Author Topic: Lactulose  (Read 7537 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Lactulose
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 22:38:32 PM »
This is a great alternative to Lactulose. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIRALAX-14-DAY-POWDER-238GM-/380155109495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588302a077 it is a tasteless & odourless power so you can mix in in food or drink without them noticing. I saw it recommended on the Megacolon forum and have been using it since January. I only use it if Lazarus misses a day which is rarely as the RC constipation food is amazing. http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/Product-3997/Royal-Canin-Veterinary-Diet-for-cats/Royal-Canin-Feline-Fibre-Response-Cat-Food a small amount of this every day along with regular wet food is enough. Lazarus has moderate megacolon and it works for him, so I am sure it will work for constipation.

The lactulose dose is 2ml but I would never use it again. Apart from the fact that they hate it, the mess is a nightmare. Laz is long haired and I would spend the next day picking it off his chin & mane  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 23:41:07 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 15:21:52 PM »
There is always something to worry about.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 23:54:23 PM »
Oh sorry didnt remember he is diabetic but lactulose is also very sugary.

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 21:39:11 PM »
hmmmm, mixing food with water, might have to try that! As for the condensed milk, I think that will be too sugary for my diabetic! Oh well.
I really hope she poos properly soon!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 19:19:21 PM »
An old fashioned remedy is a little dob of carnation condensed milk mixed with water for him to drink, you can now buy tubes of carnation in tescoes which is better than a huge tin.

Because it is sweet they usually get round to drinking it eventually lol, mix with warm boiled water.

Give until they have action and by then they will shout for it if they dont get thier fix LOL, ween em off it.

To stop the constipation try mixing their food with water, its made such a difference for my 18yr old Ducha.

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »
My cat was also prescribed Lactulose in march as she was badly constipated, I only gave her a couple of doses, which were both by syringe but it gave her instant diarrhea, so my vet advised to stop it and use katalax instead. She has katalax daily but still gets constipation often (she is constipated at the moment but the vet said she could feel that the stools were small so would pass naturally if I gave her the katalax twice daily for a few days.) I've read you can try given them a little cows milk to act as a natural laxitive but I wouldn't do it often. I would ask the vet for advice again and to get advice on the doseage for him. x

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
Lactulose
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
My eldest cat (17) was prescribed Lactulose for his constipation a few years ago. Later I bought it over the counter as it was much cheaper than the vets. I put drops of it in his food which he hated and would eat round or leave. He has Katalax now which doesn't really help. I am thinking of giving it orally now with a syringe anyone know how much to give in one go he weighs about 9lb?

Thank you

Link to CatChat