Author Topic: CRF and pain relief  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: CRF and pain relief
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »
Sorry to hear of this, can I suggest you pm Mark as he is the CRF king and knows so much about the do's and don'ts sure he wouldn't mind or pop over to catchat as he is on there quite a bit  :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
The reason that I asked is that with older cats they can put them on fluids for the day before an anaesthetic to help the kidneys. Obviously if he was ancient and his CRF was fairly well progressed then that wouldn't be an option at all but 14 is fairly young so if the CRF is not too far progressed it might be worth discussing the possibilities of a dental rather than ruling it out completely  :hug:

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »
Hes around 14 (got from rescue so approximate ) Dont have figures but hes been on fortekor for 6 months. Last blood test shows little deterioration in that time although levels elevated and seems pretty well apart from teeth problems
Can get levels from vet if that helps x
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
CRF and pain relief
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
Sorry to hear about Whisky :hug: How old is he and do you know how far along his CRF is, have you got the blood result figures? :hug:

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
CRF and pain relief
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 00:05:08 AM »
Hi
Our cat whisky is crf and has now developed teeth/gum problems which is causing him a fair amount of pain when he eats. Vet gave him anti-biotic injection a week ago and wont consider dental because of the anaesthetic risk with his crf. Talked to vet today and he said we could use metacam but this will speed up crf. Anyone know of any other product we could use for him.?
 If metacam is the only option then we will go with this as dont want the poor old boy to suffer uneccesarily but equally want him to be pain free as safely as possible  :'(
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Link to CatChat