Author Topic: Sickness and Diarrhoea In Kittens  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Sickness and Diarrhoea In Kittens
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 17:51:44 PM »
Sounding good and hope iy gets better and better  ;D

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 17:49:40 PM »
Hi all,

I just wanted to update this by saying that we're awaiting any tests, but I'm fairly sure they won't show any illness since the chicken has worked! Thanks for the advice, Gill. We're not quite there, but no more vomiting and stools appear a lot firmer.

Only problem now is that despite treating their parents, we appear to have fleas. Nothing's ever perfect is it? At least I know how to deal with this and I've caught early. Ick!

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 17:38:39 PM »
Okay, I'll get the samples done as planned - although, Dave had them and they showed nothing. Vet just thought the kittens were putting a bit too much strain on her system as she's just under a year now and incredibly petite.

I'll nip to the shop now and get some chicken for him. He does get it sometimes, but I can't remember how he was on it.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 17:32:17 PM »
I would get some poo samples tested, there are parasites such as Giardia and TF that can cause diarrhea, and also coronavirus, especially as the mum had it and the other siblings do too.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 16:31:43 PM »
The theory is that boiled chicken is very bland and usually doesnt upset stomachs and same for boiled white fish, the fish really upset Lupin and the boiled chicken was betterr than cat food but didnt stop the problem.

The RC pouches however worked quite quickly but I am being a total coward about trying ordinary cat food with him but know what ever I do I must only allow very small amounts of cat food and do this very gradually.

When you get to this stage try to only introduce one type of food and one flavour until you are sure its OK...............all this sounds so easy but it isnt .......sigh

Good luck at the vets tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 15:20:42 PM »
Thanks Gill. I am annoyed with the vet for not labelling it. I couldn't get to my normal one and I shan't be going back to them. They were generally pretty awful.

The mother's been neutered since they turned 8 weeks, so a good 5 weeks now. I assumed that they'd stop at this point, too. I asked a friend who has cared for several litters and she said she had some nursing as late as 4 months. My reading said it can last anywhere up to this point, but I'd be open to hearing any more about it. I was really concerned about it up until recently because Dave, their mother (never let a 5 year old name a cat!), was a little underweight. But she's a healthy weight again, so I've not worried myself about it too much.

I will definitely try a plain chicken diet. Another friend was telling me how this was all their cat could eat without being ill. As I've mentioned in another post, I'm keen to permanently change their diet. I want to do this when things are a little settled. This kitten should be going to a new home any time soon, but I won't let him leave until he's well. I'd hate for anything to happen to him, but I am feeling a little over-run by cats at the moment!

I'll try and get as far with this as possible with the vet tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 14:41:22 PM »
Your vet is very bad not labelling meds, they should be labelled and dated, please make sure they do this.

There seems to be so much of this upset tummy around and have you tried restricting his diet to boiled chicken for a few days to see if that helps?

Lupin who is a one year old kitten was like this from the time he arrived with me two months ago, and being older probably not as serious as for a young kitten. It has taken since then until two weeks ago for his tummy to settle, chicken didnt help, white fish made him even worse and then the vet gave me some sensitive food in tryas that he ate for a couple of days but then wouldnt touch!

He is currently still on RC Gastro intestinal pouches along with a bit of food he steals from another cat of mine. I dont know if these would be appropriate for your kitten but its worth asking your vet. It took a few days, maybe a week for Lupin to start improving and he gradually got better and better, eventually being solid.

He was going to have tests cos we also went down the abs route but was a 2 week convenia jab and had he not improved that was the next step. It didnt pass to Ducha who he shares trays with so not infectious.

Sounds like your kitten has inherited this from his mother and by still feeding this may be the cause of why he is still ill.

I know very little about kittens and their mothers but isnt it time he stopped feeding? Angie will know about this.

When is the mother going to be neutered, cos think this will stop the feeding.

Hope you can get this sorted out  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Sickness and Diarrhoea In Kittens
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
Hi all,

I've mentioned before that one of my kittens (now 13 weeks) is having some tummy troubles. He's still eating and drinking, but sometimes he'll either vomit or have diarrhoea.

He's been to the vet already and they prescribed antibiotics (I'm sorry, they didn't label it so I'm not sure which) and some lectaide. We've finished the recommended dose.

My plan is to take him back to the vet tomorrow and ask that they take samples.

He gets it with whatever he eats and although the vet was initially not certain what was causing it, he wanted to cover him with antibiotics in case it was something bacterial. This didn't appear to be the case, since he had a normal temperature and he seemed healthy in every other way. He still plays, but would rather be on my lap if he can be. His eyes are bright and his coat looks healthy. He's actually jumping about right now.

His mother was prone to diarrhoea for some time, but they could never find the cause and very occasionally, some of his brothers and sisters get a touch of it.

They are all still nursing. This happens about once a day now.

Does this sound like a problem with sensitivity or something else?

Should I keep him nil by mouth until we go to the vet?

I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Thanks in advance.

Link to CatChat