Author Topic: Administering Syringe to Kitten  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
Re: Administering Syringe to Kitten
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 23:08:38 PM »
Yes, that's definitely worth a go! Similar to how I used to have to give it to my gerbils. Anything to get him right again. I really wanted to get him in his new home next week, but that's not happening now.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 22:48:24 PM »
What about boiling up some chicken and seeing if he will drink the resulting chicken flavoured water mixed with Lectade/antibiotics with no need for syringing?

Hope he starts to feel better soon :care:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 22:43:26 PM »
6kg! Wow. I'll be quiet about my 1.14kg kitten, then  :)

Unfortunately, I live alone and there's no one around to help this weekend. Stupid bank holiday!

I'll soldier on. He seems to be recovering nicely. I'm annoyed I have to give him his ABs like this, the vet  :censored: up the injection and just gave it to me to take away, so it's really hard to tell if I've got the right amount.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 22:21:23 PM »
I was told to syringe water into my cat when he was poorly but had a hell of a job as he is just too big and strong (6kg+ and very lean, all muscle) plus I was worried about stressing him and hurting him. He ended up having to be hospitalised on a drip so while I'm not trying to scare you I'd say really do persevere - I know it's stressful for all concerned  :hug:

Is there anyone that can hold him while he's wrapped up for you so you have both hands free?  :hug:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 22:10:02 PM »
Hi Liz,

Thanks for your reply. They're separated because the vet I saw couldn't tell whether he had something contagious. I suspect that he does, since a couple of the others had similar symptoms but nothing as serious or as long lasting. Unfortunately, I've only just been allowed to give him water and I'm supposed to restrict food until tomorrow (should have mentioned this, sorry!), so I can't put it in anything. I'll certainly try with the food tomorrow, but I have a few doses to give before then.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 21:25:26 PM »
Can you seperate them at feeding time and mix the syringe amount with a small portion of wet food ort a small helping of Tuna, thats how I got the liquid Synulox in my youngest feral girl Kali after she hated me doing this and putting cream in her eyes 4 times a day
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Administering Syringe to Kitten
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 21:07:09 PM »
Hi all,

One of my Kittens (now 12 weeks) has been poorly. Having seen a vet (who I was not exactly impressed by), he has been prescribed an antibiotic for the next few days along with some Lectade. Both need administering by syringe and I'm struggling! My usual trick is to wrap them in a towel to help with the wriggling, but I'm used to doing this with much smaller animals. It kind of works but I was wondering if anyone else had any tips about how else I can do it?

My poor scratched hands can't take any more of it, and it's not exactly stress free for him!

Link to CatChat