Author Topic: I have traumatised Percy - please help  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
Re: I have traumatised Percy - please help
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 22:14:14 PM »
Yeah, tell me about it!!  I did soooo love my RIP baby Avalo, but he wasn't half as affectionate & loving as Percy - although I actually think he was already suffering renal failure when I rescued him  :(  but he didn't have very many symptoms so it hadn't been diagnosed......When I first got Percy, I was always down the vet with him - I named myself their resident Munchausen-by-proxy-hypochondriac :innocent:!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 21:54:48 PM »
So glad he is loving his Mum again there is something so special about the ferals :Luv2:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 21:40:25 PM »
 :thanks: again everyone! xxx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 20:37:22 PM »
Woo Hoo .... so pleased you are back in good books  ;)

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 19:06:02 PM »
He'llcome round he's just punishing you.  If he had wanted to run off and have nothing to do with you he wouldn't have wasted his time training you. Cat's are not daft ... they know good people and he know's you are a good person.  Just takw it gently and he will soon forgive you  :hug:

Oh Sam, I so wish Sasa would agree with you on this!

So pleased he is back to normal the relief will be wonderful  ;D ;D

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 17:38:54 PM »
UPDATE:  PERCY HAS FORGIVEN ME!!!!  Now I feel such a fool for getting so worked up about it  :-[   :-[   Last night he came up onto the sofa and placed his two front paws on my leg and purred away.  I let him out then, but he came back when I called (albeit just to scoff some more dinner and then go out again) - and now this afternoon, he has allowed me to pick him up and have a cuddle with him  :hug:
Thank you to everyone who put up with my histrionics on here - you're real pals!! :hug: xxx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 19:31:15 PM »
He'llcome round he's just punishing you.  If he had wanted to run off and have nothing to do with you he wouldn't have wasted his time training you. Cat's are not daft ... they know good people and he know's you are a good person.  Just takw it gently and he will soon forgive you  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 17:50:20 PM »
Thank you all of you......I am finding this soooo hard, because it took a year to build up his trust and, previously, although 'trapping' him for a visit to the vet was horrendous, he always forgave me after a few hours.  I'm feeling that I must have done something far more 'violent' (????) to him for him to react like this......not feelin' good about myself at all really.  I have now taped up his cat flap, have given him some bach flower remedy in his food, and, although when I returned home this afternoon he did come towards me, purring his heart out, he just had some food and has now disappeared back under my bed.- so not like my Percy :'( :'(  I don't think he will disappear if I let him out after a few days - but I'm dreading going away if he still hasn't forgiven me........

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 14:06:02 PM »
I find with ging, i am usually forgiven after a couple of days.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 13:58:44 PM »
I have every sympathy being an owner of a semi feral who has been here 6 yrs and still cant touch her.

We had a kind of understanding but this is currently gone......sigh

When you break their trust they can be so suspicious for so long and they have a way of being upset that other cats do not have.

I broke trust with Sasa after putting her in a cattery for a few days and then locking the cat flap the first night she was home, she broke out and stayed away for 7 days, coming back with her mate Misa who apparently went to play with her every evening.

To get her to the vet I have to trap her in a corner where she freezes and try to get her to walk into a covered cage,. She again freezes for a time at the vets.

Right now the trust is completely broken and she totally freaks if she is locked in and doors are closed, Think thats why she hates me at the moment cos during the day I am having to keep one door closed.

I obviously do not know your area and how safe it is but I dont know if locking Percy in is a good idea but you know him best. Be prepared for Percy to leave when he is allowed out because I am sure he will punish you if he is anything like Sasa.

I am sure he will come back but could take a while.

Sending best wishes for things going right  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
All of ours have no issue with it being on wet food we just make sure its mixed in well and let them get on with it

Can't tablet half my ferals hence they get worming tablets at the vet when they are frozen to the boxes :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »
None of ours are bothered by Zylkene powder mixed in with wet food.  I certainly wouldn't force a capsule on him.

Unfortunately not aware of any fail safe methods  :hug:

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »
If you can get them all in then perhaps block the cat flap

Yes, I have the gaffer tape ready - now off to find the litter tray!! Re. the Zylkene tablets - bearing in mind he's a fussy eater at the best of times (so don't think sprinkling the contents on his food would work) how would I get them down him if I'm trying not to force myself on him? 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
If you can get them all in then perhaps block the cat flap get out extra litter trays and run a prison camp for the weekend when you are away and have the neighbour feed and do litter boxes on the premise of trying not to let anyone out, we have a wonderful Pet sitter Elaine, Bernies Mum and we have all of ours grounded and have the kitchen as a cat free zone so she can ensure nobody gets out past her

I sometimes think on occassions like this I am a Prison guard as opposed to the Clans mother, does make like easier and I feel happier and on the most part they sleep and plot my downfall when we are away, the dogs go to doggie borstal a.k.a the kennels

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:43 AM »
I have re-ordered a feliway diffuser (lost my original - not even sure that it did it's job, but I'll try again) and have some Bach flower remedies to hand which I'll try to mix with his food (and then hope he eats it, fussy boy that he is!).  Re. using treats - unfortunately, that was how I managed to grab him last time and, up to now, he is too wary of being duped again  :sneaky:     :thanks: for the helpful advice so far....I'll try it ALL - and I'm still open to any 'fail-safe' methods??!!!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
Oh dear, I know how hard it is to win a ferals trust and then you take them to the vet and are back at the cat hating human scenario :hug:

Agree with the Zylkene and Feliway from Rosella and  rescue remedy in the water just to help a little to

It is a shame about your vet we tend to book the first or last appointments for our ferals as we find there is nobody around at those times and it gives a little peace we also cover the cat boxes with towels so they can't see out and find this helps with the calming

We also leave a couple of set up cat boxes around the place with a nice bit of vet bed fleece in and find that this helps with them getting used to the box being out in their world doesn't always help but we find ours run to the safe box and then we can decant them to a box with a door on

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
As you are going away, I would get Feliway plugged in asap and start adding Zylkene to his meals. 

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/feliway-products-c-1/feliway-diffuser-pack-incl-feliway-diffuser-and-feliway-vial-p-334

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-behaviour-zylkene-tablets-c-837_427/zylkene-100-x-75mg-tablets-p-2094

I wouldn't push yourself on him.  I would wait until he comes to you.  Does he like any particular treat to tempt him your way.  Keep your eyes averted from his, even if he gets close enough to stroke and keep blinking at him.

Pity cat flap is bust.  I so feel for you as we have a wary boy (can't pick him up unless we scruff him  :( ) so my heart goes out to you.  Our Billy would be a very unhappy bunny if locked in one room too.  He'd really be on his guard but he can't resist Dreamies which is a god send.

ETA next time vet trip on the cards, suggest you get carrier out the night before or even days before...... and give it a quick spray of feliway......
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:21:24 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:58:01 AM »
My cat flap has broken atm, so don't have any way of keeping him in, unless I shut him in a room (which I think would stress him out even more now).  When I go away, my neighbour comes in and feeds him.  I've just got his 'old favourites' out, although he's not a great one for playing except with that all-time winner Da Bird - so I'll try him with that when he comes back in.  I've also spread some cat-nip around (although it's quite old, so don't know if it still has the 'niff'?)
I'm just feelin soooo bad for him.  :'(

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 08:45:27 AM »
no experience with ferals  but id be inclined to keep him in if you can- will he be kept in while youre away? hell come round given time and it wont take as long as before but i think id do some of the things you do to gain trust initially- lie on the floor and talk etc. to be honest, with mine after similar breaches of trust (mean lady with frontline i am) ive just picked them up and cuddled them till they give in and purr but thats with a cat that is used to being picked up and has not suffered from the initial fear of humans. does he have any food or toys he loves?

Offline Mitramonday

• Adult Cat
  • Percy
I have traumatised Percy - please help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:47:54 AM »
Percy is an ex-feral rescue cat who has been with me for over 2 years now.  In that time, he has progressed from living on top of the fridge-freezer for the first 3 weeks  :scared: to gradually realising that he was now in a super-loving home and was safe.  It took him a year before he showed his true colours of being an amazingly affectionate cat - often kissing me or waking up from a sleep to stretch, jump down and pad across the room to jump into my lap where he would then settle down to sleep again!  Believe me, the love is mutual - although unfortunately I am too big to jump onto HIS lap  :doh:
Getting him into his cat basket has, however, always been stressful (see my earlier posts) although it did seem to be getting easier as his trust in me increased.  However, it seems I have now undone all that trust-building in one fell swoop.  I had to get him to the vet on Friday for his boosters (before I go away at the weekend).  Unfortunately, my vet no longer has a 'drop-in' clinic which does increase the pressure, and Percy heard me opening the cat basket, so was already wary.  I enticed him towards me with some titbits and then went to pick him up, but he was too quick for me.  I then waited a few minutes (pretending to read!) and tried again - only this time, I 'grabbed' him and had to hold on pretty tight as he was struggling.  I'm sure I didn't hurt him as such and, at the vet, it all went smoothly (other than the usual stress signal of sweaty paws) but he will now not come ANYWHERE near me and watches me with real distrust if I have to walk past him.  In fact, he seems to be staying out - only coming in to feed and sleep.  It is tearing me apart seeing him like this - I feel sooo guilty and sooo sad (and sleepless!).  Please can anyone help me - or rather, Percy - hopefully before I go away on Friday? :'( :'(

Link to CatChat