Author Topic: Newly diagnosed heart failure  (Read 1473 times)

Offline cool4cats

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Tazzy, Fee-Fee, Flossy, Smallboy, Tushy & Stan - also to angel cat Charlie x
Re: Newly diagnosed heart failure
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 22:15:10 PM »
Hi Gillian,

First let me say how sorry I am that you lost your beloved Sam  :(

Secondly thanks for taking the time to reply, I'm sure it's painful for you to talk about Sam's illness.

Charlie's eating really well thank goodness and isn't a bit lethargic, he's out and about as usual.
I'm hoping he'll only need one draining ... I'm sure he'll need it as he looks quite tubby at the sides.

Many thanks for the link to the Feline Heart Yahoo group, I'll be sure to join it.

Take care,
Gill

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 21:56:32 PM »
Hi Gill (from a Gillian   ;) )

My Sam (RIP) had HCM. He was 10 when he was diagnosed and had become quite poorly at that point, he had fluid build up which was causing him difficulty breathing. He went in for a scan to see what was going on and of course they found the fluid and had to drain it there and then.

He was put on fortekor and diuretics and although initially he was still quite poorly and it was a struggle to get him to eat, but slowly he started to improve and I started him on taurine supplements (essential for heart) and also rutin supplement (his fluid was tested at the lab and found to be chyle - rutin had been shown to help in some cases). He did very well on this regime for 2 years and he only had to go in for that one drain, although I know some cats need frequent drains. I lost him last year when it became clear he was deteriorating and the meds werent helping anymore, and he had gone into congestive heart failure  :(

When Sam was first diagnosed I joined the Feline Heart group in Yahoo groups - there are lots of peeps on there going through the same thing and there's lots of good info. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/

Offline cool4cats

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Tazzy, Fee-Fee, Flossy, Smallboy, Tushy & Stan - also to angel cat Charlie x
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 20:37:36 PM »
Hi Gill,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry your cats have heart conditions, but happy to hear they are doing OK with medication.

The vet said Charlie had an enlarged heart too, so I take it an enlarged heart and heart failure go hand in hand.
Charlie's breathing is still the same, so the diuretic injection couldn't have done the trick.

We're taking him to see the vet in the morning, he may be having an x-ray and also the fluid drained away. Maybe he'll need to go on water tablets permanently.
I'm scared the x-ray will show up something more sinister ... I won't sleep tonight!

Gill

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 20:16:38 PM »
Hi Gill  :welcome:
From yet another Gill :rofl:

I have 5 cats and one of mine has a heart murmur and one has an enlarged heart (touch wood ,he has had no fluid build up ) . It was found when he was about 8years old , he had a heart scan and x-ray and was put on Fortekor which he is still on and is now 14 1/2 years old. Winston , who has the murmur is also on Fortekor and has been for about 2 years now . Both are doing well .
Smartie (enlarged heart) just has to be careful if he has to have an anaesethtic (sp) as the  reason it was found was because he went slightly blue and had to have extra oxygen after his sedation for his scan . If he has another scan in the future -it will be done with no sedation as its not worth the risk unless its a dire emergency for anything.

My sister lives in North Wales too.

Offline cool4cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 19:09:01 PM »
Thanks Gill and Dawn.

Thanks for the tip about the water Gill. I'll be sure to deliver your cuddles to Charlie.

Gill

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 18:31:06 PM »
I'm sure Gillian Ambercat has dealt with this - hopefully she or someone else who knows will see your post

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 18:13:11 PM »
I hope that Charlie does well on the meds and duretics will remove the fluid but not only from the place it is but the whole body so you need to make sure Charlie does not become dehydrated, water mixed with his food will help.

I hope some one can help with info on the condition and sending Charlie lots of cuddles  :hug: :hug:

Offline cool4cats

• Adult Cat
Newly diagnosed heart failure
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 18:08:37 PM »
Hi all,

My 13 year old cat Charlie was diagnosed with heart failure last week, my husband and I were devastated to be told this.
I thought heart failure meant that we would lose Charlie any day now but was relieved to be told there was medication he could go on.

I am of course new to this condition and would like to hear from other people who have cats with the same condition.

We noticed Charlie's breathing was quite heavy, kind of like a bellows. We took him to the vet and on examining him the vet told us his heart was enlarged and there was a fluid build up because his heart isn't working as it should ... then he said it was 'heart failure'.

He have Charlie a diuretic injection and 7 days of Fortekor, we have to take him back on Tuesday for a check up and a possible x-ray.

So if anyone else has a cat with this condition I would very much like to hear from you.

Thanks.

Gill

Link to CatChat