Author Topic: Female cat wont accept new male cat  (Read 1729 times)

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
Re: Female cat wont accept new male cat
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 16:59:52 PM »
I read somewhere that if you rub the new cat with a teatowel and then put the teatowel under the food bowl of the cat who's upset, this can often solve the problem - the upset cat then associates the smell of the new cat with food. Don't know if it works but it could be worth a try!
Thanks Jezebel for the suggestion but they all steal from each others food bowls and so on and sleep on the same furniture so in this case it would not make a difference. I dont think its a simple introducing issue as I've had the new cat about five weeks and I dont think she is jealous but maybe she is.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:25:32 AM by sarasara »

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 16:36:52 PM »
I read somewhere that if you rub the new cat with a teatowel and then put the teatowel under the food bowl of the cat who's upset, this can often solve the problem - the upset cat then associates the smell of the new cat with food. Don't know if it works but it could be worth a try!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 15:13:32 PM »
She attacked him a half an hour ago and even though she does not touch him she really scares him and he had a sort of breathing fit and had to have his mouth wide open and was sneezing. I did something unusual and hit her lightly a couple of times to try to get the message across. I had a suspicion that she may not like him because he may be diseased but then the other two cats dont mind him. Cats can be heaven and cats can be hell sometimes ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 15:33:39 PM by sarasara »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 20:38:11 PM »
I so wish cats could talk and tell us what the problem is.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 19:39:18 PM »
it does just take time, I had terrible trouble with two of mine, they actually came from rescue as  pair but we soon found out they couldn't stand the sight of each other!  they still have to the odd moment and if looks could kill, well!  however that said 99 times out of 100 they just ignore each other and most of the time its peaceful - stick with it, you will get there 8)

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 19:34:54 PM »
Thanks Gill. Yes he is neutered. There is no sense to it really and he introduced himself; just turned up one day over the fence. She may be dissaproving that from time to time that he dissapears for a couple of days in good weather and comes back smelling different. She also started spitting at the other two males for a few days. Maybe she thinks tha a new young male might bring a female. I think she wants him dead. There is nothing really I can do except keep an eye. I'm sure time will sort things. What does not help is that my little male cat likes him and wants to make friends but the new cat does not know how to play with other cats. My old boy does not mind him at all it's just her.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 17:58:54 PM »
Bringing a new cat in can seriously upset the balance, I assume he is neutered?

I am suffering too but think its more the new cat that is too blame and he will have been here 2 months next week.

How did you do the introductions and for how long?

Some times introductions can take a very long time and know it took a very long time with my original two birmans. A level of toleration was gained which in my twp big moggies heads.....well one of them lol, was actually much more and when Napoleon went to the Bridge in May, Misa moggy missed him loads.

There some occasions when the new cat just cant be integrated but I am hoping that is not the case here and also with you.

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
Female cat wont accept new male cat
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
I had three cats. One an old male and two two-year oldish cats a male and female who have known each other since small. A new stray arrived; a young starving cat who I have now domesticated and had speyed. The male cats dont mind him but the female cat hates him and spits, growls and tries to attack him. She wont accept him into the herd. This has gone on now for nearly two months. He has his own room to sleep, his own toilet and foodbowl so I cant see any territorial issues. Anyone experienced this? Thanks.

Link to CatChat