Author Topic: More tests for Ginger, vibes please?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
Re: More tests for Ginger, vibes please?
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 15:45:23 PM »
Fingers crossed!!!  :crossed:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 21:48:37 PM »
Fingers crossed the new tablets can do what's needed :care:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 20:56:31 PM »
thanks, she still has no symptoms despite her kidney problems and her inflamed bladder and bacteria in her urine, which is what is confusing the vet  :Crazy:
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline den22

• Distinguished Cat
  • In loving memory of my beloved Butch 1998-2010
  • Slave to: Fudge & Ariel
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 20:43:36 PM »
Sending Ginger lots of get well vibes  :hug: :hug: :hug: fingers crossed that the pills work for her  :crossed:

Denise  :hug:
Xxx
The Purrs 2013 Christmas Auction is now on!
All funds donated to Feral & Stray Foundation  - starts 17th November to 1st Dec 
Will you be a bidder, or donate something to auction - or both?!

Den22

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 20:29:01 PM »
Just thought I would update:
Ginger has had a urine test 1 week after convenia jab and the convenia is not working. Her urine is so dilute it is not getting to her bladder in high enough concentration to clear the bacteria.
There are 2 different drugs we can try, but one of them has to be administered with a syringe full of water as otherwise it will cause ulcers in her throat, so we are going with the other one first which I will pick up tomorrow. Will do another cysto urine test after she has a week of these pills and fingers crossed these one clear it, or it will have to be the riskier antibiotics.
Gingers vet is lovely and always does the procedures and phones me herself which is great, but Ginger is still Conundrum Cat!

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 15:48:49 PM »
Well in lab conditions convenia does affect the type of bacteria she has, hence the thought that she isn't processing the convenia properly due to her decreased kidney function?
The marks on her kidneys are really tiny, look smaller than a grain of rice, so the vet does not want to operate, especially not knowing if they really are stones or mineralisation, she has no crystals or stones or anything in her bladder though it is inflamed (due to the infection still present)
They gave her some lunch while she was there and the vet was shocked at how much Ginger likes her renal food  :rofl:
will see how much she confuses the vets on wednesday  :rofl: :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 18:11:59 PM »
Just a thought but convenia is not meant for certain things but some vets are using cos a two week abs jab is great for cats who dont like vets or cant be pilled easily.

Just another point that may not be relevant but the down fall of Napoleon were kidney stones? in the tubes and they broke up and susequently got into his baldder and blocked him. They were not struvite so the only way of help was for his bladder to be opened and them being removed.

It was reckomended at around age 15yrs by Bristol after seeing his xrays and tests that he was not operated on because he had only one working kidney and of course his age and seizures.

Just thought that this maybe something to discuss with the vet because had Napoleon been operated on at that time he may have lived longer than his nearly 18yrs but of course the anesthetic could have killed him!

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »
poor Star, especially with his gorgeous coat!
Ginger is not impressed with her baldy bits, her poor tummy! It feels quite warm as well so I hope she doesn't catch a chill. Will have to turn the radiators with the beds on for her.

snoozles to Star from my baldy bits Ginger, hehe

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:55 AM »
So glad she is home all all is well and what a clever girl stumping the vet

I have Star here who was shaved due to the mess of his coat caused by his previous caring owner >:(
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 09:11:56 AM »
She is home safe and sound and demanding cuddles. She is such a mummys girl I really do miss her when she is not here.
and the tests revealed.....nothing. She has stumped the vets!  :rofl: clever girl!
She has a very large bald patch on her tummy which matches the one on her neck and the one on her leg  :rofl: Might start knitting her a little jacket.
They don't know why she still has bacteria in her urine which is susceptible to convenia, which she had, but she has no symptoms of cystitis. Two theories are that her body isn't processing the convenia properly and she needs a different AB or that in the 2 week gap when she had no ABs the bacteria came back. So, she has had another convenia jab and will be cysto tested on wednesday next week, if there is bacteria then we try a 6 week course of a different AB. If the bacteria has gone then the convenia does work, but the bacteria comes back very quickly.
Scan and x-ray revealed both kidneys are undersized, her right one smaller than her left. They also both have a couple of white spots on which could be mineralisation (common in CRF apparently) or very small kidney stones but it is not in her interests to operate and have a look.
Once this bacteria in her urine is sorted then she can just go for 6 monthly kidney checks, so not so many tests for her. She was very glad to be home last night! (Although Fred just wanted to play and wrestle)

so, fingers crossed we will have answers soonish and can avoid the vets for a little while! (as nice as they are there)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 19:18:22 PM »
Hope she's home safe and sound by now and having purry cuddles  :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 17:50:26 PM »
She is due home in half an hour, can't wait to have her home.
I am normally quite positive about them but just had a down day I think with her going back again for more tests. I am a regular at the vets now and don't even have to say at reception I am here with Ginger, lol, they recognise me.
Will just work on making sure they are spoilt rotten!
oooo, thanks for that link, its there one year adoption day soon so will order some as a treat! and might as well bump it up to 20 to get free delivery and get them some toys too  :evillaugh:
Had a wonderful evening with them last night, let them in the bedroom (where they are not normally allowed) and they were playing bed mice in a major way! both of them running around like nutters for 2 hours until I was crying with laughter nothing is so funny as a kitten playing bed mice when there are no bed mice and doing it so frantically at 1 in the morning  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 19:58:16 PM »
Sending lots of vibes for Ginger  :hug:  I think it's worse when they freeze - makes you feel worse than when they struggle :(

re treats - would these be any good for her?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_treats_catnip/cat_snacks/beaphar/97848

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 19:39:26 PM »
The scared thing is never easy and I know how hard that feels in fact its the only time for a couple of mins twice a year I get to touch some of mine  :( :(

I think quality of life for however long outweighs anything else, let them be all they can be and sometimes mother nature lets you have them for a bit longer, I know that we have had some really bad diagnosis over the years and the Clan members have always outlived the vets prognosis

treat them as the wonderful babies they are and try to be a tad more positive sometimes they surprise you

Just to say our long haired ginger Phoenix was given 6 months due a heart problem, he is now 10 years young is on no tablets still has the odd bad day but lives his life to the full
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 18:27:27 PM »
It definately is quality of life that is important and just to say Napoleon only had one working kidney for at least 3 years of his life and definately longer but there was no way of finding out how long.

He went to the bridge a few months short of his 18th birthday.

I hope they will have loads of time with you still  :hug: :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 16:23:10 PM »
Thank you, she is having extra cuddles but is also running around like a complete nutter as usual.
Just don't like how scared she gets poor baby girl.
The problem with treats is that they aren't good for their kidneys and Benji can't have any normal cat treats as it comes out the other end pretty quickly  :sick: so it means buying one treat for kitties, chicken for Benji and becomes impossible to give them the treats in the middle of a feeding frenzy! Might ask the vet if I am allowed to give her a bit of chicken as a treat, its quality of life not quantity after all...
My fiance does not think Fred and Ginger will live that long with all the complications and problems they keep having, so we should spoil them rotten while we have them.
It would be great to be able to speak to her so she understood what was going on and why!

might just get her a new toy too.

I think it just gets me down every now and then, them being so poorly (although you really wouldn't know it watching them at home)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 16:10:37 PM »
Poor thing, if only we could speak to them!

Can she have cat treats? You can get cranberry ones which might be good for her bladder (although of course there's no guarantee she'll like them!).
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 14:51:00 PM »
Poor Ginger, hope the tests are ok and she is not too scared  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 14:38:00 PM »
Poor baby :care: Hope everything goes OK  :hug:  Give her plenty of these :care: and these  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
Poor Ginger and hope she doesnt get too scared  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
Bless her   :Luv: hope all goes well for the tests and that she isnt too scared  :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
More tests for Ginger, vibes please?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »
Gingers got to have more tests done for her kidneys, she went in for a load when she had cystitis and had a full work up (blood and cysto test) she was then given a 4 week course of convenia antibiotic jab and went in for re-testing (blood and cysto again) 2 weeks after that wore off (which was last wednesday)
got the results back and she still has bacteria in her urine as well as the antibiotic, so now theres concerns that something is wrong with her bladder as well as her kidneys, so her vet wants to do x-rays and ultrasounds of both her kidneys and her bladder on wednesday. Her vet (Alex) is very good and makes sure that all the tests and everything are done by her so we have real continuity of care and she is very nice, but Ginger hates the vets, she doesn't fight she just freezes in the corner, completely terrified and then doesn't like anyone to touch her afterwards (I think because the cysto test hurts). They always say how good she is and easy to test and everything, I just wish she didn't need to have so many tests all the time. Fred doesn't have half as many tests as Ginger but is at a different vet for cost reasons as his insurance won't pay out for his CRF, but he will be transferred to the same vets as Ginger once I start work full-time (finish uni end of this month)...
Just don't know how to make Ginger feel better? I would give her some chicken as a treat when she comes back but that won't help her kidneys and she has toys beyond count as thats the only way I can treat them now...
 :tired:
just feeling really sorry for her and wish I could do something  :tired:

Link to CatChat