Author Topic: Cat having tooth removed  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat having tooth removed
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 14:00:42 PM »
Suspect it will gradually get better but think you need to ask the vet cos it doesnt need to get infected.

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 12:33:20 PM »
Hi everyone hope you and your kitties are all ok! Jack has been fine since his tooth pretty much back to normal. But one thing I have noticed is he has a sore on his top mouth area by his whiskers. I think its where his bottom tooth keeps rubbing on it where his top tooth is missing to hold his mouth in correct position (if that makes sense!) It does look sore is there anything I can do to help? Or will it always be sore where its rubbing?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Glad he's feeling better, the claw clipping will take about a week before he's got some sharps back. Fronts come back quicker than rears, he'll target your trees and furniture until he's happy his front paws are correctly pointy. He'll need to gnaw the back ones to get the husks off and reveal the fresh sharps underneath as they grow back.

The excessive biting and scratching was probably a combination of weird post-anaesthesia woosiness and the strange feeling of having no sharps. He would expect to feel his claws scratching his neck, instead there just rubbing (metacam+ soft claws). This is unusual for him and he may feel the world is a bit askew as a result.

I liken this the the feeling when you've just shaved/waxed your legs for the first time after the winter and that surreal "not mine" feeling you get when you put your jeans on afterwards - anyone get where I'm coming from here or is it just me?  :oh well:

Chubby had both canines out and now needs a flatter bowl shape to hoover up his food easily, try Jack with a side plate instead of his bowl and see if he's more comfortable eating off that.

My vet only clips claws if I ask him too but I know there is a train of thought that cats with mouth discomfort are liable to pawing and sratching their mouths which can introduce infection - perhaps your vet has decided it better to anticipate claw damage by clipping while sedated (or maybe he just does this as a "favour").

Did he charge for the claw clip, though? Mine ask about £7 if I request clipping as an "extra" to consultation. It's free if it's deemed part of the designated treatment.  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 08:12:54 AM »
I feel better about me not being able to give Fred his tabs as his whole mouth was affected due to the number removed.

It is weird that vets clipped all his claws without being asked to.  Our vet doesn't like clipping claws without there being a good reason.  I found it a bit annoying once or twice tbh but understand his reasoning for cats that go outside.  Length of time they take to grow back will depend on how short they have been clipped I suppose.

Am so glad he is feeling so much better  :)

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 08:00:35 AM »
Yes have managed to give him his tablets luckily was worried about hurting him but opened his mouth from the other side as to not hurt where the tooth came out!!

Hes perked up a lot but he doesnt like me atm. Has been avoiding me I finally managed to get a cuddle of him this morning. He still dribbling a bit and looks funny when hes eating but apart from that all good. Hes struggling to get over the fence since his claws have been clipped as their quite high any idea how long they will take to grow sharp again?  :P

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 18:01:59 PM »
I am starting to believe that many vets are now  tending to use this 3? drug combination for ops and not sure that its good.

I hope that he perks up a bit more today and think you are right to contact the vet if not cos tomorrow is Friday..........why is it alway close to a weekend.......sigh

Sending lots of get well vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 11:26:59 AM »
I think Metacm given by injection lasts a couple/few days so he should be pain free today.  Our Fred didn't have any Metacam drops after lots of teeth being removed and he was OK.  I on the other hand was a wreck. 

Are you managing to give him his ABs OK?  I was a complete whimp and took Fred to the vets to give them for 1st few days as I was worried about hurting him  :-[
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:28:53 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 09:37:51 AM »
He has calmed down now and doesn't seem to be scratching or biting himself anymore. I was sure it was the side effects of anaesthetic/drugs but he had these before and never been like this that's why I was worried but he's a lot better now. He's actually very quiet today so far. Not wanted a fuss or anything. Ill keep an eye on him as the day goes by and ring the vet after maybe if he doesn't perk up. I just don't want him to be in pain if its hurting him.  Id rather buy some metacam to give at home!  :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
How is he today?  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 00:36:01 AM »
I think it will be as a result of the anesthetic but just hope he is not in pain..............I know that Lupin was crazy after he had been neutered and reading up on anesthetics they seem to use a combination of drugs and one of them can haver a lot of side effects.

Do your vets have a 24/7 service, if so it would not harm ringing them.

I hope he is alright  :hug:

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 21:07:15 PM »
I dont know whether to be a little concerned or not. Since we got back Jack hasn't wanted to sleep which he usually does after an anaesthetic. He seems almost irritable... he keeps scratching hard on his neck quite aggressively until little lumps of fur were coming out. He also keeps grooming himself and biting his foot and legs. Could this be a side effect to the anaesthetic? Should I be worried? Hes struggling with his claws being trimmed to as he cant grip onto things. Not sure why they trimmed them I never do. Maybe that's why his scratching isn't working enough? Now hes got almost no top canines and no sharp claws I hope hes able to defend himself outside!

He just wont lay still or calm down just acting weird all round really.  :'(

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 17:17:38 PM »
Pleased to hear Jack is back safe and sound  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 16:19:19 PM »
So pleased he is home and sounding good if he is hungry  ;D ;D

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 16:09:08 PM »
Thank you  :thanks: not long been home with him but he's fine! Looking a bit sorry for himself but has come back and gone straight for the food bowl  :rofl: he's had some boiled chicken.

Looks a bit funny both arms are shaved and he struggling to chew a little. They also trimmed all his claws so he can't seem to understand why he can't grip onto anything! He's had injection metacam but havnt come hone with anything other than anti biotic tablets so hopefully won't be in to much pain after tomorrow. glad it's over and he's home  :Luv:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:53 AM »
Thinking about Jack today and you for that matter  :hug: 

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 16:02:58 PM »
Thanks ive just rang to double check and they have said water is ok all night and to take food up at 6.30. Jacks just come back and he can go for hours on end so had to lock him in now and hes clawing at the cat flap already think im in for a long night! Hes a greedy thing too so ill give him a massive feed at half 6 and hope he doesnt keep us up all night  :shify:

When were in bed and hes hungry he likes to jump around the bed and meow at you and if that doesnt wor he lays on the floor and claws him self up against our leather bed  :naughty:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 15:33:13 PM »
We remove food at 10pm and leave water down all night

We have regular dentals here because of of our feral crew and most bounce back and are crunching biscuits the same day

Hope all goes well
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 14:54:41 PM »
Agree that 6pm is very early.  Our vet says 8pm but I know some folk have been told as late as 10pm.

I don't recall being advised to withdraw water but you do need to ring the surgery and make sure on both counts. 

Our darling Fred (sadly RIP) came from RSPCA in 2006 with advice that he needed a "few" teeth removed.  He actually had to have virtually all his teeth removed.  Our vet left 2 canines, upper and lower on same side, so he could still groom and defend himself. 

He was absolutely fine altho, like you, I was a nervous wreck  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 14:09:24 PM »
Ask your vet the last question...............1800 is very early to stop food, ask him if it can be around 2100, mine allows until midnight.

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 14:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies it makes me feel a little better. Ill be a worrying wreck tomorrow until they call and say he's ok! My insurance covers dentistry where its been caused by illness or accident. So hope the vets puts it was an accident rather than a weak tooth as its obvious to me that he has taken a bash of some sort as he had a cut ear as well.

Quick question I know I cant feed him after about 6 tonight. How about water? Take that away at 6 too or can he have this until later?

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 19:07:40 PM »
Algie had all his teeth out at the beginning of the year and he did have a couple of single stitches but can't remember for certain but I think one was where a canine tooth was removed. He did feel rather sorry for himself for a couple of days but soon bounced back  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 17:30:29 PM »
It will be harder to do things after losing a canine but effectively he has lost it already, so no different.

They will need to make sure they have the whole root out so a bit trickier than normal, but am sure he will be fine, cats recover so quickly. make sure the vet gives you some pain meds.

If your insurance will pay for dental treatment then you should be able to claim but it all depends on how the vet fills in the form..........they should be experts!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 16:20:56 PM »
Zephyr had one of his teeth removed a couple of months ago and he was fine after the op.  He was back to eating his biccies within 1 day.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline michelle_w

• Adult Cat
Cat having tooth removed
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 15:06:13 PM »
My cat Jack had an accident a couple of years ago where one of his top canines got chipped in half and his other top canine was knocked and went dead. They wernt causing a problem so were always left until now. Hes took another blow no idea how and the dead canine has been torn off to about the gum line with a little still exposed. Took to vets today to be checked and they said they want to remove it  :'(

My poor boy is always in the wars and always at the vets. I'm worried has anyone else had a cat had a top canine removed? How is he likely to be after? I gather its a bit tricky as have to cut into the gum and he said aboiut drilling  :shocked:

Will he be ok after its healed or may he have problems after eating etc? Also the first knock his tooth took was before I had insurance. But now I have and an excess of only £50 so if comes to 200 ish like he quoted would be worth claiming but not sure I would be able to? Technically hes bashed his face that's why its broken off not because it was already a bit dead in the first place?

Hate it when he's in all day for a procedure I spend whole day worrying! About the anaesthetic and him being in pain after.

Link to CatChat