Author Topic: New rescue cat swiping and clawing  (Read 2557 times)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Re: New rescue cat swiping and clawing
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 21:48:34 PM »
It takes time though. When I got Mogs she was the first cat I ever had and she taught me so much the main thing being leave her to decide what she wants and when and she will teach me. I thought I knew it all when I got Amber but having a friend with a nervous cat has made me realise its all on their terms or it doesnt happen. All cats are different so while Mogs would watch Amber as if she was mad for playing I know she trusted me and thats all that matters
love
Tab

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 19:29:20 PM »
I am sure he will come out of his shell quite quickly by the sound of your last post and think Liz was right about the space.

I understand how you feel about knowing your cat as I have been trtying to get used to Lupin over last two months and very hard initially  :hug: :hug:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 19:25:25 PM »
the foster I have in now was like this at first,mainly fear but I think as he started to trust me,also testing how is react.he's now very affectionate and totally trusting. as has been said id close up the house abit so he's got a smaller space to feel safe In,feliway or similar,toys and try to be around but not focussed on him and be patient with him,he's been let down before and needs to know he's home and welcome

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 17:36:10 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I did spend time with him in the rescue centre and stroked him,/handled him, he seemed fine and very friendly. He's affectionate still, just the odd swipe, though Im learning his body language a little and withdraw my hand when he seems to be about to react.

The clawing only really started when I got him home, although he is actually a lot better this morning. Seems much much calmer.
Liz, your comment about him finding the open space frightenning was something that never occured to me, I just assumed he would be glad to get out of the small pen but, thinking about it, it must be so overwhelming for him. He has started to explore today tho, sniffing around and has jumped on the windowsills so he can look outside.

I will try the Feliway/felifriend if he's still jumpy but I suppose time and patience and learning to trust me are what he needs.

Think it's also Im a bit wary of him, had previous cat 20 years and knew all her little foibles, it's a bit odd having a "strange" cat.
Im sure we will get used to each other, he really is a sweet cat. 

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 19:41:28 PM »
My first rescue cat took a while before she realised that stroking and stuff was on her terms. She would sit on the arm of the chair and I would stroke her only to find her mouth wrapped around my arm of that I was being thumped. When she understood that if she left me I wasnt going to follow and hassle her she was fine. Well fine until Amber moved in and then me and my friends all got thumped  :evillaugh:
It takes time before they relax and realise you dont mean harm
good luck with it all
love
tab

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 18:38:58 PM »
I found Felifriend to be quite useful. It's made by the same people as Feliway and works in a similar way. It uses pheromones to make the cat feel at ease but unlike Feliway (a plugin that humans can't smell but releases a relaxing pheromone smell to the cats) it's applied directly. Rub it in to your hands and gently stroke the cat. I think it's designed to help integration of other cats, the theory being to stroke each cat in turn and mix up he scents, but it might just help your new cat to know that you're a friend. Stick with it; he'll come around in time :)
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 18:07:56 PM »
He may be scared if he has the full run of the house after being in a pen and that can cause a lot of fear

Can I suggest that you try a feliway plug in and perhapsask the vet for some Zylekene for his wet food as this takes the edge of them and helps with fear which he sounds like it has

Also some catnip can be good, and restriction to one room that you can make his safe zone set up with food, water, litter tray and a nice bed and somewhere to hide that you can go in and sit with him and perhaps read a book and leave a radio on on something soft, ours like Jazz FM on low so you can start to build up trust between you

I am currently doing this with a terrified baby bengal and so far it is working for us
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 17:13:57 PM »
Sorry dont know the answer but didnt you stroke him or anything while he was at the rescue?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 16:27:51 PM »
one of mine used to nip when she first came home, she'd been in rescue for several months and had a rough home life before, once she relaxed and realised we liked her she stopped, hopefully he will do the same

Offline beeley

• Adult Cat
New rescue cat swiping and clawing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 14:05:58 PM »
Hello
I have just brought home a rescue tom cat- neutered, about 10 years old. He was described as affectionate and laid back, he has been in the rescue's cattery about 9 to 10 months.

He seems very friendly, coming up for a fuss and purring, but when I stroke him he aggressively claws/swipes at me at me and runs away, then comes back and does it again. There is no growling or hissing, just the clawing.

I would imagine, despite the friendliness, he is pretty frightenned, overwhelmed and unsure. He was also an ex pet/stray when he was found so has possibly not had a great time of it over the past couple of years.

Does this seem pretty normal behaviour?

Link to CatChat