Author Topic: Just rehomed two cats one has settled the other is very upset  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Just rehomed two cats one has settled the other is very upset
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 10:30:38 AM »
young ones are a shock!!

Offline MaryFM

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Soks and Moet
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 22:41:09 PM »

Thank you so much to everyone with your kind replies. I am so glad I found Purrs.

Socks and Mo have been exploring the house (sounds like a mansion it's a terrace one lol) I found Mo sitting on the set top box again she was using it as I short cut. Socks is finding her paws and being a bit more adventurous and both seem to like my kind of music though I have let them hear my bagpipe cd's.

I have noticed the youngest one Mo is pushy with Socks regarding food, when I went to collect the girls from their previous mum I saw that they were to eat from the one bowl i.e. bowl of dried and one of wet and Mo would just push Socks out of the way.
I always had my angel girls Darcey and Sophie fed in different areas i.e. Darcey on the floor and Sophie on top of the freezer.  I am trying to separate Mo and Socks but Mo is such a wee rascal as soon as I get Socks settled down Mo will bound over and pushed her out of the way she will take a couple of mouth fulls and go back to her dish.
For all the cats I have had over years I have never had a pushy cat so I guess now that I have the youngsters I'm learning everything fresh again.

Both girls are such fun and we will learn together it's just I'm a tad out of touch with youngsters.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 20:57:37 PM »
great news!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 14:12:52 PM »
Wonderful  ;D ;D

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
So pleased to hear Socks has settled down and by the sounds of it is going to be quite a cuddlebum  :)  They sound like a lovely pair of girls, I hope their liveliness and antics bring you joy and help to ease the pain of Darcey's passing  :hug:

Offline MaryFM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »
Hi everyone and thank you for your kind wishes.

Socks has come out of her shell suddenly she was in the living room with Mo, and I just acknowledged her and she came over gingerly sniffing around as she came towards where I was sitting, I let her sniff my hand and I gently stroked her chin and side of her head and that was it she has been sitting on me, sits beside me purring away and she even curled up on Darcey's blanket which sits next to the monitor, obviously she and Mo are still flighty with the strange noises in my house and with creaky floorboards it can quite sound like a crypt.

Both girls have been very busy exploring, earlier to day Mo got caught on my net curtains and pulled them and the rail down which I will have to wait till my son comes home to put back up as I am too short to reach.
Mo and Socks are certainly lively and complete contrast to my beloved Darcey who in her senior years enjoyed a very laid back life.

Thanks once again to everyone who replied and for your sympathy on Darcey's passing.

Mary

Offline LilyandGary

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 18:53:48 PM »
So sorry to hear about Darcy, and bless you for taking on adult cats in need.

I foster, and it can take a while for cats to settle in, eg I had a brother and sister in recently. He took it all in his stride, she spent 2 weeks hiding under or on top of the bookcase. I tend to leave them to it and let them come out in their own time. One of the probs was the orginal owners got a puppy who became a huge adult dog, and was a bit loopy to say the least. My dogs are fairly elderly now, and she did get used to them in time.

An older couple came to see him to see if they would like to offer him a home. In the time it took me to find him (top of the stairs) his sister had got on the chap`s knee and started purring. Talk about selling herself, they fell for her hook, line, sinker.

One hour later and one very happy little lady patrolling around her new home.

I hope your 2 new babies soon chill and come out of themselves. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 18:16:05 PM »
I think you should leave it as its the one place that she feels safe right now and she will let you know when she wants to be in other places............this all needs to be done very slowly  :hug: :hug:

I am in about week 7 of a new cat in my house and not sure things are improving LOL. He is a very determined to do what he wants cat and gets in a fitty hiss and swipe if he doesnt get his own way.......sigh

Offline MaryFM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 17:46:36 PM »

Thanks everyone for you kind help.
Socks came out of the cat house and was sitting on my kitchen worktop with her partner in crime Mo, I talked to Socks for a few moments I could see on her face she was worried as I was in between her and the house.

I just let her look me over then I left the room. She has been using the litter tray and the food has been disappearing  and I'm pretty sure for the quantity that's going it just can be Mo alone.

I know Socks is using the Cat bungalow as her safe haven I just wondered how long should I let her stay in there? There other places she can hide away in that I could have a sneaky peak to make sure she is ok but where the bungalow is in my kitchen I don't have a proper view and she's out of sight all the time unless she sits at the side that has a steeple type roof then I see her head. I only put the thing in the kitchen as it was so big and Darcey didn't go into it. At  the moment both cats are in there I hope there's not a conspiracy going on.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 13:41:54 PM »
I would get some Feliway plugged in and perhaps if you are feeding them wet food try some Zylkene added to it as it takes the edge of them and gives some confidence

Also if you have some catnip around I would put some on the floor near where you are sitting and let them have a party with the stuff, if no reaction get hold of some dried valarian and that should have the same effect

Also leaving a radio on in the room where they are also gets them used to human voices, we use hame or chicken as a treat and get them to come to us whilst sitting on the floor for the treat and find bribery helps them associate you with nice things

Also so sorry for the loss of Darcey :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 13:33:55 PM »
Just time and the ham part is a food thing lol................has Socks eaten at night or used the tray yet?

Just keep your distance and the floor is a good place because you are at their height then.

I hope socks will come to you soon and maybe a toy on a stick will help and some treats by your side. 

Sorry to hear about Darcey  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:23:32 AM »
it is very early days, they will settle - I think the general advice on this is not to approach them but to sit in the same room quietly perhaps reading or something and eventually they will approach you, I think ham comes into it somewhere to

Offline MaryFM

• Adult Cat
Just rehomed two cats one has settled the other is very upset
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 00:37:32 AM »
Hi
I just rehomed two house cats Socks is 2 years old  and Mo is 1 year old. The lady who owned them just had a baby and felt she could not devout the time to them that they needed.

I know it's early days as I just brought them home on Tuesday night but Socks the one who was the very friendly one has taken refuge in my kitchen in a cat bungalow I have in the corner and when you go over and she is sitting up and can see you through the roof opening she growls, hisses and spits, so I back off gracefully. Mo who was supposed to be the very shy one was  in the bungalow with Socks for about an hour then started to explore and has been into everything, comes over to have her head scratched etc.,

A little about myself my Darcey my beloved 20 year old long haired tabby torte had to be put to sleep almost 3 weeks ago due to loosing the power in her lower back and back legs, although she was coping with CRF and I knew she'd go sometime I was devastated.  I have always had kittens so this is my first time with older cats I am well prepared to let them settle in their own time but if any one has any advice regarding Socks I'd really appreciate it, Mo is eating everything put in front of her, I don't think Socks has eaten anything nor used the litter box which the previous owner give me.

Thanks so much.

Link to CatChat