Author Topic: Food, not sure if I'm doing it right.  (Read 1962 times)

Offline mrst

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Nutmeg and Beau
Re: Food, not sure if I'm doing it right.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 17:37:24 PM »
Thanks Tiggy's mum, that helps a lot x
Mummy to Nutmeg aged 5 and Beau aged 4, both rehomes, Nutmeg at 9 weeks and Beau at age 1

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 16:09:24 PM »
If they'll eat the wet on it's own I think that's got to be better for them as if they leave it for a bit and go back to it the biscuits would be all soggy which may be putting them off a bit? Also, if they do leave a bit of wet you're not chucking the dry away with it!

I feed my cats - both males, one 5kg the other 6kg but very lean still - the equivalent of a pouch each for breakfast and the same for dinner, I feed Bozita and a 1/4 of a carton is 92.5g so not far off an 100g pouch. They then have a bowl of dry down 24/7 so difficult to estimate but I would guess at them eating maybe 30g each a day (can only really work it out by calulating how long a 2kg bag lasts) in addition to the two pouches each.

Offline mrst

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 15:59:34 PM »
The only reason I'm mixing is because when I put the wet first down they wouldn't touch it, so I then added some dry to it which tempted them to eat some.
Thinking of it now it could be that they didnt like the flavour of the wet. as they have eaten different flavoured wet since.

I will try the wet on it's own tonight to see if they eat it, and then just leave the dry seperate.

They used to have the Go cat dry in a bowl which would be topped up throughout the day if needed and they would eat it when they wanted.

Do you mind me asking how much wet and dry you feed your cats?
Mummy to Nutmeg aged 5 and Beau aged 4, both rehomes, Nutmeg at 9 weeks and Beau at age 1

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 15:40:56 PM »
I think that sounds fine quantity wise then - 50g (2oz) of dry and a pouch. Is there a reason why you're mixing the dry in with the wet? I wonder if that might be putting them off? I've always put the dry in a separate bowl which is available 24/7, I know this doesn't work for everyone though but luckily my two regulate their own food intake. They tend to eat their wet food (on it's own) all in one go but occasionally will leave a bit of wet but it's normally gone within half an hour.

Offline mrst

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 15:28:44 PM »
Thanks Tiggy's mum, I weighed the biscuits and it works out to be 1 ounce which I am mixing with half a pouch of the wet, I am giving this twice a day, so the dry would work out to be 2 ounces each per day and 1 wet pouch each day. They can have more if I know they are going to eat it, but at the moment they are leaving some.
I think I will go back to felix when this lot is finished and then just add the purina or a different dry to it.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 14:56:10 PM »
At least you have the Felix to fall back on if you know they'll eat that. When it comes to dry, are they eating an ounce (25g) twice daily each so two ounces/50g per cat? I feed James Wellbeloved dry and the feeding guide for that is 60-70g per cat per day.

The guidelines for Purina might be slightly different but 50g (2 oz) + a pouch each sounds fine to me. If it's only 25g (1oz) each then, depending what the guidelines on the Purina are and bearing in mind they're not so keen on the wet food, I'd be looking to up the dry a bit more so they are at least getting all the calories they need.

Offline mrst

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 14:44:08 PM »
Thank you for the reply, they seem to like the purina although they dont tuck in as they used to with Go Cat, but I suppose if they were children and I swapped McDonalds with Veg they wouldnt eat as readily lol.

I think I will persevere for a few weeks and see how it goes with them, then maybe change if they still dont seem to like it. They do like felix, so I could always add that at some point if I need to.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 14:09:19 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs mrst

If they are eating the wet food, although not loving it, then I would probably persevere with that brand for a while yet. I've tried my cats on a few new foods that they wouldn't even lick (strangely enough the posh ones that cost a fortune!), even a sniff was a step too far for them!

It could be that they just prefer dry over wet so even if they are only eating a pouch each a day it's an improvement over an 100% dry diet. If they're still not tucking in wholeheartedly in a few more weeks then there's no harm in trying some other brands. I know Felix/Whiskas isn't the best quality but millions of cats have lived long and happy lives being fed on them!

If you don't mind buying cat food online then I can recommend Bozita, it's a high meat content food that's presented in a 'normal' cat food style ie brown meaty chunks (my cats won't touch the posh ones that look like chicken/fish!) and is very good value, it costs around £1 a carton which is the equivalent of nearly 4 pouches.

Do they seem to like the Purina dry?

Offline mrst

• Kitten
Food, not sure if I'm doing it right.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
Hi all, I'm just after some advice re food.

I used to feed my cats Go Cat biscuits, and would leave a bowl for them to graze when they wanted feeding. Recently I read how Go cat is the same as feeding junk food so I decided to change my 2 cats diet. I wasn't sure what to buy, so bought Purina adult dry food and also pouches of pets at home meat in jelly. I then spotted Vet's Kitchen in my local supermarket and bought that too to try.

The problem is my cats are not as keen on the food as I would have hoped. although they are eating it slowly.

They are now having 1 pouch each fed over two meals (so one pouch per day) and a small handful of the biscuits which works out to be about 1 ounce in weight twice daily. They also dont eat it all in one sitting, so I do end up throwing some away.

I'm not sure if they are eating enough/ too much or if the food I bought is any good.

I was looking at the purely range, but I'm not sure whether to get that or persevere with the food I bought already, as I dont want to keep changing their food.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mrst x

Link to CatChat