Author Topic: litter tray blues  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: litter tray blues
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 11:09:28 AM »
Lovely news.  So pleased  :Luv:  Thanks for the update  :) 

I always follow litter tray threads to keep up with latest suggestions  :innocent:

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
thought i'd just share follow up on this little one because its encouraged me.  this was a cat i was afraid we'd just not be able to rehome because of her toilet issues.  i've just got an email from her new humans.  they've allowed her to go outside earlier than i'd ever have the courage to but say that she's just been going outside for the toilet, no mess in the house.  happy as anything - sleeps and snuggles with them, plays blissfully.  another poor young mum who has finally dropped on her paws.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 22:05:05 PM »
Great news :hug: ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 02:51:51 AM »
Thats wonderful news  ;D

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: mog, jango & sooty, honey & amber, and flipper ......... additional guests welcome :)
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 23:21:20 PM »
thought i'd just share the good news about this little one.  her tum seems to have settled.  we're down to a couple of poohs a day, and they're not horrid sloppy ones anymore.  the odd one seems rather misplaced - but mostly if there's an accident it seems to be that she's stood in the tray, and assumed it would go in the tray - but it drops outside. 

a lovely couple have been to meet her this evening.  and, fully aware of the difficulties she's been having, have agreed to adopt her.  i'm utterly delighted.  i'm sure things will be loads better for her once she has a home of her own, and is settled enough to be able to go out in the garden - that's a litter tray big enough for even the worst aim ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 21:22:02 PM »
As she eats less it will go down and 3-4 is getting better and thats how Lupin was and we are down to 1-2 now.

He is a little piggy wiggy and will scavange food from anywhere. He has a black hole in his tummy! Has no excuse as far as i know.

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 19:45:45 PM »
She eats quite a lot to be honest Gill.  Its difficult to know just how much because she's sharing with 5 kits, but she's always first in and last out when it comes to meal times.  I'm assuming its because she's lived rough and needed to grab food when she can, especially when she had tiny kittens out there.

Things are getting a bit better.  Down to 3-4 poohs a day.  And I've found that if I pick her up when she's finished eating her supper and put her in the lit tray she'll use it.  It's different in a morning though - she seems to do 2 or 3 poohs over night, but not one after her breakfast.  She's showing preference for open top lit tray I think - but doesn't seem to discriminate with the different litters.  Will remember the soil trick though - I can see that coming in handy at some point with someone.

She's been to the vet twice last week - once for pre-op health check and once to be speyed. And both times we've left the vet in no doubt what a problem she's having - but he doesn't seem to have taken on board that its excessive or think its anything to worry about.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 22:40:52 PM »
How much is she eating?

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
Try the old garden soil trick. Its a bit messy to wash the trays afterwards. Cover the litter with a thin layer of bog standard garden soil and then if she uses it. gradually reduce the amount of soil at each change.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 07:12:21 AM »
Six a day is excessive   :shocked: 
Usually toileting problems are down to 1 of 3 things, health related, stress or litter related.  If there are 6 poos a day I would say either health or stress related and would take her back to the vets.  Let us know how things go  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ambi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »
One of ours won't use her litter tray at all unless the litter is changed to new litter every day - it's worth trying

The only exception she has ever made is since I started to use Cats Best litter, she will tolerate it however I have to clean the pee & pooh balls virtually as soon as they are done

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:23:14 AM »
she was found by a canal with her kits when they were about 4 weeks old.  i think she must have been someone's pet at some point cos she's very friendly, loving, purry. 

its a horrid number of poohs  :sick:  even allowing for the possibility that i'm getting kitten and her pooh mixed up i know she's doing about 3 in the night whilst she's alone, and i often see her do another after supper.  the vet gave her an anti biotic just in case she had some infection.  but that doesn't sem to have made any difference.

she's been speyed liz.  though only last week as i said. 

can try separating them and use a pen if you think that might help.  the kits tend to go mad outside her door if they're separated from her.  but we could have a go,.

the washing and cleaning is sending my hand eczema into orbit.  i could live with that if i felt we were getting somewhere with sorting her out and helping her on the way to being rehomed.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:27:30 AM by midgecat »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:04:02 AM »
It sounds like an ingrained habit for her now  :shy: -  do you know her background at all, was she a stray with no history or a relinquished pet? Six a day seems a hell of a lot of poos too (even moreso for you having to clean up!  :hug: ) - I've never heard of a cat doing so many in one day  :shy:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 00:34:23 AM »
Back to basics I think, a large cat pen with food, litter tray and a bed and try to get her to use it again that way, sounds like she needs to be speyed to unless already done and maybe she wants to be the only cat and not mix with the others for a while
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline midgecat

• Adult Cat
    • 8 Lives Cat Rescue
litter tray blues
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 23:18:56 PM »
i'm currently fostering a young mum cat - the vet reckons she's only about 8-10 months old.  she's been living happily with her 3 kittens (about 12 weeks old now) and a group of other kits who are about 16 weeks old.  for several weeks she's been poohing on the floor.  she has a choice of many litter trays, large and small, covered and open, wood litter, corn litter, grit litter.  she does about 6 poohs every day and most of then are on the carpet.  she has a room on her own at night, and tends to do about 3 during the night - sometimes one or two in teh tray.  then in the day she's with the kits.  she'll regularly eat her supper, go for a wee in a litter tray, and then get out and pooh on the floor.  there's a big choice of trays, and i've normally cleaned them out whilst they're eating their supper so there's no lack of clean tray to get into.  she has 5 lit trays in her room, all to herself, over night.  she's been wormed.  she was spayed last week.  all the kits use litter trays.

wondering what on earth to do.  she's an adorable, friendly, purry cat - but never going to be able to be rehomed at this rate.

does anyone have any ideas?

Link to CatChat