Author Topic: Rubbing himself everywhere... What's he up to?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
Re: Rubbing himself everywhere... What's he up to?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »

It is funny when they do that although it doesn't do the carpet any good.  I expect most of us cat owners have long given up being house proud even if we ever were!

I will put it down to a new habit he has developed I think, and very sweet it is too. It is such a performance, he completely flattens himself to the floor with his chin pushed into carpet and legs all splayed out, if I can catch him on camera or video I will post it to give you a cute overload!

XXX

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
Amber does an odd carpet pulling thing, she lies on her side and pulls herself along with her front claws, normally if she has been playing or when oh comes in from work and she is happy to see him (she loves him!) its always a happy thing

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 17:12:43 PM »
Do you mean like scent marking? My Lukey does this alot, rubs doorframes, bannisters, chairs, my legs, my hands, my head - anything he can get his cheeks on! Interesting to read he is producing Feliway type phermones when he does this, kind of like he's soothing himself by rubbing himself up against things.

Cat Smell and Bunting

The toes are only one place that boasts scent glands. Cats have similar scent glands in the skin of the chin, lips, cheeks, forehead, and tail. The behavior of rubbing the head and body against people, other animals, and objects is called bunting.

Bunting spreads your kitten’s signature odor upon whatever he rubs, and this “sharing of the scent” identifies family members and safe objects with familiar odor. Bunting is a huge compliment when Kitty head-bumps you, or rubs your ankles and twines his tail about your leg. He’s marking you as part of his family, a favorite part of his territory or property.

Studies indicate that specific pheromones produced by cheek glands have a calming influence on cats. They’ve been artificially reproduced in the Feliway products, and these pheromones identify territory as safe. Another pheromone fraction produced by the cheek glands identifies other cats as friends.

http://cats.about.com/od/amyshojai/a/cat-smell-scent-talk.htm

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 17:00:29 PM »
No catnip, just a da mousey and cat cubes.  It is the chairs and carpet he's rubbing. He seems to be enjoying himself. His skin and coat are fine, no itchiness.

Hope he's not having a territorial crisis... he and Izzy seem perfectly well suited and there are no fights between them.

Is odd that he has only just started it.  He's healthy and shiny so I won't concern myself too much, just wondered if aybody else had experienced similar behaviour..

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 16:27:25 PM »
Sounds like he is just trying to make it smell of him  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 16:25:03 PM »
do any of these toys contain catnip, by any chance?

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
Rubbing himself everywhere... What's he up to?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »

My boycat Cash has started a funny and rather cute habit and I am wondering if it means anything or if it is just one of those inexplicable cat things.

When Izzy, our girlcat (they are both neutered) is playing around on the floor chasing her toys etc.. he starts rubbing his chin and his chest against the chair or he lies squashed flat on the carpet, rubbing, wriggling and cavorting around and gradually pulls himself towards her.   He and Iz have been living and playing together for a year and he has only just started it.  He is just over 3 and she is 2.

It isn't worrying me and is really quite adorable and fun to watch..... I am just curious as to why he would start doing this at this stage and if it reflects dominance or
subservience.... or  something sexual.... or just nothing ??? Any ideas or does anybody else's cats do this?

Jo

Link to CatChat