with its claws, but im no expert. Id go off what the vets told you/.

Good luck
You cant have just 1 cat

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 13:03:02 PM »
My mum has a 7 year old (we think) cat with no teeth, he hasn't had them since we found him, as we think he was kicked in the face, his jaw has also healed twisted where it was broken (he was also covered in fag burns, hence the kicking theory rather than a car). Despite this he is allowed out (he goes loopy if he can't get outside) and is an amazingly good hunter! (I have rescued many mice and birds just very soggy and scared!)
It never occured to us not to let him out, just because he is missing his teeth, if he only had the 2 left then like you said I can't imagine they did much anyway?
As long as he has healed from his op and is eating well then I would let him out and about, but thats just from our experience with Mazza.
Hope that helps and hope his gummies are feeling better soon!
Jen
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline mollycat

• Adult Cat
Advice for cat with no teeth
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:39:28 AM »
Due to fending for himself and being malnourished at the start of his life, our Bert had to have his last 2 teeth removed yesterday - he's only two and a half!  :(

From what I have read and seen with him so far this doesn't look like it will affect his eating, but someone has suggested to me that he should never be allowed outside again as he has lost one of his ways to defend himself.

Anyone got cats without teeth? The vet said to keep him in for a few days until his check up and he's already moaning to go out! I can't believe the two fangs he had would have helped him much.

Link to CatChat