Author Topic: 3 week holidays.  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: 3 week holidays.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »
No, I don't think you're over thinking it Andy.  You care about your cats, and you worry about what they'll feel if you're away for what will after all be quite an extensive period of time.

We're fortunate inasmuchas we have a pet sitter who is a gem - she comes and stays for the whole time we're away, and she's great with both our cat and our dog.  We've used her now for many years, and she looks after them exactly as we would.  But, if you don't have access to that sort of sitter, I'd be inclined to say I'd ensure they were kept in for the time you're away.  That could be tricky for someone who isn't used to the cats and their daily routine.

I kind of understand, because when we acquired Mac, it was the week before we left for a week's holiday.  Not ideal.   :doh: We went, after much deliberation, but I worried and fretted the whole time we were away, thinking - like you - would he forget us while we were away, would he think he'd been abandoned etc, and that was knowing that our pet sitter would be taking excellent care of him.  As it happens, when we got back he was delighted to see us, but had clearly had just as much fun while we were away.  Just me, but in your position I think I'd postpone the trip for a little while if you can?

Helen - your boys will throw raucous parties whilst you're away, I'm guessing  ;) :evillaugh:  :hug:

Offline andyturner

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 23:34:52 PM »
Hi, thanks for the comments & concerns,

Hhhhmmm... I have also a friend,

he would, and has in the past, moved in for a couple of weeks just to look after them. He feeds them and plays with them etc. But when he did it last time they were kittens and were not allowed out. This time they would be allowed out.

What would they think after 3 weeks? I'm guessing...
1. Clouseau couldn't give a stuff as long as she was fed
2. Judo might think that we have moved and abandoned him so will either...
   a. Try & find his old home
   b. Go thru the ordeal of coming to terms with abandonment & then having to forge a new relationship

....am I over thinking this?

Thanks & regards,
Andy

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 14:31:26 PM »
I'd see if you can find a professional cat sitter to come in, perhaps your vet can recommend someone? A good cat sitter will come in as many times as you want them to, but usually twice a day. They will not just feed the cats and change litter, but will spend time with the cats, playing with them, or just sitting with them - reading a book or watching a bit of telly, just so's they have that little bit of company during the day.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 13:48:42 PM »
I think you have to be very careful because you cant rush back immediately from that far away if there is a problem.

Someone recently on Purrs had left their cat being looked after by a neighbour and when they came home found that the cat had not been fed and the neighbour just hadnt bothered........sorry cant remember who it was.

You have to be 100% sure that the neighbour can be trusted and the cats actually like them because I know at least two caese where the cats have hated the carer and tried to move in elsewhere.

Once was at my house in London and Sooty a gorgeous black and white tried to move into the house next door to him but was thrown out and then he walked across a road down an alley, over my fence and tried to move in with me. I put up notices and luckily the next day his owners returned and saw a notice in the corner shop.

The other is only a couple of weeks ago at my mothers and Eric and Berts owners went away leaving someone feeding them and they tried to move in next door at my mothers and also tried other houses in the road.

Have to say I alraedy knew Sooty but not his name and my mother knows Eric and Bert.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 13:01:40 PM »
All depends on what your neighbour is like.   If I was your neighbour they would be cuddled and played with and generally spoiled!

Have a chat to your neighbour and see what sort of care they will have time and inclination for. They may love it, the girls next door to us used to adore looking after our persians, when we got back from holiday the faithless little minxes actually didn't seem that pleased to see us they'd been so pampered!

Jo 

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
To be honest I think I agree with Michelle, that 3 weeks is quite a long time for a neighbour to look after a pet.

But, having said that, every cat and owner is different, so I suppose its really up to you.

The most we have left ours was for 2 weeks, and we had a pet sitter come in twice a day to check on her, I couldnt put her in a cattery - she'd go bananas! So she was kept indoors the whole time (they changed her litter etc and were there for about 30-40mins at a time), but then ours is a mostly indoor cat anyway.

I didnt really want to ask neighbours to look after her because at the time she was on a daily tablet, and I didnt want to put that responsability on them.

The pet sitter was recommended by our vets, and we signed forms to say she could take her in and get her treated etc if needed.

Maybe you could do something like this, and then just ask the neighbours to pop in now and again just to fuss an cuddle your 2 so they get some extra attention? :)

I hope you get it sorted though - New Zealand is on our 'must go to' list, we'll get there one day too I hope! :)

Helen

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 20:37:01 PM »
Hi,
In my opinion 3 weeks is too long to leave them being feed by a neighbour.
Its a longtime for them to be without company and would a neighbour notice if one was missing or ill ?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 18:46:32 PM »
Hi Andy

Nice to hear from you again  ;D

I'd be interested to hear the repsonses as I have a similar dilemna, I'm due to have a 3wk + travelling time holiday to Oz (postponed by my sisters' very unexpected pregnancy!) and am already worrying about my two boys even though I haven't even booked the flights yet  :-[

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 18:42:52 PM »
before I cat proofed my garden I always used to have my cats kept in while I was away, gave me some peace of mind

Offline andyturner

• Adult Cat
3 week holidays.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 18:38:53 PM »
Hi,

We’ve had a 3 week trip booked for NZ for ages!!! Last year we had to postpone it the first time because the wife’s mum got very ill and needed looking after. We then had to postpone it again because the wife got pregnant. Dope. Anyway, I want to postpone it again because we only moved into our new house in July and by March we would have only lived there 7 months.

I would prefer to wait till at least 1 year and maybe take 1 or 2 short (1 week) trips before disappearing for a 3 week holiday.

The cats have a cat flap and would be fed by a neighbour. It’s a stunning location for cat’s and humans. I’m sure Clouseau would love us being away, but I’m more worried about Judo because he is a big softy and enjoys our company.

…anyway, I’d like some opinions please.

Cheers,
Andy

Link to CatChat